Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

cheerfullydrab posted:

I don't think, apart from some extremists, that anyone believed the United States of America would ever become such a lovely country that the people of the USA would have to have some guns in the closet to enact a revolt.

Well, there was this:

Thomas Jefferson posted:

God forbid we should ever be 20 years without such a rebellion... The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants.

Jefferson was pretty drat radical at times.

Pat Buchanan posted:

Is Barack aware that black-on-white rapes are 100 times more common than the reverse

The missing word is "reported," or perhaps "convicted."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

quote:

Meanwhile, hypothetically, if we were able to somehow liquidize the money spent on entitlements like food stamps and Obamaphones, it would come out to approximately $67,000 per household, per year (which would mean that 100% of Americans would fall well above the poverty level)
I love the sleight of hand here. "Entitlements like food stamps and Obamaphones." My guess is this number comes from adding up all entitlement spending- in other words, "liquidize" (I don't think that's a word) Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid, completely defunding them. If the post had said that upfront, it would be ineffective because almost no one wants that, but the weasel word "like" allows her to pretend all entitlement spending is food stamps and phones while not technically saying that.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Twelve by Pies posted:

This is not entirely true. Quiverfull has been around since the 1930s. If you remember the Duggars, the people with 19 kids, they were getting famous during the Bush administration.

True, but the ideas behind evangelical opposition have changed. Before, it was "birth control is bad because it will tempt good girls to have icky sex before marriage." Now it's "birth control is bad because it's literally abortion." What's even stranger is that forty years ago being anti-abortion was a Catholic thing and most evangelicals didn't think it was a problem.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Sarion posted:

The NRA is now using this as an attack: Obama is a hypocrite because he doesn't want armed guards in schools, but allows his daughters to be protected by Secret Service officers!

Can we just respond with this:

Gun Violence Reduction Executive Actions posted:

18. Provide incentives for schools to hire school resource officers.

and call it a day?

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Leospeare posted:

Scenario 3:
Jeffrey will not be still in class, he disrupts other students.
1957 - Jeffrey sent to the Principal's office and given a good paddling by the Principal. He then returns to class, sits still and does not disrupt class again.
2012 - Jeffrey is given huge doses of Ritalin. He becomes a zombie. He is then tested for ADD. The family gets extra money (SSI) from the government because Jeffrey has a disability.

Oh, for the last time, people, RITALIN DOES NOT WORK THAT WAY! Ritalin is a stimulant. When it's used on people with ADHD, it gives them extra energy to focus better. If it is incorrectly prescribed for someone without any neuro-chemical imbalance, it does not turn the person into a "zombie," it actually makes them more hyperactive. Stop getting your medical facts off South Park.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Soonmot posted:

Honestly, the thought of anyone, rich or poor, having fifteen children horrifies me. I loving hate children, but how much time can the parents afford to give to any individual child and how much damage is being done? Won't someone think of the children!?

They get the older children to look after the younger. Yeah, it doesn't usually work out very well. But I'll bet none of these people want the Duggars sterilized, because they're white Republicans who are paying there own way on bootstraps! (read: TLC reality show money)

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Nth Doctor posted:

Got a link for this nearly happening under Dubya?

They're talking about this.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

TinTower posted:

Yes, one use of the n-word.

At a plantation-themed wedding.

Of a white couple.

In the Deep South.

Plus years of alleged harassment and discrimination at restaurants she owns.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

TerminalSaint posted:

:smug:

(Don't get me wrong, monsanto and citizens united both suck, but what a stupid slogan/attempted rallying cry.)

Sounds like a weak knock-off of Robert Reich's "I'll believe corporations are people when Texas executes one."

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Guilty Spork posted:

I'm sure there are pro-lifers out there somewhere with a more considered point of view, but by and large they seem to be up there with creationists for their ability to uncritically latch onto things that support their views and ignore everything else. That's why they have giant gross signs that are utterly unrepresentative of about 99%+ of real life abortions, why they keep pushing the idea that abortions cause breast cancer and depression when legitimate medical experts have totally debunked those notions, and so on.

My favorite thing when they talk about the health dangers of abortion: "So if they came up with a way to make abortion 100% safe, you'd be in favor of it being legal?"

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Oh, look what showed up on my feed a couple days ago:

My response:

Jurgan posted:

Oh, come on. They're not saying all veterans are terrorists. They're saying that some veterans (like, say, Timothy McVeigh) who are angry about the state of the country may commit terrorism, and that therefore it's worth being alert to possible threats. They're also saying that military veterans who have trouble readjusting may be targeted by recruiters from extremist groups. This garbage smear is four years old, and it's just as silly as it was then. http://www.cbsnews.com/2100-250_162-4949158.html

I have yet to hear a response to the response. This was posted by an old teacher who posts tons of right wing garbage but usually is at least willing to consider she might be wrong when someone calls her out. Unfortunately, I clicked through the photo album by mistake and saw the same FB page (something called "Nation in Distress") posted this classy image:

I'm done.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

The best argument is something like "do you know how many embryos are spontaneously aborted without women even knowing it?" Slacktivist pointed out that, if you really believe embryos are full humans, than miscarriage is the greatest cause of death in human history, yet no one treats it as a disease like, say, breast cancer. Where's the walk for the cure of miscarriage?

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

djw175 posted:

If you look into it some more, he spent at least 2 years finishing the 20 question surveys. Mostly because he didn't actually give surveys to people. He brought up the questions in casual conversation. So add informed consent to the list of statistic rules this guy broke.

Not to mention confirmation bias. Since they weren't explicitly answering his questions, he had to interpret their answers as what they would have said. Who wants to bet he was a lot more generous interpreting the answers of the rich group?

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

Sometimes it's hard to tell with Coulter. Wasn't she the one when, referring to Herman Cain, actually said that black Republicans are more black than black Democrats?

Bet you don't know which party voted for the Civil Rights Act. :smug:

But seriously, I know I should just ignore her, but I can't help it, there's a train wreck quality. If I see a post about Coulter on Media Matters or wherever, I have to read it. I know she's a troll and I'm giving her what she wants, but I just can't help it. (I really hate it when supposed liberals insult her with transphobic taunts, though.)

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

It baffles me that raising the minimum wage is seen as a handout or "government assistance" of some sort. I'd point out that most of the minimum wage employees of Wal-Mart are on food stamps, etc., and so you're already paying for them. A wage increase would simply assure that it's their employer paying rather than taxpayers (and thus would also decrease DEBT!).

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

RagnarokAngel posted:

To be picky, he said the bill of rights, which is only the first 10 amendments. It does ignore that we've made changes to some of them at one point or another.

I'm sure they're talking about the 2nd amendment. I just wish they'd pay as much attention to the 1st, 4th, 5th, or 6th amendments when they're so worried about the Bill of Rights.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Don't they realize that raising the minimum wage would affect *everyone* making less than that? Granted, the striking workers would only affect their own employer, but I think they'd all prefer a minimum wage law, as that's more secure and not likely to change once the heat is off.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Sad Banana posted:

When they were counting the votes on election night, the networks called the election for Obama before any significant amount of votes in west coast states were counted. This was because with exit polls and common sense they could call these states for Obama with 0% reporting. These states include California of course, which has by far the most voters and Obama won it in a landslide.

The close popular vote, with Romney even leading at some points, was a bit of a conservative meme on election night (at least on twitter). Your parents probably didn't bother to look at the results after they found out that our Muslim president had won another term.

It probably happened because the east coast closes first, meaning a bunch of Southern states got called for Romney and conservatives thought "he's winning!" before ACORN and the New Black Panthers beat the poll-watchers to death and stole the election for Obummer.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Ravenfood posted:

The font and coloring isn't doing it any favors. It looks like the ramblings of a crazy person aesthetically. But yeah, the actual numbers on there basically show that the vast majority of your taxes go towards corporate subsidies instead of a bunch of personally useful stuff.

I really doubt the numbers are accurate, though. The vast majority of the budget is Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, and the military. "An insurance company with an army."

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

FuzzySkinner posted:

Richard Bastion is the most dead-on parody of Sean Hannity I've ever heard in my life.

I have to wonder how much Sudekis studied him, because goddamned he has him pegged.

I thought he was Limbaugh. The voice sounds a lot closer to Rush, anyway.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

E-Tank posted:

:what:

You're serious? He legit thinks that kids are 'mooching off their hard-working parents'? Umm....Hello? You're a *parent*. That means you take care of your kid. Its not mooching, it's just staying with them. Jesus christ.

It's like abortion- only mine is moral, the rest are just sluts who want to be irresponsible. Sure, my kid needed extra health care, but those others are just lazy sponges.

Augster posted:

Conservatives identifying with the bad guys in film, episode MMXIV, courtesy of "Military Memes:"

Comments are predictably poo poo but this one in particular takes the cake:

Hmm, how did the Empire's interactions with the sandpeople go... In trying to tamp down on an insurgency, kill numerous civilians, radicalizing an otherwise apolitical youth into joining a violent resistance movement that destroys a major power center of your government? You guys really didn't think this one through.

Jurgan fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Jan 4, 2014

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

I know we're all supposed to think "Oh, right, the government holds us in such contempt and thinks we're all idiots", but...any group of taxpayers that was capable of coming to and enacting a rational decision regarding the dispensation of enough funding to actually create or maintain infrastructure would be acting as a government-like entity. Because taxpayers aren't good at "dealing with companies" beyond retail poo poo, and especially not on that kind of project, with the amount of research and oversight that has to go into it.

Libertopia is still the stupidest country. :patriot:

While I don't watch Family Guy much anymore, there was one recent episode that nailed this. The Tea Party took over Quahog and they abolished the local government, and predictably everything turned to poo poo. Eventually, Peter proposed that they create a system of mutually agreed upon rules, enforced by public servants elected on a regular basis, and paid for by contributions from every person based on their wealth. They all agree, and Peter brags that they did it all "without any government."

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

I just don't get this. The fear is that someone will sneak up behind you and punch you in the head, right? How can you defend yourself with a gun when the person surprises you and knocks you out with one punch? I suppose the answer is "point your gun at every minority so they don't get any ideas."

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

RagnarokAngel posted:

Trickle-down economics good because water good. Trickle-up bad because pee pee doo doo

Does anyone actually say "trickle-up economics?" Is this just a conservative way of explaining liberal ideas to make them sound dumb? I'm pretty sure if I wanted a metaphor, it'd be something like "strengthen the foundation" that makes sense.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

So I got a couple of gems from an old teacher of mine who's pretty conservative (Social Fixer called her "Fred," but she is a woman). I was pretty proud of my first response:

Also, I have to laugh at the fact that Abel is misspelled. But this other one... I don't know, I saw it was from Heritage and I sort of glazed over. Looked like a lot of bullshit. She's very big on DEBT! mania.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Ugh, what the hell. "Marge" here was my physics teacher in high school. I knew she was a conservative religious person, but I assumed she understood science.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Buzkashi posted:

"The liberal jew ACLU professor called in Obama's personal oppression force (the police) and proceeded to defecate all over the Constitutional right to free speech the Marine had chosen to exercise by punching him. A brainwashed jury of 12 sheeple found the Marine guilty of assault and fined him $1000 that the government immediately spent on an illegal alien's abortion and foreign aid to an island of brown people."

I saw this one today, I think. My response was simply "I am absolutely, 100% sure this really happened. No doubt."

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Well, now I get to be pissed off. For reasons that will become obvious, I take bullshit about the ACA very personally. I am "Patty Whack" in this conversation. Barry is my favorite sharer, the science teacher who doesn't believe in evolution.

Edit: Whoops, I forgot to hit the "see more" button, so it cut out "Shondra's" infuriating post:

"If it weren't so sad it would be a joke. Everything about the Affordable Care Act is as bad as the name. More people have lost their insurance than gained and nearly everyone signing up for it is paying more than they were to get services they don't need or want, all the while penalizing those who refuse to pay for the immoral acts of others. All this while the democrats sing and dance an unbelievable tune, "it's working, it's working". It makes Alice's Adventures in Wonderland seem like a documentary."

"immoral acts..." yeah, that's one hell of a dogwhistle.

Jurgan fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Apr 10, 2014

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Sublimer posted:

I understand that Pearson started a nonprofit to come up with the Common Core standards, and then Pearson the for-profit company made all the teaching materials for it and even some of the state standardized tests for it. Why do conservatives seem to hate Common Core so much when it is probably just part of some scheme to move us even closer to the privatization of education? I, admittedly, don't know a whole lot about it so perhaps I'm just misinformed or confused. As for the standards themselves, I think they're pretty solid.

This sounds right to me. I'm generally skeptical of national standards, for reasons of local autonomy and because the standards are measured through endless testing that is counter-productive to learning (you're probably right that the real goal is to discredit public schools and promote private alternatives). But, as usual, conservatives pick the most ridiculous examples and blow them out of proportion instead of having a reasonable debate. I'm a math teacher (though no longer in public schools), so I have noticed how many bogus examples of Common Core killing math instruction there are. Most of these people seem to think it's a re-run of the failed "New Math" experiment from the sixties, but it's real just one alternate way of teaching. Here's a good example:

My response:

Honestly, it seems they're being unfair in the comparison of the two methods. Notice the problem is a simple subtraction with no "borrowing" necessary. It was deliberately picked to make the old method be easier. If the problem had been 306 - 197, the old method with all its crossing out numbers and replacing them would look much more complicated. In that case, I would mentally do something very similar to the number line method. First, I would count up from 197 to 200: 3. Then I would add 100 to get to 300: 103. Then I just need six more to get to my goal: 109. So, yes, I think people are cherry-picking examples because they liked the way they learned it and don't want to have to learn a new method. While the old algorithmic method has its place, it is purely mechanical and does not develop number sense. Understanding how numbers work is an important first step, which should be followed by teaching algorithms, but not right away. Finally, I doubt this person's credentials. I have a Master's in Mathematics, and I'll admit the first time I saw one of these problems it took me a few minutes to figure out how it worked, but it's really not that complicated. Anyone who has studied differential equations should be able to handle the simple mathematics done here, unless they're more concerned with smugly making a political point than actually helping their children learn.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Tigntink posted:

I don't think I could ever sympathize with something coming at me through the loving jokers mouth.

The actual quote from the movie is pretty on-point, complaining that people obsess over terrorism while ignoring hundreds of violent crimes every day. Now let's hear the person who posted that image give his thoughts on terrorism.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

This reminds me of how conservatives talk about Helen Keller. "She's an inspiration- she overcame blindness and deafness to accomplish great things! What's your excuse?" Aside from the grossness of using a real person as "inspiration porn," they overlook that Keller was an open socialist who said the only reason she was able to succeed was because her parents were wealthy enough to afford good teachers and treatments. In other words, one person's overcoming odds does not negate systemic challenges that millions of people face.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

How could you possibly believe this Congress is "sycophantic" towards Obama?

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Every "you might be" list is attributed to Foxworthy, just as every song parody is attributed to Weird Al. Say what you want about Foxworthy, but there's no way he'd ever say something that disgusting (the main complaint against him, after all, is that he's bland and inoffensive).

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

zeroprime posted:

"many doctors aren't taking ACA" :psyduck:

I couldn't even continue past that. The Affordable Care Act is not an insurance plan.

Well, yes and no. It's true there's no plan called "Obamacare," but some new plans have come into being since the ACA and not everyone accepts them. We had this problem- we signed up for a new plan and went to a doctor with it, and they wouldn't take it. The receptionist even said "we don't take that Obamacare insurance." Eventually, we retroactively got it paid for, but a lot of hospitals around here still are fighting to refuse it.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Job Truniht posted:

What's a yellow dog? Is there some kind of reference I'm not getting?

"He'd vote for a yellow dog before he'd vote for a Republican." Generally used for people who vote straight ticket Dem, though since it originated in the pre-civil rights South, we should probably phase it out.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Mo_Steel posted:

I was about to say "shouldn't it be like 50%+ Satan?" and then I remembered they think Satan is a synonym for Obama.

Isn't this... making fun of conservatives? I'm so confused right now. :confused:

No, you don't understand: the 64% who think he was born in Kenya are right. Those 17% sheeple actually believe he was born in Hawaii?

Now here's some content. This isn't an email forward; it's actually the first page of a book by Todd Starnes of Fox News, but I've seen it circulating on Tumblr.

This seems like it was written by a robot stringing together right-wing talking points and catch phrases. Or Chris Muir.

Jurgan fucked around with this message at 01:00 on May 11, 2014

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

I remember people getting mad at use of "eenie meenie miney moe" because it once used a word other than tiger in its second line. I don't think those were the original words, and either way no kid today knows it.

Oh, Fulchrum, I think you mean Ringo Starr?

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Mike the TV posted:

This seems inoffensive enough, but I liked the comments of "has a true christian ever killed a person?" and "how do i share if there is no share button?"

Hanna Williams and Lydia Schatz, beaten to death by their adoptive parents in the name of "Christian training" spring to mind.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Crain posted:

It was more the phrasing than the message. I just imagined a dreadlocked dude with a bob marley poster when I read that.

Eh, but given all the gun arguments he makes that's where it's going.

All I see when I read arguments for why someone needs firepower to "protect their home and family" is this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45glq7huJJc

Huh, I was expecting this.

Edit: LeJackal, consider reading the thread before offering opinions. We were talking about people captured and killed execution style in someone's home- the killer was clearly not in fear for his life.

Jurgan fucked around with this message at 00:11 on May 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Amused to Death posted:

To go back to this for a moment

Because I see it often, this entire thing every time someone says it in various forms is predicated on the idea the people who study this stuff for a living are too loving dumb to account for the most obvious variables.

Nah, they think the people who study it for a living are duplicitous tools of the gynocracy.