Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Trilas posted:

I used to get this all the time when I worked at Sears Parts and Repair (never work for Sears Parts and Repair). It's astonishing the poo poo people tell to complete strangers that I had to let pass completely uncontested.

"Atheists can't possibly be happy, just like liberals."
:jerkbag:

"13.50 for a motor!? Pff, and Obama says there's no inflation..."
:psyduck:

"I used to work at Sears tower back in the 60's. Chicago was such a great town. Had to take the misses and get out though. The blacks were ruining the place."
:stonk:I'm pretty sure he was talking about the Civil Rights Movement here.

I work in a hardware store in Indiana and I've gotten anything from straight up "friend of the family in the white hut" to "Chinks coming over and taking your jobs" (in reference to him hearing I was a cs student). The things some dumbass people say are ridiculous.

e: ack new page, no real content. My facebook is actually thankfully free of dumb poo poo like this but that's mainly because I keep my friends list closely cultivated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
I'm seeing some rebuttals on the top marginal tax rates of 90 percent 50 years ago being an actual effective 30 or 40 percent due to loopholes, but nobody seems to mention what loopholes still exist today with today's current effective tax rate if our top marginal rate is just under 40 percent. Basically people are saying "close the loopholes" vs "raise taxes," but it sounds like just rearranging chairs. Is there a way to look at actual tax revenues by year, or see what the actual effective top marginal rate is now and was then vs just people parroting poo poo.

This all had me thinking when trump's campaign is "Make America Great Again," and America was "great" with the top marginal rate being around 90 percent.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Scruff McGruff posted:

Really? I feel like back when I was reading the EMT megathread the consensus was that unless you were a full Paramedic with a fire department you were usually making minimum wage or just above (not including overtime). Obviously that's somewhat location dependent but it definitely seemed like a running theme. But I might be misremembering, that was a while ago, I can't even find that thread anymore.

That's not my experience, but I worked in big-market private hospitals so my expectations might be skewed.

Sure as poo poo though that a full-paramedic isn't making burger-flipping money.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
You know who faces real (hypothetical) persecution?

That's right

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
I'm assuming they think that liberals would be outraged in that scenario, but actually most liberals I've ever met tend to believe in the rule of law, so...

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Both pictures are of exploited workers. The ones on the right are organizing and fighting back to get what they deserve.

It's not all bad for the guy on the left. Once the food service workers can get a lock on $15 an hour, he'll be able to say to his boss "Why the gently caress am I working these absurd shifts for less pay than a burger flipper. You fix this or I walk."

I'm stealing this.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I'm pretty sure that's the point of the gun meme: reminding conservatives that it'd be pretty loving dumb if instead of laws we had individual government clerks imposing their own personal morality on you.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Garrand posted:

I work in a hardware store in Indiana and I've gotten anything from straight up "friend of the family in the white hut" to "Chinks coming over and taking your jobs" (in reference to him hearing I was a cs student). The things some dumbass people say are ridiculous.

The only one like that I distinctly remember was working at Hardee's. Our store's employees were surprisingly diverse- at any given time, we probably had about three white and two black employees working. Some old white customer pulled me aside and said "I see this is one of the few fast food restaurants that hasn't reneged," but pronounced "re-nigged." I was just sort of like- what? Did he say what I think he said?

quote:

Basically people are saying "close the loopholes" vs "raise taxes," but it sounds like just rearranging chairs.

"Close loopholes" is the new "waste, fraud, and abuse." You can claim you'll raise tax revenue by closing loopholes, and cut spending by eliminating waste, fraud, and abuse. In both cases, you're using a platitude that sounds nice but is so vague as to be meaningless. So if someone says they want to close "loopholes," ask which ones. Mortgage deduction and child credit are two of the biggest, and it's very rare someone will explicitly endorsing eliminating those.

Jurgan fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Sep 3, 2015

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Uh... Guys?

quote:

Corey has frequently challenged Christian Fundamentalism, earning the ire of the Religious Right.[15] In 2014, the book Distortion: How the Christian Left is Twisting the Gospel & Damaging the Faith, promised to name the names of the new "Christian Left," in America[16] and Corey was among the Progressive Christian leaders referenced.[17] This was in large part because of his stance against what he calls "Pro-Life Hypocrisy" on the part of some conservative Christians.[18]

In addition to speaking out against Pro-Life hypocrisy while advocating for a more holistic, nonviolent Christian ethic, Corey has frequently challenged other key aspects of Christian fundamentalism such as the modern end times movement, which Corey states is a 19th-century invention and outside the realm of historic Christianity.[19] Corey is also one of a growing number of prominent Christians who are disputing Christianity's traditional teachings on hell, arguing in TIME magazine that the traditional view of "eternal conscious torment" is inconsistent with both the Scriptures and the character of a loving God.[20] Corey has also been a frequent voice against American Nationalism[21][22] within the Christian community, holding the position that Christians should pledge their loyalty only to God, and never to a nation state.[23] In addition, Corey has publicly challenged fundamentalism's treatment of the LGBTQ community.[24]

I don't think that's in support of Kim Davis.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
Maybe I should get a bullshit second minimum wage job, and the first time someone says something blatantly racist I just loving GO OFF on them and storm out.

"Wow, what I said had such an effect on that young man he quit rather than be in the same room as me."

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Jurgan posted:

The only one like that I distinctly remember was working at Hardee's. Our store's employees were surprisingly diverse- at any given time, we probably had about three white and two black employees working. Some old white customer pulled me aside and said "I see this is one of the few fast food restaurants that hasn't reneged," but pronounced "re-nigged." I was just sort of like- what? Did he say what I think he said?

Here in California where the service industry is so heavily Hispanic, it's always been weird to see how white the workers at in-n-out are. Never worked there, don't know the politics around it but I always notice.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC
I can't wait for minimum wage to hike up so I can tell my boss to give me a loving raise.

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Ron Jeremy posted:

I'm stealing this.

It doesn't work :smith:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
"or only benefit the bottom and ruin the middle class as they'd be making the same thing"
:ughh:

People making barely more than $15/hr considering themselves 'the middle class' is what ruined the working class. It was supposed to be Upper Class = land monopolists, industrialists, and institutional investors whose incomes come mostly in the form of their capital, Middle Class = skilled professionals who make almost as much as the bottom rung of the Upper Class, but do so via their labor and not their capital, though they may employ others, and the Working Class is everyone else who is at the mercy of the first two. Then there is the Underclass who have been prevented from even entering into the formal labor market.

Everyone wants to be middle class now though, from the junior manager barely making rent to the HENRY who barely gets by with two vacations a year and a summer house.

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Guavanaut posted:

"or only benefit the bottom and ruin the middle class as they'd be making the same thing"

People making barely more than $15/hr considering themselves 'the middle class' is what ruined the working class. It was supposed to be Upper Class = land monopolists, industrialists, and institutional investors whose incomes come mostly in the form of their capital, Middle Class = skilled professionals who make almost as much as the bottom rung of the Upper Class, but do so via their labor and not their capital, though they may employ others, and the Working Class is everyone else who is at the mercy of the first two. Then there is the Underclass who have been prevented from even entering into the formal labor market.

Everyone wants to be middle class now though, from the junior manager barely making rent to the HENRY who barely gets by with two vacations a year and a summer house.

This person started dating someone with pretty extreme views (like this one) a few years ago and married them not long after. Before their marriage, they didn't fall for the other person's bullshit very often but, well, this is what they've become.

It's like a virus, man. And they're so incredibly young.

Senf fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Sep 3, 2015

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Senf posted:

It doesn't work :smith:

I saw that you posted this in the IoSM thread too and all I can think is that people will find every excuse imaginable to gently caress over someone else just so they can't match them.

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Rick_Hunter posted:

I saw that you posted this in the IoSM thread too and all I can think is that people will find every excuse imaginable to gently caress over someone else just so they can't match them.

It's just really loving sad and frustrating. I've decided to keep touching the poop and might post more in the IoSM thread (because I don't really think it fits here outside of the context of my first), but whatever who cares burn it all down.

edit: I care :smith:

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

Senf posted:

It's just really loving sad and frustrating. I've decided to keep touching the poop and might post more in the IoSM thread (because I don't really think it fits here outside of the context of my first), but whatever who cares burn it all down.

edit: I care :smith:

Post it anyway, gets me twice as mad :argh:

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
In a discussion about that idiot in KY refusing marriage licenses to same-sex couples, this one guy will not shut the gently caress up about goose-stepping leftists and how unelected black robes are waging war against Christians, then he posted this doozy:

<<IMOP, the beginning of the slow destruction of our civil society started when women started murdering their own children, irrespective of rape, incest and life of the mother. They murdered those unborn children for convenience, this is the #1 black eye of America.>>

I almost posted a wiki link to the history of abortion, but I don't know the dude and he CLEARLY has a lot of time and I don't have time to touch the poop and get into it with him. People who honestly feel this way will never change, and it's all a bunch of dudes arguing how gay rights and abortion have ruined this country. That, and the Muslim in the white house.

EDIT - I really want to post the whole conversation, it's filled with gold. How do you guys take these clean cropped screenshots of Social Fixer posts? Can someone point me to a link that explains it to me as if I were a toddler?

VorpalBunny fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Sep 4, 2015

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
You can ask him his opinions about contraception and have some fun trolling him that way. You get the double-whammy of reduced abortions and reduced unintended pregnancies (possibly paid for by welfare!) fighting with the need to prevent women from having sex and spending money on the poor (even if it's for contraception). There's lots of ways people can reveal their hypocrisy if they just respond reflexively.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/06/science/colorados-push-against-teenage-pregnancies-is-a-startling-success.html?_r=0

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

VorpalBunny posted:

EDIT - I really want to post the whole conversation, it's filled with gold. How do you guys take these clean cropped screenshots of Social Fixer posts? Can someone point me to a link that explains it to me as if I were a toddler?

If you're using a mac it's Cmd + Shift + 4 and you drag the box around what you want to take a screenshot of. Usually it'll plop the .png on your desktop. I'm not sure how to do it on a PC.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Rick_Hunter posted:

If you're using a mac it's Cmd + Shift + 4 and you drag the box around what you want to take a screenshot of. Usually it'll plop the .png on your desktop. I'm not sure how to do it on a PC.

Use the Snipping Tool

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Boywhiz88 posted:

Use the Snipping Tool

I took screenshots and put them in paint, which I then cropped. There is probably an easier way to do it, but it works for me. I only got halfway through the post, man there is a lof of bullshit in there. Posting the first half shortly.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

So there are already memes complaining about news coverage of Kim Davis but no coverage about "7000" ccw licenses denied by a sheriff in California.

edit 1: The truth is, of course, that 7000 applications weren't denied. Orange County originally had pretty tight restrictions for CCW permits, but a federal court ruled that some counties had restrictions that were too tight, I think it was around 2014. So, this Orange County sheriff was one of the only ones to loosen them in response. However, 9th circuit is going to review, and in response to that, she tightened them again (in April). So, it just means a bunch of applications are slowed, and just require more restrictions.

Story regarding earlier decision and spike in permits:
http://www.latimes.com/local/orangecounty/la-me-concealed-weapons-20140901-story.html

quote:

That number will continue to rise as county officials process the stack of pending applications, which had grown to more than 2,800 by the end of August. Thousands more have requested appointments to apply for permits, officials said. In all, more than 7,000 people have filled out applications or requested appointments, sheriff's officials said.

Orange County Sheriff Sandra Hutchens is one of the only sheriffs in California to relax the standards after the ruling, even as a final decision remains pending before the U.S. 9th Circuit Court of Appeals.

Article about 9th circuit review in April:

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/concealed-656481-gun-people.html

quote:

For the last year, after a federal appeals court said the rules on concealed weapons in Orange County were too tough, Hutchens offered a more relaxed policy that allowed people to get a permit without a specific reason. About 5,000 people in Orange County did just that, getting permits to carry concealed weapons.

But on March 26, the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals made a second decision, this time that the full 14-judge panel will hear the gun issue. That essentially erased the earlier ruling.

In the wake of the court’s latest decision, Hutchens is shifting back to the so-called Good Cause policy on concealed weapons, requiring people who want to carry a gun to prove that they have a good reason to do so.

Typically, that means routinely carrying a lot of money or being in imminent danger.

In all, the tougher permit rules figure to stall or change about 7,000 concealed weapon applications currently being processed in Orange County.

edit 2: the meme

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Sep 4, 2015

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

This is only half the post, the crazy is here but it picks up more in the second half. If there is interest, I can post the rest. I didn't want to clog up the thread.

VorpalBunny fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Sep 4, 2015

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
As it stands none of that is readable.

Try again!

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

God in schools doesn't prevent teen pregnancy, but birth control does!

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Rick_Hunter posted:

Post it anyway, gets me twice as mad :argh:

I guess:

I cherry picked a few of those figures from memory, but you get the point. I'm debating another response.

But if a mod feels like this should be somewhere else, let me know.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Doctor Butts posted:

God in schools doesn't prevent teen pregnancy, but birth control does!

Yeah I know how he feels, I've always been against the inhibitor collars that prevent prayer all kids are issued day one of school :(.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Good thing for Bush then that he can indeed say a prayer in school, he just can't force others to pray or disrupt class with it.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Trivia posted:

As it stands none of that is readable.

Try again!

How about now?

I just realized some of it wasn't expanded. I wanted to make sure this gem got through, from Mario Speedwagon:

Question, would the iron fist of Government put a gun to the head of a devout Muslim for refusing to marry a gay couple. I think not. Christians are being persecuted all over the world and I'm tired of it. Radical gays are on the march seeking to inflict pain and now jail time to people who disagree with their radical agenda and stand with their faith. I say no to these gestapo tactics and stand with the constitution and this woman's rights. I don't know her heart but that's not the point, I stand with the constitution not these radical gays who roam the country forcing Americans to bend to their will.

:allears:

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

VorpalBunny posted:

How about now?

I just realized some of it wasn't expanded. I wanted to make sure this gem got through, from Mario Speedwagon:

Question, would the iron fist of Government put a gun to the head of a devout Muslim for refusing to marry a gay couple. I think not. Christians are being persecuted all over the world and I'm tired of it. Radical gays are on the march seeking to inflict pain and now jail time to people who disagree with their radical agenda and stand with their faith. I say no to these gestapo tactics and stand with the constitution and this woman's rights. I don't know her heart but that's not the point, I stand with the constitution not these radical gays who roam the country forcing Americans to bend to their will.

:allears:

I really wish I could live in the bizarre alternate reality these people's minds are in, I'd swing on by my local Gaystapo office and sign on.

Here in the real world, my city's LGBT community center has to have inch-thick bombproof windows and security guards with AR-15s and shotguns to protect it from fundamentalists who kept trying to firebomb it in the 1990s. While having a rainbow flag flying proudly from Fortress Gay in the middle of one of the most conservative states in the country is admittedly kind of cool, it would be much better if there really were 'radical gays on the march inflicting pain.'

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

VorpalBunny posted:

This is only half the post, the crazy is here but it picks up more in the second half. If there is interest, I can post the rest. I didn't want to clog up the thread.

Ugh, cheap shots about the woman being an "ugly slut," and a joke about raping a three year old. And these are the people on my side. No thanks.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Senf posted:

I guess:

I cherry picked a few of those figures from memory, but you get the point. I'm debating another response.

But if a mod feels like this should be somewhere else, let me know.

I think my favorite part of their response is that some people would make enough money to no longer require government assistance, and how that is apparently a BAD thing. Holy poo poo, how can people be that dense?

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

https://www.facebook.com/joshua.feuerstein.5?fref=nf

This guy's latest post was "liked" by my brother in law. It was so dumb that I thought it was a parody at first.

He also has a sweet website with what I imagine was the best photo they could get of him.

http://www.joshuafeuerstein.com/

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band

Gravel Gravy posted:

You know who faces real (hypothetical) persecution?

That's right

I'd refuse to issue a licence for that thing. 4.5mm in a 92 FS frame? What in the actual gently caress?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

It obviously won't help though. But here.

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Dirk the Average posted:

I think my favorite part of their response is that some people would make enough money to no longer require government assistance, and how that is apparently a BAD thing. Holy poo poo, how can people be that dense?

I responded (with a lot words and numbers) but I don't know how much more of this I can take so I'm probably done:

I still expect to see a response.

And one of their friends responded earlier , but I really don't know what he was trying to say because his page is filled with a bunch of racist so:

It never really helps :smith:

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Dirk the Average posted:

If the poors make enough money from their jobs that they don't need welfare, then we won't be able to hurt them by taking away their welfare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Mister Bates posted:

If the poors make enough money from their jobs that they don't need welfare, then we won't be able to hurt them by taking away their welfare.

Yeah

It's like we almost had a breakthrough or two but welp