Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I decided before I clicked the link it was either going to be old barns or corn fields. I wasn't completely right, it was grain elevators and wheat (I think?) with a bunch of rusty cars, but I was in the ballpark.

Not to say they aren't nice photos, they are. But the flyover regions of NA produce some very similar scenes. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.

xzzy posted:

I decided before I clicked the link it was either going to be old barns or corn fields. I wasn't completely right, it was grain elevators and wheat (I think?) with a bunch of rusty cars, but I was in the ballpark.

Not to say they aren't nice photos, they are. But the flyover regions of NA produce some very similar scenes. :v:

Flyover USA is corn, Flyover Canada is wheat and canola. But yeah.

The rust belt in the USA has some god damned amazing abandoned residential areas though.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Helmacron posted:

If any of you come to melbourne, australia you can stay in my house. I'm like 45minute from the CBD by tram, which is pretty close. Also I'm a nurse as of two hours ago so I can look at your haemorrhoids and poo poo. Let me know!

EDIT: I don't want to look at your haemorrhoids unless they're epic. Thanks

Melbourne Tram, eh?

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

A modern take on Melbourne, cuts a little close to the bone:
http://youtu.be/PxZiae16Ry8

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Ain't nobody else gonna give a poo poo, but I finally finished scanning all the MF I shot on my roadtrip across America in 2011 (pushed through the last 18 rolls in the last two days). Most still needs to be processed, but man I am glad to get that done.

Still have 29 rolls from the last three years in Japan, and whatever else is hiding elsewhere, but I'm down from 83 known rolls of unscanned material.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Ain't nobody else gonna give a poo poo, but I finally finished scanning all the MF I shot on my roadtrip across America in 2011 (pushed through the last 18 rolls in the last two days). Most still needs to be processed, but man I am glad to get that done.

Still have 29 rolls from the last three years in Japan, and whatever else is hiding elsewhere, but I'm down from 83 known rolls of unscanned material.

Well done, I know the feeling because I just scanned 24 rolls from a recent trip.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I give a poo poo. You are an inspiration, man. I've got somewhere in the neighborhood of 50 rolls (135 and 120) in my freezer that really, REALLY need to get developed. No more excuses!

THEN I can procrastinate scanning. And editing. And uploading.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

ExecuDork posted:

I give a poo poo. You are an inspiration, man. I've got somewhere in the neighborhood of 50 rolls (135 and 120) in my freezer that really, REALLY need to get developed. No more excuses!

THEN I can procrastinate scanning. And editing. And uploading.

Aww, thanks! I just finished scanning my last roll of that Japan stuff (29 rolls in two days, think I can hear my V750 in my dreams)... or rather, the last roll I had catalogued that needed scanning.

I just cracked open my my binder/workbox thing I thought was mostly empty and found... 8 more rolls of Japan stuff still in the sleeves from the shop, and another two from that 2011 trip, just floating around on top of everything and for some mysterious reason not resleeved into Printfile pages and with everything else. Looking through it, found at least another two to three solid days of scanning grunt work.

When I had a bunch of B&W stuff to develop, I just set a quota of ~6 rolls a week that I'd do after I got home from work. I'd try and pre-load the tank the night before (kinda had to anyways, since my darkroom wasn't entirely light-tight) and leave it in the kitchen so I'd see if when I came in.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I'd try and pre-load the tank the night before (kinda had to anyways, since my darkroom wasn't entirely light-tight) and leave it in the kitchen so I'd see if when I came in.

I should do this. I don't have a darkroom, I just use a dark bag, but this is a good idea. Load before bed, develop 20 hours later.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

The most expensive photo EVER:

http://abc.net.au/news/5960644

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Aww, I was hoping it meant some photog's expensive collection of gear was destroyed by a natural disaster shortly after the photo was taken and all they could salvage was a SD card.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Spedman posted:

The most expensive photo EVER:

http://abc.net.au/news/5960644

I don't honestly believe that someone actually paid $6.5m for that. Notice that the only actual source on this is Peter Lik himself. Maybe it's some sort of weird money laundering scheme.

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012
All expensive art transactions are money laundering schemes.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
the thumbnail kinda looks like a dude farting/pissing/making GBS threads

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Yeah, my first glance told me it was an X-ray of a person with something lodged in the rectum.

I've been spending too much time in the health care stories thread. :butt:

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

ExecuDork posted:

Yeah, my first glance told me it was an X-ray of a person with something lodged in the rectum.
Same, because that deserves to be the world's most expensive photograph.

crap nerd
May 24, 2008

ExecuDork posted:

same

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Glad it's not just me. I was getting worried that I have spent too much time in the rough side of the internet.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

His work really doesn't do much for me, it's all Velvia turned up to a million, immaculate landscapes. And he really doesn't like the idea that he's going bald.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
I stumbled in to one of his galleries the best part of a decade ago, not knowing he he was. There was something seductive about brightly lit colours in a dark room. But looking at his website, it now comes across as some terrible vomit inducing HDR.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Pablo Bluth posted:

I stumbled in to one of his galleries the best part of a decade ago, not knowing he he was. There was something seductive about brightly lit colours in a dark room. But looking at his website, it now comes across as some terrible vomit inducing HDR.

Spedman posted:

His work really doesn't do much for me, it's all Velvia turned up to a million, immaculate landscapes. And he really doesn't like the idea that he's going bald.

It's happened. The Flickr Singularity.

Trey Ratcliffe probably got a boner reading that story.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Pablo Bluth posted:

same but only about 5 years ago

I remember that all of the images were super duper crazy sharp even blown up gallery size. I think I asked what kind of camera he used and they said he had a special 36MP camera. I thought the slot canyon stuff was amazing, I'd never seen slot canyon photos before. That's it that's my Peter Lik story.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
his photos look like what you'd find in the art section of wal-mart. all that's missing is faded out uplifting words in a scripty font

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

BANME.sh posted:

his photos look like what you'd find in the art section of wal-mart. all that's missing is faded out uplifting words in a scripty font

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

BANME.sh posted:

how did you find out where I buy my art

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.

BANME.sh posted:

yeah it is lovely stuff... obviously the 6.5 million thing is a blatant lie for publicity, and it worked!

In other news I sold a print at an exhibition opening last night! For $300,000.

$300

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

looking down at the world
I think it's pretty good and it's totes whatever someone wants to pay. Y'all just the hatin' haters of Haters Gonna Hate hatin'

EDIT: On that note though, I would like to be paid a large amount of money for my wares.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

MrBlandAverage posted:

I don't honestly believe that someone actually paid $6.5m for that. Notice that the only actual source on this is Peter Lik himself. Maybe it's some sort of weird money laundering scheme.

It's like that old 2 person con trick where one says a violin is worth so much, and then he tries to sell you the other one at a high price because it might be worth more.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Peter Lik is the Thomas Kinkade of photography.

Except Kinkade is more of a badass because no amount of cut-off sleeves will equal pissing on Winnie the Pooh.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

BANME.sh posted:

That's spot on.

At least he's making some kind of money.

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

No way this guy sold this for that much. This ain't no Gursky.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

I'm not saying the sale was legit, I'm just saying tell me with a straight face that people haven't bought stupider poo poo for way more money.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
I saw that my local Best Buy had an X-T1 in stock so I went over there to fiddle with it since I've been itching to seen what the EVF looks like. Apparently my Best Buy has totally redone their camera section such that it contains cameras and lenses beyond the typical big box store fare. I didn't have time to thoroughly take stock of what they've got but I saw a case of just about every modern Nikon lens up to the 80-400 I believe. The camera section dude offered to take any lens out of the case for me to play with that I wanted (then he pulled out a 24-70 2.8, I didn't realize those things were such monsters). I was also able to check out the X-T1. Sadly, they didn't have an X100T, which is what I really wanted to play with but it is pretty awesome that they have so much stuff now.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
The last time I went to a Best Buy they had something like that for the Samsung NX3000, and then in the corner they had a Canon T3 and a NEX-3N set up on a beaten up display.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

My local ones are pretty cool about letting you bring in some camera gear to test in bags since they usually have a ton of them.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
K so which one of you is this: http://www.vice.com/read/this-event-photographers-rise-to-internet-fame-was-suspiciously-sudden-921

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Those fingerless gloves

:downs:

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

2 chains no waiting

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Last pic: "A hairless Quentin Tarantino prepares for a night on the town."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
its u

Also I'll gladly buy any dorkroomer's photos for tens of thousands of dollars provided they will buy my lovely pics at a similar price. Let's create a market in here.