Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Mrenda posted:

I'm a little conflicted about these two. On first read I can imagine them coming across as quite judgmental photos, a mother ignoring her child. I think if you think about the situation it becomes apparent that a mother could be awake with a child for sixteen hours a day, and looking after them, so no parent is going to be engaged with the child constantly. I just worry that the image, purely through my selection is quite judgmental in that regard.

I think the first one also speaks to growth of a child to an adult, and the engagement of society; the fool behind him throwing his arms up as the child's potential future, and the child actively engaged with society around. While the second talks a little about technology, and mobile phones and how a very young child is more engaged with his surroundings than a grown adult. I just worry that the surface reading of a mother ignoring her child is too strong in this, and nothing else will be taken from the image.

I'd especially like to hear what any mothers think? (Or even fathers.)

:350::420:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

Is there a "I was drinking and reading a history of art photography book" smiley?

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

I'm both a mother and a father and that first pic is bad because of that dude hulking out in the back

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Mrenda posted:

Is there a "I was drinking and reading a history of art photography book" smiley?

:hfive: we all do it from time to time. :)

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

You're reading way too into them

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

They're both pretty weak shots. If you have something going through your head like that when you're out photographing, you really need to explore the scene from as many angles as possible to try and find a way of translating that into an image that works. It doesn't necessarily taking mean swooping around and taking a hundred shots, but walk around and try to figure out your framing, how your subject(s) interact with the environment, have a good knowledge of what lens you're using and how far you need to be to make your shot work. Most of the time, you won't get the shot, but you learn from your bad pictures by tossing them out instead of trying to eek something out of them that isn't there. When "it" is there, you'll know it.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Medieval street photography.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

vendagoat can you write a 2 paragraph short form essay on why this photo speaks to you

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
His eyes and the jewels in the crown play off each other. He seems kingly and kind and what we want from a king despite being an actor at a ren faire.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Needs some more false color HDR and maybe a touch of artificial background blurring.

~art~ is hard, guys

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Wild EEPROM posted:

Needs some more false color HDR and maybe a touch of artificial background blurring.

~art~ is hard, guys

http://pittsburghrenfest.com/photo-contest/

What? Are you psychic?

Beige
Sep 13, 2004

Nice portfolio

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

This is how I feel when posting

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

The second one :eyepop:

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Is this now the "best photographer"/feeling of acceleration jokes thread? I am ok with that.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

hi liter posted:

Is this now the "best photographer"/feeling of acceleration jokes thread? I am ok with that.

Hasn't it always been

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

You know the photo was chosen for its rad post production!

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

no, just a judge

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.

KinkyJohn posted:

You know the photo was chosen for its rad post production!

Looks a little soft.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Wild EEPROM posted:

no, just a judge

So, can I like, bribe you to win the contest?

My ego really needs this.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

really tho what are some good resources on street photography technique?

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Just look at good street photos

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

This guy is real good http://severinkoller.at/blog/

Look at his photos.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Grandmaster.flv posted:

really tho what are some good resources on street photography technique?

http://erickimphotography.com/blog/
I don't read this as much as I used to, but it has some really strong articles and is well organized. The one about working scenes is especially good.

Honestly, I feel like I've learned a lot from posting here and getting poo poo on. Its not fun at the time when it happens, but I feel like the advice I've gotten here has been very valuable. Not to say that I think I'm good now or anything, but I certainly feel like the photos I share now are significantly stronger than the ones I was sharing a year ago, and that is direct result of really thinking about the criticisms people have shared with me here. I also share fewer photos because I'm trying to hold myself to a higher standard.

I'm also a big believer in learn by doing. Go outside and take poo poo photos. Share them. Aggressively seek out critique and try and learn from it. People in this thread can be pretty rough in their delivery but I firmly believe that they mean well and want all us shitters to be better photographers, if only so we don't share as much poo poo.

And of all the cliche axioms/quotes people throw around, I'm a big fan of "If your photos aren't good enough, you're not close enough".

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

VendaGoat posted:

Medieval street photography.

King poo poo of post mountain

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

hi liter posted:

http://erickimphotography.com/blog/
I don't read this as much as I used to, but it has some really strong articles and is well organized. The one about working scenes is especially good.

Honestly, I feel like I've learned a lot from posting here and getting poo poo on. Its not fun at the time when it happens, but I feel like the advice I've gotten here has been very valuable. Not to say that I think I'm good now or anything, but I certainly feel like the photos I share now are significantly stronger than the ones I was sharing a year ago, and that is direct result of really thinking about the criticisms people have shared with me here. I also share fewer photos because I'm trying to hold myself to a higher standard.

I'm also a big believer in learn by doing. Go outside and take poo poo photos. Share them. Aggressively seek out critique and try and learn from it. People in this thread can be pretty rough in their delivery but I firmly believe that they mean well and want all us shitters to be better photographers, if only so we don't share as much poo poo.

And of all the cliche axioms/quotes people throw around, I'm a big fan of "If your photos aren't good enough, you're not close enough".

Being willing to get poo poo on and not have your feelings hurt by is is the best skill a photog can have imo

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Fart Car '97 posted:

Being willing to get poo poo on and not have your feelings hurt by is is the best skill a photog can have imo

Even Astronauts take poo poo photographs.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/projectapolloarchive/page1

Every Apollo Picture, and there is a ton of poo poo. gently caress everyone though if you don't think I'm going to have a :coffee: and look at them all.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

unpacked robinhood fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Oct 9, 2015

dunos
Feb 6, 2007

I refuse to be part of your furry fantasies
A little street/photojournalism today. Accidentally stumbled across protesting doctors.

NHS Junior Doctor Protest, Bristol by dunos, on Flickr

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Have a poo poo photo of a woman posing (?). I couldn't figure out what was going on between them so I took a poo poo photo of it.

Coney Island, 2015

Awkward Davies fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jan 20, 2018

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

have u considered throwing taht photo in the trash can you didn't crop out of the foreground?

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Fart Car '97 posted:

have u considered throwing taht photo in the trash can you didn't crop out of the foreground?

The idea is make the viewer feel that they are headed directly in to the trash can. It's a metaphor for my photography.

Soopafly
Mar 27, 2009

I have a peanut allergy.

windex
Aug 2, 2006

One thing living in Japan does is cement the fact that ignoring the opinions of others is a perfectly valid life strategy.

Awkward Davies posted:

Have a poo poo photo of a woman posing (?). I couldn't figure out what was going on between them so I took a poo poo photo of it.

I have a thing where every time I see a white person with a selfie stick in Japan, I take a photo of them with a real camera, overtly, because it's hilarious. They usually give me the eye like this guy.

This photo isn't great but I don't want to go through all my photos for the last couple years right now.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
haha same with japs here, they don't say anything because they're polite and small. Taking pictures in public lmao

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
this thread doesn't even need photos in it to be terrible

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

So I was grumpy about the blown focus but a month later I still kind of like this photo. Same as before, poo poo or not poo poo? Also, better as color or black and white?

wedgie deliverer fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Oct 15, 2015

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

hi liter posted:

So I was grumpy about the blown focus but a month later I still kind of like this photo. Same as before, poo poo or not poo poo? Also, better as color or black and white?

You're right not to worry about missing focus. It's terrible either way.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

elgarbo posted:

You're right not to worry about missing focus. It's terrible either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Hmm, alright. Thanks for the feedback.