Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
A "wilderness area" in US legal speak is completely different from a park. Generally they have very strict rules about their use, who may enter, and all of them forbid any permanent or semi-permanent human presence in them. Wilderness areas are literally just thousands of acres of untouched wildlife and plants, used for water/air sheds and conservation of endangered nesting grounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Wilderness areas in the US are generally free (I don't know of any that charge money, but I suppose there's probably some out there). They do use a permit system to control the number of people in the area.. it's mostly to preserve the scenery.

National parks are a different beast, an absolutely absurd number of people visit them and the fees are necessary just to keep the place in order. The upside is they're pretty generous with annual passes, buy one and visit three parks and you've covered the cost right there. Anyone who lives in the western part of the US should definitely get one of those.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
I spend a lot of time on BLM land which is free. There is a parking permit process for some of the National Forest areas I go backpacking in but that cost pays for forest service people and parking lot patrol. The restricted areas are to preserve them. If you watch the ken burns doc about the park system they explain it a bit.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Musket posted:

The restricted areas are to preserve them. If you watch the ken burns doc about the park system they explain it a bit.

Restricted areas are fine. It makes no sense to allow people on them and then to ban photography, though.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

HPL posted:

Lots of provincial parks in Canada are free. It's just the snooty ones like Banff that want money.

Banff is a national park. Provincial parks are free (at least in BC, and I would assume the same for other provinces) except for camping. A park pass (usually they call it a "parking pass") are required in national parks. That pass is good for all national parks in Canada (camping once again costs more).

Edit: commercial productions require permits in both I think, not sure how this would apply to say selling prints from a photo taken in a provincial or national park.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

ExecuDork posted:

Australia's National Parks work slightly differently from those in Canada and the USA. When I was in Tasmania I got a permit (cost money, not much) that let me into all of the National Parks in Tasmania, but had nothing to do with National Parks in any other Australian state. That made them seem more like State parks, to me. How does it work in other Australian states? Can you buy a park pass that will let you in to parks in, say, South Australia and New South Wales? Or are all the mainland Australian parks free?

Tasmania is a funny one as they've got a bunch of world heritage listed parks (much like Queensland and the Great Barrier Reef) and I think they might be treated differently. But the way it usually works National parks are free to visit, but cost money to camp at as to provide some funds for campground maintenance. State parks are free to visit AND camp at, but don't tend to be the well known/popular parks. But I think as the National parks are maintained by each state and not a federal body, you can't get a nation wide pass, they all want a piece of that sweet campground fee pie.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Fart Amplifier posted:

Restricted areas are fine. It makes no sense to allow people on them and then to ban photography, though.

I agree with this. I'm very OK (enthusiastic, even) with there being areas of land that are restricted to a tiny number of visitors, in order to prevent damage to sensitive ecosystems. Photography by itself does no damage, though of course there are plenty of ways for a photographer to damage an area while taking pictures (trampling, moving objects to change the composition, etc.).

Dread Head posted:

Edit: commercial productions require permits in both I think, not sure how this would apply to say selling prints from a photo taken in a provincial or national park.
I have no idea what the relevant laws / regulations / park policies are, but I doubt Parks Canada would go after somebody selling a few prints from photos they took in National Parks. Making a few thousand calendars and selling those might be a different story, but presumably there's a reasonable or semi-reasonable permit process. I know researchers who want to work in NPs have to apply for a research permit, which is a straightforward process involving a short written proposal and a justification for why this research has to happen in a particular park; non-destructive research - which can include photography - is more likely to be approved than something that requires more extensive sample collection, but both types can get approval.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
So the Whistler website has this on their front page and is using it for promotions:

And the stars are going the wrong way. The more I see it the more it messes with my brain, plus I find it hard to believe that the photographer found it easier to find an image of stars going backwards than normal stars, and I HATE IT AND IT MAKES ME ANGRY

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

HookShot posted:

So the Whistler website has this on their front page and is using it for promotions:

And the stars are going the wrong way. The more I see it the more it messes with my brain, plus I find it hard to believe that the photographer found it easier to find an image of stars going backwards than normal stars, and I HATE IT AND IT MAKES ME ANGRY

don't be so angry man

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!
It's actually correct; that shot is looking East, so the stars would be rising.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

TheLastManStanding posted:

It's actually correct; that shot is looking East, so the stars would be rising.

I've been to that same spot, it's not really east, it's basically north.

But I think I feel a bit like an idiot right about now...

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
got my second night vision camera (this one works). here's a lovely (shot with my Nexus 4) preview of things to come:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oynY2563ig4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZ3rV8dQ4So

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Pfffft. I don't see ANY dolls made of twisted-together twigs AT ALL. Yer not doin' it right.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

atomicthumbs posted:

got my second night vision camera (this one works). here's a lovely (shot with my Nexus 4) preview of things to come:

Do you happen to live in Silent Hill?

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

No Gravitas posted:

Do you happen to live in Silent Hill?

Well, not yet.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

IR get.

holding a Cokin IR filter up to the lens is not the best method. gotta find some cheap IR-pass filters. this thing could probably still work with something lower than the 720mm filter I used for this.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hlo_aQNFkU

:catdrugs:

currently I'm researching quartz lenses and others that'd be useful for taking video through a UV bandpass filter.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Next time Trent Reznor needs a video made he's gonna be calling you up!

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Classic Keh is gone what the gently caress

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

nooooo :(

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

I've got my VHS capture rig working, and a workflow figured out: S-VHS deck > MiniDV camcorder > computer via firewire > Sony Vegas > Hybrid for h.264 and deinterlacing. DV is terrible garbage but it works as long as I don't fill my computer's microscopic SSD up.

not sure where to post these as we don't seem to have a found art thread here. create a thread or cc or phiz or something. idk.

bonus: the miniDV camcorder can get video from the intensified camera pretty well until I get a power supply/battery for my portable betacam deck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bB7ZJ7ahOy4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yoHwtDGcTw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMD-LW3Aj6I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrS7weQmhuc

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

just make a thread for it brah

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

Anyone else in/around Chicago going to this?

http://www.openhousechicago.org/

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Man_of_Teflon posted:

I didn't know about it until now, and I think I'll have to check it out for sure.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

Man_of_Teflon posted:

Wish I didn't have a loving wedding out of town on Saturday, hopefully I will have time to check something out on Sunday, looks rad!

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

This landed in my email inbox, getting promoted by 500px as looking at the work of pro-photographers:
https://500px.com/adrian_sommeling

I have no idea how to even do that to a photo, its like a modern day lovely version of Normal Rockwell.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

Spedman posted:

This landed in my email inbox, getting promoted by 500px as looking at the work of pro-photographers:
https://500px.com/adrian_sommeling

I have no idea how to even do that to a photo, its like a modern day lovely version of Normal Rockwell.

Out of the 112 images about 12 of them are actual photographs.

Pro as gently caress.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
You take a background photo, then you shoot the subject(s) doing whatever, and then you photoshop the poo poo out of everything.

They all have that weird fake feeling to me though, like super lifelike CG or something.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!
That is called being a pro.

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.
"I have no idea how to even do that to a photo"

Lucky for you he seems to be running workshops for that.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Elliotw2 posted:

You take a background photo, then you shoot the subject(s) doing whatever, and then you photoshop the poo poo out of everything.

They all have that weird fake feeling to me though, like super lifelike CG or something.

His photos very much live within the uncanny valley.

I just can't get my head around putting so much work into compositing and editing to come up with something so banal, and his concept of story telling is so literal it punches you in face.

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.
Pretty much guaranteed to be lapped up by the mainstream photograph-appreciating masses then.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm curious how that mega-sharp look got so drat popular. Is it because we've all played too much Crysis and think that's how the world should look now?

Definitely some skill using photoshop in there, I just wish the images weren't so goddamn boring. His MO seems to be "take picture of kid making wacky face and paste it into a boring photo of an exotic location I visited once."

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Clients probably love that poo poo and if you're a pro, you'll probably want to do what the clients want.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

I can't even...

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

I've noticed that style in advertisting for like the past decade. Not sure if it was originated by him or he's just aping the style, but I've always hated it and wondered what the appeal was.

8th-snype posted:

I can't even...

drat, the Sims 4 has really good graphics.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

8th-snype posted:

I can't even...

It looks like carnival ride art

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

8th-snype posted:

I can't even...

LOL at those shadows

Her legs have also been hosed up in editing as well as her left arm. He also dodge & burned his own arm to look bulkier.

KinkyJohn fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Oct 24, 2014

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
If I ever own a van I will get that airbrushed on the side of it :toxx:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

red19fire
May 26, 2010

My ex modeled for a photographer like that once. Shot with a p&s under fluorescent lights in some office. Like a month later she gets an illustration where somehow there's another model in the frame, they both have huge, ornate devil & angel wings, he photoshopped one of those weird klingon knife things into her hand, sacrificial altar in the background.

The guy said he usually shoots first then gets 'inspired' later. I wonder if I can find that photo, it's insane.

red19fire fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Oct 24, 2014