Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Blarghalt posted:

Anarcho-capitalist, probably. The weird creepy uncle of anarchism. :v:
If you end up with full anarchism :anarchists: then a minimum wage is unnecessary, because the rulers/exploiters have been eliminated or expropriated back into the masses, and a humane standard of living for all has been established in place of a wage system.

If they're advocating for the removal of the minimum wage without all the rest of that, then yeah, probably an-caps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

It's the same racist bullshit that led to the criminalization of marijuana to begin with, really.
If only he'd used cocaine instead, he'd still be alive. (At least according to this giant wall of racist drug sensationalism from the New York Times, from that era of criminalization)

http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/pdf?res=F60B14F7345F13738DDDA10894DA405B848DF1D3

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Imagine you're taking a tour of a hospital on the ground floor. In one room you're shown a maternity ward with dozens of cribs, each with a newborn infant.

In another room right next door is a refrigerator used to store fertilized embryos. There are hundreds in there. Conveniently, this refrigerator is on wheels and has battery backup, in an emergency it can easily be unplugged and wheeled to safety.

Suddenly, fire alarms go off, this is not a drill, there's a gas leak and the building could blow at any minute.

Do you run for the exit? Do you try to grab a baby or two? Or do you unplug the refrigerator and get rolling?
Also of the 50 babies, one will grow up to be a serial killer who kills seven people. Two of their victims will be a pair of researchers working on a cure for HepC. Another baby will grow up to be a senator who is instrumental in further destroying the social safety net, and another will grow up to be a great leader who will encourage peace in Syria. The two babies you save are selected at random.

Of the refrigerator full of embryos, only 100 of them, selected at random, will eventually become born as babies. Of the 500 original embryos there are two that will become (non-mass) murderers, one that will become a brilliant surgeon, and one that will invent hundreds of those annoying ethics thought experiments involving runaway train cars.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Mister Bates posted:

Forced conversion, immigration, and outright genocide. The oft-used phrase 'kill them all and let God sort them out' is usually attributed to a general working for the Papacy during the extermination of the Cathars. The Catholic armies had captured a city filled with Cathar refugees and couldn't tell which were good Christians and which were filthy Cathar heretics; the general told them 'kill them all; God will recognize his own.' People were burned to death, eviscerated, tied to stakes and used as live target practice for archery training, women were raped to death...and that's how they treated other Christians, who had just picked the wrong 'kind' of Christianity to follow. 'Believe what we tell you to or we'll have you exterminated' doesn't sound the least bit voluntary to me.
Yes, but those crimes were obviously just committed by the bad kind of Christians, who probably secretly worship the sun god Baal. No True Christian would do such things.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

LP97S posted:

AA and the bar trivia is now religion (ironic, I know) are now religions according to this idea, it's a dumb idea.
The Ninth Circuit ruled that AA is a religion, even if they keep claiming not to be one.
http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Appeals-court-says-requirement-to-attend-AA-2542005.php

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Pope Guilty posted:

Wait, what's supposed to be wrong with this?
Because

Emron posted:

This one had the caption of "Unions, that's why:"

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Arabian Jesus posted:

Its not very often I get to share things in this thread but this gem appeared on my feed today

Hard to argue with that logic
Which chemical compounds are American and which are dirty and foreign?

I have it on good evidence that the Communists have access to oxygen technology, maybe they should avoid consuming it.

edit:

VitalSigns posted:

No one appreciates South African contributions to medicine :vuvu:
Putting foreign hearts into people too, their treachery knows no bounds.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jul 23, 2013

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Ho Chi Mint posted:

A lot of people have been using the following verse to justify not giving things to people who won't work.
Maybe they're just quoting Lenin (via Stalin) instead.

quote:

In the USSR work is a duty and a matter of honor for every able-bodied citizen, in accordance with the principle: "He who does not work, neither shall he eat."

e: vvvvvv
I was being mostly tongue-in-cheek.
People I know who espouse the "no work, no food" ideal would hate being cast as agreeing with anything said by Lenin or Marx.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Aug 6, 2013

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

VideoTapir posted:

That contains a false quotation, too. Search Google Books for it and you'll find it explodes around 2005, with no instances in the 19th or even 20th centuries. False founding father "quotes" have become really popular since ~2000. I see any founding father quote in any conservative context, I check it; they're usually completely fabricated, sometimes misquoted or misattributed.
Also

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Sir Rolo posted:

And even when they do, you'd be amazed at the amount of people who sincerely frequent Chimpout or Stormfront that will claim they're not racist.
"I don't hate black people, I just hate black culture." :downsgun:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

muscles like this? posted:

Lets just ignore that you could probably find stuff just as bad by looking through stuff Christian preachers have said.
I can imagine the exact same image with a different header being posted by moderate/nonpracticing Muslims. Whoever posted that probably considers all Muslims to be a monolithic bloc though.

Radish posted:

You could put a bunch of televangelists or true believers like the Duggers in place of those guys' pictures and I don't think it would look out of place at all.

I mean Robertson alone would be good for a bunch.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/27/pat-robertson-aids-rings_n_3824401.html

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

De Nomolos posted:

I love the map they used. One district in GA is grey for some reason. I think it's because it wasn't called immediately on election night 2010 and for some reason, they're using a map from the day after the 2010 election.

Either that, or they want SW GA to be its own nation.
Along with ceding south Arizona and a slither of Texas back to Mexico.

e: And there's another gray district in north Washington. I guess that goes to the British under an amended Oregon Treaty.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Taaaaaaarb! posted:

The mental gymnastics of anti-choicers in the effort to hide their disdain for women and impose their will on them is impressive to say the least. I also have not heard a good answer for that one, especially when you bring up the unfortunate (for them) reality of miscarriages - how do you tell the difference between an abortion or a miscarriage? What if the woman doesn't know she was pregnant and miscarries? Is it her fault?
If they honestly believed in fetal personhood then there is already an entire system of law around that.
Murder, voluntary manslaughter, involuntary manslaughter, and negligent homicide are already well defined in most legal systems. One could say if the woman doesn't know she was pregnant and miscarries, if the miscarriage was due to behavior likely to induce a miscarriage then there is a case for negligent homicide. On the other hand if the fetus poses a risk to the woman's health then it could be considered justifiable homicide.

The sidestepping of all these really just shows that either they don't consider fetuses to actually have full personhood. e: Or in the case of automatic "jail for murder" without nuance consider them to have some magical personhood more than the woman.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Oct 29, 2013

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Guilty Spork posted:

why they keep pushing the idea that abortions cause breast cancer and depression when legitimate medical experts have totally debunked those notions, and so on.
There is some evidence that the more menstrual cycles a woman has, the greater the risk is for certain types of cancer, and the fewer children you have, on average the more menstrual cycles you have. Ironically the main modern cause of this is due to cyclical hormonal contraceptives, which are only cyclical because the inventor was a devout Catholic and was trying to appease his church by presenting the original pill as a 'chemically assisted rhythm method'.
http://www.jstephens.biology.lsu.edu/notes/John%20Rock%27s%20Error.pdf

If he'd had gone full out for the 'drug that stops babies' angle, prescribed constantly instead of in three week bursts, it would have reduced the cancer risk over both the current pill and pretty much every other method including abstinence (except for being constantly barefoot and pregnant, which I suspect is what some of the anti-choice people actually want).

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Fart Sandwiches posted:

Holy poo poo.

HOLY poo poo

:stare::stare::stare::stare:
Holy poo poo, that took a rapid turn for the worse.

Started reading the prison stat, and the slavery one, assumed it would be going on to list other systemic discriminations and how they are the root cause of inequality, and the crazy would be in the form of some shitheads commenting on the image.

Nope. :catstare:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Edible Hat posted:

"No burgers"? Beef is halal, no? Oh... does he think "ham"burgers are made out of pork?
Cheeseburgers are halal but not kosher. Bacon double cheeseburgers are neither halal nor kosher.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

VideoTapir posted:

A popular meme (I have no idea its degree of truth) in conservativeland is that there was a court decision stating that the police have no obligation to protect you.
Sort of. Warren v. District of Columbia is the most common cited case that there is no obligation to protect any given individual, unless a 'special duty' has been established, which is usually taken as a degree of justifiable reliance that they would act on behalf of that individual. I think one example of that would be Valdez v. City of New York, where an existing restraining order exists and a Domestic Violence Unit officer specifically tells the individual that they are 'safe to return home', although I'm not sure of the specifics around that.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Ashcans posted:

The fact that Yellow doesn't even know how many people were on the Jury makes me think that they didn't actually pay very much attention to the process. I mean, I don't expect people to have sat through all the testimony the way that D&D did, the six-person jury was notable to most people paying attention because everyone assumes its always twelve.
Also, the standard of proof isn't beyond a shadow of a doubt, it's beyond a reasonable doubt, otherwise very few people would be convicted.

They're at least right about not guilty being very different from innocent though, which is always important to bear in mind. It seems after too many high profile/celebrity rape cases with a not guilty verdict I hear some lovely opinions from people saying "the court proved that the person accused didn't do it, therefore the accuser must be lying, they should be charged with perjury" :eng99:.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

VitalSigns posted:

VVVV
Car insurance isn't a basic necessity.
The EU recently ruled that car insurance can't discriminate with respect to race or gender, even if it's for the purposes of 'actuarial risk profiles'. It really doesn't seem to be a controversial position.

VitalSigns posted:

Car insurance is also already very affordable (compared to health insurance), and I don't think subsidizing everyone's car insurance is a goal we need to pursue as a society. It's so completely different that there really is no comparison.
Depends on the type of insurance. South Africa runs a national insurance system for third party insurance only. You or your vehicle are not covered, you'd need your own private policy for that, however national insurance in the form of the road accident fund is subsidized by the price of gas (which is still lower than in Europe), meaning that you're still covered if you're hit by an uninsured driver, which isn't something that anybody can choose or predict.

It seems to work out cheaper than the alternative of making driving without insurance illegal and then having to spend money detecting and prosecuting that.

edit: vvvvvvvvvv
I refuse to believe that unless there is One Weird Trick involved.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Nov 25, 2013

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Radish posted:

Those remind me of the old Peanuts strip where Lucy asks her grandma why there's no "kid's day" and the response is "everyday is kid's day."
That one's wrong though, there's many different ones all over the world, as well as a universal one on November 20th.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

ArchangeI posted:

Nonono, you tell them that you won't create joinder with them and then tell the court that the gold fringe on the flag means its an admirality court. Trust me on this.
The correct response is to stand up in the courtroom and drop your pants. This will render you no longer seaworthy, so the admiralty court cannot prosecute you.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Mornacale posted:

Hitler did it (and the USSR had gulags), so it's A Thing.
Didn't Hitler do it under the pretense of imprisoning socially undesirable people to keep them away from society, and didn't make the whole mass extermination thing public?

If the :freep: and other :tinfoil:ers want to prevent death camps, prison reform would be a good place to start.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Taaaaaaarb! posted:

Was the dumb/racist thing about Egyptians related to the fact that it snowed? C'mon now, did the guy somehow blame Egyptians for the weather in Egypt :allears:
Putting my bet on some variant of "they were all confused because they'd never seen it before and are too ignorant to know of anything outside their borders :downswords:".

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Taaaaaaarb! posted:

Do you have any evidence to back up those assertions?
The Gros Michel banana is a good example of why genetic monoculture can be disastrous. Bananas are not grown from seed, they're propagated via clone, which means that each banana cultivar has a high level of genetic similarity. If this culture happens to be prone to disease or if a pathogen adapts or spreads to it, as was the case with Panama disease and the Gros Michel, the result is that none of the clones have any immunity and impact on food production is severe.

The Gros Michels ended up being replaced by the Cavendish as the main banana of cultivation in the 1950s, and there are signs that Panama disease may be spreading to them too. Genetic Modification can provide inbuilt disease resistance, but if this is breached then there is no variation to fall back on, unless GM is combined with other forms of crossbreeding.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Taaaaaaarb! posted:

There is a problem with this example - yes, it is technically a genetically modified crop, but not one that has been manipulated at the chromosomal level. Even more, these and arguably drat near all other crops raised by humans are not examples of transgenic crops that get people freaked out about GMO's. Further, you even point out how GM can benefit this particular crop.
I was using it as an example of why genetic monocultures are bad (however they are created), not as an example of why GMOs are bad. If we use GM alongside traditional methods of modification such as hybridizing, then it can be a valuable weapon against plant disease, but if we rely on GM alone for that disease resistance, we run the risk of having plantations full of genetically identical crops rapidly failing when a disease does eventually adapt to that, like in the case of the Cavendish.

Monsanto has promised not to use sterility inducing modifications (whether you believe that or not), but they do discourage farmers from planting the offspring of GMOs, and encourage them to buy their seeds from a single source. This has the effect of making them as much a genetic monoculture as the bananas. It's a case of not putting all your eggs in one genetic basket, not a case of holy poo poo genetic modification.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Taaaaaaarb! posted:

Alright, any evidence of the use or sale of terminator seeds? Because last I heard, they never made it to market. Also, what's the difference between signing a contract to purchase your seeds exclusively from one provider versus Monsanto? This sounds more like a case against the corporatization of food rather than transgenic crops.
I think we're posting past each other here. I didn't say that Monsanto were using 'terminator' seeds, I said they had promised not to, with an aside that they had not bound themselves not to do so in the future.

My original banana example was why monoculture can have bad consequences, no matter where it comes from, not that specifically transgenic monoculture is bad. The level of genetic variation in a single seed supplier may be low, but it is higher than in a cloned plant cultivar such as bananas, or in a transgenic seed cultivar that has its origins in a very small batch size.

e: And yes, corporatization of food sourcing and production is responsible for a fair few of these practices.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Dec 18, 2013

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Perestroika posted:

It's nice how they assume that European = white. Besides, isn't the closest thing to a historical inspiraton for Santa Claus Saint Nicholas? As in, Saint Nicholas of Myra, born in what would be modern-day Turkey?
Yes, although it's believed he was ethnically Greek. Like Italians, Greek people have been variously considered as both white and non-white throughout recent history, mostly because 'white' is a stupid label made up to signify the in-group.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
If all folk festival characters are products of syncretism or amalgamation, can't Christmas just have Santa Muerte instead. At least then the skin color isn't an issue :v:

Or goat demons. Not enough festivals with goat demons nowadays.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

muike posted:

The bible says rock n' roll is sinful? Badass
Yes

(Assuming that you accept that rock music is the same as magic scrolls.)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

ratbert90 posted:

Straight up racist picture!

The quote on this one was an anarchist meme long ago, aiming to point out that the results of a system do not justify the abuses carried out by it.

Then it became a libertarian meme, with exactly that picture, aiming to say that something something private enterprise will prevail.

All liberallogic have done is added their lovely watermark.

e: and they added "in this case we become slaves to the government" because the message isn't explicitly pointed out enough for LL's tastes. I'm surprised they didn't add "and a black man whips you" or something.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Twelve by Pies posted:

I honestly don't even understand the slave one. How are the questions the same? Whites are being forcibly taken from their homes to build roads with no pay?
Originally: "Government and slavery both produce products people want, but they do so by creating poverty, abuse of rights, and a de facto aristocracy. We should focus on removing systems of abuse and inequality, rather than excusing them by the fruits of their rotten enterprises." :anarchists:

Then: "Cotton continued to be produced by glorious capitalism (and sharecropping under atrocious poverty but :ssh:) after slavery ended, so therefore the government is bad for restricting this, and roads would be constructed by private industry because Ayn Rand." :ancap:

Now: "Pee pee doo doo black man in the white house." :freep:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Armyman25 posted:

The gravity one is especially ignorant.
http://youtu.be/5C5_dOEyAfk
Sure, like you'd trust a government funded experiment on such a divisive issue.

Mo_Steel posted:

They're listing the top as a good thing right? Do they not realize these were all massive government expenditures paid for with taxes? If Obama came forward tomorrow and challenged America to overhaul our electrical grid, invest massive amounts of funds into repairing and updating our highway system and bridges, and install publicly managed fiber for Internet in all major cities available for $5 a month, would LL101 be on board with these things because America built them or against them because Obama wants them?

I mean I know the answer is the latter because that's how the healthcare thing already is, but c'mon LL101. Seriously?
The key difference is that all of those things happened in the past, and all but one of them began prior to the idealized version of the 1950s that they want to return to. Selective version of the past = good. Present = lovely.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

RagnarokAngel posted:

Chick is totally batshit crazy about Catholics though
Even that is kind of an understatement. Chick believes that Catholics worship Mary, and also a Sun God who is Ba'al, and every Catholic owes their loyalty to the Vatican State first and foremost, and their home nation second, and most Catholics are unaware of this because they are baptized before they are old enough to believe, so even though they think they are praying to Jesus and the same Abrahamic God as other Christians, the Pope is somehow able to channel all of this belief to his Sun-god Ba'al, possibly through his magic hat.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

gradenko_2000 posted:

When did (American) politics turn from "this government is bad (and our party can do better)" to "any and all kinds of government is bad"?
Some time around 1910/11? Not sure when it became a thing for the right though.

edit:

Swan Oat posted:

Oh my GOD one of my coworkers just told me not to go to McDonald's for lunch because they are owned by a Jew, and they kidnap children from all around the world and drain their blood to put in your food. Literal blood libel. And she's my age! I don't know where the gently caress people of my generation pick this poo poo up but jesus christ I am making :stonk: irl my god
What the hell :catstare:

I've heard any number of ridiculous things about McDonald's, but that's a new one.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

sweart gliwere posted:

The world's most famous cheeseburger company, at that. Even if they serve gentile kid blood and even if a Jewish group actually abducts kids to drain them... why serve it with dairy? If they aren't keeping Kosher, it isn't especially Jewish as far as plots go.
So that observant Jews don't accidentally consume them. It's a plot to abduct children and feed their blood to gentiles, because ???

It makes about as much sense as the plot to steal communion wafers to nail them to tiny crosses.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

duz posted:

What? That sounds amazing!
Basically, as the bread and wine at the Eucharist are transformed into the body and blood of Christ via the mystery of transubstantiation, and must be kept safe and secure in the monstrance or similar, and as apparently Jews love nothing more than crucifying Jesus as a pastime, it stands to reason that they would steal consecrated wafers from a church and nail them to things.

Host desecration, or damaging the bread considered to be the body of Christ, is considered to be a mortal sin in Catholicism and other faiths that follow the Eucharist, and it was a lot easier to throw around accusations of 'these Jews stole some bread and nailed it to things' than 'they are kidnapping babies and grinding them up to sell to gentiles'. Although apparently people will believe either.

Jews gathering around excitedly to pierce communion wafers.

(Got a crazy forwarded political woodcut from your family?)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Sir Rolo posted:

Abortion.
Interesting that they left 'can't consent to sex' out of the top list.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Yes, a couple actually. First, what sort of alternate, gravity bending dimension do you live in where toilets "trickle up"? Second, what kind of retarded point is this supposed to be making other than "toilets have poopie in them just like liberals!"?
Some toilets fill the pan up slowly after flushing. Crazy leftists want to restore the proper working of an important device after the waste has been removed from it.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Breadallelogram posted:

What the gently caress does this even mean?
Look, all I'm saying is would you rather live in a house with a sink or a house with a toilet?

Checkmate, Liberals! :shrek:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Swan Oat posted:

Colin Kaepernick's tattoos include several bible verses, the thug.
Is one of them Leviticus 19:28? :v: