Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
I just got a job ebaying stuff on commission for an electronics recycler. have a sneak preview

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

atomicthumbs posted:

I just got a job ebaying stuff on commission for an electronics recycler. have a sneak preview

What loving monster recycles a Nikon F2?

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

8th-snype posted:

What loving monster recycles a Nikon F2?

You mean the one that's got an NPC polaroid back mashed onto it, or the two OG FTn Photomics in the middle?

(The black FTn has a motor drive and AA battery pack, but seems to be jammed, and is missing a bunch of screws + is dented + the shutter is a little bit dented but might still work. I'm going to get a repair quote before selling it for parts.)

I'm going to be selling all of those on eBay because business, but I might stick a BIN option on there and post the auctions here so you guys can jump on them ASAP. I'll post a list in the classifieds thread.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

atomicthumbs posted:

I will buy the canon g whatever at the bottom right.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Awkward Davies posted:

I will buy the canon g whatever at the bottom right.

I'm actually selling one of those, specifically a Canonet QL17 GIII. I posted pix earlier in the thread but I can post them again.

EDIT: The buy/sell thread I mean.

SoundMonkey fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Feb 8, 2014

East Lake
Sep 13, 2007

Don't forget Katrina bros.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/02/21/then-and-now-photos-black-history-month_n_4826565.html

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I don't feel like I'm in a rut as far as my photography goes, but I was struck by the idea I might be when I uploaded some photos for a contest. I'm going to a conference (European Geophysical Union, Vienna) in April and the organizers are running a photo contest; grand prize is free registration at next year's meeting and the next three prizes are choices from their library (we're all a bunch of geology nerds, I think).

Anyway, when I finished sorting out the submission process I was taken to the main page of the photo site for the society: http://imaggeo.egu.eu/newest/ (here I've sorted it by newest)

My images - I'm Martin Brummell IRL - don't look to me at all out of place there. I wasn't expecting to be either "better" or "worse" than my colleagues, but I kind of went in without any real expectations. I've been thinking about how my photos apparently blend right in probably means I've hit some kind of plateau as far as photography goes. Something like "technically competent but coasting on the opportunities afforded by interesting locations" rather than "clear signs of striving for good photos, even if results are not ideal" which is where I kind of had thought of myself.

Maybe I'm being all E/N and whiny and arrogant or something.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

ExecuDork posted:

I don't feel like I'm in a rut as far as my photography goes, but I was struck by the idea I might be when I uploaded some photos for a contest. I'm going to a conference (European Geophysical Union, Vienna) in April and the organizers are running a photo contest; grand prize is free registration at next year's meeting and the next three prizes are choices from their library (we're all a bunch of geology nerds, I think).

Anyway, when I finished sorting out the submission process I was taken to the main page of the photo site for the society: http://imaggeo.egu.eu/newest/ (here I've sorted it by newest)

My images - I'm Martin Brummell IRL - don't look to me at all out of place there. I wasn't expecting to be either "better" or "worse" than my colleagues, but I kind of went in without any real expectations. I've been thinking about how my photos apparently blend right in probably means I've hit some kind of plateau as far as photography goes. Something like "technically competent but coasting on the opportunities afforded by interesting locations" rather than "clear signs of striving for good photos, even if results are not ideal" which is where I kind of had thought of myself.

I'm probably not the best person since I find landscape photography generally boring, but I don't know how you could "improve" your photos without going terrible HDR or ridiculous Lik style bullshit. It really seems like landscape photos are more about how interesting the location is than being a compelling photo in itself.

Like god look at the one titled Artists Pallet Yellowstone. It's one of the few more "creative" photos and it looks like vomit.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Hahah I was browsing tumblr and stumbled upon one of my photos, cropped, that has 6500+ notes, un-credited.
http://blindedbohemian.tumblr.com/post/65090507104

I'm not even mad :getin:

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

ExecuDork posted:

It's very easy to show up at sunrise, set the camera to f/16, bracket a couple shots and pack up until sunset. I know because this is basically all I did when I got into photography and it got very boring very fast. Try to shoot reactively, there's photos everywhere and while traveling is awesome and you should do it as much as possible, it shouldn't be a requirement for a good photograph. Ask yourself what photographs move you, why they move you and what you can do to make ones that make you feel that way.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Santa is strapped posted:

Hahah I was browsing tumblr and stumbled upon one of my photos, cropped, that has 6500+ notes, un-credited.

No attribution? Tumblr :sigh:

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

ExecuDork posted:

Locations are nice, but I think there is a good way to improve. It is a kind of a rule of thirds, but in regard to depth. Have a front, middle and back. Often landscape people have the last two. Often street people have the first two. If you can get all three then you have a start of a good picture.

Put some nice foregrounds into this and you are golden.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

I'm really sure they B&W'd one of my shots and didn't attribute it, I was a jerk and made them take it down.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Spedman posted:

I'm really sure they B&W'd one of my shots and didn't attribute it, I was a jerk and made them take it down.

How did you go about taking it down?

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
They've got a super easy web form to fill out for copyright infringement, just do a quick google search for it.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Thanks for the responses folks, some good ideas for me to chew on when I should be working.

Speaking of "should be working", I'm browsing the academic job advertisements and stumbled across this:
Technical Assistant - Photography

The University of East London is looking for somebody to be their technical support in their photography program - from the description, it looks like anybody with some experience of film developing and digital post-processing (i.e. a number of the Dorkroom regulars) could be qualified.

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

looking down at the world
http://www.darkwake.com/

I'm outraged. Rah rah rah.

I printed out my folio. It's sexy.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Helmacron posted:

http://www.darkwake.com/

I'm outraged. Rah rah rah.

http://help.squarespace.com/guides/copyright-complaint-policy

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Still Standing, a look at some lonely houses standing isolated in Chicago's outskirts due to development and economic weirdness.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

ExecuDork posted:

Still Standing, a look at some lonely houses standing isolated in Chicago's outskirts due to development and economic weirdness.

More from David Schalliol

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
If you're at all interested, see the Vivian Maier documentary.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Awkward Davies posted:

If you're at all interested, see the Vivian Maier documentary.

I mean, it wasn't a good documentary, but the things you learn, holy poo poo.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Why wasn't it good? I've heard similar things, and it's playing in my city; I thought about checking it out (like everyone else, I like Vivian's story).

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Why wasn't it good? I've heard similar things, and it's playing in my city; I thought about checking it out (like everyone else, I like Vivian's story).

It wasn't bad, quite nice actually, but I preferred the Saul Leiter documentary. What a humble man!

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

I think it's definitely worth seeing. The story of her life and photographs is just so intriguing. I went with a bunch of friends and all went to a bar afterwards and talked through it (not because that's a thing that we do, but because we felt compelled to).

As a documentary though, it's only ok. It's made by John Maloof (who owns the photos). It doesn't feel like he's unbiased, it feels sometimes like he is selling you her work. There were stories that he didnt pursue more when it seemed like he could. There were some only okay interviews, the music is pretty bad. I think that had a third party who actually knew what they were doing, and didn't have a monetary stake in promoting the photographers work, it would have been better.

That said, her story is so nuts that it doesnt really matter that the documentary is only ok. Definitely see it.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Cool, thanks. I'll watch it.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

what do i say to the friend who got a camera 3 weeks ago and is now posting "Baby Showers! Birthday Parties! Headshots! Family/Baby Portraits! Guess what? We do them!

Email us asap: redacted

You will receive a response right away! I guarantee the cheapest rates you can find."

I genuinely want to give good advice.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Unfriend button.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

KidDynamite posted:

what do i say to the friend who got a camera 3 weeks ago and is now posting "Baby Showers! Birthday Parties! Headshots! Family/Baby Portraits! Guess what? We do them!

You will receive a response right away! I guarantee the cheapest rates you can find."

I wouldn't say anything, it's not your responsibility to prevent people from being loving idiots. Just keep silently judging them and posting about it here.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

RangerScum posted:

I wouldn't say anything, it's not your responsibility to prevent people from being loving idiots. Just keep silently judging them and posting about it here.

Just not too much because we lost the beloved terrible photographer thread because of it. :qq:

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

KidDynamite posted:

Hire them to shoot nude photos of you.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
Anybody want a dope rear end pimped out lens??!?

http://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/ele/4441240957.html

KidDynamite posted:

Nothing. Watch and laugh as their dream is crushed.

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

MrBlandAverage posted:

Anybody want a dope rear end pimped out lens??!?

http://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/ele/4441240957.html

Ken 'Da Bokeh Killah' Rockwell

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
It's happened again: I get to use my "favourite" Flickr tag, IhavethelargestcamerasoItakethegroupphotos.

I've been asked to take the pictures of the award-winners at tonight's banquet at the small-ish conference I'm attending. Because people (convo organisers) spotted me taking pictures of mountains and birds and other things that don't care if you blow the shot earlier, with my "good camera", as in "I know someone with a good camera!".

Two reasons, now, to lament not bringing an external flash on this trip. Harsh, on-axis short-range flash from my pop-up vs. huge ISO noise and weird white-balance! What a lovely choice I will make tonight!

Maybe I should come up with a new tag, IwishIwasntsuchacrappyphotog

EDIT: I didn't complain about my lenses, what a lame excuse I am!
The two lenses I have with me that can shoot at f/2.8 are my 28mm and my 105mm macro. Both are lovely, but I'm not sure which is best for shots of two people shaking hands next to a podium.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

^^^ Your competition is literal point and shoots and camera phones. Just tell them you didn't bring the equipment for indoor photography but you'll do the best you can and they'll be happy.

MrBlandAverage posted:

Nothing. Watch and laugh as their dream is crushed.

"A dream being crushed" is a strange way to refer to someone getting steady business from undercutting all of the legitimate local photographers and cratering the local market. Because that's way more often what I've seen in these situations.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

mr. mephistopheles posted:

"A dream being crushed" is a strange way to refer to someone getting steady business from undercutting all of the legitimate local photographers and cratering the local market. Because that's way more often what I've seen in these situations.

Until the work speaks for itself so much that people who give a poo poo how things look stop hiring said under-cutter and maybe even have to hire a different photographer to re-shoot things. If it never reaches that point then just leave the area because you're surrounded by human filth!

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

ExecuDork posted:

It's happened again: I get to use my "favourite" Flickr tag, IhavethelargestcamerasoItakethegroupphotos.

I've been asked to take the pictures of the award-winners at tonight's banquet at the small-ish conference I'm attending. Because people (convo organisers) spotted me taking pictures of mountains and birds and other things that don't care if you blow the shot earlier, with my "good camera", as in "I know someone with a good camera!".

Two reasons, now, to lament not bringing an external flash on this trip. Harsh, on-axis short-range flash from my pop-up vs. huge ISO noise and weird white-balance! What a lovely choice I will make tonight!

Maybe I should come up with a new tag, IwishIwasntsuchacrappyphotog

EDIT: I didn't complain about my lenses, what a lame excuse I am!
The two lenses I have with me that can shoot at f/2.8 are my 28mm and my 105mm macro. Both are lovely, but I'm not sure which is best for shots of two people shaking hands next to a podium.

I just survived a terrible photo shoot without flash, tripod and in a very dark environment. It wasn't bad from a technical point of view. (I posted that in the business thread). The lenses I had sucked too. 105 is probably too long on a crop. Try the 28mm, switch to 105 for detail work. I did a ton of work with the basic Pentax kit lens and all my best shots came from it. (Aside from the few portraits I did with my 70-210 f/4.5 zoom.)

EDIT: For the lazy, link: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2959985&pagenumber=82#post429060871

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

RangerScum posted:

Until the work speaks for itself so much that people who give a poo poo how things look stop hiring said under-cutter and maybe even have to hire a different photographer to re-shoot things. If it never reaches that point then just leave the area because you're surrounded by human filth!

Yeah, that does kind of describe Vegas pretty well.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Don't worry, everybody's dreams will be crushed in due time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

No Gravitas posted:

I just survived a terrible photo shoot without flash, tripod and in a very dark environment.

Yeah, I just saw your posts in the buisness thread. Nice work (provisional until we see some results!). I'm not being paid for this, so I didn't post there. Not quite as severe as yours - the remnants of today's daylight were coming in some windows, and the people were happy and paid some attention to me.

Pentax! Huzzah!

I ended up starting with the 105, from a nice wall-at-my-back vantage point a decent distance away from the podium, in front of the person speaking into the microphone and a little to one side. They asked me to shoot the people receiving awards and then a couple of group shots. A terrible surprise, though, was despite my nicely pre-set focus on the podium and some good exposures on some test shots, they decided to do the cheque-handouts behind a coatrack from my position, requiring a scramble to the other side and out by the buffet tables. Then I somehow managed to accidently spin the aperture down to f/9 for a few shots, but I think I got everyone covered. The group shots were much easier, I could give instructions and take plenty of quick shots to check settings and composition (no growths out of heads, I think).

Now, the rest of the night, while most of the rest of the conferencers are out listening to terrible music, I'm editing. There's no rush, these pictures are for the website and the person responsible for that has her office next door to mine - which neither of us will be back to before next week. But this case of beer is encouraging me to dive in for at least a first pass.