Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Yess Simon, make the dorkroom proud.

http://photographsonthebrain.com/post/123114868424/south-west-simon-deadman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.

Haha thanks I was stoked to make it onto photographs on the brain.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

quote:

HK: You kind of edit as you go. In some ways you work opposite of how a lot of photographers work today.

WE: Exactly. They take too many pictures.

HK: Well, it's playing the odds, right? If you take a thousand photos-

WE: It doesn't mean that one is going to be good. That's the problem.

HK: You can take a thousand photos and they could all be terrible.

WE: Generally, that's what happens-a fundamental rotting of the idea. They woke up with the wrong idea. It's just like music: If you don't have an innate love or calling for it, then no matter how much you study or how well you can play by looking at the score, it doesn't mean that you're going to make really good music.
Harmony Korine interviews Eggleston http://www.interviewmagazine.com/art/william-eggleston/#_

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

For extra context, it's probably worth noting that Korine is a protege of Larry Clark.

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012

:eyepop:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

:catdrugs:

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

try it with a lime posted:

For extra context, it's probably worth noting that Korine is a protege of Larry Clark.

I can't imagine there's a lot of people who know who Larry Clark is but are completely unaware of who Harmony Korine is.

Korine wrote and directed Spring Breakers. Which everyone should see, especially people interested in visual art mediums. Seriously.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

:allears:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31WEBwFpULg

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

lmao

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
When I die, I want: "His camera took good photos" on my tombstone.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I bet we'll have laser etched full color options for tombstones by that point, so we can get your top rated flickr image on it as well.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

xzzy posted:

I bet we'll have laser etched full color options for tombstones by that point, so we can get your top rated flickr image on it as well.

Surely it will be 3D printing by then.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
Mine will be 5 different tombstones tonemapped onto one another

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.
I want my tombstone to have a comment section

CONGRATS!!! YOU HAVE BEEN FEATURED IN OUR GROUP *~FuNkY tOMbStOnEs & aRtIsTiC NuDeS OnLy*~ ✨💫✨💥🍟🏈😍🚀💀👻💵💫✨

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

:butt: :gas: :taco:

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
I wrote a photography-related Android app. Flickr account recommended but not required. Check it out: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.icantdescribe.flickrabbit

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
Are the members of portland photo squad also all programmers too?

I really like the idea and the app works fluidly, but it took me a second to understand that you were supposed to tap a photo every time a new set loads. I just kept refreshing for a little while.

(part of) One of my photos is in the app screenshots! :3:

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.

Geektox posted:

(part of) One of my photos is in the app screenshots! :3:

Same, def adding this to my tear sheet

(I would download and rate but I don't have a anroid telephone, sorry)

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Geektox posted:

Are the members of portland photo squad also all programmers too?

Either developers or development managers

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

I love going through other people's faves so this is perfect!

Actually my id doesn't work, I get the wrong id message. 53138490@N00 😢

Oh dang, I figured out why - my account is on moderate and requires a sign in.

Also, have you thought about reversing the long and short taps? Or allowing the user to be able to? I'd prefer if I tap once and open in flickr and long tap to load the new photos

bobmarleysghost fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jul 16, 2015

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

bobmarleysghost posted:

I love going through other people's faves so this is perfect!

Actually my id doesn't work, I get the wrong id message. 53138490@N00 😢

Oh dang, I figured out why - my account is on moderate and requires a sign in.

Also, have you thought about reversing the long and short taps? Or allowing the user to be able to? I'd prefer if I tap once and open in flickr and long tap to load the new photos

I can definitely provide the option of switching the tap behavior. I'll also be adding a real sign in at some point soon, but implementing OAuth isn't a trivial task, unfortunately.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

I wish there was an iOS version :(

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

ansel autisms posted:

Either developers or development managers

Truly a force to be reckoned with

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

MrBlandAverage posted:

I can definitely provide the option of switching the tap behavior. I'll also be adding a real sign in at some point soon, but implementing OAuth isn't a trivial task, unfortunately.

Good stuff. Also, for me it's counter intuitive that when I get the new faves loaded it scrolls to the bottom of the newly loaded photos. What I was expecting is it scrolls down to the first newly loaded photo.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Flickr Pro is back, I think at around double the cost?

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Existing pro users get the old pricing grandfathered in for two years, which is a decent move by Yahoo.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
What makes Pro worth it? That page doesn't do a great job of selling it.

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012
me and my best buds

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
Are you the guy with the jaw?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Is that the cast for the photographer version of Lone Survivor?

red19fire
May 26, 2010

xzzy posted:

Is that the cast for the photographer version of Lone Survivor?

It's for a movie called Bang-Bang Club. Taylor Kitch plays Kevin Carter, who won 2 pulitzers for his coverage of apartheid in the late 80's/early 90's and killed himself because of people's criticism of his famous photo of the vulture with the starving child.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Spedman posted:

Existing pro users get the old pricing grandfathered in for two years, which is a decent move by Yahoo.

Yeah, I am gonna let it auto-renew for another two years since I'm grandfathered in with the old Pro account, but it implies that even grandfathered users are going to have to pay the higher rate once that two year thing expires. I'm barely using Flickr right now (slowly getting back into it*), if I'm in the same sort of situation when it comes up for renewal again I can see myself not bothering.

*Slowly uploading stuff from back catalogue, although it kinda bums me out that I can't really edit my photostream to be more chronological.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Pompous Rhombus posted:

*Slowly uploading stuff from back catalogue, although it kinda bums me out that I can't really edit my photostream to be more chronological.

It's a pain in the rear end since you have to do it one photo at a time, but you sure can! Just open the photo details from the Organizer and edit the "date posted."

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

I still upload to Flickr but I enjoy using 500px way more. The quality of the photos people post is so much better and it's fun to see how popular your photos become. I also like how there are groups now, though to be honest I haven't spent much time in them.

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

tumblr is where it is at although there are still people posting good stuff on flickr. correct me if i'm wrong but 500 px just seems to be for the hdr photography club types?

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

500px is the place to go if you want to feel like you're the worst photographer in the world.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

Haggins posted:

500px is the place to go if you want to feel like you're the worst photographer in the world.

I've heard Lightroom has a similar effect.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

Haggins posted:

I found it to be mainly full of technically perfect, immaculate, soulless crap.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Spedman posted:

I found it to be mainly full of technically perfect, immaculate, soulless crap.

It's a great example of a convergent hivemind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Yeah don't aspire to that.