Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

BigRed0427 posted:

Quick question, where the gently caress did the free phone come from? Is that even true?

more information than you could possibly need on the subject: https://www.fcc.gov/lifeline

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
And as much as the right is screeching about giving free things to Those People if memory serves a significant driver for it was disaster warning. Entire areas had no phone service whatsoever partly because telecoms wouldn't wire up places that weren't likely to be profitable until the government forced them to and partly because some entire neighborhoods/towns/areas were full of people who couldn't afford phones. It would take them days to get mail or people out to send a message the rest of the world and say "hey there's a gigantic disaster hitting we're going to panic, warn you, and ask for help." It would take longer for the disaster services to even hear about the disaster which meant poo poo just got worse as it was not mitigated. But if everybody has a phone within short walking distance then it's a quick 911 call and the appropriate authorities know that poo poo Just Got Real.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

ToxicSlurpee posted:

And as much as the right is screeching about giving free things to Those People if memory serves a significant driver for it was disaster warning. Entire areas had no phone service whatsoever partly because telecoms wouldn't wire up places that weren't likely to be profitable until the government forced them to and partly because some entire neighborhoods/towns/areas were full of people who couldn't afford phones. It would take them days to get mail or people out to send a message the rest of the world and say "hey there's a gigantic disaster hitting we're going to panic, warn you, and ask for help." It would take longer for the disaster services to even hear about the disaster which meant poo poo just got worse as it was not mitigated. But if everybody has a phone within short walking distance then it's a quick 911 call and the appropriate authorities know that poo poo Just Got Real.

Also, "Why don't those lazy poors get a job!?"

At the top of all job application forms: "Home Phone Number"

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Popular Thug Drink posted:

i'm trying to identify all the things which are specifically illegal in that plan

-renting your own residence through section 8
-claiming a kid on your taxes for the credit but not including your income in SNAP/Obamacare calculations
-pell grant money not spent on tuition, fees, on-campus housing, books
-false disability claims

anything else?

Claiming SNAP benefits while going to school and not working at least 20 hours per week.

Also, to receive the full amount for Pell grants, you need to go to school full time and maintain a 2.0 gpa so to get all this free money would require putting in 20+ hours a week worth of class time and homework for that sweet education money. Add in at least 20 hours a week working a job that pays so little that you qualify for food stamps and you're really living the good life here, folks. Sign me the gently caress up. And loving lol at how easy people think it is to get on Section 8 or SSDI

This actually reminds me of a thought I had the other day about the immigrants trying to get into the UK. I was listening to a radio story and one of the presenters was asking a guest why people who were already in France were trying so hard to get to the UK and she said that there was a wide spread belief among immigrants that there were really great benefits and under the table jobs to be had there. So I started to wonder what effect the anti-immigrant "they're taking our jobs and benefits!!" rhetoric had on actually convincing people to try to enter places like the UK and the US. I mean, if all these people are super pissed about all the great welfare programs undocumented people are getting, maybe its worth trying to storm the chunnel / cross the desert to get in on some of that?

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD

Jurgan posted:

Also, "Why don't those lazy poors get a job!?"

At the top of all job application forms: "Home Phone Number"

Yeah I never understood that, how do people expect someone to schedule an interview (possibly multiple) and then receive the job offer if they don't have access to a phone or email? Do they still think you just walk in, ask for an interview, get the interview immediately, then get the job offer that same day?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

PUGGERNAUT posted:

Yeah I never understood that, how do people expect someone to schedule an interview (possibly multiple) and then receive the job offer if they don't have access to a phone or email? Do they still think you just walk in, ask for an interview, get the interview immediately, then get the job offer that same day?

It doesn't come to mind. The reason "why do they need phones" doesn't matter, it's just "people are getting phones for free" that's cared about.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

PUGGERNAUT posted:

I've dealt with at least one person who seems to unironically think that, and possibly even that they can skip the interview.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
These days you can get a smart phone with a touch screen and wifi for about 100 bucks. 2nd and 3rd generation iPhones and Galaxies are easily gotten at those prices. YOu can get a very reasonable phone plan for these, and use free wifi in many locations. This gives a person internet access and phone access for getting jobs and doing other business related things, and also gives the person nearly limitless free entertainment. It is seriously one of the best investments a poor person can possibly make.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

PUGGERNAUT posted:

It's probably because it's been so long since they entered the work force that that is literally how they got their first job and don't understand it's not like that anymore. Half the time, you go into the store to ask about applying and they just tell you to go to their website, which you dutifully fill out the application on, and never hear a word ever again.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Man, my feed is filled with stupidity.

My cousin (that was a nurse until she decided to homeschool her children because they only learn a month's worth of knowledge in public schools and now her children learn important skills like how to clean a gun during school):

Image is a velociraptor with the text "If a fetus is not alive, why is a person who kills a pregnant woman charged with double homicide?"

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Got this posted today by my brother in law:

It included a picture of "white trash":

THE 2015 USA WELFARE PLAN

For a guy and his girlfriend with two kids. Follow these proven steps.
1. Don't get married to her.
2. Always use your mom's address to get mail.
3. The guy buys a house.
4. Guy rents out house to his girlfriend who has 2 of his kids.
5. Section 8 will pay $900 a month for a 3 bedroom home.
6. Girlfriend signs up for Obamacare so guy doesn't have to pay for family insurance.
7. Girlfriend gets to go to college for free being a single mother
8. Girlfriend gets $600 a month for food stamps
9. Girlfriend gets free cell phone
10. Girlfriend get free utilities.
11. Guy moves into home but continues to use moms house to get mail sent to.
12. Girlfriend claims one kid and guy claims one kid on taxes. Now you both get to claim head of house hold at $1800 credit.
13. Girlfriend gets disability for being "crazy" or having a "bad back" at $1800 a month and never has to work again.
This plan is perfectly legal and is being executed now by millions of people.
A married couple with a stay at home mom yields $0 dollars.
An unmarried couple with stay at home mom nets.
$21,600 disability +
$10,800 free housing +
$6,000 free obamacare +
$6000 free food +
$4,800 free utilities +
$6,000 pell grant money to spend +
$12,000 a year in college tuition free from pell grant + $8,800 tax benefit for being a single mother = ---------
$75,000 a year in benefits
Any idea why the country is 18 + trillion dollars in debt?

See, I actually have no problem with people doing this. A couple raising a kid together with one going to college? Sounds like a good America to live in.
Sounds like bootstraps to me? Oh, what's that, abusing the system is only ok if you are rich?

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Man, my feed is filled with stupidity.

My cousin (that was a nurse until she decided to homeschool her children because they only learn a month's worth of knowledge in public schools and now her children learn important skills like how to clean a gun during school):

Image is a velociraptor with the text "If a fetus is not alive, why is a person who kills a pregnant woman charged with double homicide?"

I'm pretty sure that it's not double homicide, it's homicide and unlawful termination of a fetus.

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED

taiyoko posted:

I'm pretty sure that it's not double homicide, it's homicide and unlawful termination of a fetus.

Depends on the state.

http://www.ncsl.org/research/health/fetal-homicide-state-laws.aspx

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

PUGGERNAUT posted:

Yes. Apparently, you can get a trade job by walking up to a foreman or manager, shaking his hand and telling him you want to work. Apparently, it's still the 70s.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

This one popped up on the feed.

And the reactions include people who didn't quite get it.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Very sorry to dissapoint, but there doesn't seem to be any Lafayette thing in this weeks harvest. Is almost as if theres some reason they don't want to talk about it...some factor they don't want to bring up...

Anyway, THIS WEEK IN LL 101!

If you want tom stop kids from ruin ing their lives, but also stop them from ruining their lives, you are clearly not supposed to be teaching kids.

Gee, its almost as if you wouldn't notice it when people you agree with try to impose their will on you.

Remember they think this is something to promote about him.

quote:

Earlier this week, Mary Hasson broke the news here at the Federalist that federal funds went to Planned Parenthood’s salad-munching, wine-sipping, organ-harvesting Dr. Deborah Nucatola for advice on “healthy baby” births.

Hasson requested all communications and documents relevant to any payments to or compensation of fees, consultant fees, reimbursements, etc. to Deborah Nucatola, MD, a Planned Parenthood employee. And she requested that the documents be sent as soon as possible.

The Freedom of Information Act requires the federal government to be transparent, but successfully receiving information from the Obama Administration has gone so poorly — even more poorly than previous administrations — that many media outlets have resorted to suing the federal government to get them to respond to FOIA requests.

In March it was announced that the Obama administration had set new records for censoring information, outright denying access to information, and length of time to fulfill requests. They also, “refused a record number of times to turn over files quickly that might be especially newsworthy,” according to the Associated Press.

Since FOIA requests can routinely take years to fulfill, if they’re ever filled, Hasson requested that the Health and Human Services FOIA office expedite her request. She wrote:

“The public has a right to know of any federal monies going to Dr. Nucatola in light of the video, released by the Center for Medical Progress, that includes remarks by Dr. Nucatola that raise questions about whether federal laws may have been violated regarding patients’ informed consent for fetal tissue, and conflict of interest. Expedited processing required because of planned or pending Congressional hearings and the public’s demand for transparency on this issue.”

You’ll never guess what happened next.

HHS denied her request for expedited information on the compensation and payments given to Nucatola. They claimed it didn’t fit the public’s “urgent” right to know:

“Further, in order to meet second prong of the compelling need standard, the requested information must be the type of information that has a particular value that will be lost if not disseminated quickly, and ordinarily refers to a breaking news story of general public interest.”

HHS is arguing that the Planned Parenthood scandal, the very same one that has Planned Parenthood honcho Cecile Richards panicking and running every public relations response in the book, is not a “breaking news story of general public interest!”

To be sure, while HHS denied Hasson’s expedited FOIA request, they could at some point in the years to come respond to Hasson’s simple information request. Or, then again, maybe not.

To think, they don't see edited videos as a reason to divulge the information.

Giving all the emails requested? IMPRISON HER!

And those who can't? Oh, we're going to pretend that doesn't happen?

quote:

Puerto Rico, a U.S. commonwealth, has been struggling with $72 billion in debt and soaring unemployment. The Pew Research Center calculates that the island’s population dropped by 11,000 people a year in the 1990s, but between 2010 and 2013, the loss accelerated to 48,000 a year.

This year, with economic problems growing, the number leaving for the mainland is even higher.

Puerto Rican voters tend to lean Democratic, but a great number of the newcomers do not identify with any party, making them appealing targets for politicians and recruiters on both sides. Like those living in other U.S. territories, people in Puerto Rico cannot vote for president in the U.S. general election.

“Everyone remembers that George W. Bush won Florida by 537 votes in 2000. You are talking about 1,000 families coming here a month. It’s stunning,” said Anthony Suarez, president of the Puerto Rican Bar Association in Florida. He has helped organize a bipartisan forum that he calls “Political Salsa” to engage newcomers on the issues.

They'll have to rely on their sensitive outreach to minorities here.

And there's no way we could make the process any more stringent.

So they interpret #BlackLivesMatter as #BlackChoicesDon't

Like, you know, they loving are now.

quote:

The Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) program has many problems. For starters, it will run out of money next year, which could mean 20-percent benefit cuts. The program also suffers from excessive wait times, complicated rules and procedures, inconsistent decisions, deficient rehabilitation services and insufficient protections against fraud.

Introducing an optional, private disability insurance component could ease the program’s financial problems and improve the physical and economic well-being of the disabled. Private disability insurance providers face a bottom line—if their premiums can’t cover costs, they go out of business. SSDI faces Congress—and therefore can escape financial reality. Can’t cover costs? Just ask Congress to hike raises, a request that lawmakers have a hard time refusing. Since 1956, the SSDI tax rate—taken direct from every paycheck—has more than tripled.

But competition keeps private insurers from hiking premiums whenever they want more money. If they increase prices without providing better benefits, they lose clients. Taxpayers, however, can’t opt to take their SSDI tax payments and shop elsewhere.

And there's no wy all these companies could just not cover anything costly - because REASONS!

D. Countries that wasted billions when they managed to crash a space probe by directing it in feet and inches, and people who didn't.

Why would people be more offended by a symbol of salvery than of curing cancer? Must be crazy

"And where does the government get off deciding who can enact a genocide and who can't?"

quote:

Legendary Jewish comic Jackie Mason joined the list of critics of the nuclear deal signed between world powers and Iran Sunday, jesting that New York restaurants face a harsher inspections regime than Iran’s nuclear facilities will under the terms of the agreement.

Speaking during an interview to air Sunday night on “Aaron Klein Investigative Radio” on New York’s AM 970 The Answer and Philadelphia’s NewsTalk 990 AM, Mason, an outspoken advocate of Israel, quipped that US Secretary of State John Kerry should pay the American people back for the cost of his airfare to and from the Iran talks.

“First Obama said we can inspect them any time, any place, whenever we please. Now it turns out ‘whenever we please’ except when they don’t allow it. If they don’t want it it’s up to them. So then we have to wait 28 days [sic] to inspect, as if to say for the 28 days we can trust them completely, because they’ll do nothing. They’ll just hold the bomb in front of us waiting for us to come so they can show it to us. That’s how stupid this negotiation is to us,” he said.

“Do you know that in the restaurants of New York, they have an inspection system. You can surprise any restaurant without notice that you can walk in and inspect them… So we are protected in this city from a bad tuna fish. We’re not protected from a bomb but we’re protected from a bad quality of a tuna fish,” Mason joked.

Hah, its funny, cause its propaganda.

Yeah, like you loving care.

Well, at least its not a minstrel character this time.

A plan thats never worked and doesn't address the reasons they move overseas. THAT'LL work.

quote:

The city’s Public Works agency is testing a pee-repellant paint on walls in areas that have been saturated with urine. Anyone urinating on the specially treated walls will get the spray splashed back onto them.

San Francisco’s director of public works, Mohammed Nuru – whose Twitter handle is @MrCleanSF – got the idea when he read on social media about the use of the paint in Hamburg, Germany’s nightclub district to stop beer drinkers from relieving themselves in the street.

The paint, called Ultra-Ever Dry, is sold by Ultratech International Inc and is billed as a superhydrophobic coating that will repel most liquids.

“The urine will bounce back on the guys pants and shoes. The idea is they will think twice next time about urinating in public,” said Rachel Gordon, a Public Works Department spokeswoman. She said the super-hard coating made the “bounce back” effect much stronger than when peeing on a regular wall.

From the comments…

“In Los Angeles this was one of many stories that aired on the news. Stupid just got stupider in San Francisco. I have a garage on the alleyway that is slightly set back and had a pee problem from the vagrants who bicycle the alley looking for aluminum cans. I installed a shower head attached to the garage that hung 10 feet over the pee spot, attached the water line to a motion detector and water solenoid. Included in the circuit was a high beam light, also controlled by the motion detector. One evening I saw the light come on, heard a yell and when I opened the back gate I saw a very wet man riding away on his bicycle. After a few douches of cold water, no more pee problem. I suggest if SF really wants to clean up these area’s, do the same … except use reclaimed water as the source.”—Patrick

Yeah, instead of using technology, just rig a hobo soaker to the entire city. THATS the cheap alternative.

I think that the terrorists have less ability to sabotage the US than the NRA, so they're in the clear.

Whereas if you give that guy a handgun, suddenly, totally a fair fight.

"We have to show them America cannot be trusted"

Remember, its totally public schooling that teaches you not to think for yourself. WHereas teaching by the church and parents always stresses questioning their authority.

And every member who opposes the deal is responsible for all the terrorism they supported in the past, I assume?

quote:

Federal law bans the sale of unborn babies’ body parts. In fact, it’s a criminal act. However, the devil in this case is literally in the details. The law provides a massive loophole, allowing payment for a whole range of things associated with selling aborted babies organs, including “reasonable payments associated with the transportation, implantation, processing, preservation, quality control, or storage of human fetal tissue.”

Planned Parenthood is exploiting this deadly loophole, claiming that it is in full compliance with the law because it supposedly doesn’t “profit[] in any way” from this grotesque business practice. In fact, Planned Parenthood’s first response to the videos was to assert, “There is no financial benefit for tissue donation for . . . Planned Parenthood.”

This is a boldfaced lie.

Planned Parenthood, according to it’s own reported data, commits 327,653 abortions each year, which it brags is “40 percent of the market in the whole country.” According to Planned Parenthood’s Director of Medical Research, abortionist Deborah Nucatola, the going rate for babies’ body parts is “anywhere from $30 to $100.” And according to the president of Planned Parenthood’s Medical Directors’ Council, abortionist Mary Gatter, “maybe 60% to 70%, but a large percent of patients we approached would say yes” to having their aborted babies’ body parts harvested.

Conservatively, Planned Parenthood could be taking in between $5,897,754 and $22,935,710 annually from selling aborted babies’ body parts. That’s a lot of “Lamborghini” Diablos.

The loophole of being reimbursed when they pay to provide tissue for research.

Benefeits comparison? No? Thought as much.

Ever notice he only talks about what he did and never mentions the outcomes that happened from it? eh, its must be nothing.

...who the gently caress are they going to complain to? "Dear biological functions..."

So owning a gun is much like being a zombie, in that it makes you a mindless killing machine, absolutely useless to society.

Republicans want us to believe attacks on women aren't a major part of their platofrm. Fine. Then stop performing them.

Yeah, you're probably seeing why they didn't try to pursue this.

And since I can't top it, thats all for part 1

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

quote:

"tax code which is d
riving"

:cawg:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Fulchrum posted:

D. Countries that wasted billions when they managed to crash a space probe by directing it in feet and inches, and people who didn't.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Facebook has the awesome ability to let me know which of my friends are racist, and which members of the various aquatics clubs I am in are horribly racist and anti-women.

So many people about PP selling baby organs. Not fetus. Of course. My question, which has always been shot down or I've been told I need to "stop believing the liberal lies and read something adult" is just, let's suppose PP -is- selling fetal body parts. To who? Seeing as most abortions are way early on and the fetus doesn't have any real easy parts to remove safely where you could use them on another (fetus? An already born child? Are there COMA or Spares vats somewhere where they use magic sci-fi to age tissues and livers to fit adults?) person. So who is buying them? Did China stop making tiger penis soup in favor of American Baby soup?

Nine times out of ten it's men posting. And yet when I propose how to make all abortion save for medical need illegal, they scream I am a feminazi and ask what is wrong with me. My supervillain plan? From today on every man will freeze several samples of sperm and then get a vasectomy. Only when he is shooting blanks can he go back to intercourse and needs to get a yearly checkup to make sure nothing has regrown together (if this happens, ignorance of the law is no excuse. Resnip again. For the second offense full removal of the testes and scrotum.). When a couple wants to have a baby, they use his stored sperm and the woman is inseminated in the office and stays for a week to insure everything has taken place. Every pregnancy is controlled and done in a clean hospital so there is no chance of those abortion-giver sperm getting out. It's logical: at most a woman can have ONE abortion at a time. But a man can impregnate several women who will then all choose to murder their babies. Clearly the issue is the men. And this way the only reason a woman will need an abortion is if something is medically wrong with her or the fetus. No unplanned pregnancies. No rape babies. It's foolproof!

But then I am a feminazi and evil and support abortion. Clearly, according to the 40 year old fathers on FB who are whining that people are wanting the man who shot Cecil dead but "are fine with millions of babies murdered every year" they have the right mindset and I'm the one who is crazy.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Fulchrum posted:

Whereas if you give that guy a handgun, suddenly, totally a fair fight.

You were saying? :smugbert:

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Fulchrum posted:

"And where does the government get off deciding who can enact a genocide and who can't?"

So no more tax breaks and subsidies for the 1% and major corporations? I can get behind this.

Neowyrm
Dec 23, 2011

It's not like I pack a lunch box full of missiles when I go to work!

Mo_Steel posted:

You were saying? :smugbert:

Bless

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

Fulchrum posted:

Anyway, THIS WEEK IN LL 101!

Why yes, teens do make a lot of dumb decisions, therefor it's a good idea for them to have easy access to birth control. You wouldn't want them to need an abortion, would you?

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD

lol how old are these fuckers, is that seriously the most recent "authority figure in over his head" they know from the tv?

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Poizen Jam posted:

Why yes, teens do make a lot of dumb decisions, therefor it's a good idea for them to have easy access to birth control. You wouldn't want them to need an abortion, would you?

Nah, we can shame them and their next 3 generations with poverty and self-righteousness the way Gawd intended. Checkmate, libtard. :smuggo:

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Cowslips Warren posted:

So many people about PP selling baby organs. Not fetus. Of course. My question, which has always been shot down or I've been told I need to "stop believing the liberal lies and read something adult" is just, let's suppose PP -is- selling fetal body parts. To who? Seeing as most abortions are way early on and the fetus doesn't have any real easy parts to remove safely where you could use them on another (fetus? An already born child? Are there COMA or Spares vats somewhere where they use magic sci-fi to age tissues and livers to fit adults?) person. So who is buying them? Did China stop making tiger penis soup in favor of American Baby soup?

This Radiolab episode is about a family that donated their anencephalic infant's organs, but it touches on a lot of that stuff.

http://www.radiolab.org/story/grays-donation/

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Forceholy posted:

Yes. Apparently, you can get a trade job by walking up to a foreman or manager, shaking his hand and telling him you want to work. Apparently, it's still the 70s.

There are people who unironically believe this still works: Report: 95% Of Grandfathers Got Job By Walking Right Up And Just Asking

Fulchrum posted:

The loophole of being reimbursed when they pay to provide tissue for research.

My friend gave me a ride the other day and put ten dollars of gas in his car, then asked me for ten dollars to cover it. He must be rich with all the profit he's making from deals like that!

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Twelve by Pies posted:

There are people who unironically believe this still works: Report: 95% Of Grandfathers Got Job By Walking Right Up And Just Asking

I really, really hate having conversations about my personal situation with people because they always say "well did you..." as if I'm a dumbass that didn't think of something. A lot of people do seriously, genuinely believe that there is effectively infinite demand for labor and anybody that doesn't work is just lazy. Ideas like "discouraged workers" or "there are several million fewer jobs now than there was 10 years ago" just won't register. The average time somebody waits to find a new job after losing one has gone up dramatically and "I can have a new job by dinner time" just isn't a thing but that of course doesn't stop people from assuming that it is.

Or just saying "well if Obama didn't..." and then blaming you if you voted for Obama. It's insane.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

PUGGERNAUT posted:

lol how old are these fuckers, is that seriously the most recent "authority figure in over his head" they know from the tv?

They also never realized that the Andy Griffith Show believed in gun control. They didn't even have to pass a bill to limit Barney to his one bullet, he voluntarily complied with it. Also, Andy didn't like carrying a gun and did just fine without one.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Does this look credible to you?

Links to this story

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I really, really hate having conversations about my personal situation with people because they always say "well did you..." as if I'm a dumbass that didn't think of something. A lot of people do seriously, genuinely believe that there is effectively infinite demand for labor and anybody that doesn't work is just lazy. Ideas like "discouraged workers" or "there are several million fewer jobs now than there was 10 years ago" just won't register. The average time somebody waits to find a new job after losing one has gone up dramatically and "I can have a new job by dinner time" just isn't a thing but that of course doesn't stop people from assuming that it is.
Or the fact that there are more people looking for work than jobs for people to do. Unless you can in fact poo poo gold bricks, "Just get a job" isn't an option any more.

PhantomZero
Sep 7, 2007

darthbob88 posted:

Or the fact that there are more people looking for work than jobs for people to do. Unless you can in fact poo poo gold bricks, "Just get a job" isn't an option any more.

I brought this up to my dad and he suggested minorities and other jobless should "create jobs" then if they couldn't find one.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

PhantomZero posted:

I brought this up to my dad and he suggested minorities and other jobless should "create jobs" then if they couldn't find one.

They do, typically their labor. Just look at any given 7/11 or home depot at 6 am. Not surprisingly these jobs are not steady and don't pay that well.

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx

PhantomZero posted:

Yeah, how about they take their $0 in capital or assists and just open a lemonade stand or something! Your dad is my dad. This country is ruled by dads.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Well, for a person with limited skills or capital, there is always the option of creating jobs like "Burglar" or "Smuggler."

They aren't the most prestigious jobs but they tend to create a lot of additional jobs in the process. It's a win-win!

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

PhantomZero posted:

Wait wait, I thought it was the rich who were the job creators?

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

Some people talking about this guy and this article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/02/business/a-company-copes-with-backlash-against-the-raise-that-roared.html?smid=fb-nytimes&smtyp=cur

Honestly this type of thing makes me really sad. Everyone got raises but some people felt that it was unfair that regular Joe Blow in the company makes as much or almost as much as experienced employees. Nothing changed for them and they all make plenty of money, yet some people quit anyway. Of course assholes making this seem like it proves that raising wages = bad.

This isn't crab mentality. This is "I already have it and now I am mad that you have it." Does this have a name?

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

This isn't crab mentality. This is "I already have it and now I am mad that you have it." Does this have a name?

gently caress You, Got Mine.

Or "FYGM."

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

30 years of Reaganomics. :unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

Keeshhound posted:

gently caress You, Got Mine.

Or "FYGM."

I always saw this is as "I don't care about your plight because I am fine." The employees making 70k didn't care about those making 40k because of FYGM. But now that they both make 70k, there is a new petty rage there.