Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

That Jane Fonda/Nancy Reagan/Obama is honoring a traitor thing is going around like wild fire on my FB today.

Didn't some one post a good response to this in this thread? Or was it the other thread.... hmmm.

I wonder if Nancy was in on the Iran-Contra thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Pththya-lyi posted:

I should probably still read it, since Mom and Dad paid for my schooling and allowed me to graduate debt-free. But I really don't want to :smithicide:
Have you ever signed a contract with them, specifying what you owe them for their support? If no, then by randian principles you owe them nothing (weaseling out of written contract obligations is also fine if you can convince yourself you are a superior being and rules don't apply to you).

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Discendo Vox posted:

I know nothing of Scott Lively- it looks like his work in Uganda might be a better example of negative effects, though. I can't stand Dan Savage- he has a knack for demagoguery that is as likely to turn audiences against sexual orientation equality as towards it.
Well it's good you offered your valuable opinion then.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

JohnClark posted:

I feel like a broken record on this, but how in the world do you have such a lack of empathy that you would deliberately withhold a live-saving medication in order keep from "facilitating their poor choices"?
Conservatives.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
Is it wide?

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Guilty Spork posted:

What is it with conservatives completely and utterly failing to understand any hint of context?
That's because they are not people.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Cowslips Warren posted:

I made some stupid Facebook post bitching about how the actors in the religious film Noah are pretty much all white. The upcoming movie Exodus has loving Aaron Paul from Breaking Bad, and Christian Bale, as Joseph and loving Moses. Whitewashing film, yay.

Oddly enough the only person to disagree with my words, who is religious, is Mormon. The others on FB who are Christian agreed that no, Moses would not be white, and no, Noah would not be white. The Mormon chimed in that 'everyone who read the Hunger Games books was mad because Rue was cast as a black girl, but she wasn't black, people need to stop seeing race and appreciate a movie for story and actors."

Cause we're the real racists, right?

But Rue was black in the book.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Fulchrum posted:

Who in the hell is the intended audience for that message?
Voices in author's head maybe?

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Anubis posted:

I think it more is a feeling of guilt about supporting useless wars and slashing of vet benefits for the past couple decades, personally.
Conservatives can't feel guilt though.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
I like how he goes from "it's disgraceful that government doesn't provide for the disabled vets" to spiteful fantasies about illegal immigrants living high on welfare. Shows where his true priorities lie.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Radish posted:

I've had this happen with multiple people first hand and it's unbelievably frustrating. I explained the 47% thing for instance to several different people and how it's a bullshit statistic after it was brought up to me and they were like "ok... I get it now I guess" and then a day later parroting it out like we didn't even have the conversation. I could see them just agreeing with me just to avoid an argument but they would bust it out again like I had never heard it before and then give the smug face like I had just been trumped. It's kind of creepy.
It's almost like they aren't even human.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
Guess nobody told Hitler about that.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
That second panel would have a shade of a point if evangelical christians weren't firmly in bed with randian social darwinists.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Dr Christmas posted:

You can't even call conservative rhetoric lies anymore. Its something beyond incorrect facts and misinformation. It's just a complete inversion of reality and the meaning of words and ideas. You're racist if you don't believe black people are shiftless moochers. Working longer hours for less pay than previous generations makes millenials lazy and entitled. The lack of persecution of gays is itself a form of persecution. Having to comply with an EPA regulation is worse than being gunned down by the police. Taxes are slavery, but slavery wasn't that bad for black people.
Their "thinking process" will always realign itself in such a way as to cause as much harm to people and society as they can get away with, no matter how twisted and nonsensical it might look from our perspective. That's their one and only guiding principle.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

FuzzySkinner posted:

Why is this still a loving issue for homophobes/christians with persecution complexes? Why? The guy is gay and he kissed his boyfriend when he was drafted. Somehow he's not allowed to do this period because you feel Tim Tebow is being "Mocked" for his faith? Why does this bug you so drat much?
They are conservatives. That means they want to hurt people. If homophobia becomes socially unacceptable, that's one less way they get to hurt people with impunity. And they don't like that.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

SquadronROE posted:

Well the problem ends up being that people's expectations of "bare minimum" are elevated as they start making more money. When you're poor, living in a 4-bedroom apartment shared between 5 people and eating cheap groceries is bare minimum.

When you have a kid and get married, daycare expenses are added and you "need" a bigger car, and your outlay for rent goes up because you're not sharing between 5 people now.

Then when you have another kid and they get to school age, well you have to pay for their education and private schooling is expensive. Now you've got that, and maybe you need a bigger house to handle all of this too.

And now you're working more to make that money so you don't have time to clean the house or whatever, so you "need" to hire a maid to do it every month or so.

The point is that people really don't see outside of their own experience, and they don't want to. In their experience, making $300k is going to get sucked away by private school tuition, car payments, daycare, maid service, etc. and if you try to tell them that this stuff isn't necessary they balk.

I know this was posted only a couple of pages back, but

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Radish posted:

It frustrates me that the people that consider themselves "serious" on economic matters are more naive than eight year olds.

How are u posted:

"Serious" people who advocate Making Difficult Choices are always advocating loving over the powerless and poor. gently caress those people, they have no idea how the world works.
They aren't naive and they understand perfectly how the world works. They are making it a worse place deliberately, because they like hurting people.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Radish posted:

I believe this is true for people at the top of the pyramid scheme but the regular Joe libertarians actually believe that stuff. I hear it from co-workers every other day.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8T9fk7NpgIU

Your co-workers are monsters who want people to suffer and die.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

OxySnake posted:

It's not just Putin, that's just the Russian stereotype in general.
Only if you think slow suicide through alcoholism is tough and manly lol.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Defenestration posted:

Extremely Pissed Off Right Winger Weekend starts now! finishes when I get bored!

Let's lead off with this very important admonishment

Just because you are offended doesn't mean you are right
Say the people defining themselves by being Extremely Pissed Off at all times.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Defenestration posted:

In reply to a tweet about an Old Navy ad featuring a multiracial family (just sitting there in coats)

<---Meat

Keeshhound posted:

"<---White Baby"
Somebody switch those around in photoshop.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Raenir Salazar posted:

It's fascinating because the people that buy into the idea of anti white racism have to come up with elaborate generational conspiracy theories about non whites coming in to seduce us like some kind of Zap Brannigan troll logic that is also inherently boastful.
"Dear Penthouse, I never thought it would happen to me, but last night I got white genocided."

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

RagnarokAngel posted:

I'm pretty sure this is exactly what they want even if they won't say it.
Actually they do say it, loudly and repeatedly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Coffee And Pie posted:

What if she gives birth to 8 little Hitlers?
She'd be pretty happy on account of being a nazi.