Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

Spent the day going through the thread and I'm really amazed at all the talent here, especially since I can pick at your brains.

Do you guys carry your camera with you everywhere you go? Or do you specifically grab your camera and go out with the explicit purpose of getting photographs? I couldn't imagine carrying around my clunky DSLR everywhere but I'm sure it wouldn't be that big of a deal if I got used it, especially since the 550D is super light.

I also watched the street documentary Leica commerical but I find this hour long documentary about Joel Meyerowitz much more informative. Plus, it's from 1981!

Joel Meyerowitz 1981 Street Photography Program

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

Sevn posted:

And after that cross over, people you know will look at you strange when you are not carrying your camera with you.
I think the strangest part will be when my friends start asking me what the hell I'm doing with a camera all of a sudden.

"Street photography, man. All about the streets *click* Sorry bro, had to capture that look of bewilderment. Here's a business card with my flickr address on it check in about 2 weeks"

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

So I was inspired to try my hand at street photography, while waiting at a car dealership.

Sales Tactic. That lens flare is really distracting.

Get On. I took this shot because she was completely zoned out and reading this novel. She was also wearing these really colorful socks but I can't seem to get the white balance right and I didn't want to do selective coloring, so I chose to go with B&W, at least until I solidify my basics.

Body Language. I just found the interaction between the salespeople and customers interesting. Nothing too special. I have a feeling I will develop a better eye for interesting pictures versus pictures of people standing around as I do this more and more. Currently I'm having a hard time telling the difference.

News. I felt pretty uncomfortable with taking this one.

What is camera. I know this picture's exposure is off the charts bad but I liked this dog's expression too much to get rid of it. Maybe I could crop out the owner's head and put the emphasis on the dog?

None of the subject matter is very interesting, but my main purpose was to get used to taking pictures of people, as well as start playing around with processing. Any feedback, especially in terms of composition and cropping would be greatly appreciated. Consider me hooked! I can't wait to go out with my camera and play "tourist" again. Upon giving a second glance it appears all of my pictures are slightly underexposed. Am I on the right track?

Bioshuffle fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jan 12, 2012

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

Sevn posted:

It's a great start, I would say, but it seems like you are cropping a little too tight. Also, why are all of the pictures in black and white? I noticed you said the picture of the lady is B&W because you can't fix the WB, but what about the others?

Thanks! I think the cropping is due to my lack of attention to proper framing when initially taking the picture. All the pictures are in black and white because I just found various faults with the colors and I prefer the look of grainy black and white shots. Then again, without the fundamentals like composition, I don't think any amount of graininess can cover up a lovely picture. In the interest of learning to become better at this, I hope you guys won't mind if I upload the originals here, since it's a slow thread anyway.

Maybe this one isn't as bad as I thought in color, but initially I thought the cars in the background was too distracting. Although that would make sense, since this is a car dealership.

Hmmm.

This one just seems boring in retrospect. I guess it's just a snap shot of people standing around. Nothing compelling going on.

This one's not too bad in color.

Waaaay too underexposed. The bright background really threw me off. I don't know what I was thinking, but turning it to B&W and playing with the levels made it semi-salvageable.

After looking at these I feel like I should hold off on the film camera idea until I get my basics down on digital first.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

Martytoof posted:

On the other hand, I bet you'd be able to recover that dog photo much more easily on film.
That and I know I would be lot more reluctant to press the shutter. I'm dangerously close to picking up a Yashica T4 Super D. I'm just trying to decide if I want to get that or the 50mm 1.8 prime first. I found a guy who wants to part with it for $60. Is that a good deal? Should I do it?

Sevn posted:

Don't worry, I think these are great for your first attempt at shooting street. You weren't in the greatest spot and you still did a good job, though you are right about the composition being a little funky. Just attribute that to the fact that you are just beginning to get your feet wet in street. I still screw my street shots up, even when I stop people and asking them to take a picture. The only difference now is that I have more confidence in screwing up :D

Edit: I took a lot of pictures on New Years Eve, but I am not happy with most of them. I am convinced drinking and photography do not go well together.

DSC_4961 by DarSevn, on Flickr
Thanks for the tips! I suppose I can't get better if I sit around the house all day so it gives me an excuse to get out and take more pictures. At least my screw ups don't cost me the way film would.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

nvm

Bioshuffle fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jan 5, 2014

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

It's funny that you bring up negative impression. I was going to get a picture of the produce section but everything was so wilted and old I didn't even bother wasting film on it. I regret that now. Just the other night, I was wandering around Walmart with my DSLR doing street portraits and no one really seemed to mind. My camera at the Randalls was an antique 35mm from 1970s. Not threatening at all.

Bioshuffle fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jan 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

Kujaroth posted:

I've heard that before, about street performers. Half the reason I spent so long shooting that guy was testing out the 50/1.8 - AF speed/accuracy mostly. Point taken though, thanks :)

For that particular image, the clone stamp tool should make quick work of the branch. There may be a better way though, I don't tend to do much PS work either - 99% of my PP is done in Lightroom.
I know shooting street musicians and street performers is looked down upon here, but I think it's more important to shoot what you find interesting. When you start restricting yourself because you're worried about cliches or critics, you're doing more harm than good. I think it's an interesting image. Are you shooting on a crop body?