Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

cheap sunglasses posted:

These days? That was their selling point when they debuted in the 80s- a lower class/more risque alternative to the other networks.

But back then they weren't catering to an audience that thinks random cutaways to full Conway Twitty performances from the 70s is hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

twistedmentat posted:

But back then they weren't catering to an audience that thinks random cutaways to full Conway Twitty performances from the 70s is hilarious.

I hate to admit it but I thought that was funny until I realized that they were going to play the full performance, also isn't pretty much all of TV aimed at the lowest common denominator now? I mean look at poo poo explode shows are all over the place.

Now I gotta go wreck Hanks sissy shack.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Hogarth Hughes posted:

Dale Gribble is one of the best characters in all of animated TV shows.

What happens if my tee shot lands on a bird's back and he carries it out of bounds but then is attacked by a larger bird who grabs the ball and drops it in the hole? Is that still a hole in one? 'Cause that's how I'm gonna play it.

You forgot the punchline!

Hank: Dangit, Dale, it already happened once, what are the odds of it happening again?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

CommunistMojo posted:

I hate to admit it but I thought that was funny until I realized that they were going to play the full performance, also isn't pretty much all of TV aimed at the lowest common denominator now? I mean look at poo poo explode shows are all over the place.

Thing is, they did the exact same joke, but just in short form in an earlier episode.

WING-GO!!!!

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
Wingo! Sh-sh-shaa! S'go s'go s'go! Turbine! Mike & Ikes? Gotchya covered.

If you're on the fence about king of the hill but enjoy the antics of Gribble, "The Exterminator" from Season 5 is mandatory viewing.

TheRationalRedditor fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Aug 21, 2009

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse

hall n oates mom posted:

If you're on the fence about king of the hill but enjoy the antics of Gribble, "The Exterminator" from Season 5 is mandatory viewing.

That's a gribble of an idea!

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

It's amazing how Fox continually screws over Mike Judge, with this and with Idiocracy. If he does another TV show, it should be with another network.

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr

Y-Hat posted:

It's amazing how Fox continually screws over Mike Judge, with this and with Idiocracy. If he does another TV show, it should be with another network.

He just tried that.......didn't go so well.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

I didn't even know there were 2 episodes left. I thought it was canceled earlier this year and they would've shown the final episodes. It wasn't a terrible loss. The show was on a very steep decline ever since Greg Daniels left to go run The Office. That and being on the air for over 10 years.

I feel bad for not buying the DVDs. But it's the same reason I don't have any Simpsons DVDs except for the 1st season: They're on TV like 3 times a day!

To King of the Hill: The perfect show. Half-man, half-driveway.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

I'm guessing Fox might be planning on licensing out the DVDs. Of course, this assumption comes from the first and second seasons of KOTH being available as a pack for $20 at my local Wal-Mart.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

livingfruitvirus posted:

He just tried that.......didn't go so well.
Did he do it with a cable station? Of course you're not going to get as much money or viewers working for them, although the quality will definitely be higher there than on Fox.

Is he planning on doing anything after Extract?

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

I'm guessing Fox might be planning on licensing out the DVDs. Of course, this assumption comes from the first and second seasons of KOTH being available as a pack for $20 at my local Wal-Mart.
I hope so, since there's no real point in holding on to the DVD licensing rights to King of the Hill but not releasing any past season six. Other than petty spite, of course, something that probably isn't a foreign concept to Fox.

Your Proud Pal
Sep 4, 2006

Y-Hat posted:

Did he do it with a cable station? Of course you're not going to get as much money or viewers working for them, although the quality will definitely be higher there than on Fox.

Is he planning on doing anything after Extract?

I hope so, since there's no real point in holding on to the DVD licensing rights to King of the Hill but not releasing any past season six. Other than petty spite, of course, something that probably isn't a foreign concept to Fox.

He was talking about The Goode Family, which was really really average.

King of the Hill is basically my favorite show of any television show. I rewatch episodes of something like Seinfeld out of habit and because I can sit through them well enough, but rewatching King of the Hill is always a treat. If I was forced to get a television-related tattoo, it would be a king of the hill tattoo.

Something like that. I'll avenge you Peggy, Randy Travis never should have stolen your song. It always gets brought up but, I love how gracefully KotH handles having its guest stars. They almost never play themselves (Ann Richards and a few others excluded) and when they do it's not like The Simpsons where it's like HEY WE'RE GREEN DAY. WHATS UP BART. You get Jeff Goldblum as a con artist, or Brendan Fraser as David Kalaiki-Ali'i or Sydney Pollack as Grant Timble, foot fetish video maker or Snoop Dogg as white pimp Alabaster Jones and so that I don't mention every guest star the show has ever had I'll stop now.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

twistedmentat posted:

Thing is, they did the exact same joke, but just in short form in an earlier episode.

WING-GO!!!!

That's the thing about Family Guy I really barley remember an episode so I probably saw the shorter version and completely glazed over while watching it so I didn't remember.

Now if you'll excuse me I have an appointment at a new age healing center for a migraine.

Nombres
Jul 16, 2009
I remember when I was maybe seven or eight I had my uncle come over for Thanksgiving and we all watched King of the Hill. He loudly proclaimed that he once looked like Hank hill. (And he does, actually.)

I can't believe they're doing this. Now, let me preface this by saying that I grew up with the Simpsons - I actually believe that The Simpsons is my first memory of watching something on the TV. But King of the Hill goes and The Simpsons stays? You're kidding me. I watched The Simpsons religiously until I saw that goddamned Homer as an Opera Star (Because he Lays on his Back) episode and said, "That's it."

But King of the Hill? That's always made me laugh. I honestly don't think there were King of the Hill episodes I've seen where I went, "That was a terrible, terrible episode." I've said that, however, to many, many Simpsons episodes. It just goes to show you that.. well, I'll probably be banned for saying it, but I'll say it anyway.

Fox is the reason we can't have nice things.

(Note: I'm not even going to bother with a comparison to Family Guy, and replacing KOTH with a Family Guy spinoff is taking a piss on the tombstone and dancing on the grave.)

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

criscodisco posted:

Did Adult Swim buy the rights to all of the episodes in the KotH library? It seems like I've seen all of the episodes they air several times through, and I refuse to believe it's 14 seasons' worth.

THey have it, they're just jumping around for no apparent reason. :(

Nombres
Jul 16, 2009

Ozma posted:

THey have it, they're just jumping around for no apparent reason. :(

Maybe they're not allowed to air the rest of the library until the series wraps up for some reason?

Or do they own it free and clear?

Just trying to rationalize this trauma. :(

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Nombres posted:

Maybe they're not allowed to air the rest of the library until the series wraps up for some reason?

Or do they own it free and clear?

Just trying to rationalize this trauma. :(

Well they've been airing the newest season on sundays so I'd assume they're just being whimsical jerks as usual.

Nombres
Jul 16, 2009

CommunistMojo posted:

Well they've been airing the newest season on sundays so I'd assume they're just being whimsical jerks as usual.

God dammit.

I vaguely remember Adult Swim being the graveyard of great shows that were abused to hell and back by Fox, giving them a chance to resurrect themselves. They gave us back Family Guy - which, in my opinion, wasn't so terrible in its first few seasons. Am I just looking at them through rose-tinted glasses, or can we suppose that they'll give KOTH a good home?

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

Nombres posted:

God dammit.

I vaguely remember Adult Swim being the graveyard of great shows that were abused to hell and back by Fox, giving them a chance to resurrect themselves. They gave us back Family Guy - which, in my opinion, wasn't so terrible in its first few seasons. Am I just looking at them through rose-tinted glasses, or can we suppose that they'll give KOTH a good home?

Perhaps, it did also resurrect Futurama recently.

Your Proud Pal
Sep 4, 2006

I'm surprised with all the clout Seth Green has at adult swim, and their history with failed FOX shows that we haven't seen Greg the Bunny show up, even on April Fool's Day or something

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

FlyingCheese posted:

And that's also going to Fox, right? If so, that makes Adult Swim look like a shelter for shows abused by Fox. After nurturing them until they're ready to go back into the world, the show runs back to Fox where it's subjected to more pain.

That's a real :smith: metaphor, I apologize.

quote:

It always gets brought up but, I love how gracefully KotH handles having its guest stars. They almost never play themselves (Ann Richards and a few others excluded) and when they do it's not like The Simpsons where it's like HEY WE'RE GREEN DAY. WHATS UP BART. You get Jeff Goldblum as a con artist, or Brendan Fraser as David Kalaiki-Ali'i or Sydney Pollack as Grant Timble, foot fetish video maker or Snoop Dogg as white pimp Alabaster Jones and so that I don't mention every guest star the show has ever had I'll stop now.
The closest time that King of the Hill flaunted a guest star voicing himself was Willie Nelson, but even then they didn't whore him out like a typical Simpsons episode; he was actually an important part of the story.

Two of my personal favorite guest voices were Carl Reiner (of The 2,000 Year Old Man fame) as the Jewish boyfriend of Hank's mom and Brad Pitt as Boomhauer's brother.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Tonight in the 10:30 slot Adult Swim is airing one of the sadder episodes.

Where Hank wants the Cowboys to practice in Arlen and makes a video about Arlen pride. The Cowboys just send back a happy form letter and nothing happens :(

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008

McDowell posted:

Tonight in the 10:30 slot Adult Swim is airing one of the sadder episodes.

Where Hank wants the Cowboys to practice in Arlen and makes a video about Arlen pride. The Cowboys just send back a happy form letter and nothing happens :(

You know, in Wichita Falls, this button doesn't stick

Exquisite Dead Guy
Oct 27, 2007

FlyingCheese posted:

I thought that was Comedy Central, not Adult Swim. That's where the new episodes are going. Plus Futurama has been on AS for years now.

Anyway, I never watched KotH on FOX because I was like 12 when it started and the humor went completely over my head. But now that it's been on Adult Swim I've been watching it, and boy do I feel dumb for missing it. And the newer episodes sure as hell beat what The Simpsons turned into.

Plus any show that features the voice talent of Toby Huss and Fred Willard is awesome in my book.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

How could people be talking about celebrity voices on KOTH without mentioning Tom Petty as Lucky?

I wonder if it was Tom Petty or the writers who brought Lucky back as more or less a main character. He first shows up in the Season 8 episode where Kahn and Minh become rednecks as just another one of the rednecks in the group and then doesn't reappear again until halfway through season 9 when he starts dating Luanne (after showing up trying to get Kahn and Minh to be rednecks again.)

Hogarth Hughes
Apr 16, 2006

"As for me, people will be pleased to escape from me in one piece."

:black101:

Y-Hat posted:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're saying, but having your show on a major broadcast network instead of cable should net you more money and viewers. A cable network might actually stick with your show and make an effort to promote it, of course. ABC is no less stupid than FOX really, except they don't run and then cancel many shows that goons care about. Pushing Daisies. :( Screw you too ABC.

I don't think FOX treated Judge or the show too unfairly. KOTH had an extremely long run despite low popularity, no DVD releases, and zero promotion from the network. Hopefully they'll find some time in the schedule in between episodes of Celebrity Cocktease or World's Most Violentist Animals to air the remaining shows, but I'm not really too hopeful that they would.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008

bull3964 posted:

How could people be talking about celebrity voices on KOTH without mentioning Tom Petty as Lucky?

I wonder if it was Tom Petty or the writers who brought Lucky back as more or less a main character. He first shows up in the Season 8 episode where Kahn and Minh become rednecks as just another one of the rednecks in the group and then doesn't reappear again until halfway through season 9 when he starts dating Luanne (after showing up trying to get Kahn and Minh to be rednecks again.)

He's also in Big Mountain Fudgecake and thus shows up from time to time in a non dating Luanne capacity.

My favorite guest voice will probably always be Johnny Depp.

Actually, no. Its Danny Trejo as Enrique and Octavio.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Somewhere in the large expanse of episodes I never caught, I never found out why that one guy who works with Hank always calls everyone "Honey". Did he come out of the closet at some point, or is it just a weird idiosyncrasy he has?

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008

criscodisco posted:

Somewhere in the large expanse of episodes I never caught, I never found out why that one guy who works with Hank always calls everyone "Honey". Did he come out of the closet at some point, or is it just a weird idiosyncrasy he has?

I think Joe Jack is just weird. They talk a lot about his womanizing ways.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

criscodisco posted:

Joe Jack calls everybody honey so yeah, he's just weird.

BlueBayou posted:

He's also in Big Mountain Fudgecake and thus shows up from time to time in a non dating Luanne capacity.

My favorite guest voice will probably always be Johnny Depp.

Actually, no. Its Danny Trejo as Enrique and Octavio.

I would say that Trejo really "guest stars" as Enrique and Octavio because those are both regular characters. They're just not in every episode.

I think my favorite guest star was Brad Pitt because its BRAD PITT AND HE'S DOING THE BOOMHAUER VOICE.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Sigh, no more Rusty Shackleford. :smith:

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
I take it back, I love Matthew McConaughey as Rad Thibodeaux

You know what. I love all guest stars on King of the Hill.

All of them,

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

MrBigglesworth posted:

Alas, he has thrown his last POCKETSAND.

Your Proud Pal posted:

If I was forced to get a television-related tattoo, it would be a king of the hill tattoo.

There are a number of things wrong with that picture, and the fact that it contains a Peggy Hill tattoo isn't even the worst thing.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

BlueBayou posted:

For God's sake, Hank, act like an adult. And keep it down, guys, will you? I am trying to get through an article on vintage Camaros, and I've been on the same dang page for twenty minutes.

I am so glad that this episode made it to DVD. Between that and pantsing that guy at his own funeral, it was my favourite episode of King of the Hill.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

muscles like this? posted:

I think my favorite guest star was Brad Pitt because its BRAD PITT AND HE'S DOING THE BOOMHAUER VOICE.

I really don't remember this and IMDB only has him listed as Yogi Victor...

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

CommunistMojo posted:

I really don't remember this and IMDB only has him listed as Yogi Victor...

Yogi Victor was Johnny Depp? Brad Pitt played Patch Boomhauer, Boomhauer's sleezier brother who was supposed to be getting married to Boomhauer's old sweetheart.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
I thought DVDs were supposed to be liquid gold no matter how crappy or unpopular a show is. Why would they stop making them?

Oh well, the show is 14 years old. What's the average life span for a show?

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

GigaPeon posted:

I thought DVDs were supposed to be liquid gold no matter how crappy or unpopular a show is. Why would they stop making them?

Oh well, the show is 14 years old. What's the average life span for a show?

Probably around 5 or 6 seasons? King of the Hill got more than a fair shake, it's just a shame they had to end it because it's as good as ever.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

MrBigglesworth posted:

That's what they would like you to think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Your Proud Pal posted:

He was talking about The Goode Family, which was really really average.

It's was at least as good as KOTH was in its first season.

That said, I'm not surprised it was canceled. But I'm also shocked that KOTH lasted like it did, much as I like it.