Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JuanChai
Mar 3, 2007
The Chairman of the Bawd
Haha! He needs some more burgers though! Also, I'll see your Elvis and raise you another...

DSC_0322 by R-W-P, on Flickr

Sorry about posting lots of pics, I only just discovered the photography forum having been directed by someone in Automotive Insanity. Looking forward to getting some tips, critiques and advice from fellow Goons.

Living in Hong Kong gives some great opportunities for street photography. I have always been a little reticent about taking photos of people in the street in the past but I am overcoming this and find that folk actually really don't mind the attention!

1234567s by R-W-P, on Flickr

123456s by R-W-P, on Flickr

123s by R-W-P, on Flickr

Going for a movie grab type shot with this one. I have been trying to get a good washed out, neutral tone to suit the HK streets which are flooded with neon most of the time. I'd like to achieve a kind of Wong Ka Wai movie effect. I'm getting there, but still not satisfied yet.

aUntitled-1 by R-W-P, on Flickr

Untitled by R-W-P, on Flickr

Face in the Crowd by R-W-P, on Flickr

Some random ones...

DSC_5892 by R-W-P, on Flickr

DSC_1352 by R-W-P, on Flickr

Causeway Bay Market by R-W-P, on Flickr

Waiting to Cross by R-W-P, on Flickr

Minibus Driver by R-W-P, on Flickr

One of my faves

Fishballs by R-W-P, on Flickr

BBQ by R-W-P, on Flickr

DSC_1333 by R-W-P, on Flickr

DSC_5873 by R-W-P, on Flickr

DSC_5715 by R-W-P, on Flickr

Boots by R-W-P, on Flickr

Zebra Crossing by R-W-P, on Flickr

Assassin

Wanchai Market by R-W-P, on Flickr

JuanChai fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Aug 10, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JuanChai
Mar 3, 2007
The Chairman of the Bawd
Thanks for the comments! I am in two minds about the borders. I don't usually like using them, but I was trying to achieve what plasmoduck said above. In terms of lenses, I just use the Nikkor 50mm F/1.8 and a 30mm Sigma F/1.4. I want to do more with the latter but you need to be much closer to the subject which can be a challenge.

JuanChai
Mar 3, 2007
The Chairman of the Bawd

East Lake posted:

I liked the cool (color balance) they had in Chungking Express on the streets, or under fluorescent lighting. I think Christopher Doyle was trying to give people the feeling that they were actually there observing these characters.

The one thing that's difficult to translate is the continuous motion of the camera. They may have been using moderate telephoto lenses for some of the street shots, maybe 90mm or so range on full frame, it felt like they were spying from a distance in a few, and even when they were closer many scenes were deliberately composed to have an object in the foreground or on the edges to give the person watching a sense for the point they are looking from. The last five screens above all have that element.

I thought it was cool how the composition would wander around from the moving camera but the quality and mood of the image itself hardly faltered, you still felt like you were there.

I have always loved the cinematography in Chungking Express. I remember a friend had a postcard of a photo of Faye Wong taken from the movie which I used to stare at for ages. Interesting point you make about the scenes having objects in the foreground adding to the almost voyeuristic feeling. I think I will try that technique more often.

Sevn posted:

You make me want to get out and shoot the night markets here in Taiwan much more. Your style is great.

This is all I've got, and I am not too happy with it. 20mm was too wide, and 35 was too long for the spot I wanted to take a picture from :( Guess I should use my feet next time lol.

Thanks! That's made my day. Taiwan looks like an interesting place to shoot. There are plenty of night markets there right? I almost always use my prime 30mm or 50mm lenses so I have to zoom with my feet. Looking forward to seeing some more photos from you. I just added you as a contact on Flickr.

JuanChai fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Aug 16, 2011

JuanChai
Mar 3, 2007
The Chairman of the Bawd

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Just the first two? (The last one I shot from the side because I didn't want to stand in the way of the procession.) I don't think the first one would have worked from the front as well, but yeah, I do wish I could have gotten the kid on the suitcase from the front. Would have been an awesome close-up (the phone has a pretty wide angle lens on it).

There's a law here in Japan about not taking (recognizable) photos of students at school and posting them online, otherwise I'd have some cool ones from Sports and Culture day to share. I'm not sure how that works as far as random kids on the street, I would guess it's open season, but I tend to err on the side of caution.

Developing countries are another thing entirely; people don't have the same concerns and a lot of the time kids will ham it up for the camera and crowd around to see the picture on the LCD. One of the majorly annoying little things about the NEX is it isn't PictBridge compatible, I'd love to be able to hook up my little battery-powered Wasabi and make business card sized prints for them to keep.

edit: Cambodia

Girl by ethics_gradient, on Flickr

Cambodian Gothic by ethics_gradient, on Flickr

I really like these! Myself and a friend were actually planning a trip to in that part of the world next year. A friend of a friend runs an orphanage and shelter for abandoned children near the Thai/Cambodia/Laos border. We were planning on volunteering for a month whilst using the opportunity to take photographs with a view to creating a book to sell here in Hong Kong, of which all the proceeds would go back to the orphanage. It would be great if one of my plans would come to fruition!

JuanChai
Mar 3, 2007
The Chairman of the Bawd

Sevn posted:

He is on the street (sidewalk), that counts, right?

Explanation required...?

JuanChai
Mar 3, 2007
The Chairman of the Bawd
Cross-posting from the snapshot a day thread. Soz. Trying to achieve a kind of 70's Hong Kong cinematic style with these...

gathering by R-W-P (Hong Kong), on Flickr

metal by R-W-P (Hong Kong), on Flickr

bags by R-W-P (Hong Kong), on Flickr

More here

http://www.flickr.com/photos/48817379@N03/

JuanChai
Mar 3, 2007
The Chairman of the Bawd

Martytoof posted:

These are /amazing/. Can I ask you what post-treatment you gave them? The look is particularly pleasing to me, and something I've been trying to do myself.

Sure! I did them on my work comp though, so I will let you know once I am back in the office.

JuanChai
Mar 3, 2007
The Chairman of the Bawd
I'm quite keen on the hip-shot NYC photos above. They are very evocative of what I imagine New York City living to be like.

I'm putting a series of street portraits together that I feel sum up a cross-section of Hong Kong life.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/48817379@N03/sets/72157629284710532/

JuanChai
Mar 3, 2007
The Chairman of the Bawd
Some more of my 'Faces of Hong Kong' series...

Faces of HK: The Optimist by R-W-P (Rupert in HK), on Flickr

Faces of HK: The Shopaholic by R-W-P (Rupert in HK), on Flickr

Faces of HK: The Worrier by R-W-P (Rupert in HK), on Flickr

Faces of HK: The Rebel by R-W-P (Rupert in HK), on Flickr

Faces of HK: The Drifter by R-W-P (Rupert in HK), on Flickr

More...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/48817379@N03/

JuanChai
Mar 3, 2007
The Chairman of the Bawd

Sevn posted:

I like what you are doing with this, and I have thought a lot about doing something similar with Taiwan. It makes an interesting series, but it looks to me like you are cranking up the saturation a little. Am I wrong about that?

Yes, on a number of the pictures I have cranked up the vibrance quite a lot. The reason for doing so is that when I reflect on how the atmosphere was at the time I always think of the street and everyone in it being bathed in a strong multi-coloured neon glow. With this in mind I want to make the photos more evocative of how I remember rather than being completely faithful to the original photo. Also, after two months of living under the grey blanket that has been the Hong Kong sky, I'm keen to inject some vibrancy into my pictures! Looking forward to more of your TW pictures.

I'm very fond of this one. I love the way the texture in her top has come out...

hkfaces_23 by R-W-P (Rupert in HK), on Flickr

JuanChai
Mar 3, 2007
The Chairman of the Bawd
Wonderful series of photos, Clown! Pretty inspiring stuff really. When I am done with my 100 faces of HK theme I plan to go from doing close-ups to some wide angle street stuff. On the subject, here are a few more of my faces project. Twenty left to go...

The rest here http://www.flickr.com/photos/48817379@N03/

The Face of Hong Kong #70 by R-W-P (Rupert in HK), on Flickr

The Face of Hong Kong #75 by R-W-P (Rupert in HK), on Flickr

The Face of Hong Kong #56 by R-W-P (Rupert in HK), on Flickr

The Face of Hong Kong #65 by R-W-P (Rupert in HK), on Flickr

The Face of Hong Kong #61 by R-W-P (Rupert in HK), on Flickr

JuanChai fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Apr 24, 2012

JuanChai
Mar 3, 2007
The Chairman of the Bawd

ek posted:

Wow, fantastic! I love both the project itself and the feeling that your photos convey - they evoke memories from my visits there back in 2001 too - of such a vibrant place filled with a diverse range of people.

Thanks! I'm really glad that the photos brought back memories of your visit. That really became my objective for the project. My goal was to try and convey the atmosphere of life on the streets of Hong Kong whilst filling the frame with the main subject, the people. I tried to do this by using colour from the neon, which is so evocative of HK and, in a number of the shots, some very deep backgrounds in order to capture some familiar shapes (taxis, signs, etc.)whilst maintaining the narrow focal depth to try and isolate the subject as much as possible. I have never been very keen on photographing people, but this experience totally changed that - I really enjoyed every moment. The experience gave me a much better understanding of hwo to balance speed and ISO and I was surprised how much I got into thinking about colour, as in the past I have always liked to make the colours in my pictures quite withdrawn.

Anyway, here are the final results. Looking forward to starting a new project!

The Face of Hong Kong by R-W-P (Rupert in HK), on Flickr

JuanChai
Mar 3, 2007
The Chairman of the Bawd

krackmonkey posted:

This is terribly awesome. I love how vibrant and full of life you've made everyone look. Really super work. I am inspired by your commitment and undertaking.

Wyeth posted:

Great project that you also managed to, as most of us rarely do, finish. Love the sense of life, you can smell the street. Nice work!

Thanks for the valued comments! I rarely see anything through, so I was happy to get this under the belt. It's definitely given me motivation to get stuck in to a new project. After some some indecisiveness and creative block I think I have found an channel I want to explore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JuanChai
Mar 3, 2007
The Chairman of the Bawd

This is really engaging! Lots of connotations, not all of them good.