Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King Metal
Jun 15, 2001

duz posted:

There was a full page ad for this in the latest InfoWars magazine (which I recommend anyone picking up if they see a copy, it's hilarious):

Fluoride Shield is an Infowars Life exclusive blend of key herbs and ingredients specifically infused within the formula to help support the elimination of toxic forms of fluoride and other dangerous compounds like mercury, chlorine, and bromine from within the body.
The ingredients in Fluoride Shield™ include tamarind, zeolites, organic fulvic acid, shilajit, cilantro and nascent iodine.

Zeolites? That's like trying to clean out all the toxins of your body by eating a water filter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Metal
Jun 15, 2001
I had this show up on my facebook. I don't recall anything about the ACA creating any insurance companies though...? I can't believe a doctor's office would be so clueless about insurance, but it wouldn't surprise me.

King Metal
Jun 15, 2001

Samuel Clemens posted:

That reminds of an essay George Orwell once wrote about Mark Twain.

Seems like the idolization of the Old West isn't a new phenomenon.

The whole Wild West mythos was created in the late 19th century. Orwell grew up in the time prime of the wild west shows in the US, so it's not hard to imagine all that made its way to him.

King Metal
Jun 15, 2001

CitizenKain posted:

That is some impressive Jindal whitewashing going on there.

I didn't notice that. I went to look for the source of the photo, and that is the official photo from the Louisiana government website. The one in that flyer appears to be slightly whiter even.
http://www.gov.louisiana.gov/index.cfm?md=pagebuilder&tmp=home&navID=38&cpID=1&catID=0

I went ahead and fixed the rest of it for them.

King Metal
Jun 15, 2001
I like how they think that saying "negro" is the bad part

King Metal
Jun 15, 2001

Doctor Butts posted:

CFL's don't fit in all of my fixtures.

LED's are too expensive.

There's supposed to be those halogen bulbs that look like regular incandescent bulbs but I haven't put any effort in to find them. I will have to, soon, however.

About half of our light fixtures use halogen bulbs. They are pretty much just like incandescent bulbs, but they are smaller in some of the fixtures. The bulbs are smaller but they make all kinds of packages for them, including ones that look exactly like your normal incandescent bulb. They seem to last longer, but still make a lot of heat and cost more. I would like to find some LEDs that fit into the smaller fixtures.

King Metal fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jul 2, 2014

King Metal
Jun 15, 2001

inkblot posted:

I ran across quite the keeper in the wilds today! Now, judging by how old this thing is there is a high chance of it having been brought up before, but someone tried to sell me on this wonderful product - http://www.amazon.com/Worthless-Young-Persons-Indispensable-Choosing/dp/1467978302

Yes kids, read this before going off to college to learn valuable insight into picking a marketable and lucrative career path! Spoilers: it boils down to ":smug:get a STEM degree:smug:". Those fields not your forte? Pfft don't be a scrub. Happen to not be a white dude? Hope you like putting up with a lifetime of casual racism/misogyny! Bonus points for having the douchiest portrait of him on the back with a huge cigar in his mouth and the cover as a whole having absolutely no design thought put into it. I guess once we're all engineering contractors sneering at the poor we won't have the time to make our products not look like a 6th grade book report.

I took this from a review, but pretty mind blowing.

quote:

Among his arguments are that everyone who achieved success in the arts or business did so without studying them formally, and that any subject that can be learned by reading books should be studied in a library for free. He actually includes this chart:

Degree: / Replacement: / Savings:
Foreign Languages / Language Software / $29,721
Philosophy / Read Socrates / $29,980
Women's Studies / Watch Daytime TV / $30,000
Journalism / Start a blog / $30,000
Radio/Broadcasting / Apply / $30,000
Political Science / Listen to talk radio / $30,000
Theater / Audition for a play / $30,000
Literature / Go to the library / $30,000
English / Speak English / $30,000

Why yes, watching soap operas is exactly the same as women's studies, and you'll definitely get a PhD in political science listening to Rush.

King Metal
Jun 15, 2001

Cat Face Joe posted:

Someone in my office likes to put stuff like this on our bulletin boards. It's mostly bank and financial scaremongering. Sometimes there will a crazy right wing one and I'll scribble out a refutation on it only to be replaced with a fresh copy the next morning. This one, though, is interesting. I can't find anything about it but I'm pretty sure I'm not paying much more for my coffee than I was a year ago.

Price of coffee has skyrocketed this year because of a really bad drought in Brazil (then everything got flooded on top of that). Milk prices have gone up because of higher expors (FREE MARKET!) Not because of Obama or soshuhlism whatever that thing wants people to believe. I would guess metal prices dropping off because of China. Not sure about the others, but probably similar.

King Metal
Jun 15, 2001

VitalSigns posted:

Yeah, gently caress Freedom of Speech! In America I may not like what you say, so I'll defend to the death my right to kick your rear end for saying it!

It's not like the US owns any territory that is predominately Spanish speaking

King Metal
Jun 15, 2001

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Holy poo poo. I just saw a crazy fwd email on TV:

Thomas for Governor - Before It's Too Late:
http://youtu.be/xVox-DXVVJs

quote:

The investigative report was provided to a judge appointed by the Supreme Court, who made the decision to move forward with disciplinary recommendations against Thomas. The State Bar of Arizona's probable cause orders, signed by Judge Charles E. Jones, state that "Ethical violations by respondent, as described by Independent Bar Counsel, are far-reaching and numerous. Evidence thus far adduced portrays a reckless, four-year campaign of corruption and power abuse by respondent as a public official, undertaken at enormous and mostly wasteful cost to the taxpayers... Motivation for much of the alleged impropriety appears retaliatory, intended to do personal harm to the reputations of judges, county supervisors and other county officials... Actions by respondent appear intent on intimidation, focused on political gain, and appear fully disconnected from professional and prosecutorial standards long associated with the administration of justice ..." Judge Jones added a 33rd ethical violation in the probable cause orders: that Thomas failed to submit substantive responses to the investigator.[53]

Real Governor material there

King Metal
Jun 15, 2001

gatesealer posted:

Does he think he won't have to pay taxes elsewhere? Don't we have the lowest taxes of any first world country? So he is advocating not paying taxes here and going to some place where he will have to pay more taxes?

Even if you emigrate, you still owe the US taxes. You do get an exclusion up to a certain amount (around 90k). It sucks and it's a pain to do all the taxes in 2 countries

King Metal
Jun 15, 2001

Mehuyael posted:

Aren't there 4 simultaneous days every day, which means ~340k seconds?

No man on Earth has no belly-button - timecube 3:16

so, yes

King Metal
Jun 15, 2001

Skex posted:

I had some work done on my house a few years back and every contractor I hired ended up having some undocumented laborer do the actual work. Honestly if we were to deport all of the undocumented laborers, the country would fall apart because they seem to be the only ones who know how to actually do things (like fix plumbing, paint, carpentry).

How do you know they were undocumented? I do think it would be a wake up call if every undocumented person was deported. Wasn't there a Colbert segment on something like that. Where they had a farm advertise work for some decent money and only a couple real muricans showed up?

King Metal
Jun 15, 2001
You guys are making fun of this but you have no idea. After I had to buy my daughter a new dressage horse after we got back from our 4 week (got stiffed on vacation this year) mediterranean adventure, I only had enough money left to get a new E250 instead of the E550. Do you know how shameful it's going to be pulling into the country club in that? I haven't even gone for the last few weeks, I'll probably just consider the membership fees a loss

King Metal
Jun 15, 2001

iamnotcreative posted:

So this bit of crazy showed up in my news feed today

Because of course the FBI isn't in on the coverup and is just blindly releasing statistics

The report has a footnote by the 0, and it says "Does NOT include 27 victims of Newtown mass shooting". Just willful ignorance and stupidity

King Metal
Jun 15, 2001

iamnotcreative posted:

Where are you finding that? I'm here: http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/uc...s#disablemobile and not seeing it; I'd like something to point to if I decide to touch the poop

In the UCR this data is built from http://www.dpsdata.ct.gov/dps/ucr/data/2012/Crime%20In%20Connecticut%20COMPLETE%202012.pdf

I guess that would fall under stupidity for whoever built the table on the FBI site and didn't include things like that

King Metal
Jun 15, 2001

Guilty Spork posted:

Also, not only is "Press 1 for Spanish" not a thing (it's usually like number 8, mentioned after almost everything else except the option that lets you talk to a person), but oddly enough there are people here legally who do in fact speak Spanish.

I called the US Embassy here in Chile and I had to press '2' for English. It's already started :911:

King Metal
Jun 15, 2001

I didn't like memorizing things and this is exactly how I figured out how to add numbers when I was in grade school

King Metal
Jun 15, 2001

Ninjasaurus posted:

I was taught "9+7=16" instead of manipulating the numbers into "10+6" and I'm too lazy to re-learn how to do math better (properly?) but I can understand the change.

I'm pretty sure everyone was taught that way. But myself and some of the other people here said we came up with that method on our own. There's no proper way to do it, which is one of the points of the exercise. Some people are fine memorizing all of the addition/multiplication tables, some aren't.

King Metal
Jun 15, 2001

borkencode posted:

My cousin is all aboard the voter id train.

Behold the shining light of functional democracy that is Mexico!

It's free and used as a form of national id. Don't the same people keep saying that's going to destroy our freedoms or something?

King Metal
Jun 15, 2001
Ebola is God's reminder for us to not vote for dumbocrats

King Metal
Jun 15, 2001

Pleasing Shape posted:

There are dozens of counties in the US where you can never ever buy or sell any alcoholic beverages, any day of the week, any time of day.

This post was written on May 14, 2015, in the freedomest country on earth, :911:

Think Sharia Law in the US isn't real?
When Muslims gain in number, their first target is always alcohol.
As of May 14, 2015 there are already over 500 cities and counties in the US where you can't buy alcohol.

King Metal
Jun 15, 2001

Soviet Commubot posted:

I recently saw a guy post this, guess where he's from

:psyduck:Michigan:psyduck:

I grew up in a small town in Ohio, and pretty much every good ol' boy had a big truck with a confederate flag/sticker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Metal
Jun 15, 2001

mr. mephistopheles posted:

I haven't seen any black mass shooters. Must have got his talking points mixed up.

Don't you know the Oregon guy is half black, so there you go. He isn't pure aryan, so therefore he is full negro