Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS

Knux posted:

You guys should also get a kick out of the subject matter of the actual sleeve.

ONE OF US! ONE OF US!

That is a really great tat, and I guess that's another thing film cameras are great for. Having a D3 and 1DmkIII on your arm with a CF card in between them just wouldn't have had the same impact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS

Knux posted:

Most likely gonna throw my 5dmkii on right at the top, and by that time the film strips will be turning pixelated. Still toying with the idea.

Oh well poo poo, that would be great. Maybe pixels fading to 1s and 0s?

Are you going to do another stop motion for that one as well?

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS

pwn posted:

Whenever I'm at a friend's house and I find one of my pictures looking me in the face, I too get a bit :shobon:.
Resize! Compress! OVERSHARPEN!

Facebook: Sharp photos are good, sharpening is good; therefore, slamming Sharpen up to 11 must be GREAT

Oh hell, that goes for just about any effect with a slider.

Contrast is good. CONTRAST ALL THE WAY TO THE RIGHT IS BETAR!

Brightness is good. BRIGHTNESS AT 255 IS BATTER!

Color saturation/de-saturation is good. HALF MY PIKTUR IS PURPAL!!!ONEONEONE

And just to be a dick, Lionel Lum is terrible about that. He's got some P&S that he takes to anime and comic book conventions. Shoots the same 5 poses of scantily clad girls. Then moves the contrast slider to the far right. Ta da! Suddenly he's a professional photgrapher.

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS

DanTheFryingPan posted:

You've pinpointed the entire reason for his success.

Yeah. I know. drat his scaly hide!

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS
I shot some pictures over the Halloween weekend of a girl dressed in the flight attendant costume from The Fifth Element on a corporate jet for that added "I'm on a jet" feel.

Not my best work, but there are some gems in there. Definitely a learning experience when it came to transitioning from the weak light inside the jet to the harsh arc-sodium lamps in the hangar. It made me wish my ABs had come in and blah blah blah. http://gallery.prairiesquid.com/v/onicon2009/t5e if you want to see some lovely pictures today.

ANYWAY...

After I put the gallery up the model asked if she could take a few and put them on myspace/DeviantArt/FB/etc. No problem there since these were basically loving around shots. What she posts though are pictures that are slightly cropped to remove my watermark, made contrasty as gently caress, and with her skin smoothed to that unnatural doll-like finish. On top of all that, she added some weird white cursive text with her website and a portion of my URL.

I'm still on the boarder of calling bullshit and telling her to take them down, and just letting it go.

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS
So are we now at the end-times for the digital SLR? Will the only people using them be quaint old fogeys who have to struggle with things like focus and making sure some fiddley settings are correct while the real photographers are getting 35 shots of the same cypress knee in the same amount of time?

Ahh technology.

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS

nonanone posted:

I would wear a camera helmet paired with a photo vest.

What, and be the coolest photographer ever? Fat chance buster, I'm going to wear a camera helmet, photo vest, AND one of those camera holster snugglies.

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS
They exist.

This isn't quite the one I was looking for, but it works.

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS
Alright! A Nikonos V! Those are pretty excellent cameras for above water shooting if you mount the 35mm amphibious lens. You don't have to freak out if it rains, the camera gets stuff splashed on it, or you drop it in water.

The only issue is that focusing is a little difficult.

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS

Winning the Neuman Prize for Liberating the Inner Evil in 2009, Nigel Parry's photo of Rush Limbaugh.

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS

notlodar posted:

I probably could, but I'm sorta kinda involved with someone at the moment, so it would be wrong. She also lives in another country :psyduck:

I'm not seeing the problem here.

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS

wickles posted:

Sometime I just can't tell what's serious and what isn't on the internet :smith: http://www.matt-probert.co.uk/samples.htm

How exactly is he claiming copyright on this image?

http://www.probertencyclopaedia.com...ther%201927.htm

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS

Pompous Rhombus posted:

It's unlikely that he has it, but in the case of old photos/etc that are in public domain, doing extensive restoration/processing work on them results in a new copyrighted work. At my job we do a lot of this, although it's basically given away for free for educational use anyways.

I guess that makes sense, though it looks like he photographed a picture from a newspaper or encyclopedia. I doubt that qualifies as "extensive restoration."

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS

DanTheFryingPan posted:

Street fashion photography in Helsinki. Posed full body shots.
http://www.hel-looks.com/index.php

Welcome to Finland, where the cell phones are top of the line but fashion is stuck in the 80s.

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS

Hot Cops posted:

That guy is a goddamn moron. If I didn't know the backstory I wouldn't have taken a second glance at those photos. Maybe it's because I'm more of a rally guy myself, but there's no reason for this idiot to risk his life like that. I have a lot of respect for the bullet-dodging documentary guys, but the line is drawn before standing where a race car can hit you.

Having nearly hit a spectator while in my 5A Volvo...

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS
The camera store near me is selling a Crown Graphic for $250. I'm so tempted...

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS

brad industry posted:

I spent this week moving into my friend and I's new live/work studio in an old cookie factory.

So, in addition to looking awesome, does it smell like cookies?

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS
I think you just found the perfect name for their studio.

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS

ZoCrowes posted:

I've posted on here before about the fact that my main interest in photography is underwater work.

Woo! Another dorkroomer who understands that salt water is an essential ingredient for finishing film!

Is that a Nikonos III your dad is sporting there? Also, that makes me miss J-valve tanks.

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS
Someone really should start an underwater photography thread...

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS
I have a friend who's wife is in the "If I have a more expensive camera, I will take better pictures" crowd. To her, expensive camera always ends up meaning "entry level DSLR" and she still ends up taking terrible pictures.

I have a feeling this is most entry level DSLR buyers and it used to piss me off. If you're not going to ever take the drat thing out of AUTO, why are you buying it?

Then I realized that the more people that bought DSLRs, even if they were terrible photographers who used the camera as a crutch, the more the prices on DSLRs would drop, and the more likely it was that someone would eventually fire sale price a camera I wanted on eBay or Craig's list.

So, buy on uninformed consumers! Keep thinking that it is the camera that takes the great pictures and not the photographer!

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS

brad industry posted:

I love those people, they subsidize the R&D.

If only they would buy H3's....

That's the next level isn't it? I need to start e-mailing the people I know who are like this.

"See these professional quality pictures? Do you know what kind of camera they use? Here is a link. Its called a Hasselblad. 50 megapixels. FIFTY! Think of how excellent your photos would look at FIFTY megapixels! Think of how envious all of the other soccer moms are going to be when you pull up in your Hybrid SUV and a FIFTY megapixel camera. FIFTY!

Think of all your friends and their 10.1 megapixel cameras. You could have a single camera that has as many megapixels as five of your friends. FIFTY! Plus, the name recognition on these cameras is amazing. Its like driving a Jaguar or BMW. In fact, think of this as the BMW of cameras. I'm sure that if BMW made a camera, it would look like a Hasselblad H3 and its fifty megapixels of photo perfection.

As always, when you get tired of the pictures the H3 puts out because they aren't as good as the magazine photographers, I'll give you $300 for it."

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS
I really wish DSLRs were built with with an eye toward being upgraded. Though, I would assume the sensor is a major factor in the cost, so there may not be any sort of cost savings.

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS
For someone who claims to have worked in television and on HDTV in the NINETEEN EIGHTYS he's pretty loving clueless about how digital cable works.

I wonder if he's got an onion tied to his belt. You know, it was the style at the time. In fact, I remember when I used to take the ferry to Shelbyville with K-ROCK, who in those days was called Keneith Vos Rockgrandly. Anyway, we had onions tied to our belts, because it was the style at the time, but you couldn't get nice white onions, on account of the war being on, so we had big yellow onions tied to our belts, because it was the style at the time. Back in those days, the ferry cost a nickel, which has pictures of bees on them. Give me five bees for a quarter you'd say.

Anyway, where was I?

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS
Elephant phallus hide? Better grip when wet?

The jokes just write themselves people.

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS

DaNzA posted:

Serving breakfast on your camera

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYXtvTFLCa4

Pfft, deaf kids these days and their expensive cameras and food fetishes.

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS

XTimmy posted:

You know, by rewording my post and then DELETING IT, this was more or less exactly what I was hoping to avoid :(

What? Getting poo poo for careless bigotry?

There is an easier way of doing that, and it is as simple as being more careful with your language.

Might I suggest:

"Filmshittery"

"That is so stupid"

"Your photography is unmoving and poorly composed"

The English language is wonderfully diverse and you can use all sorts of words to let others know of your disdain for something without making GBS threads all over their race, sex, sexual preference, etc.

If there aren't enough words in English for you, substitute something from another language or why not make up one of your own! s'fun! :toot:

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS
The guy that posted the time lapse of him getting several cameras was much more awesome.

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS
Finding studio space I can afford is proving to be a right pain in the rear end.

I've learned not to mention I'm looking to use the space for a photo studio. That suddenly knocks the price up a few bucks a square foot.

At this point, I may say gently caress it and use get a storage unit and use that. You'd think with all the burble about the real estate markets crashing and all the un-leased space sitting around you could find some deals, but alas.

That, or maybe I should co-op with someone. I wish Houston was a tad more friendly on that account.

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Have you tried poking around on Craigslist? I've seen one or two in my area that rent for pretty reasonable rates.

I dunno about a storage unit, you'd want one with AC and I'd think power outlets probably aren't standard on most. Check out industrial parks, maybe. We were doing a carpentry project at work and rented a unit on the edge of town for $250/month or something. It was huge, could easily fit 3-4 cars in it and had a loft area. The guy that had it before us had brought in a hot water heater and was trying to fix it up to live in, lmao.

I've been checking on Craigslist, but I may be looking in the wrong categories. I usually stick to the photographic equipment and commercial real estate threads. I've found a few entries for space that's the right size, but the price... dear sweet jesus.

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS
Yeah, that's exactly what I'm looking for. I'd like to strike that fine balance between "shady as hell" and "you can expect your car stereo to be there when you get done."

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS
:negative:

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS

torgeaux posted:

Also, we seem to be more self-aware here. Not everyone here thinks they're god's gift to photography...

Like Model Mayhem?

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS
I won't be satisfied in the ISO wars until you can shoot in pitch blackness at 1/250 f5.6 with little to no noise.

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS
What is behind the move toward video for editorial work? Do they want a short making of type video, or do they want the video footage to be a continuation of your still images?

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS
I'm 6' 4" as well, but a good portion of the people I shoot end up getting a weird high angle if I'm not careful. So, hunching over, bending at the waist a little, bending the knees a little, yeah... it sucks. I end up looking like a polio survivor when I'm shooting.

That or I just get down on one knee. That helps.

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS

fronkpies posted:

poo poo poo poo poo poo.

going to my girlfriends dads sons christening tonight and he's sprung on me an hour before that he wants me to take over picture duty while he gets up on the alter and stuff, luckily he has Pro nikons but still, im scared.

Everythings going to be ok isnt it guys?

Your girlfriend's brother's christening will be just fine. Don't drop the camera.

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

Haha, That is pretty special. With creative auto modes, soon people are gonna be all "Who knew you had to learn about F-stops..."

There is this bag of dicks photographer in California who I have a personal, deep, and abiding thing against. He goes by Lionel Lum and he's somehow managed to parlay a single good photograph in to an ego the size of a small moon.

I asked him, once, how he was setting his camera and if he knew his highlights were consistently blown out. What fstop are you using and have you tried stopping down that shutter just a bit?

The response...

"Hey, I don't need to know about shutters or fstops or any of that other bullshit, I just know that I take amazing pictures that everyone likes. Oh, and I do it with a point and shoot."

The amazing pictures he's talking about are like...

and

And according to him, this was all done on purpose, because that's what great photography is all about.

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

Cosplay. He can keep as much of that business as he wants. I've been to a couple anime conventions, but how he goes to hundreds of them, I have no idea.

Its a chore, let me tell you. And by chore, I mean I usually end up finding the over 21s and getting free alcohol in exchange for pictures.

Have you been to cons in the US? I went to Comiket in Japan once. Once. Never again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

US only, I went to Otakon in Baltimore. I was told that I was "that drunk guy" at the DDR stations. I was also remember being poo poo faced and talking to Tim Buckley at some other con somewhere.

Ahhh, ok. For some reason I've got it in my head that you live in Singapore.

And hey, at least you didn't get told that you were the guy with his hands up some 14 year old's skirt. I've met a couple of cosplay photographers that have run themselves out of business like that.