Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

Mido posted:

not particularly, a lot of shots will feel cheap and bad if you shoot eye level so I have a bit of a lean or crouch, I try never to look at my screen or shot preview because then you get obsessive and look like an idiot. I just put my DSLR in aperture priority and have the dpad set to change focus/spot metering targets in the viewfinder and go to town and discover what did and didn't work when I get home and do my import

Awesome, thanks. I noticed it wasn't eye level and am just a disaster trying to shoot from the hip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

other benefit to not staring at your screen all the time to see if your precious shots look ok is a hilariously prolonged battery life

driving a high dpi screen + backlight eats battery life for breakfast

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

"same"

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

im goin back and forth on the crop on that one

edit: better edition i thikn

a cyberpunk goose fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Oct 24, 2014

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
Second one is stronger. That grill either has to go or has to become a larger bit of composition. My opionion on that might be slightly different if it was a color photo.

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011
I agree, the second one does look better in my eyes.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

Medieval Medic posted:

I agree, the second one does look better in my eyes.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

small bounty from today

edit: oops

edit 2:

user Niamh had some good feedback on the fire photo: "Too shallow a DOF for me. (Also the sock/foot in the background is distracting, once seen, etc.) Maybe if you had isolated the falme in the foreground as well, but ultimately I'm looking for something else apart from the burner and I can't find anything to go for."

which i strongly agree with

a cyberpunk goose fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Oct 25, 2014

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I think this shot is fantastic but I'm also a ~car guy~ which means I have all sorts of weird feelings when seeing a donut on a car.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

VelociBacon posted:

I think this shot is fantastic but I'm also a ~car guy~ which means I have all sorts of weird feelings when seeing a donut on a car.

My first thought "Well at least the loving thing probably isn't on a drive wheel".

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.
my first thought was "well at least it is on a street", the thoughts that followed are not worth sharing. What are you trying convey with these photos other than "this is a spare wheel", "this is moss on a roof" ?

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

deaders posted:

my first thought was "well at least it is on a street", the thoughts that followed are not worth sharing. What are you trying convey with these photos other than "this is a spare wheel", "this is moss on a roof" ?

they are boring and I admit that, the wheel one has nice composition in my mind but that's it, it doesn't belong here, neither does the moss one I guess

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.

deaders posted:

Some people shoot for texture and color rather than subject. I like all three pictures Mido posted.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

...ah, the back of a STATUE'S head. Well played.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Mightaswell posted:

Some people shoot for texture and color rather than subject. I like all three pictures Mido posted.

i appreciate the positive feedback, no hugboxing though! i agree with the notion that street photography should sort of try to say *something* other than look nice, so ill try to only post those kinds of photos in here and ill find a thread for other types of photos

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

DROPPIN SOME STREET BOMBS ON YALL

i dont know this man he was just making a wonderful smile, i might gently caress with the color on that hydrant in the bottom left and softly desaturate it or straight up move it to another color

i very much like this one

"ehh" on this one

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .

deaders posted:

I dunno, I found all the photos to have an amorphous erotic quality.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

IanTheM posted:

I dunno, I found all the photos to have an amorphous erotic quality.

I guess I'll banned for posting homegroan :sigh:

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Mido posted:

i dont know this man he was just making a wonderful smile, i might gently caress with the color on that hydrant in the bottom left and softly desaturate it or straight up move it to another color

don't touch a thing.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

VendaGoat posted:

don't touch a thing.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

4:09 AM better edit photos i took an hour ago!!!

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

These are from the last few weeks

baby dog by dshenphotos, on Flickr

I should have used flash here.

bigger baby dog by dshenphotos, on Flickr

busker banjo by dshenphotos, on Flickr

dealerman by dshenphotos, on Flickr

scoot by dshenphotos, on Flickr

Most of these have been cropped in some way.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

I like this one a lot. The others seem a bit boring to me, but I'm still trying to get an eye for street work. So people will probably disagree with me.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

VendaGoat posted:

Mido posted:

don't touch a thing.

Disagreed: please touch the magenta/green tint slider.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

MrBlandAverage posted:

don't touch a thing.

I'm going to touch your slider.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

Is this terrible?

Grocery Store by Paul Frederiksen, on Flickr

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

MrBlandAverage posted:

agreeing with this now that I'm looking at it on my iPhone, I need to get a better monitor :(

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
This thread sucks.

Photobeers, Portland by Ashade76, on Flickr

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

Going threw some stuff from my recent trip...

The Recycler by Paul Frederiksen on 500px

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Musket posted:

This thread sucks.

Photobeers, Portland by Ashade76, on Flickr

:justpost:

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Laura and Allen by mattphilpott, on Flickr

Bounce by mattphilpott, on Flickr

Deflate by mattphilpott, on Flickr

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
"Great Sign" by TomOlson, on Flickr

PBs by TomOlson, on Flickr

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Calder by Cacator, on Flickr

Hipster Photo by Cacator, on Flickr

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

I like how the windows roll into each other in the frames.

The Greatest City by Paul Frederiksen, on Flickr

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

That bench is a liar

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

try it with a lime posted:

That bench is a liar

Read the small print.

"...to get murdered in."

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.
Get a shot of a junkie nodding off on that bench and you've achieved art or something

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
I went back and retouched this one a bit and I think it works better as in b&w than in color

_DSC0412 1-2 by rchan02, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

feigning interest posted:

Get a shot of a junkie nodding off on that bench and you've achieved art or something

it'll happen.