Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
:britain: goons:
Storyville : Killer Image - Shooting Robert King
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00sjdmt/Storyville_20092010_Killer_Image_Shooting_Robert_King/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

dakana posted:

After that Phorumr script broke with the new Flickr page, I got tired of manually putting in the BBCode and copying over URLs, so I wrote a new one.

Now, as a warning, I should tell you that this is horribly hacked together and may break at any moment. I do not really know JavaScript; I just pretend to and used the google extensively to look up functions.

I'd been meaning to do something similar for ages and never got around to it, so thanks. Here's a mkII version that hides the link away as an entry in the drop-down share menu.

code:
// ==UserScript==
// @name           EasyFlickrLink2
// @namespace      what
// @description    Makes it easy to link back to Flickr when posting images in forums.
// @include        [url]http://www.flickr.com/photos/*/*/*[/url]
// ==/UserScript==

if (document.getElementById("allsizes-photo") == undefined) {

var PhotoDiv = document.getElementById("photo-drag-proxy").nextSibling;

var PhotoElement = PhotoDiv.getElementsByTagName("img");

var PhotoURL = PhotoElement[0].src;

var MetaDiv = document.getElementById("share-menu-options");

LinkBoxDiv = document.createElement("li");
LinkBoxDiv.setAttribute('class','share-menu-options');

LinkBoxDiv.innerHTML = LinkBoxDiv.innerHTML + '<div class="share-menu-options-header"><span class="caret"></span> Grab the BB code</div>';
LinkBoxDiv.innerHTML = LinkBoxDiv.innerHTML + '<div class="share-menu-options-inner" id="bbcodepayload">';

LinkBoxDiv.innerHTML = LinkBoxDiv.innerHTML + '</div>';
LinkBoxDiv.innerHTML = LinkBoxDiv.innerHTML + '</li>';
MetaDiv.appendChild(LinkBoxDiv);

var MetaDiv = document.getElementById("bbcodepayload");
MetaDiv.innerHTML = "Link: <textarea class='embed-markup' rows=5 cols=\"35\">[url=" + window.location + "][img]" + PhotoURL + "[/img][/url]</textarea>";

} else {

var PhotoDiv = document.getElementById("allsizes-photo");

var PhotoElement = PhotoDiv.getElementsByTagName("img");

var PhotoURL = PhotoElement[0].src;

var SizesURL = String(window.location);

var urlcutstart = SizesURL.indexOf("/sizes/");

var PhotoPageURL = SizesURL.substring(0, urlcutstart + 1);

LinkBoxDiv = document.createElement("div");

LinkBoxDiv.innerHTML = "&nbsp;<p/>BBCode Link: <input type=\"text\" size=\"50\" value=\"[url=" + PhotoPageURL + "][img]" + PhotoURL + "[/img][/url]\">";

PhotoDiv.appendChild(LinkBoxDiv);

}/

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

It's that time of year again to get depressed about my photographic ability....

Wildlife Photographer of the Year runner ups. The winners will be revealed on the 19th.

If I took this one, I'd die a happy man.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

aliencowboy posted:

Doesn't radiation affect film as well?
Radiation was discovered when Henri Becquerel left some uranium on top of some photographic plates.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Have there been any pictures of the interface of the new XQD card format? I assume it's dropped the exposed pin design of CF, but I can't seem to find anything that confirms so.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Beastruction posted:

Oops, I was thinking "advance in a field" as in professionally
For that there's the Peter Principle ("in a hierarchy every employee tends to rise to his level of incompetence")

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've been a big fan of his since I stumbled across some of his Twilight works while I was in NY. It's good to see he has some new works due.

If you haven't seen it, he was featured on the BBC's Genius of Photography series.

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Feb 23, 2012

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

SoundMonkey posted:

Oh I know, and to hell with focus by wire forever. You do still get mechanical manual focus when you disengage the drive screw on (screw-driven) Nikon lenses though. It's not ideal since it clearly wasn't designed to be the primary way of focusing, but I imagine it could be improved if some company really wanted to.
Most Canon EF lenses have mechanical focus coupling (I think there is about two exceptions), and a few of them come with Full Time Manual which means you can do manual adjustments without having to switch to the lens to manual. I believe some Nikon lenses also have full time manual capabilities.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Where in the world? For :britain:, there's a lot to be said for the Print Space.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

To be fair, I never said low cost was one of the things that could be said about it!

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

They've just announced a budget Leica. It's only £3900.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

HPL posted:

The best thing about the new Leicas is watching the rage pour out of the Leica snobs about it.
There ws a mini outbreak of panic in the dpreview forum that it wasn't an actual rangefinder.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Segueing on to war photography....
The Syrian conflict: a war photographer's story

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

It's a bit unfair to call it flickr 2.0; for one thing the comments aren't full of people posting tastless 'As seenin group x' or 'triple gold' images.

While there are more people doing bulk dumps of substandard phtos, the popular stream is still stuffed full of the same level of photo it always had been.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Santa is strapped posted:

Yea, instead of 'triple gold' you get 'voted'. Instead of 'seen in group x' you get 'check out my stream and don't forget to vote and comment'.
But a text-only comment whoring for attention is many magnitudes less obnoxious than the masive gifs that get used by the 'as seen in group x' groups. The main difference is the voting is an integrated part of the site, you're suppost to like/vote the photos you like, so they can rank the interesting. Of course in an ideal world people wouldn't seek back-scratching, but I'll only worry if serious crap starts rising to the top. As it is, most of the feedback is just short cliches, so I tend to totally ignore the comments that aren't left on mine; something you can do because you're not being visually assaulted by tacky animated gif.

Also 'you get voted' is a theoretical concept when it comes to my photos...

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I do (delete) and don't (joined such groups). Okay, I was laying the drama on a bit thick, but flickr comments can sometimes descend in to a mess. I find the cleanness of 500px far preferable.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Musket posted:

But how will I get page views?
Exclusively photograph naked aldies.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

In recent years, I could never find any joy from entering for walls known as Jessops. I'd rather browse the local LCE or the camera section of John Lewis. Or for when I'm actually buying something expensive, I head for the Park Cameras showroom.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

He's just turned up as one of six photographers commissioned to work using Fuji X series cameras. He shot flowers. If you ask me, not interestingly so.

Both links NSFW due to photos not by Terry.
http://www.aperture.org/2013/01/photography
https://fujifilmxseries.wordpress.c...series-cameras/

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

The photo stream is very 500px-flow-come-google-plus. It's visually more pleasing but does rather kill off the ability to do a quasi-blog post.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

PREYING MANTITS posted:

Adding /?details=1 seems to sort of bring back the regular view/pages, ie: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nasa2explore/?details=1 but as far as I can tell you can't set that as default
Time to whip up a greasemonkey extension.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

mr. mephistopheles posted:

I don't know, there's such a huge disconnect between what photographers and people interested in art think is a good photo and what people who instagram the poo poo out of everything think is a good photo that it's hard to really gauge
There's also often a massive disconnect between "people interested in art" and photographers. The Art School clique who'll hang a photo of an old shoe and write two hundred words on the photo's social commentary, but turn their noses up at something like world class sports photography.

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Aug 25, 2013

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I have a roll of the original Velvia 50. I need to find something colourful to finally get me to use it. It's been at room temperature for a while, so I'm expecting some interesting colours...

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

You can buy a big lens and a zoo ticket, you can't buy talent, fieldcraft or dedication.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

MrBlandAverage posted:

I don't know anything about the quality of Icelandic photography schools, but there's plenty of examples of terrible photography from people who went to art school :sigh:
I think art school pretty much guarantees poo poo photography.

*insert photo of an odd shoe and a rusty bed frame *

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

8th-snype posted:

*insert dumb opinion from poster who doesn't seem to post much of their own work, or if they do it's so forgettable I don't recognize their name*
I don't post photos here, given this is an anonymous pseudonym. As for my previous comment, it was a bit harsh (it was intended to be more jocular than it came across). Nevertheless, there is an interesting dichotomy between the wider photographic community and the 'art school crowd'. Every so often I pop in to the Photographer's Gallery in London, which is the capitals largest gallery dedicated to photography, but all too much has a notable selective focus in what sort of photography is worthwhile.

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Dec 19, 2013

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Awkward Davies posted:

I was with your gobbledigook until here. What does this mean?
That with repeated visits, it's soon apparent that they're largely interested in 'conceptual photography with social commentary', and ignore everything else. I've no idea why I used the word 'selective' instead of narrow; that's the very sort of wankery I was criticizing.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

365 Nog Hogger posted:

You wanna show us maybe some photos to illustrate your point?
Their signature event every year is the Deutsche Börse Photography Prize, when they hand our £30k to the winner. Here's a sample of the four nominees in 2012. The guy who creates collages using other people's photos won.

They've recently opened a new, larger building, and I gather there's a better diversity. But certainly a few years ago there was a debate after Magnum photographer Chris Steele-Perkins commented “I don’t hate the Photographer’s Gallery, I just think they’re poo poo.”

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

It would be easy to make the argument that say, 'War photography changed the world, landscape and nature photography is trivia', but would the environmental movement be the same if we'd never seen the wonders of the world? I believe that all genres have their worthwhile and non-worthwhile works.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

https://onlandscape.co.uk is quite good if you're in to that genre.
https://f11magazine.com. Free, not always SFW.

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Dec 28, 2013

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

So 500px are launching a new commerical licencing marketplace, offering a wonderful and generous 30/70 split.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I stumbled in to one of his galleries the best part of a decade ago, not knowing he he was. There was something seductive about brightly lit colours in a dark room. But looking at his website, it now comes across as some terrible vomit inducing HDR.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

365 Nog Hogger posted:

Unfortunately tumblr is terrible at being a community space, it's a churn and burn of 'content'.
Maybe others have a different experience, but I have to say I've found that to be true for 500px too. The focus just seems to be single ranking number and hitting the front page of popular. It works at a platform for the cream of the crop to build an audience, it doesn't seem to foster proper two-way friendships and discussion (just "I liked your photo, can you like mine please?").

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

red19fire posted:

It's for a movie called Bang-Bang Club. Taylor Kitch plays Kevin Carter, who won 2 pulitzers for his coverage of apartheid in the late 80's/early 90's and killed himself because of people's criticism of his famous photo of the vulture with the starving child.
I haven't seen the movie, but I did find the original autobiography an engrossing read. Are there any photographer (auto)biographies that have goon approval? The only other one I have is Don McCullin's Unreasonable Behaviour, which again I would recommend.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Clear 90 minutes from your schedule...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NV-RM-Th3Uk

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

There was also this case last year when a low budget movie got a camera assistant killed. The director/producers ended up with serious jail-time.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/midnight-rider-accident-sarah-jones-death-gregg-allman-685976

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

So the butchering at Nat Geo begins...
https://nppa.org/node/72817

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Stop the presses: Sony have announced another new body. Also no new lenses.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

All it needs is a bit of selective colouring, and it'll really Pop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Pukestain Pal posted:

You also can't really *see* a raw file. Everything you are seeing is converted. It just gives you the opportunity to deal with those 1s and 0s directly.
There is a program, RawDigger, that lets you play around with analysing the raw data. But it's probably only of interest to people who think DxO are amazing.
http://www.rawdigger.com/