Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

thegreatcodfish, Where do you live?

Why do you still go to that church? Do you do anything to counter his incorrect information he's putting out there as "facts?"

It is too bad that churches do this and get away with it. If you're tax exempt, stay out of politics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

honestshrubber posted:

Taking positions on public policy issues is not the same as "getting into politics." I really don't think there is anything wrong (legally or ethically) with a church or other non-profit expressing its views on policy issues and urging its members to participate in the political process, especially when there are no elections coming up that they could be viewed as trying to influence.

You don't find any ethical problems with this at all when the views they are expressing are based on outright lies in many of the cases that he listed?

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

thegreatcodfish posted:

Oh, I do. Believe me. You can't just stand up in the middle of the meeting and start yelling though.
I'm a fairly new "convert" from conservatism and discovering the outright lies is still a mind gently caress for me. I'm still trying to figure out a way to fight them. Facts don't help. The things that they point to in the bills can be, if twisted hard enough, seen as supporting what they say. I know this gonna sound chicken as hell, but whatever. No one except my wife knows how I feel about these things and there are certain people in my family that I would be ceriously afraid of finding out that I am more on the liberal side of the fence. One in particular is former DoD and has been buying weapons and ammo like crazy and has made jokes to the family about "if we named the dog Obama then I'd have to beat it every day" and other crap like that. Sometimes it just doesn't make sense to fight certain people. I'm educating who I can (my wife mostly at the moment) and gathering info to solidify my beliefs. I'm hoping that this thread will be helpful.

Sheri, I don't want to derail this thread too much so if its more appropriate, feel free to shoot me an email. Username @ gmail . Com

Naet, I got that in an email(not from my pastor, family member) a week or so ago. It's really funny to actually look in the bill to see what they are referencing.

Hey, no problem. I know it can be tough when you're the only one...my question was directed at honestshrubber who indicated that he saw nothing ethically wrong with what was going on.

Good for you for keeping an open mind. My family is not crazy (as in Palin levels of crazy) but I am extremely liberal and they are not so much. I cannot have a political discussion with them as they don't believe anything I present to them, no matter how sourced it is, and will believe anything Bill O'Reilly says. We don't talk about politics anymore, as it makes my mother too angry. I know how you feel.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Ah, but you see, we only use the parts of the bible that support our case-- so I'll ignore that.

It's sad, but true.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Toasticle posted:

No more from my rightwing boss.

Last tuesday he asked me, as a "diehard Obama supporter" if I was dissapointed with him yet. I said somewhat but probably not for the reasons you think I should be and started to explain why I think for example the current HC bill was looking like poo poo but he cut me off.

Wednesday morning I got fired.

Merry Christmas!

Are you serious? Do you think it was directly related to your conversation with him, or are there other factors? Holy crap that sucks.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Toasticle posted:

I live in a "right to work" state so I don't think any of that matters.

Well, if it was a protected class, it would matter. Being in a right to work state doesn't mean you can be fired for being pregnant, or black, or any other such characteristic of a protected class.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Not an e-mail, but I've decided it's probably not even worth trying with people anymore. A guy I'm friends posted some status on his facebook regarding his belief in global warming/climate change/whatever, and of course some people jumped all over it. I linked one (well, the only) person arguing against global warming to the Home documentary to watch... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqxENMKaeCU

and her rebuttal to me was a link to this story...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1254619/Baby-girl-survives-shot-chest-parents-global-warming-suicide-pact.html

I poo poo you not. After I got that, I said

But that has absolutely nothing to indicate that global warming is false, as you claim, but is just a story about a couple of crazies that shoot their children. I don't really see how that is relevant to this debate at all. But, if we're going for crazy news stories, then I guess...
http://omg.yahoo.com/blogs/a-line/lady-gagas-head-games/389?nc

That's the extent of trying that I do...I guess it's not really worth it to try to convince some people. And yes, the other girl in question is young (24ish) and college educated. Sigh.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Miss Fats posted:

I saw the same thing. The good news is now I have 2 fewer friends.

Same here. And one was an aunt.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Deuce posted:

I've got this going on facebook right now about Obama being credited for the OBL kill. "Obama didn't kill OBL, soldiers did! And just weeks ago he was considering not paying them!" I responded by asking where she'd heard anyone suggest that Obama actually pulled the trigger and whether or not she was aware that it wasn't Obama holding up the soldier pay.

"I'm entitled to my opinion! Everyone needs to back off!"

Yeah, it isn't about debate or discussion.

One of my husband's facebook friends posted the same status about Obama not killing Osama and the troop pay thing. He posted in response on there saying that saying Obama didn't kill Osama in the same way Osama wasn't flying the planes on 9/11 and no matter what you think about Obama he deserves some of the credit for it (and he also addressed the troop pay thing as well). The person deleted his response, he reposted it a couple more time and it was deleted by the person each time. Finally, my husband was unfriended by the original poster.

That actually made him feel pretty good-- the other guy was basically indicating he had no response for that and would rather delete him then deal with it.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Miss Fats posted:

It's a Mathematical certainty!

code:
P  r  a  i  s  e    A  l  l  a  h!
16+18+1+ 9+19+ 5+   1+ 12+12+1+ 8 = 102%

Ha! Amazing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Mister Bates posted:

Oh, and the guy who said something wrong, was corrected on it by a woman in the audience, and snapped back 'I didn't know the legacy of the Republican Party included women correcting men in public.' :mrapig:

This...actually happened? This year?