Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I went out tonight with my tripod and tried taking pictures but they were pretty much all poo poo, unlike that... Goddamn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

My new phone has a setting to save the raw image file. Whaaaaat... Is this common?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

atomicthumbs posted:

so i got into both SFAI and CCA

SFAI awarded me their $6000/semester renewable, competetive "Visionary Scholarship", and CCA awarded me their $6000/semester, renewable, maybe competetive "Faculty Honors Scholarship"

SFAI has a new media program, CCA doesn't. SFAI's photography department was founded by Ansel Adams, CCA's wasn't. Living in SF is loving Expensive, living in Oakland is just Expensive.

help what do

Why not go to SFAI but live in Oakland? Just hop on BART in the morning. It'll be easier to keep your Volvo(s?) there too.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Going to Japan at the end of the month, trying to decide if I should bring both the ME Super and the K-50.

Anyone recommend a cool camera shop in Tokyo? I harbor secret dreams of scoring a Yashica TLR on the cheap in some hidden film-mecca.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I don't have a tonne of experience camera shopping in Tokyo, but go ahead and copy/paste 古中 カメラ店 (used camera shop) + whatever area of Tokyo you'll be in into Google and see what you can find. There can be some really great deals, especially with the yen as weak as it is now.

Are you going to be going anywhere else in Japan? I've got some custom Google Maps of each region (some are really bare bones, others pretty well fleshed out) I made for a roadtrip last summer where I tried to compile a bunch of the quirky, oddball stuff I dug up from a variety of online sources. If you let me know your Gmail I can add you to them; the Tokyo one isn't amazing from a photography standpoint since I wasn't planning on spending much time there (mostly bars with unusual gimmicks), although IIRC I did put that massive underground reservoir in Saitama and the parasite museum in Meguro on there.

Technically in Tokyo: Lon Lon Rabbit and I went out to Aogashima two summers ago, unfortunately the weather wasn't super cooperative for photography (only had ~1 day due to a fully booked chopper) but it was still worth the visit. We also had a couple days poking around on nearby Hachijojima (can get there on a direct 45 minute flight from Tokyo for ~$100, or take an overnight ferry for about the same if you're feeling masochistic), which has a few abandoned bubble-era hotels that nobody's guarding too closely. Hachijo wouldn't be very good without a rental car (we even rented one on Aogashima, a peppy little turbo Move with Hello Kitty door locks that handled the steep grades with aplomb), so I probably wouldn't bother without IDP in hand, or a serious desire to bicycle up some hills.

I don't live in Japan anymore, but I'll be down in Kyushu for ~5 weeks from June-July this summer, hopefully with a car :kiddo:

Our itinerary is Tokyo->Gero->Takayama->Kyoto->Nara->Koyasan->Tokyo, plenty of moving around so if I do any camera shopping it'll probably be in Tokyo at the end so I don't have to haul it around. That tourist's rail pass... loving good deal right there.

I'll PM you my email. We'll see how much of your stuff will fly, since my wife is going too and might not be into goony camera poo poo :v:

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

rohan posted:

Shinjuku in Tokyo is probably your best bet if you're after a photography mecca. I didn't have enough time to check out the used camera shops, but there are supposed to be heaps of them around there. Make sure you get to Yodobashi near Shinjuku Stn, home of probably the world's largest film freezers. When I went to Japan last year, I went to Yodobashi toward the end of my time in Tokyo, left some rolls to be developed, stocked up on Velvia, and then picked up the rolls a week later before I flew home. I can't remember the prices, but it was much cheaper than getting it developed back home.

That looks like a good itinerary! I was pretty disillusioned by Takayama, but we went there during one of their big festivals. I think I'd have liked it a lot more if we'd gone during a quieter time of year. If you're jonesing for some American food by then, it does have the single best burger joint I've ever found. (Which we went to because, again, everywhere else was packed out, but it was a really nice surprise.)

Are you doing a temple stay in Koyasan?

Thanks for the tips! Yes, we're staying at temples in Takayama and Koyasan, and in a ryokan in Kyoto. I'll try to check out Yodobashi if I go to Shinjuku... it would be nice to get some Velvia to use on the rest of the trip, although I'm sure I'll forget to change my ISO setting

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Yeah, the Rail Pass is a fantastic bargain... you can show it to a Japanese person and watch their head explode as they read the terms. edit: added you to the Chubu/Kansai maps as well as the Kanto one.

Gero and Takayama don't wind up on a tonne of foreign tourists itinerary, good job on that! I am actually just now uploading my photos from Koyasan/Wakayama to Flickr... I did some cheeky camping at a deserted road station about 20kms out of town rather than the temple stay, which by all accounts is a pretty cool experience. That cemetery is pretty neat, also massive though, be sure to budget plenty of time.

I think I remember seeing you around in AI (lurk there every now and again), were you planning to check out Daikoku Futo when you're in Tokyo? I went with two friends on a Friday night last summer, although we left around ~9:30pm, which is before it really gets started. Still pretty cool, we were on motorbikes so it felt kinda like Akira heading out there.

Since it's an expressway parking area (and on an island, no less), getting there without a car is tricky, although I noticed a highway bus does stop there. You could otherwise cab it, although if you weren't able to hitch a ride home with somebody (would kinda depend on your Japanese/people skills) you'd probably have to call for another one to come pick you up. I can't remember the minimum toll to get there, I wanna say like ¥800? It's not terribly far from other highway entrances though, I'd be surprised if it was much over $20-25/each way, which you could split up to 4 ways.

Well, we'll see what we can do for AI kind of stuff. My wife likes cars so we might try to find an auto museum, but riding out to an expressway parking area might be a bit much for her when we could be out drinking :shobon:

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

https://frankencamera.wordpress.com/ anyone else see this? Kind of neat. (film supremacy though)

Breadnought posted:

Pham, if you're still looking for Tokyo camera shop recs, check out Japan Camera Hunter's Tokyo Shopping Guide. It was written a couple of years ago but the recommendations are still mostly valid.

Thanks!

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Radbot posted:

There are 35mm shooters whose primary way of showing their images is Instagram?

I follow https://instagram.com/96integra/ because he takes pictures of old cars on 35mm.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Dread Head posted:

National Geographic was bought by Fox (or 73% of it). RIP

Does this mean they'll stop having a bit about climate change in every single article? Cause "and what can these ancient Chilean folk songs tell us about climate change" got a little old.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Spedman posted:

It'll all be about how good coal is for humanity with pictorials of wealthy white men looking at loving huge holes in the ground.

:australia:

The second half of that sounds good, I fuckin love looking at huge holes in the ground.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Shellman posted:

You gotta post the comments too.

"The price we pay for art."

It was super close.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Dren posted:

milestones.jpg

I'm the 120% bar

Unless 120% means 12 keepers on 10 shoots, but it's more likely he just hosed up his Excel poo poo.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

huhu posted:

Ordered a point and shoot film camera on eBay and the guy just put it into a large box with no packaging whatever. A++ would purchase from again.

Amazon likes to put things in a big box with a single piece of brown packing paper, it's the most hilarious token effort ever, why even bother putting any paper in.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

Yeah Brisbane is shorts and thongs weather all year round, I'd look weird in boots and shorts :(

I don't see what the problem is, Bruce

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

elgarbo posted:

That's pretty much my wardrobe summed up.

(No, for real, I'm wearing shorts and boots right now.)

Shorts and boots (with wool socks) is a pro move in summer

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

MrBlandAverage posted:

because it made you ask that question

that means your posting, and bratwurst's posting, are also art

because they both make me ask why a just and loving god would allow either of you to exist

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

8th-snype posted:

the logical conclusion from this is that god does not love you.

given the quality of my own posting and photography, that's a certainty.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

xzzy posted:

That man is a solid argument against allowing just anyone to run a website.

Too bad google's algorithm seems unable to bury his SEO infused shilling.

I finally looked at his GROWING FAMILY page... did he buy the multiple Mercedes-Benzes from writing bad opinions or from taking bad photos? Because I can do either, especially the bad photos part.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

xzzy posted:

Depends, can you live without a shred of dignity? Will your mattress of money sufficiently shelter you from the hatred of the entire internet?

1) Can and do

2) Without dignity, I'd have no problem suffering the slings and arrows of my outrageous fortune.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Spedman posted:

Ken needs to stop force feeding his children

I always assumed "growing family" meant he was having more kids, but apparently it just means his kids are getting chubby.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I've met Whitezombi and ape. They're cool dudes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Karl Barks posted:

here's a study on what autistic people like to take photos of, highly relevant to this forum I think ;)

https://digest.bps.org.uk/2016/10/26/photos-taken-by-autistic-people-and-neurotypicals-differ-in-intriguing-ways/

Sounds like the street thread