Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

iSheep posted:

I'm probably gonna be posting my 6x6 shots there whenever they get back from development :shrug:

Those 6x6 shots were definitely meant to be displayed on a 5.5 inch screen, good move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
They are gonna be garbage photos either way.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

iSheep posted:

They are gonna be garbage photos either way.

Yeah I mean I'm just giving you poo poo, post em wherever you want and reap those sweet sweet Internet points.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.

Awkward Davies posted:

I also find it a little funny when people post 35mm to instagram. The journey that photo had to take to end up there.

How is it more than posting them to flickr?

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Thoogsby posted:

How is it more than posting them to flickr?

The extra step of getting them on to your phone, and then using an additional app to present them in their true aspect ratio, OR the additional step of cropping to a square aspect.
Shoot > Develop > Scan (> dust/edit) > Send to phone > Crop in 3rd party app > post to IG

As opposed to:
Shoot > post to IG

Like I said above, do what you want, it just occurred to me that the process of getting them to IG is fairly involved.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
There are 35mm shooters whose primary way of showing their images is Instagram?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Radbot posted:

I follow https://instagram.com/96integra/ because he takes pictures of old cars on 35mm.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Awkward Davies posted:

The extra step of getting them on to your phone, and then using an additional app to present them in their true aspect ratio, OR the additional step of cropping to a square aspect.
Shoot > Develop > Scan (> dust/edit) > Send to phone > Crop in 3rd party app > post to IG

As opposed to:
Shoot > post to IG

Like I said above, do what you want, it just occurred to me that the process of getting them to IG is fairly involved.

Or they just use something like this: http://microsites.lomography.com/smartphone-scanner/

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

If you do this please kill you are self.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Radbot posted:

Yeah a fair number of them now that I think about it. Daniel Arnold and that lot do it. Thomas Prior def does it, tho he seems to shoot primarily 120.

I guess it makes sense as a publishing platform, somewhat.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Awkward Davies posted:

Get a Robot and shoot 24mm squares. 50 exposures to a roll!

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Pukestain Pal posted:

A photo doesn't have to be an exact representation of the scene to be good.

No poo poo dude. But there's a difference between the person who took a photo deciding to throw a tone filter over it and someone else doing it after being delivered a finalized product.

Are the people saying it's no big deal to alter someone's art the same people who raged about Richard Prince basically doing that a while back? Or is it different because he didn't alter the images, just the way they were displayed? Does artistic vision and intent matter to any degree or is it irrelevant? If a gallery accepted your work for an exhibition and then did something like alter the contrast or colors of them somehow because they thought it looked better, would that be okay? If it wouldn't, why is it okay for someone to do that on social media? Why should the level of respect you have for your work be dependent on the audience?

Again, I don't think it's anything worth getting upset about myself, but I respect people who value their work to that degree and I wouldn't think they were stupid for caring that much.

mr. mephistopheles fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Aug 22, 2015

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
I don't like someone putting a filter on their images, but the Richard Prince thing had nothing to do with alteration and everything to do with claims of authorship. If 'work' is delivered to a client, then there may or may not be a transfer of ownership for how things are used. I can't speak to the specific contract here, but there are pretty different things.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

365 Nog Hogger posted:

I don't like someone putting a filter on their images, but the Richard Prince thing had nothing to do with alteration and everything to do with claims of authorship. If 'work' is delivered to a client, then there may or may not be a transfer of ownership for how things are used. I can't speak to the specific contract here, but there are pretty different things.

I would like to take this opportunity to say for the record that I think Richard Prince is piss garbage and terrible, thank you for your time.

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.

8th-snype posted:

I would like to take this opportunity to say for the record that I think Richard Prince is piss garbage and terrible, thank you for your time.

*prints out this post and sells in for $100k*

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

feigning interest posted:

*prints out this post and sells in for $100k*

You got robbed son

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
When I deliver portraits or wedding images to clients, their license (and their contract) explicitly says they aren't allowed to alter the images beyond cropping. I even go over that with them (nicely, because I'm not a petulant child). It's because I don't want a lovely filter or HDR tonemap or whatever the gently caress done to my images, and then people see them online and think that's how I delivered them.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

dakana posted:

When I deliver portraits or wedding images to clients, their license (and their contract) explicitly says they aren't allowed to alter the images beyond cropping. I even go over that with them (nicely, because I'm not a petulant child). It's because I don't want a lovely filter or HDR tonemap or whatever the gently caress done to my images, and then people see them online and think that's how I delivered them.

Fine, but are you actively enforcing it? Are you stalking their personal Facebook pages and Instagram? It's just going to inevitably happen. Sucks, but what are you going to do.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

Pukestain Pal posted:

Fine, but are you actively enforcing it? Are you stalking their personal Facebook pages and Instagram? It's just going to inevitably happen. Sucks, but what are you going to do.

I won't stalk, but I make sure to be proactive by explaining it upfront during the consultation. If I saw it, yeah, I'd ask them to take it down. It hasn't happened yet though.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Isn't showing what your work is about the point of your portfolio ? Do you watermark the pictures you deliver to clients ?

I'd kinda expect to own the pictures I paid for and do whatever the gently caress I want with them.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Well then you would hire a photographer willing to sell you a license to do that.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

crap nerd posted:

How do you guys feel about revisiting older photos and making changes to them or just getting rid of them?

I don't post too often to flickr so you don't have to go too far back to find absolute rubbish and, while the stuff is cringe-worthy, at least it kinda makes me feel like I am getting less poo poo. I was looking at my feed and saw this photo and quickly redid the post processing. It's only a quick job to replace the hideous vibrance-sliders-to-11 job I had done before.

Obviously, I'm a hobbyist taking photos for myself and it's a different story if you have clients looking through your photo feeds.

It's your body of work, and your hobby, why should you be forced to keep stuff you no longer like/want different.

Maybe keep a copy so you can see yourself progress if you are into that.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006

unpacked robinhood posted:

Isn't showing what your work is about the point of your portfolio ? Do you watermark the pictures you deliver to clients ?

I'd kinda expect to own the pictures I paid for and do whatever the gently caress I want with them.

Most people that come in for their first consultation do so because they saw my work online first - often from their friends' Facebook pages. My portfolio by that point is just icing on the cake.

I don't watermark, but most of my clients tag me and my business in their posts. Also, my metadata setup defaults to putting my website url in the photo description on Facebook.

And yeah, you'd need to seek out that kind of license. I retain the copyright to the photos I deliver; I grant a permanent license for personal use - they can copy, share, print, perpetuate, etc however they'd like. They can't, however, make money off of them by entering them in contests, selling them to stock or ad agencies, licensing them to a magazine, etc.

It's pretty standard practice in the industry. Wedding clients are paying for personal use wedding photos.

dakana fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Aug 23, 2015

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
I've moved into the SFAI residence hall. There's a film lab that does E6 a fifteen minute walk away from me. :aaaaa:

e: it's cramped and smells like fixer in there

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

atomicthumbs posted:

e: it's cramped and smells like fixer in there

Sounds like my bathroom.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

unpacked robinhood posted:

You don't own the right to do what ever you want with a photo just because you paid for it.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

8th-snype posted:

You don't own the right to do what ever you want with a photo just because you paid for it.

Unless that was in the licencing agreement you signed.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Dread Head posted:

Unless that was in the licencing agreement you signed.

True, but in that particular case we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

8th-snype posted:

In Canada until like a year or two ago you did. If someone commissioned photos they had full rights by default unless the agreement stated otherwise.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Fart Amplifier posted:

In Canada until like a year or two ago you did. If someone commissioned photos they had full rights by default unless the agreement stated otherwise.

Right, which is why your contract or modeling agreement should take local laws into account. In the US I don't have to spell out everything being copyrighted does to protect my work but ymmv anywhere else. If you aren't having people sign releases or contracts then you probably don't care if someone makes your stuff look bad after delivery.

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.
https://vimeo.com/119002441

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

not a rickroll 0/10

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Nice desaturate filter

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

shitting_in_stagram

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2Q5lnAir3k

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
His laughter at the end slays me.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

Not sure why he was only using the half-flush

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
http://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2014/08/the-war-photo-no-one-would-publish/375762/

The Atlantic ran a story about a photograph from the first Gulf War (1991) that, perhaps, should have been more widely printed and viewed. Emphasis added because the term "should have" is something that makes me twitch, for reasons unrelated to this article.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
https://vimeo.com/106332129