Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thegreatcodfish
Aug 2, 2004
How about stuff pastors hand out?

quote:

The Issues

As Christians, our number one course of action is to pray for those in authority and for our nation. But we cannot stop there - we must also fight on every level we can. It is essential to keep your ears and eyes open to act when necessary, and to educate others at every opportunity. Free market is under attack because the marketplace is a mountain that needs to be ruled! The health care issues are important because people that choose to live by faith would be penalized for it. Our children are our responsibility - not the state's or the world's. So let's get busy!

1. UN Convention the Rights of the Child" treaty (CRC)
Our ratification of this treaty would constitutionally obligate us to follow
it's tenets, which are often interpreted in the most liberal terms possible.
For example, a judge in Ohio, who thought we had signed the treaty, banned smoking in homes as harmful to children, citing the treaty as his authority
for doing so. Any state or federal laws could be dismissed if they conflict
with provisions of the treaty (such as abortion restrictions on minors).
There has been dispute about this constitutional obligation, but from what I
have read, there is a real danger in this regard, and therefore, we must
oppose ratification of this treaty. The current administration is very
determined to get it ratified as quickly as possible.

Action to take: Contact President Obama and your senator and urge them to oppose ratification. Ask them to cosponsor the SJRes 16 - the Parental Rights Amendment.

2. Health Care Reform
There are several versions of this being proposed, but the original proposal is
H.R. 3200. There is a ton of reading to be done about this, but here are some
bottom line bullet points that are in the bill that are of great concern:
a. Abortion, not currently paid for with federal dollars, will become a funded medical procedure.
b. Euthanasia definitely has an inroad through wording in the bill
c. Government access to your checking account and the right to withdraw from it through a national health card
d. Employees who do not participate in a plan will be taxed at a proposed additional 8%. This is estimated to eliminate 5 million jobs.
e. As an individual, if you choose not to have coverage, you will be taxed.
f. Your health care will be rationed by a committee that determines your need - care and need will not be determined by your doctor, but by gov. mandate
g. Groups like ACORN will have input and access into hospital expansions and local policies
h. Vaccines will be required
i. There will be a huge expansion of government departments and beaurocracies to regulate, maintain, and control this vast program. These will be the people that determine implementation of much of the plan.
j. The cost is 100's of billions of dollars, with no clear plan for paying for it, other than additional taxes on anyone making over $350,000 a year (this figure includes the revenue of small businesses, not just personal income, so we could expect to see job losses from this.)

The proposals in their current state are draconian and just ambiguous enough to
allow a vast scope of regulation and liberal interpretation. The proposed costs
do not include the amount of taxes each state would be required to raise to pay
for unfunded mandates, not to mention the governments complete inability to
properly estimate the cost of anything, much less stick to a budget.

Action to take: The Democrats have vowed to quickly pass is bill when they reconvene in Sept. Now is the time to contact your senator and congressman with your opposition. In addition, you need to be prepared to defend your position among your co-workers and family who may be in favor of it. Go to or form town meetings to protest. Plaster your car with bumper stickers. There is a ground swell of opposition, and polls show that almost 80% of Americans oppose this bill - but the media is ignoring all of that. If you are aware of a protest event, call your local paper, radio, and TV news station insist that they cover it. Write letters to the editor - the AJC, Time and Newsweek need to get a barrage of letters about this.

3. Cap and Trade - H.R. 2454 - The American Clean Energy and Security Act of 2009
This is an energy bill that will raise the cost of energy exponentially. Listen to
the discipleship class teaching from 8/2/09 for a greater understanding of how
this legislation works and what it's origins are. The attitude behind this bill is that we must save the planet regardless of the cost; humans are the problem and must suffer the consequences of our misuse of Mother Earth. Some effects of this bill:
1. Because transportation and energy prices will rise dramatically and very quickly, we can expect the price of food and goods to follow.
2. Both large and small businesses will be unable to absorb the increased costs, resulting in layoffs and closings.
3. All Americans will have a much larger proportion of their budget towards transportation and energy. The poor and those on fixed incomes will suffer greatly from this. If credits are proposed to offset this, there will be additional taxes levied to cover those credits.

Action to take: This bill has already passed the House!! It merely awaits Senate vote to become law. Call, write, pound on your Senator's door in the middle of the night. Write letters to the editor of the AJC, Time, and Newsweek

4. EFCA - Employee Free Choice Act (EFCA)

This is an act that would take away the secret ballot in labor elections
and allow unions to get employees to sign cards in favor of the union instead. It will subject employees to peer pressure. Also, once they sign the card, they cannot change their mind and "unsign" after further discussion with their employer over issues. A government arbitrator would set wages, hours, and employment terms - the employer would not have input into the process.

Action to take: Let your congressman and senator know that you are opposed to this act being brought back before them

5. The "Credit Card Fair Fee Act" - H.R. 2695

National retailers are proposing a legislation that would authorize them to band together and take over the nation's electronic payments system, which allows credit/debit cards to be used at retailers across the nation. The retailers pay a fee for this service, as little as .05% per transaction to as much as 12%. This act would not give retailers under a certain level of sales the option to have this service, no matter how much they were willing to pay for it. They would be forced into a cash or paper check payment only, which will reduce their sales and ultimately reduce free market competition. Can anyone say "Walmart"?

Action to take: Let your congressman and senator know that you are opposed to any action along these lines. This issue is not the same one as protecting consumers from unfair credit practices. You can google H.R.2695 for more info

The following sites will provide detailed information on the above issues:

https://www.heritage.org

https://www.afa.net

Both of these sites are easy to navigate and have clear links to these most of these issues. For the EFCA, go to the heritage.org site and type EFCA into the search link.

I'm working on capturing and uploading a power point he had someone do on "An Inconvenient Truth" a few weeks ago. If I can find it I will post the entire email he did on the Rights of the Child (If anyone is interested). It's pretty bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thegreatcodfish
Aug 2, 2004

sheri posted:

thegreatcodfish, Where do you live?

Why do you still go to that church? Do you do anything to counter his incorrect information he's putting out there as "facts?"

It is too bad that churches do this and get away with it. If you're tax exempt, stay out of politics.

Georgia. I still go because I have gone for 25 years and my family and friends are there. It wasn't like this until recently, this past month or two has been the worst. For a long time it was the only church I knew of that actually steered fairly clear of politics in general, but that's probably because they were in power. I've been working on going through the stuff he sends out and trying to find real facts to disprove stuff. Not sure what I will do with it yet though. I know what I should do, but I don't know if I want to be labeled a heretic yet :P

I agree on the tax exempt point for sure.

thegreatcodfish
Aug 2, 2004

sheri posted:

You don't find any ethical problems with this at all when the views they are expressing are based on outright lies in many of the cases that he listed?

Oh, I do. Believe me. You can't just stand up in the middle of the meeting and start yelling though.
I'm a fairly new "convert" from conservatism and discovering the outright lies is still a mind gently caress for me. I'm still trying to figure out a way to fight them. Facts don't help. The things that they point to in the bills can be, if twisted hard enough, seen as supporting what they say. I know this gonna sound chicken as hell, but whatever. No one except my wife knows how I feel about these things and there are certain people in my family that I would be ceriously afraid of finding out that I am more on the liberal side of the fence. One in particular is former DoD and has been buying weapons and ammo like crazy and has made jokes to the family about "if we named the dog Obama then I'd have to beat it every day" and other crap like that. Sometimes it just doesn't make sense to fight certain people. I'm educating who I can (my wife mostly at the moment) and gathering info to solidify my beliefs. I'm hoping that this thread will be helpful.

Sheri, I don't want to derail this thread too much so if its more appropriate, feel free to shoot me an email. Username @ gmail . Com

Naet, I got that in an email(not from my pastor, family member) a week or so ago. It's really funny to actually look in the bill to see what they are referencing.

thegreatcodfish
Aug 2, 2004

sheri posted:

Hey, no problem. I know it can be tough when you're the only one...my question was directed at honestshrubber who indicated that he saw nothing ethically wrong with what was going on.

Good for you for keeping an open mind. My family is not crazy (as in Palin levels of crazy) but I am extremely liberal and they are not so much. I cannot have a political discussion with them as they don't believe anything I present to them, no matter how sourced it is, and will believe anything Bill O'Reilly says. We don't talk about politics anymore, as it makes my mother too angry. I know how you feel.

Whoop. I feel like a dumbass. I was on my blackberry and skimmed what you quoted. Ah well.

edit: atonement for my sins

quote:

USRPN: Urgent Prayer & Action Concerning Children's Rights
United States Reformation Prayer Network
Jun 25, 2009

Dear Friends,

We received this urgent message for prayer activism from our United States Reformation Prayer Network New York Apostle, Joseph Askins.

The agenda to see that our rights as parents be greatly diminished or taken away is very serious under the following treaty.

This only verifies the revelation God gave me that the "strongman" over America is in New York over the United Nations.

Please read this email carefully and take action as well as forward it to others.

God bless you,

Cindy Jacobs

The Obama administration is reportedly close to pushing ratification of the "UN Convention on the Rights of the Child" treaty (CRC). This is a call for prayer and action!

On June 1 and 2, Georgetown University Law School hosted a two-day symposium entitled "The Convention on the Rights of the Child (CRC): Why It Is Time to Ratify." This well-funded conference was held to organize a new coalition effort by American internationalists to seek ratification of the UN child's rights treaty.

Click here (http://www.ifapray.org/ScienceArtCulture/SAC_2009/ChildRightsForcesMobilize.html) to read entire article.

Ten things you need to know about the content of the CRC:

Parents would no longer be able to administer reasonable spankings to their children.
A murderer aged 17 years and 11 months and 29 days at the time of his crime could no longer be sentenced to life in prison.
Children would have the ability to choose their own religion while parents would only have the authority to give their children advice about religion.
The best interest of the child principle would give the government the ability to override every decision made by every parent if a government worker disagreed with the parent's decision.
A child's "right to be heard" would allow him or her to seek governmental review of every parental decision with which the child disagreed.
According to existing interpretation, it would be illegal for a nation to spend more on national defense than it does on children's welfare.
Children would acquire a legally enforceable right to leisure.
Christian schools that refuse to teach "alternative worldviews" and teach that Christianity is the only true religion "fly in the face of article 29" of the treaty.
Allowing parents to opt their children out of sex education has been held to be out of compliance with the CRC.
Children would have the right to reproductive health information and services, including abortions, without parental knowledge or consent.
Please pray and call officials and let your voice be heard.

Here’s what we need you all to do:

1. Call the White House comments line at 202-456-1111. Tell them you heard the administration wants to ratify the CRC, and you strongly oppose this giving away of U.S. sovereignty to the UN. Also keep in mind that this treaty gives the government jurisdiction to override any decision made by any parent if the government thinks that a better decision can be made—even if there is no proof of any harm.

2. Call Ambassador Susan Rice’s office at the United Nations. Tell her that you want her to represent the United States to the world rather than trying to get the United States to go along with international law initiated by the UN. The US Mission at the United Nations can be reached at 212-415-4000 (press 6 to leave your message). This number has been disconnected through our efforts. You can also contact the Public Diplomacy Office at 212-415-4050. We are no longer urging calls to the U.S. office at the United Nations.

3. Contact your Senators and urge them to oppose ratification of this treaty. (Find your Senators’ contact information by typing your zip code into the box here.) Ask them also to defeat it once and for all by cosponsoring SJRes 16 – the Parental Rights Amendment.

It is very important that we speak up right now. Please call before you close this email!

This is not a message our officials want to hear, so speak courteously but do not expect a cordial reception. The important thing is to get the message through. It is important that you make this call. A decision by the President is imminent.

"The king's heart is in the hand of the Lord, like the channels of water; He turns it wherever He wishes." (Proverbs 21:1)

Click here to read 10 more things you should know about CRC

Click here to visit the home page of ParentalRights.org

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

Dear Friend of Parental Rights,

Monday in a Harlem middle school, U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations Susan Rice told a group of 120 students that administration officials are actively discussing “when and how it might be possible to join” (that is, ratify) the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child (CRC). As before, she also communicated what a disgrace it is that the U.S. would stand with only Somalia against such a widely-accepted treaty.

This is the first direct public statement by the Obama administration that it will seek ratification of the UN CRC.

In my 30 years of political involvement, I have learned to recognize this as what is called a “trial balloon.” Like in World War I trench warfare, our opponents have “sent up a balloon” to see if it will draw fire. If things remain quiet, they will proceed with their plans to push for ratification of the CRC in the U.S. Senate.

To discourage them from doing so, we need to make sure that our voices are heard with unmistakable clarity. We must let the Obama administration know that we oppose this anti-family, anti-American treaty.

Sincerely,

Michael Farris

Neither of these people are my pastor, just an email that was forwarded.

thegreatcodfish fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Aug 17, 2009

thegreatcodfish
Aug 2, 2004

the posted:

That sounds like the greatest thing... why hasn't this been ratified yet?

Because people want to beat their children.

thegreatcodfish
Aug 2, 2004
Oh hey look, another from my pastor! I've seen this before, but they thought to include Obama for this round of FWD: FWD: FWD: Very Funny

quote:

Subject: FW: Craig's List AD

AN ACTUAL CRAIG'S LIST PERSONALS AD

To the Guy Who Tried to Mug Me in Downtown Savannah night before last.

Date: 2009-05-27, 1:43 a.m. E.S.T.

I was the guy wearing the black Burberry jacket that you demanded that I hand over, shortly after you pulled the knife on me and my girlfriend, threatening our lives. You also asked for my girlfriend's purse and earrings. I can only hope that you somehow come across this rather important message.

First, I'd like to apologize for your embarrassment; I didn't expect you to actually crap in your pants when I drew my pistol after you took my jacket. The evening was not that cold, and I was wearing the jacket for a reason. My girlfriend had just bought me that Kimber Model 1911 .45 ACP pistol for my birthday, and we had picked up a shoulder holster for it that very evening. Obviously you agree that it is a very intimidating weapon when pointed at your head ... isn't it?!

I know it probably wasn't fun walking back to wherever you'd come from with that brown sludge in your pants. I'm sure it was even worse walking bare-footed since I made you leave your shoes, cell phone, and wallet with me. [That prevented you from calling or running to your buddies to come help mug us again].

After I called your mother or "Momma" as you had her listed in your cell, I explained the entire episode of what you'd done. Then I went and filled up my gas tank as well as those of four other people in the gas station, -- on your credit card. The guy with the big motor home took 150 gallons and was extremely grateful!

I gave your shoes to a homeless guy outside Vinnie Van Go Go's, along with all the cash in your wallet. [That made his day!]

I then threw your wallet into the big pink "pimp mobile" that was parked at the curb ... after I broke the windshield and side window and keyed the entire driver's side of the car.

Later, I called a bunch of phone sex numbers from your cell phone. Ma Bell just now shut down the line, although I only used the phone for a little over a day now, so what 's going on with that? Earlier, I managed to get in two threatening phone calls to the DA's office and one to the FBI, while mentioning President Obama as my possible target.

The FBI guy seemed really intense and we had a nice long chat (I guess while he traced your number etc.).

In a way, perhaps I should apologize for not killing you ... but I feel this type of retribution is a far more appropriate punishment for your threatened crime. I wish you well as you try to sort through some of these rather immediate pressing issues, and can only hope that you have the opportunity to reflect upon, and perhaps reconsider, the career path you've chosen to pursue in life. Remember, next time you might not be so lucky. Have a good day!

Thoughtfully yours,

Alex

P.S. Remember this motto ... An armed society makes for a more civil society!

I really need to leave this church, but I fear what I may find in other churches in the area...

thegreatcodfish
Aug 2, 2004

Zwabu posted:

There is another option. (j/k)

I struggle with that every day that I see stuff like this coming from "Christians".

quote:

I love that the guy in email's response to getting almost robbed was to commit armed robbery himself. Plus burglary and criminal damage on some poor guy's car (a car he assumed belonged to the robber but had no proof). Plus all the telephone crap. Great stuff.

Yeah, that was my favorite part too. So much for turn the other cheek. I am tempted to just respond with Matthew 5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thegreatcodfish
Aug 2, 2004
Pretty much anyone can get a discount at Macy's provided you had to travel 250 miles to get to the store.

http://www.visitmacysusa.com/visitors/savings.cfm