Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

quote:

Of the 400 photos taken on the day the newlyweds were happy with only 22.
Are the photos in the article among the 22, or are they from the whole shoot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Cops
Apr 27, 2008
this is also why you have a good contract

SquallStrife
Jan 20, 2009

"The Goon" by Metanaut.

pwn posted:

Are the photos in the article among the 22, or are they from the whole shoot?

I shudder to think of how bad the failures were, if the published photos are among the keepers...

More linkage, with more examples: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-close-ups.html

It doesn't actually say that the examples are among the 22...

Shameful none the less.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

I have a hard time believing that there weren't any warning signs from his portfolio. Still, that sucks. I like the misspelled thank-you cards too.

Hot Cops
Apr 27, 2008
The funny thing is, with the exception of the HORRENDOUS ones, most of those are par for the course if you do a search for <Firstname Lastname> Photography in Facebook groups and fan pages

pwn
May 27, 2004

That... that wedding video... :psypop:

Did you WATCH that wedding video? Christ.

Hop Pocket
Sep 23, 2003

I love the end of the video where he fumbles the camera and, instead of editing that part out, it's simply bleeped out and the fun continues :cool:

Four Banger
Oct 29, 2008

Hot Cops posted:

The funny thing is, with the exception of the HORRENDOUS ones, most of those are par for the course if you do a search for <Firstname Lastname> Photography in Facebook groups and fan pages

Don't even start with those god drat groups.there was one I saw recently with every photo (all 250 of them, mostly of the same horse in the same field eating the same grass)were all out of focus and/or under exposed.
and there was tons of comments along the lines of "Wow! you're so amazing!" "OMG THIS PICTURE IS PURFECT!" "these r so awsome!!!1"

It pisses me off so much.

or this guy.
http://tinyurl.com/y8z8huu
gently caress. THIS. GUY.

hate hate hate hate this guy. Not only is he poo poo, and all his work is boring, everyone thinks he's a loving photography god. But anyone that's actually met the guy thinks he's a big friggin creep (a few models I know worked with him once, and he tried pressuring them into doing nude work, even after they told him they didn't want to), and every person with any idea about anything photography related can't stand the guy either.

Oh yeah, AND he charges the people 5 bucks a pop to get their picture taken, FOR HIS PROJECT.

brad industry
May 22, 2004
Weddings are pretty much the only time most people hire a professional photographer in their lives, so it doesn't surprise me that lots of them don't know how to pick someone good.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
I like that he's made over $5K minimum from his project.

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???

Four Banger posted:

or this guy.

hate hate hate hate this guy. Not only is he poo poo, and all his work is boring, everyone thinks he's a loving photography god. But anyone that's actually met the guy thinks he's a big friggin creep (a few models I know worked with him once, and he tried pressuring them into doing nude work, even after they told him they didn't want to), and every person with any idea about anything photography related can't stand the guy either.

Oh yeah, AND he charges the people 5 bucks a pop to get their picture taken, FOR HIS PROJECT.

What's up with her fat/skinny arm?
http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs244.snc1/9132_1100131557172_1643179013_279989_1976968_n.jpg

Ummm
http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs244.snc1/9132_1099468460595_1643179013_278339_4880392_n.jpg

I could take headshots of 1111 people in a year, but I guess the idea is to get 1111 suckers to give you $5!

Judging from what's on there, he should cut it down to 111 instead of 1111, and THEN he might have mostly pretty good pics... Some are good shots of faces, and others are just generic portraits or absurd poo poo, ITS 1111 FACES, STEP IT UP!!!

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Four Banger posted:

PT Barnum is posthumously patting this guy on the back

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Four Banger posted:

or this guy.

Are you kidding me, if I could get 1111 suckers to pay me five bucks apiece for a headshot I wouldn't even need to think twice.

brad industry
May 22, 2004

guidoanselmi posted:

PT Barnum is posthumously patting this guy on the back

It's kind of genius, he's basically just doing a big marketing project where people pay him for it. The real goal of it I'm sure is to have all these people hire him down the line for something else. Most of the people probably buy the CD or prints anyways.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
Yep, I'd love to do something like that. Any time I take my camera to a party and post the pictures on facebook, the number of "XXXX has set your photo as their profile picture" notifications I get makes me think that there must be some money to be made somewhere...

Four Banger
Oct 29, 2008

UserNotFound posted:

What's up with her fat/skinny arm?
http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs244.snc1/9132_1100131557172_1643179013_279989_1976968_n.jpg

Ummm
http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs244.snc1/9132_1099468460595_1643179013_278339_4880392_n.jpg

I could take headshots of 1111 people in a year, but I guess the idea is to get 1111 suckers to give you $5!

Judging from what's on there, he should cut it down to 111 instead of 1111, and THEN he might have mostly pretty good pics... Some are good shots of faces, and others are just generic portraits or absurd poo poo, ITS 1111 FACES, STEP IT UP!!!

No, he already did 111 LAST year.
http://tinyurl.com/ylklwju

gently caress him.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
Holy poo poo the video on the 7D looks absolutely stunning. I can't wait to upgrade:
http://vimeo.com/6759220

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

psylent posted:

Holy poo poo the video on the 7D looks absolutely stunning. I can't wait to upgrade:

that whole "wrapped in blanket of money" thing is for serious. It probably doesn't look anywhere close to a dslr with all those gizmos attached.

Stregone
Sep 1, 2006
Wow.
http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/nikonf4/filmbacks/index1.htm
Does that thing fit an entire bulk roll of film?

pwn
May 27, 2004

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

that whole "wrapped in blanket of money" thing is for serious. It probably doesn't look anywhere close to a dslr with all those gizmos attached.

quote:

Lenses were the Canon 50mm f1.2L, 35mm f1.4L and the 70-200mm f4L IS. I attached my Zacuto Z-finder straight to the camera, then added a prototype of the new Genus d-slr bars supporting their wide angle mattebox to prevent any excess lens flare. I shot mostly handheld using a small Redrockmicro shoulder rig at times as well as on my fantastic Miller DS-20 tripod. Audio was from a Zoom H4n feeding the camera audio directly using a custom cable from Pinknoise systems (living with AGC to speed time in the edit).
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ :suicide:

It sure would be nice to have all those nice things.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!
Canon 1200mm f/5.6L EF USM Only $120,000 - used - comes with free lens cover!

Hot Cops
Apr 27, 2008

Whitezombi posted:

autofocus motor is too noisy im not going to buy it

pwn
May 27, 2004

I had to send three of them back until I got a good one.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

Whitezombi posted:

That thing has been listed for months now. Check out http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-1200mm-f-5.6-L-USM-Lens-Review.aspx for more info. The video is really interesting.

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003
Here's a documentary on Heni Cartier-Bresson that I stumbled upon on YouTube just now. It's accompanied by some very nice Bach, too. It's in 10 parts, but here's the first:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzgLQw3oBOI

Greybone
May 25, 2003

Not the red cross.

Whitezombi posted:

The description is great:

quote:

With an angle-of- view of about 2° on a full-frame 35 mm camera, calling this lens a 'tele' is like calling King Kong a monkey.

.. custom trunk case with wheels that holds the original trunk case, and a prodigious measure of ego satisfaction.

Pack mule not included.

quazi
Apr 19, 2002

data control

psylent posted:

Nikon is :colbert: "pish-posh, we don't need to do video with an SLR."

..while Canon is all :smug: "we won't need to make camcorders anymore because of our SLRs."

pwn
May 27, 2004

Nikon has a current model in each class except pro full frame with 24p video. :smug:

On that note, when is Canon making a mid-level with video? As of right now you either have a Rebel or a 5/7D with nothing in-between. Although I guess the 7D is a de facto mid-level, so yeah. I wish I could find a rhyme or reason to model naming schema. Nikon hopping around between lower-end DXX to DXXXX, Canon stopping at 50D and going to late XD. I guess the next Nikon mid-level will be upper DXXXX? :confused:

I know this happened back in the film era too, with a lot of goofy Nikon model numbers in the 80s like N2020 and whatnot. Is there some overall pattern I'm missing or are they just making poo poo up as they go along.

pwn fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Oct 13, 2009

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
It's a shame the Nazis didn't have kodachrome:
http://saturnic.livejournal.com/174828.html

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

pwn posted:

Nikon has a current model in each class except pro full frame with 24p video. :smug:

On that note, when is Canon making a mid-level with video? As of right now you either have a Rebel or a 5/7D with nothing in-between. Although I guess the 7D is a de facto mid-level, so yeah. I wish I could find a rhyme or reason to model naming schema. Nikon hopping around between lower-end DXX to DXXXX, Canon stopping at 50D and going to late XD. I guess the next Nikon mid-level will be upper DXXXX? :confused:

I know this happened back in the film era too, with a lot of goofy Nikon model numbers in the 80s like N2020 and whatnot. Is there some overall pattern I'm missing or are they just making poo poo up as they go along.

I feel like canon are going to go with "marks" on the upper end while continue increasing the XXD and XXXD series. So, we'll see a 550D and a 60D, but a 7DmkII.

Has photography as a serious hobby ruined casually looking at pictures for everyone else? I can hardly look at facebook snapshots anymore. Also, whenever a friend links me to a babe I immediately try to guess what lighting is used and how to recreate the shot.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

psylent posted:

It's a shame the Nazis didn't have kodachrome:
http://saturnic.livejournal.com/174828.html

Tremendous faggots aside, some of these photos would have been marvellous in kodachrome. How disappointing. Look at the photo technology the Allies could have shared, Hilter, if you weren't such a douche. Just look <:mad:>

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

:trophystare:

Paragon8 posted:

Has photography as a serious hobby ruined casually looking at pictures for everyone else? I can hardly look at facebook snapshots anymore. Also, whenever a friend links me to a babe I immediately try to guess what lighting is used and how to recreate the shot.

It's ruined casually looking at pictures for me, and I'm not the one with the camera. ~*~My Husband~*~, also OP, does this. He used to avoid the makeup aisle, now he spends more time in there than I do studying the displays and reading the reflections in the model's eye to figure out the lighting setup. It's a cute trick the first few times but I don't care about the beauty dish, I just want to buy some moisturizer. :emo:

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Paragon8 posted:

Everyone does this to some degree. I commented in the general thread that "The Girls Next Door" is a great show, because each episode you get to see them setting up photo shoots. Not the naked chicks, but the gear and setups...sweet.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Paragon8 posted:

I think it has, but I never really liked facebook shots to start with. Cranking the saturation all the way up or going to grayscale does NOT turn it into an artistic picture.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

It also makes it awkward when people talk about how AWESOME this HDR/picture of a friend/selective color/picture they took is. It's especially awkward when they know you're a photographer and they're looking for approval. I have yet to find a polite way to give an honest opinion; usually I just go "eeeeeeeehh" and try to dodge the question.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

Charmmi posted:

It's ruined casually looking at pictures for me, and I'm not the one with the camera. ~*~My Husband~*~, also OP, does this. He used to avoid the makeup aisle, now he spends more time in there than I do studying the displays and reading the reflections in the model's eye to figure out the lighting setup. It's a cute trick the first few times but I don't care about the beauty dish, I just want to buy some moisturizer. :emo:

eek! my wife has found me!

Private Label
Feb 25, 2005

Encapsulate the spirit of melancholy. Easy. BOOM. A sad desk. BOOM. Sad wall. It's art. Anything is anything.

nonanone posted:

It also makes it awkward when people talk about how AWESOME this HDR/picture of a friend/selective color/picture they took is. It's especially awkward when they know you're a photographer and they're looking for approval. I have yet to find a polite way to give an honest opinion; usually I just go "eeeeeeeehh" and try to dodge the question.

Oh god so true. Especially concerning the HDR. Photography hasn't ruined the 'snapshots' for me, but more of the 'I'm trying to be artistic' photos off of facebook. Although, it makes me see how much I've progressed because I myself have quite a few pictures on facebook that I posted that were exactly what you said- looking for approval, but in reality they sucked so hard. So when someone comes to me with that question, I try and focus on the positives. v:shobon:v

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Private Label posted:

So when someone comes to me with that question, I try and focus on the positives. v:shobon:v

"Well, at least you have your health" :haw:

Nic Cage dick cage
Jun 23, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Paragon8 posted:

It hasn't ruined it for me, but sometimes it does intrude in many ways. One example is that I've found myself going through some of the movies I really like and looking at such as the lighting and cinematography differently. In fact, last night I was watching Rear Window for the first time in about twenty years and I went "Oooooooooooooo, look at the colour!" Well, I didn't do the "Oooooooooooooo" part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pwn
May 27, 2004

Watched some of Moulin Rouge for the first time in a while last night, god drat they knocked themselves out on that picture.

Apocalypse Now is a brilliant exercise in lighting. Every other frame is out of a graphic novel.