Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.
Nice, I think your write up is actually better than the old debunk that popped up in this thread. I'm sure it will come in handy for some of us.

Edit: Oh poo poo, new page. Here's some content. These are both from the same lady's wall. I was floored when she recently posted some pro-Carter memes (generally all about faith) but thought the comments on this one were pretty great.

Scruff McGruff fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jul 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I'm surprised I didn't know about Phyllis Schlafley until today, but I just read about her and I feel like I need to take a shower.

Oh, and her son is the creator of Conservapedia, hahahaha.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Nolanar posted:

Okay, I did a little reading and made a draft of a response to that idiotic Anschluss forward. Anyone have feedback on it before I :justpost:?

Nice summation but could you also put this in the 'help D&D debate and discuss' thread?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I remember the 'minimum wage for everyone except soldiers' campaign. It was never very popular. Because it didn't exist outside of conservative memes.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
Have you guys ever thought that maybe they're just complaining that soldiers are overpaid? Maybe we should cut soldier's pay rates so that they are motivated to do something other than rely on government assistance.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

SquadronROE posted:

Have you guys ever thought that maybe they're just complaining that soldiers are overpaid? Maybe we should cut soldier's pay rates so that they are motivated to do something other than rely on government assistance.

There is a hell of an idea for a troll against the our troops types. :heysexy:

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

"God helps those who help themselves. Now get off my lawn!" -Jesus Christ

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

seiferguy posted:

I'm surprised I didn't know about Phyllis Schlafley until today, but I just read about her and I feel like I need to take a shower.

Oh, and her son is the creator of Conservapedia, hahahaha.

Any mention of Andy Schlafly should be accompanied by this video of getting smacked the gently caress down by actual real legal scholars:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pvZ8N1qvcA

Dude is a next level crank. Most cranks kind of stay in their lane and plug away fruitlessly in one direction like physics or sovereign citizenship. Andy manages to apply the crank mindset to all areas of his life at all times. He is the ultimate Dunning-Kruger Renaissance Man.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

ErIog posted:

Any mention of Andy Schlafly should be accompanied by this video of getting smacked the gently caress down by actual real legal scholars:

Dude is a next level crank. Most cranks kind of stay in their lane and plug away fruitlessly in one direction like physics or sovereign citizenship. Andy manages to apply the crank mindset to all areas of his life at all times. He is the ultimate Dunning-Kruger Renaissance Man.

Here's the transcript if you like a long read.

There's also the case of Richard Lenski which is a whole other case of :wtc:.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Haha! It's cute and funny because he started a pointless war that wasted billions of dollars and thousands of lives! But some people applauded a person who changed their sex so it's all even! Haha!

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Duke Igthorn posted:

Haha! It's cute and funny because he started a pointless war that wasted billions of dollars and thousands of lives! But some people applauded a person who changed their sex so it's all even! Haha!

The cost is over a trillion. Much more when you consider interest and veterans benefits.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

The cost is over a trillion. Much more when you consider interest and veterans benefits.

But who considers those in the cost of war? :suicide: :patriot:

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

ErIog posted:

This video :allears:

The judge wonders why he has to do this. Why does he need to explain why a letter from George Washington to somebody else is irrelevant? Why does he need to listen to this man ramble about things he knows nothing about? Why did he wake up this morning? Couldn't he have called in sick today? Questions, questions. But never any answers. He sighs as he draws his katana.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Rick_Hunter posted:

But who considers those in the cost of war? :suicide: :patriot:

PTSD is the great equalizer.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

The judge wonders why he has to do this. Why does he need to explain why a letter from George Washington to somebody else is irrelevant? Why does he need to listen to this man ramble about things he knows nothing about? Why did he wake up this morning? Couldn't he have called in sick today? Questions, questions. But never any answers. He sighs as he draws his katana.

I reallly really ... really... don't want to read what Schlafly said or watch it because it's so cringeworthy just thinking about it, but I'm assuming that Schlafly's entire argument is an appeal to tradition and not based in the law in any way?

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Dude that may be true but a sniper got called a coward in a very roundabout way so even Steven right?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Rick_Hunter posted:

I reallly really ... really... don't want to read what Schlafly said or watch it because it's so cringeworthy just thinking about it, but I'm assuming that Schlafly's entire argument is an appeal to tradition and not based in the law in any way?

Pretty much.

Also,

quote:

After the 1972 proposal of the Equal Rights Amendment (ERA), Schlafly reorganized her efforts to defeat its ratification, founding the group "Stop ERA"[7] and starting the Eagle Forum Newsletter. In 1975 Stop ERA was renamed the Eagle Forum.[7]

The organization is... supportive of women's role as "fulltime homemakers"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eagle_Forum

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

Rick_Hunter posted:

Phyllis Schlafly - rich and famous for going out and writing, giving speeches, and lobbying for women to shut up and stay in the kitchen. She and Thatcher can burn together in antifeminist hell.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Rick_Hunter posted:

It's even better than that. He (the judge) reads from the New York debates over ratification, where someone wanted to introduce an amendment that included recall powers in the Constitution (which was not included). Schafly's response is beautiful. He 'argues' that they had some other reasons to be against the Constitution, and even though they explicitly rejected it because of no recall provision, the Constitution in fact contains a recall provision (here's a quote from George Washington in a personal letter to a family member proving it) and their motivations had nothing to do with the recall provision. They are politicians! Icky!!! Yes, it's completely absurd, and the judge's reaction makes it wonderful.

He's like an exasperated teacher trying to get through to a particularly dense student that can't see why Huck Finn isn't about Tom Sawyer, because Mark Twain once wrote a different novel about him, after all!

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Rick_Hunter posted:

It's actually kind of the opposite. He's claiming there's some direct recall provision for Senators implied in the constitution. To argue this he makes the claim that recall was not ever a topic of consideration when the constitution was being drafted and ratified, and that everybody assumed it existed as an implied power. He was 100% wrong on all counts and his argument was, interestingly, the exact opposite of what he usually says about how the constitution should be interpreted.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Doctor Butts posted:

Nice summation but could you also put this in the 'help D&D debate and discuss' thread?

Done.

By the way, the guy who posted it on Facebook yet again Liked my comment without any further response, just like he did for the STEM/fem whining meme. I wonder how many times I can do this before he stops/snaps.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Oh, it's "Phyllis Schlafly" no "e"

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

I enjoy how pissy Andy gets in his writeup about his own case: http://www.conservapedia.com/Recall_election

quote:

Finally, on January 11, 2010, the Division of Elections delivered its "final determination": the Notice of Intention would be rejected, because the United States Constitution did not permit a State to recall either of its Senators. The lame-duck Secretary of State made that determination on the advice of the equally lame-duck Attorney General

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Better still:

Conservapedia posted:

At the time of posting, Andrew Schlafly, lead counsel to the recall committee, is planning to file his own writ of certiorari to the United States Supreme Court.
Senator Menendez will in any event next face re-election in 2012, since he belongs to Senate Class I. If he is defeated in that election, the case will then become moot.

It would seem to me if he wins, the point is also moot, as the electorate has decided to reinvest senatorial power in him despite perceived wrongdoings. I wonder how the 2012 election went?

Bob Menendez Wikipedia Article posted:

Menendez ran for re-election for a full second term and defeated Republican Joe Kyrillos on November 6, 2012.

Hahaha...

Unsurprisingly, like many of the Conservapedia articles that fail to pan out how they want, this article has been abandoned for over 5 years now.

Staryberry
Oct 16, 2009
Ugh, Michael Bay is doing a movie about Benghazi. Get ready for all the crazies...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CJBuUwd0Os

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD

Staryberry posted:

Ugh, Michael Bay is doing a movie about Benghazi. Get ready for all the crazies...

Is that Jim from The Office? That's Jim from The Office.

"The consulate is under attack!"
*makes :/ face at the camera*

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Defenestration posted:

Phyllis Schlafly - rich and famous for going out and writing, giving speeches, and lobbying for women to shut up and stay in the kitchen. She and Thatcher can burn together in antifeminist hell.

But she also tells people to get off welfare and get a job. The rules are different for poor women.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Scruff McGruff posted:

Nice, I think your write up is actually better than the old debunk that popped up in this thread. I'm sure it will come in handy for some of us.

Edit: Oh poo poo, new page. Here's some content. These are both from the same lady's wall. I was floored when she recently posted some pro-Carter memes (generally all about faith) but thought the comments on this one were pretty great.

"God helps those who help themselves" was arguably popularized by Benjamin Franklin. I prefer Luke 6:30

"Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back." -A communist probably. :jerkbag:

quote:

Negotiating with terrorists, supplying guns to drug cartels, and disarming our citizens were all Reagan, not Bush, but I won't hold it against them. :smug:

And an old goody:

"Violence in inner cities is a complex structural problem not easily reduced to a single cause? gently caress that, time to equivocate and spew bullshit as a 'joke'."

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Has anyone else noticed the correlation between houses being on fire and the presence of firemen? I've got this idea for how we can solve the fire problem...

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

My favorite part is when the judges point out that direct election of senators by the people didn't happen until 1913, and if there really was a provision to recall senators at any time, why didn't the state legislatures recall senators of the opposing party to put one of their own guys in? And Andy just spouts some bullshit about "Uh well you see they had bipartisan support and basic respect."

So I had a lady at work say something racist to me today, but I'm unsure of exactly how it was racist. I work at a pool as a lifeguard and the pool was fairly empty today, and a woman came in and started swimming (she was the only one in it) and she turned to me and asked "Where are all the African-Americans and Asian-Americans today?" The statement kind of took me by surprise and all I could say is "I don't know." I'm unsure of what she said exactly (indoor pool, so acoustics are a bit wonky at times) but it sounded as if she said something like "Today is the 29th. Ahaaaaaaaaaaaa" in the tone of voice like somebody coming to a realization.

I could have just misheard her but I'm not sure what significance July 29th has. I mean, I'm pretty confident what she was implying was racist as hell due to her first comment, but I don't know what it is. At first I thought maybe it was some sort of subtle welfare comment, like it's almost the end of the month and so people's welfare might be running out, but she threw in Asian-Americans which are generally considered "the good minority that work hard" so I don't think it's that. She could also just be going senile or something, but I can't help but wonder if there is some understandable logic behind her statement (assuming I heard it correctly).

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Twelve by Pies posted:

My favorite part is when the judges point out that direct election of senators by the people didn't happen until 1913, and if there really was a provision to recall senators at any time, why didn't the state legislatures recall senators of the opposing party to put one of their own guys in? And Andy just spouts some bullshit about "Uh well you see they had bipartisan support and basic respect."

So I had a lady at work say something racist to me today, but I'm unsure of exactly how it was racist. I work at a pool as a lifeguard and the pool was fairly empty today, and a woman came in and started swimming (she was the only one in it) and she turned to me and asked "Where are all the African-Americans and Asian-Americans today?" The statement kind of took me by surprise and all I could say is "I don't know." I'm unsure of what she said exactly (indoor pool, so acoustics are a bit wonky at times) but it sounded as if she said something like "Today is the 29th. Ahaaaaaaaaaaaa" in the tone of voice like somebody coming to a realization.

I could have just misheard her but I'm not sure what significance July 29th has. I mean, I'm pretty confident what she was implying was racist as hell due to her first comment, but I don't know what it is. At first I thought maybe it was some sort of subtle welfare comment, like it's almost the end of the month and so people's welfare might be running out, but she threw in Asian-Americans which are generally considered "the good minority that work hard" so I don't think it's that. She could also just be going senile or something, but I can't help but wonder if there is some understandable logic behind her statement (assuming I heard it correctly).

Feast of Saint Olaf II? Opening day of the Faroe Island legislature? International Tiger Day? Anniversary of Hitler's nomination as head of the NSDAP?

It's probably the Olaf thing.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Probably something to do with food stamps, like if they expire at the end of the month. (Or if she thinks they do, anyhow).

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Duke Igthorn posted:

Dude that may be true but a sniper got called a coward in a very roundabout way so even Steven right?

Maybe they're just mad because 'coward' is the wrong way to spell 'lying, racist loving scumbag'? :shrug:

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
I mean you'll definitely find your racists that associate Asians as seedy third world refugees (usually with Southeast Asians like Laotions, Cambodians, Vietnamese, etc.) plundering Our Country but I don't see what food stamps have to do with pools :psyduck:.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Mo_Steel posted:

"Violence in inner cities is a complex structural problem not easily reduced to a single cause? gently caress that, time to equivocate and spew bullshit as a 'joke'."

Careful with that kind of opinion, could get you probated.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
When people get huffy about a sniper getting called a coward, I like to suggest that if they like snipers, they might like the movie "Eyes of a Thief" a movie about a Palestinain Sniper who killed 10 Israelis at a checkpoint.
For some reason, they don't think that guy is as heroic.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Dr. Killjoy posted:

I mean you'll definitely find your racists that associate Asians as seedy third world refugees (usually with Southeast Asians like Laotions, Cambodians, Vietnamese, etc.) plundering Our Country but I don't see what food stamps have to do with pools :psyduck:.

They're at the welfare office or out selling the food stamps for crack rocks obviously.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Staryberry posted:

Is that Gale from Breaking Bad as the guy telling them to wait?

I hope Vilerat gets at least a mention, but knowing films like this... :smith:

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

The Shortest Path posted:

Is that Gale from Breaking Bad as the guy telling them to wait?

I hope Vilerat gets at least a mention, but knowing films like this... :smith:

The trailer makes it seem like it is also about ARE TROOPS ELITE OPERATORS HOORAH! and barely even about the events of and leading up to the embassy attack and those killed in said attack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

KiteAuraan posted:

The trailer makes it seem like it is also about ARE TROOPS ELITE OPERATORS HOORAH! and barely even about the events of and leading up to the embassy attack and those killed in said attack.

Michael Bay is infuriating because he is an immensely talented filmmaker who I believe is incapable of making his Schindler's List because he just like owning boats made of gold too much.