Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

perianwyr posted:

It is altogether possible that some of your friends have joined it for trolling purposes.

This one is a newly-converted libertarian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

crime fighting hog posted:

THE CARE BILL HB3200
Send them this longer version, it's scarier than they thought!
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3186581&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=2#post364592951

Or send them this. Some unnamed but brave soul deciding to actually check on this idiocy.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3178343&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=41#post365107556

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

HipGnosis posted:

If anyone gets the idea from that e-mail to buy <i>less</i> oil altogether, I'm kinda down with it.

My car doesn't run on oil it runs on gas. :smug:

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
Re: Muslims
Wait a loving minute. I know there are Muslim names listed among the troops who fought in the revolutionary war, and I'm pretty sure the captains of the Nina and Pinta were Muslims.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
The "drill baby drill" remarks are making the rounds on facebook again. (WE COULD HAVE STOPPED THESE GAS PRICES OMG!!!)

Anyone have a link to that graph of projected oil extraction from the deep water drilling? The one that shows it's like a 1% increase in output 10 years from now?

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I thought that the most common flat tax proposals included a monthly 'prebate,' a payment to cancel out all of their taxes for the first ten thousand dollars or so.

Ahh yes, mailing out a check every month to every single household filing taxes. So simple, the flat tax...

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
Nuclear Regulatory Commission! :argh:

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Zwabu posted:

By arguing with her, you were basically just spoiling her right wing fun. The people who indulge these email/FB forwards really couldn't care less about facts and verification, they're just reaffirming prejudices and preconceived notions (Christianity good, government bad, black people bad, Republicans good, Democrats bad) and membership in the Fox Nation tribe.

So her response of blocking you and reposting the thing without your inconvenient arguments is just the digital equivalent of sticking fingers in ears and going "I CAN'T HEAR YOU LALALALA" and going back to rituals of affirming membership in the right wing clan.

I've got this going on facebook right now about Obama being credited for the OBL kill. "Obama didn't kill OBL, soldiers did! And just weeks ago he was considering not paying them!" I responded by asking where she'd heard anyone suggest that Obama actually pulled the trigger and whether or not she was aware that it wasn't Obama holding up the soldier pay.

"I'm entitled to my opinion! Everyone needs to back off!"

Yeah, it isn't about debate or discussion.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Kosmonaut posted:

What's funny is it tries to dismiss the state as a bunch of gangster thugs but accidentally demonstrates why the state is necessary to protect hapless Randroids who can't tell gangster thugs from legitimate businessmen don't realize how little difference there is between the two

Man I thought I was missing something about those images but it turns out it wasn't me.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
Since when is frozen pizza some loving luxury? It's about as luxurious as having that refrigerator that is a sign of wealth these days.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Chunk posted:

All of the money saving is a handwaving distraction because drug testing for welfare is straight up unconstitutional and the discussion can really end right there.

There's nothing about welfare in the constitution. :smug:

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I always find linking this Thomas Paine pamphlet shuts those kind of people up. Of course it's probably because they don't want to read, but whatever.

They get pretty selective of their founding fathers.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

quote:

If you can't see the similarity then you are blind.

Facebook is always fun.

Also, trust these dead men!

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
The withdrawal method is not perfect under any circumstances who the gently caress told you that?

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Olanphonia posted:

Someone in the Political Cartoons thread posted this from his facebook news feed:

Yep.

*Not racist

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
"Sunny day out, had a great time at the beach!"

"YOU KNOW WHAT I HATE ABOUT BEACHES? ALL THE LIBERALS!"

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

rscott posted:

Some of the things that he is posting are technically true, it's just the conclusion that he's reaching from those things that is batshit insane. I'm going to take a wild guess though and say that he's a Paulbot?

This tends to be how conspiracy theories work in general. They take factual information and derive absolutely ridiculous conclusions.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Sarion posted:

What's more, we need to prevent gateway sexual activities, such as hand holding and kissing.

Disturbing implications for handshakes.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

The Worst Muslim posted:

Once there was a blonde woman who voted for Obama. She is a huge bitch. This is the kind of person Obama lets support him?! All mainstream media outlets won't cover this!

You joke, but:

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Oxford Comma posted:

Would someone mind explaining how America's debt is different than the debts of a household? My family uses this analogy all the time. I know its wrong, but don't know how to refute it.

Most of the "household's" debt is held by the people living in said "household." (Americans own most of the Federal debt)

Household's routinely borrow many times their income - check your mortgage

The US government can borrow pretty much unlimited funds at near-zero interest rates

"List the ways that a family of four is similar to the United States Federal Government."

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

miscellaneous14 posted:

I'm not sure how crazy it is, but my dad seems to get a kick out of apparent news of wind farms raising global climates by some small percentage. What the heck is this?

It's nothing. There is a highly localized effect of extra air mixing. It warms up ground temperatures slightly at night in the immediate vicinity of the wind turbines.

Ask him what effect on local temperatures he thinks a coal plant has.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Serfer posted:

From my dad's facebook:

What exactly does an American sounds like?

I'm sure the guys with all the marketing spreadsheets will read this and say "Of course! American accents. Why didn't we think of that?"

You know, instead of knowing full well that fancy sounding foreign accents make people buy more poo poo.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Don't most hyper-conservatives somehow considered themselves moderate if you were to ask them where they stood?

Of course. My views are reasonable, so they must be moderate and not extreme!

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
They pay taxes so its not benefiting from the government. It's everyone else who are the leaches.

This was the exact argument I ran across today. Aviation business. Airports, air traffic control. Nope, no government help.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I will laugh and then cry if Republicans really go the route of saying women are losing jobs under Obama when they themselves voted against ending wage discrimination.

They would have more jobs if we paid them less. Supply and demand, man. :smug:

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
The liberals don't have any guns so we can totally kick their asses but seriously guys Obama's browncoats are going to start murdering our children.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

sicarius posted:

I'd support a movement like this. I'd like to see kids in schools a bit longer - maybe even something like 9 to 5. I'd like to see less take home work, because it can lead to confusion and more time with teachers in things like study halls and "academic after hours". So yeah, makes perfect sense. If I had my way the only things kids would really do outside of school is assigned reading because that, to me at least, makes sense. You don't need to be on campus to read "Catcher in the Rye".

This all goes out the window in college, though, when it's time to buck up and be responsible. Then again, I'm an academic elitist who thinks we have too many people in higher education that neither belong, want, or need to be there and that we're watering down what it means to have an undergraduate degree.

College is a lot harder if you never learned how to study on your own.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

800peepee51doodoo posted:

If they divide up the beer the way we divide up our wealth, it would go something like this...

The 9th and 10th man would split 8 beers

The 7th and 8th would split 1.5 beers

The 6th would get a half a beer

The 1st through 5th would lick up whats left off the table

Somebody less lazy convert this story to calorie intake and explain how basically everybody starves to death except for the two dudes who die of heart failure from their obesity.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Sarion posted:

I post here often, but don't usually have content, just responses. But I came across something today that's kind of relevant and amusing. It's too long to post the whole thing here (several pages), but here's a link:

http://www.wnd.com/files/Focusletter.pdf

The summary: It's a letter written by Focus on the Family from 2008 about how terrible things will be under Obama. In particular it's written from the view point of a Christian in October 2012, warning America about how bad the next four years will be.

Some examples include:

It's kind of an interesting document, with the election right around the corner. All the things that were supposedly going to happen, and not one of them actually did; or if it did, it didn't have the effect promised (DADT repeal, for example). Apparently someone really has been keeping a shitthatneverhappened.txt - Focus on the Family.

Did anyone manage to get a copy of this document they can mirror? WND seems to have been either goonrushed or had it taken down, all I get is an error message and other sites don't have the complete documents.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

archangelwar posted:

These countries, as far as I know, do not have a deep history of using ID as a means to disenfranchise voters. Combine voter ID with a robust national ID program that was targeted at going through great lengths to ensure everyone has free ID. Then maybe you will see stronger support.

Not from Republicans you wouldn't. Protecting the electoral process isn't their goal.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

.Edward Penischin posted:

Starting to see this going around...

http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-902515

You don't have a right to know what guns I own. Here's me with a picture of said guns.

I got this with a different photo.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
edit: oh hey there fast moving thread.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
I might take a wild stab that Bush probably had children around for some signing of things. Possibly No Child Left Behind?

Of course, they'll respond with BLAMING BUSH!!

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
At which point does a car crash become "mysterious?"

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

ultimateforce posted:

Oh, they want men to be named IN THE NAME.

Edit: I am not going to censor their names. I am too busy for Photoshop right now.

http://www.facebook.com/will.baker.752/posts/630380320312401?comment_id=7732018&notif_t=share_comment Enjoy!

Update: Defriended.

They were being stupid but you were being a douchebag. That's not how you help these people.

...not that you can help these people.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Sprecherscrow posted:

You could just post that Cosby is 75 and had nothing to do with that horseshit.

The response is always "doesn't matter it's still true"

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Sulphuric Sundae posted:

Hadn't seen this one before, but all the awful FWDs in this thread eventually meld together until all I can remember is "gently caress you, got mine." So this may be a repost

If your fellow countrymen believe these items to be literally true... You might be in a country founded by geniuses and run by idiots.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

katlington posted:

That drat muslum woman sure gets around, she was in the UK last week. Some people never learn.

She's found throughout the US regularly as well. Clearly some kind of super spy with multiple passports in a safe deposit box somewhere.

edit: Master of disguise too, sometimes she's black and has an iphone.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Quote-Unquote posted:

I keep thinking of the Burn Notice intro now.

My name is Michael Westen.
I used to be a muslim spy until...
'Excuse me, but hundreds of thousands of Australian men and women, just like this ladies son have fought and sacrificed their lives so that people just like YOU can stand here in Australia, which is MY country, and allow you to blatantly accuse an innocent check-out cashier of bombing YOUR countrymen. It is my belief that if you were allowed to be as outspoken as that in Iraq , which you claim to be YOUR country , then we wouldn't need to be fighting there today. However - now that you have learned how to speak out and criticise the Australian people who have afforded you the protection of MY country, I will gladly pay the cost of a ticket to help you pay your way back to Iraq. When you get there , and if you manage to survive for being as outspoken as what you are here in Australia , then you should be able to help straighten out the mess which YOUR Iraqi countrymen have got you into in the first place , which appears to be the reason that you have come to MY country to avoid.'
*whistle*

You know cashiers, bunch of bitchy little girls.

Always amusing how my brain flawlessly transitions into Donovan's voice.

edit: "That your manager again?"

"...iiiff you're desperate."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

VideoTapir posted:

A lot of "the media won't even report it!" stories should at least have court records associated with them.

Most of them actually are being reported in the media. Most recently for me it was "Liberal media not talking about this abortion doctor and his house of horrors."

Huffington Post had fifteen articles on the guy.