Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Implied the constitution might be outdated in a 2nd amendment argument on FB, got called a communist and nazi...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

generatrix posted:

In some people's minds it's actually a universal document, and America is the only place in the world free enough to have adopted it.

It is this. I think the U.S. education system might be partially to blame but I'm not sure.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

The Rokstar posted:

Well they won't have to because the military will all side with them, duh. :smug:

That was basically the response I got. Then I asked "well if the military is going to side with the revolution then wouldn't that trump any arms the civilian population has?" and that got ignored. Also in a scenario where the U.S. military has defected that kind of precludes the U.S. government from being a viable tyranny anyway...

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Also how warped does your definition of racism need to be to think that is not racist?

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

TerminalSaint posted:

Food science and the food industry would be a great subject for its own thread.

Despite the thread title, a very broad range of food-related issues get discussed here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3556746

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

This was on my Facebook today. A pumpkin latte or whatever is no doubt a lovely drink but prob not for those reasons.

:siren: monsanto milk :siren:

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
The scary thing is the person who posted that anti-GMO/PROCESSED INGREDIENTS alarmist Starbucks macro is normally a pretty sane, rational person. In fact, I think she is a biomedical engineering grad student if I recall correctly (which would make it REALLY scary). Sorry, too lazy to go look up who posted it now but it was somebody who I was somewhat surprised to find posting such obvious drivel from a dubious blog source.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
posted by the resident libertarian on my fb -

:ironicat:

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
It's pretty old now but the Daily Show did a really great segment on the same subject as that horrible green infographic:

http://thedailyshow.cc.com/videos/jfmt11/world-of-class-warfare---the-poor-s-free-ride-is-over

You food chilling motherfuckers!

thathonkey fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Sep 16, 2014

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Pedestrian Xing posted:

Back in my college days, I had to sell some of my stocks just to get by.

Sorry to quote something from middle of last page but I have heard two different people unironically say this in conversation with me (and others) almost verbatim. Incidentally, they both make way more money than me now and I've still never owned a stock before :eng99:

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
I remember learning multiplication tables rote up to 12x12 but no other operations. My math education before college was absolutely terrible and Ive never really recovered from it. I naturally have adopted something closer to "closest 5 or 10" method to solving most problems in my head though since forgetting everything I used to know by heart.

That being said I dont know much about common core but it sounds like a smarter way to teach math fundamentals to young kids that are gonna be expected to do algebra later on etc

thathonkey fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Oct 2, 2014

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
I usually will give whatever change and 1s I have on me to homeless. I usually don't carry any money though but some homeless folks tend to congregate around one of my favorite lunch spots so I will usually offer to buy them something. I've had a few people turn me down or act ungrateful but most of them are kind. Anyway,

Popular Thug Drink posted:

I met a guy who used to be on the Georgia Tech basketball team back in the day and he gave me a joke which no poo poo 90% of the time instantly cements a conversation when I'm talking to girls in bars.

It's pretty cruel to post this without the joke.

e:fb

thathonkey fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Oct 2, 2014

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

hamster_style posted:

More Just World fallacy from the "We can't raise the minimum wage" crowd. I'm definitely being an aggressive dink here, but I'm tired of going round-and-round with this guy. I wasn't even going to reply seriously until arch conservative Cole Slaw jumped in because he gets on my nerves.

Click for huge:

"This largely has been unsuccessful for 30 years"
"All theory"
:allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Neruz posted:

He's right though, it is all theory. The mistake he is making is that assuming 'theory' means 'untested hypothesis' rather than a well-substantiated explanation repeatedly tested and confirmed through observation and experimentation. Which is what 'theory' actually means in that context.

Oh totally. I understand that i just thought it was a funny moment and the guy seemed to be using "theory" as a synonym for "not tried / not in practice" (which he gets called on and then ignores)