Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Not just a Muslim, a DEVOUT one!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Toasticle posted:

The robot then proceeded to discuss the 'theory of relativity', 'inter-steller space travel', 'the latest medical break throughs',etc.......
This is the best part. What absolutely stimulating topics.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Grifter posted:

A lot of dumb things in this thread, but this one jumped right out at me. The Parent's Television Council is responsible for some absurd number of FCC television content complaints, something like 97% of all complaints come from them and, big surprise, they're a conservative group.
Christian groups are the ones filing all the FCC complaints against college radio and public radio stations all the time, too. They got crews of people to listen to your station 24 hours a day so they can file some complaints and hopefully get the station fined which will assuredly shut it down or at least make renewing the license a huge task. Then, when the independent station gets shut down, the Christians buy the bandwidth and pop up another Christian talk/music station. A group of people totally pumped about destroying independent media.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Rollersnake posted:

OK, not exactly a crazy political email from family, but constant Facebook posts from a high school friend who's gone Jesus-crazy. In reply I just posted a link to Wikipedia's "Introduction to Evolution" article, and he responded with the following:

It's been a good five years since I last took a biology class, and I'm kind of rusty. Would someone please help me formulate a good response to this, and ideally link me to a good source or two?
These are scrubby as hell objections. Spend some time on talkorigins. But the macro/micro distinction is the lamest one. All it really takes is to understand evolution beyond a 5th grader's conception of genetics and selection pressures.

In the end though, all these arguments turn in to is basically giving someone a lecture in evolution. They haven't engaged in any real scientific discourse, so they think their obvious-as-hell objections haven't been discussed for the last 200 years. I used to really love getting in evolution arguments online, but its 2009 now, the evolution-denial movement has been thoroughly shown for the fraud it is. People who talk like your friend are willfully ignorant.

Evoking Darwin is pretty silly, too. Its like "ohhh, the 19th century conceptions of the atom have proven to be wrong. GUESS THERE'S NO SUCH THING AS ATOMS"

ManoliIsFat fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Oct 23, 2009

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Anyone who complains about people at free clinics getting all the breaks has obviously never been to one.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

tek79 posted:

You're assuming the average modern Christian actually cares what Jesus actually said. He was, after all, a total liberal pussy. I doubt you'll sway them much.

I know that's an easy retort to prostelitizing Christians, but there's a bunch of material to cite (especially in the epistles) to be in-your-face about your worship of Jesus and God.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Ya, wasn't that a project for students?

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

SpergyGirl posted:

Fixed.

The quote doesn't even sound like Jefferson, or even any 18th- through 19-century figure. :eng99:

People don't really internalize poo poo like that or contextualize and appreciate intellectual history unless they're philosophers or lawyers or historians or some other breed of nerd.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Kageneko posted:

Uhg, someone make my dad stop...
Number of states in the Union: 48

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Vilerat posted:

I don't get it. Why would all the UN personnel in Haiti speak French? I just can't comprehend it!!

"Oh ya and also US Air are a bunch of cocks".

That is a finely crafted email forward. It's got a real distinct voice (of a crazy person).

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

LOL ya they just let him in to Harvard and on to the Law Review even though he never attended college.

http://www.wikicu.com/Barack_Obama#Columbia_years

http://www.snopes.com/politics/obama/columbia.asp

ManoliIsFat fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Feb 24, 2010

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Meatball posted:

Got a new one
This one was actually kind of hot last year. You don't hear much about THE CZARS anymore. Half of them are run of the mill appointments, some of them were even consented to by the Senate! Them mentioned every non-white person's race is great, but the funniest is obviously Richard Holbrooke. "Total liberal. Wants to ban guns. Wants Communist Manifesto to be the first thing Kindergartners learn. Anti-business. Also brokered the Bosnian peace"

Same with Mitchel "Former radical Senate Majority Leader. Ran the anti-American, pro-Soviet company Disney. helped broken the Northern Ireland's peace agreements"

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Navaash posted:

Oogh, this loving doozy crossed my desk. Have at it.

LOL ask a socialogist about the rise of crime in Arizona over the last decade. See what he says is really happening. All the "our white culture isn't taught in schools anymore, we're losing our nation!" stuff is just icing on the cake.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

RagnarokAngel posted:

http://www.snopes.com/katrina/soapbox/snowfall.asp
No it did not. Wouldn't be surprised if those shots weren't from it either.

LOL the best part is of COURSE they declared a disaster, called FEMA and the National Guard what the hell is these people's problem? That's what amazes me about letters like this. They don't really care about day-to-day, actual governing. They loathe even the most basic, libertarian-acknowledged functions of government, just because it's got some association in their mind to black people.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Gripen5 posted:

Where as the tax cuts were actually debt expanding, while the health plan lowered the national debt... oops.
Ya, but those tax cuts lead to the sweetest decade of stagnate wages ever. Can't you see how necessary they were for our economic prosperity as a nation?! A rising tide lifts all boats.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Nenonen posted:

It would sure make sense to buy prepaid cellphones in California and send them to Afghanistan for IED's!
Ya these people don't travel much do you know how many cellphones there are in the world? Not hard to pick up a few locally anywhere in the world.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

farraday posted:

I just like that the Walmart policy is apparently no imports.

Try and wrap your head around that one for a bit.

LOL, let alone if they had ever read these dudes they deify, you know, some Smith, some Ricardo, they would've seen that like every word on every page is about trade between nations. Importing and exporting is an old idea! Like, as old as writing things down!

But like, saying "heh, your anthropological knowledge is severely lacking" to that "conservatives walk like this, liberals walk like this!" doesn't mean anything. No one would forward on an email like this unless they were irredeemably stupid and uninformed. The type of person who'd send out "FWD:FWD:FWD:WHITE HOUSE WATERMELON PATCH (just a joke u pc fags)" aren't big book readers. Not engage serious scholarship, big idea people.

ManoliIsFat fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jun 10, 2010

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Also most people have horrible eyes for obvious photoshops. Besides the lighting being awful in all of them I think that last one is a famous campaign-era photo of Obama.

Blarghalt posted:

I'll still don't quite understand why ellipses are so prevalent in conservative e-mail chains.

Makes it seem ominous, "isn't that intersting..." and "you fill in the blanks here about UN blue helmets patrolling the streets, Sharia law and a carbon tax".

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

I really don't think that's true. Everyone's got a stereotype of a Mexican strawberry picker making $2 and hour, but I'm pretty even those jobs are over minimum wage. Employers work them an illegal amount of hours and days, but we have to be talking about the reality of their hardship, not some caricature. I'm not in school anymore, so I can't do a quick search myself, but I can't imagine there's not a bunch of studies on this.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Mornacale posted:

Why would an employer pay one cent more than the minimum required to keep the workers coming over? Is it likely that such a wage is above the Federal minimum? If so, what is the point of a minimum wage at all?

Because illegal labor is subject to some market demands. No one's gonna bust their balls for $1 a day. But I'm sure I remember wages around $10-$15 an hour for picking, I'll have to confirm that. But they cut corners with making people work in unsafe conditions, illegal hours/lack of breaks, etc.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Toad on a Hat posted:

Actually I read a piece that says the opinion's a good thing for Democratic candidates because it takes the gun rights issue off the table as a wedge issue for Republicans.

They've only got a dozen other ones.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Lansdowne posted:

This could also be referring to the estate tax. I'm not 100% on this, but I think it is repealed for 2010 due to a quirk in the law
The quirk in the law being they passed it through budget reconciliation.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Hutla posted:

Drinking with an Arizona Girl

I got this from my mom today, in 70pt red, white, and blue font.

A Mexican, an Arab,and an Arizona girl are in the same bar.When the Mexican
finishes his beer,he throws his glass in the air, pulls outhis pistol, and shoots
the glass to pieces.
He says, 'In Mexico, our glasses are so cheap we don't need to drink with the same one twice.'
The Arab, obviously impressed by this,drinks non-alcohol beer(cuz he's a muslim!),
throws it into the air, pulls out his AK-47, and shoots the glass to pieces.
He says, 'In the Arab World, we have so much sand to make glasses that we don't
need to drink with the same one twice either.'
The Arizona girl,cool as a cucumber,picks up her beer,downs it in one gulp,
throws the glass into the air, whips out her 45, and shoots the Mexican and the Arab.
Catching her glass,setting it on the bar, and calling for a refill,she says,
'In Arizona , we have so many illegal aliens that we don't have to
drink with the same ones twice.'
God Bless Arizona

I don't think she remembers that my roommate is Mexican.
This one is very funny to me because it obvious replaced "foreigners" with "illegal aliens" to seem not as bizarrely racist, but it stayed just as bizarrely racist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

RagnarokAngel posted:

FRIGHTENING SITUATION - OBAMA IS CHANGING THE FACE OF THE USA
It's true. You couldn't find a person who practiced Islam in NYC before he was president. It was all white people up until around Jan 2009.