Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
I'm going up on the hills tonight with my Mamiya 645, a roll of Fuji T64, the full moon, and no meter. Wish me luck! :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Aaaand my dad decided he wanted to come and then spent two hours not getting ready. Going tomorrow night. :argh:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Just had my first photography class today - 9-12 and then 1-4. Darkroom with tons of enlargers; I get the fancy one with the motor drive because I have a medium format camera, and all the others only have 35mm holders. I can't wait to finally learn how to develop and print stuff (can't have a darkroom at home). :D

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

The ad at the top of the page when I loaded SA was a Calumet ad for T-max. I've never even visted their site. This targeted advertising is a little creepy.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

I bought a roll of HP5+ from my local photo store and right after he checked it out, I realized that I'd forgotten to say I wanted 120. He took a look at the reciept and gave me two rolls of 120 instead :woop:

just another victory on my path to godhood

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

I HATE CARS posted:

Every time I get colour negatives developed at the local photo store they throw in a few rolls of film. They are literally just giving it away.

I'll never be a god at this rate :smith:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Any SF-based goons need to get to the Harvey Milk Photo Center on 50 Scott Street now. They're doing a garage sale; they're selling a ton of old 35mm P&S cameras and darkroom equipment for $1 a pound. I'll post this to a couple other relevant threads too.

Edit:

Don't come today, they just closed on me. They said they'll be back on Tuesday, and they think it'll take a while for this stuff to sell.

I grabbed some 35mm P&Ss and a tank and six reels (two 120 and four 35mm), a weirdass Mavica video camera (gotta find floppies), and an old Kodak 110 camera with film in it for $4.

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 01:05 on May 15, 2011

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

William T. Hornaday posted:

Anyone know what a 'Leica student' is?

A man who destroys rare items and calls it art.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

I invented glass. You can thank me later. :smug:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300563830469&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1123

quote:

A MOST UNIQUE CAMERA. PERSONALLY, USED VERY LITTLE. I HAD THE EXTERIOR LEATHER REMOVED AND REPLACED WITH SNAKESKIN AT A HIGH COST BUT THE RESULTS ARE FANTASTIC. CAMERA WORKS FINE; HAS 120 FILM HOLDER INSIDE, 80/1.9 FAST MAMIYA C LENS (NOT THE 2.8 VERSION!) AND A PRISM FINDER.

:psypop:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

yeah but why the hell would they snakeskin the focus ring

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Fragrag posted:

I don't know what compelled me to do this

this is the most beautiful thing I have ever laid eyes on

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Laff; I saw someone has 'favourited' a pic of mine from a comedy clown act, checked the others in the guy's list and they were *all* girls in clown makeup... Whatever turns your dial, I guess :o:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

I like to shoot pets myself

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

I went to the local 4th of July flea market this year and left with two new cameras!

camers by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

From left to right: Mamiya 150mm 2.8, Mamiya 80mm 2.8, Mamiya 645 with 35mm 3.5 and grip, Kodak Retina Reflex IV with Schneider-Kreuznach Retina-Xenon 50mm 1.9, Pentax Spotmatic SP with Super Takumar 55mm 1.9, and my mom's AE-1 as a guest to make my collection look bigger.

I paid $3 for the Retina Reflex, and my grandmom has a pair of lenses for an Instamatic Retina Reflex that might work with it. The selenium meter seems accurate, which is a definite plus :D

The Spotmatic was $40, with a case. I might get an Industar 50-2 for it so I can put it in my pocket.

Two questions: is the Takumar 55mm 1.8 lens a good one, and how would I go about cleaning the inner bits of the Retina Reflex? The viewfinder is really hazy (lens was fine after I cleaned it off).

Edit:

Apparently the Super Takumar 55mm is fantastic

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jul 5, 2011

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

spog posted:

How much did you pay for the Mamiya? (so I can be jealous)

my friend gave that to me six months ago, along with the 80mm and 35mm lens; the spotmatic and retina reflex are my first 35mm cameras

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

ThisQuietReverie posted:

We obviously need a #dorkroom confessions thread.

is there a dorkroom IRC channel? there should be

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

sildargod posted:

It was an original Asahi Pentax, of course. Tell him to try it and see how fast his photos rise in quality!

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

My dad had a nice camera collection, including an Argoflex that he used to take lots of photos with, but there was a roof leak :(

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

• objects
  • light
  • color

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Helmacron posted:

I accidentally took a photo of my dick on 120 film once. And I sat down, and I thought about it, and I thought about all the long exposures that were on that film, hours and hours of exposures. All the time I spent, all the effort, the slinking in the background, trying to read my book with a head torch on inside my jumper. Trying to dance around and warm myself up and not shake the camera.

Then I took the roll out, exposed and then burned it.

You can't do that on digital.

This is the right time to start learning how to develop color film in your own darkroom

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

A5H posted:

I didn't know you could spell aesthetic like that :stare: .

They're talking about photos that their grandma, Esther, would like.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Haggins posted:

It was also shot on a medium format camera which has more dynamic range.

I don't think medium format has more dynamic range than 35mm.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

He also used the last frame of Kodachrome for a picture of his feet and a motel room.

edit: this is wrong, see below

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Sep 7, 2011

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

pwn posted:

Do you have a reference for this? My understanding was he used the last frame on a statue in a cemetery in Kansas or something like that.

whoops, it was frame 34 not frame 36. I misremembered

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

RangerScum posted:

Are you a loving Clydesdale horse or something?

Photographers measure their talent in cameras carried. I've been able to get up to three before (kodak retina reflex iv, spotmatic, mamiya 645), but it was a strain

I heard Ansel Adams was able to carry ten

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

HPL posted:

I find it kind of funny that in this day and age of digital sensors, Photoshop and autofocus, people are way more offended about the whole "your camera takes good pictures" thing than they were back when taking a photo involved a pack mule, hazardous chemicals and a PhD in mathematics.

nobody used it back then because back then not everyone had a camera of their own that took lovely pictures

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Auditore posted:

Had the weirdest dream last night. Bought a Canon 5D MkII and one of those Carl Zeiss 50mm f1.4 lenses. Then I was taking photos with it but I went crazy because I realized I had to manual-focus everything at f1.4 for some reason.

and he had to manually focus on the football players with no focusing aid oooOOOooo

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

I just got back from seeing the photography exhibition at Pier 24 in San Francisco. Anyone who's near SF should book a slot (it's free) and go; the photos are all incredible. My favorite of the bunch were the original Carleton E. Watkins prints; they are absolutely beautiful.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Elite Taco posted:

I just got a 35/2. It's TINY.

I'd post my OM 50mm 1.8 but I am lazy

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

xzzy posted:

I just got done trying to photograph a sunset at the Grand Canyon, and while I'm not super dissappointed with what I got, I couldn't help but get serious gear envy at the guy next to me who had a graduated filter. Even on the preview screen I could tell his shots were making mine look like poo.

I'm gonna have to run out and buy my own filters now, aren't I? :negative:

Or a film camera and some negative film :smugbert:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Awkward Davies posted:

Sidenote: Holy crap Lightroom is much better with an extra 4 gigs of ram.

That is all.

I ordered 8 more gigs and an SSD on Black Friday. Photoshop's gonna go so fast editing my 750mb TIFFs :D

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Saint Fu posted:

Just imagine SSD + 16gb RAM :smug:

SSD + 12gb RAM is good enough for me :smuggo:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Awkward Davies posted:

Which SSD did you buy? I'm feeling empowered by replacing my own RAM and eyeing SSDs. The intel 256gb one is like 400, but I think there is a crucial one for cheaper (just not sure if I can trust it).

OCZ Agility 3 60GB when it was on sale at Newegg. I'm not gonna hold photos on it, just Photoshop's scratch disks.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Awkward Davies posted:

You rank in the first page for banana rat results on GIS. Considering the billions of searches being done, a small number must be for banana rat and a smaller number must click on your photo.

I can confirm this; one of my photos is the top Google Images result for spiral aloe.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

It may also be the fact that all the photos you see of the 70s and 80s were taken on film.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

"I can't help feeling a little pretentious calling this gallery "Landscapes", because I'd never consider myself to be in the same class as genuinely awesome photographers who call themselves landscape photographers. I'm lost for a better title, though." - Lewis Collard, potograer

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Revolucion posted:

think you are both right, looks along those lines, there is a spot for a fluorescent tube in it. INTO THE BIN

noooo that's a perfectly good lamp :<

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Augmented Dickey posted:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/68242602@N06/6842736081/in/photostream/

and suddenly my afternoon of paroozing random flickr accounts comes to an end

wonderfull bulge
very exciting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

I want a full-frame OM-mount DSLR dammit