Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.
Does the Dorkroom have a hangout on IRC?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Kodak Chapter 11 incoming!!

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203471004577140841495542810.html#ixzz1iXH9hi5R

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

http://youtu.be/dvu2QPQLlYA

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Shmoogy posted:

Of course comments are disabled. That made me laugh more than the poo poo photographers say video.

oh yeah, me too. x100

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

MAkev posted:

Sony used to provide Nikon with sensors, right? So they've got that going for them I guess

Still do and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

I like parts of this guys page. Especially the A-1 review, because I own one.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Spedman posted:

I couldn't help but think of this:

I know now why you cry.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Did you know that hello.PDF is actually a TIFF?

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Augmented Dickey posted:

I know the camera is poo poo but that pancake lens still seems pretty amazing to me..

Is it still a pancake when 3/4 of it is sticking into the camera body, thanks to the legacy k-mount nonsensically transplanted onto a mirror-less body?

Martytoof posted:

Plus the appeal of "wow I can get a ton of old lenses for cheap??" wore off pretty quickly when I realized they were pretty cheap for a reason.

You shut your whore mouth!

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

INTJ Mastermind posted:

There's some math about how for a 35mm image sensor, a 50mm prime focal length design requires the least amount of lens elements and fancy (expensive) optical tricks.

There are also economies of scale at work here. Most modern 50mm designs have been the same for decades.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Soulex posted:

I am torn guys. I love my Nikon D80 but for some reason I have a nagging urge to sell it and get a Cannon T2i. Help me.

This is a pretty cut and dry case of Gear Acquisition Syndrome. I can't fathom why you would want to do this.

The T2i is plastic and only has one control wheel. If you're gonna switch to Canon at least get something analogous to your D80.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Augmented Dickey posted:

Saw this on a clearance rack at Wal-Mart the other day. How the hell does something sit around a store for that long?

hahaha.. There is a chain of stores here in Calgary that has 35-40 year old photo equipment new in the box on the shelf. They never budge their prices.

Seriously if you want a brand new Kiev88 or M42 screwmount lense you can get one.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

cyberia posted:

... a micro four thirds camera that costs as much as a DSLR (AUD900 for just the body)

EOS-M is APS-C sized.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

my pictures must suck

i'm only getting ~60-100 hits when i post them

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

SoundMonkey posted:

I WANTED to like their system, the 35mm f/3.5 macro lens is a loving great lens for the price, but with the sorta lackluster pro-level body selection and expensive/non-existent lenses I sorta couldn't justify it :(

Putting a thumbnail sized sensor in a DSLR body is probably something that made a lot of sense on paper in 1998. Not so much now.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

I am an IT consultant.
I take pictures.
I bought a cool old bike last year.

Sup.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Something is up lately. The dorkroom is full of shitposts and YOSPOS is full of seriousposts.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Twerk array.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

I hope they left a zero off that fee.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

rcman50166 posted:

Woah, relax, it was a gear sperging joke. Would the it have been funnier if I put the Glenlivet in the shot? :rolleyes:

Edit: My first custom title :dance:.

It could have been worse. You could have used the term 'Gear Queer', and experienced the comical amount of hand wringing that ensues.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Chitin posted:

My wife has a few clients that became addicted to heroin during the Korean War. No joke.

To put that in perspective, Don Draper's white-haired, hear-attack-having boss in Mad Men served in Korea. And was a semi-old dude in Mad Men.

Don Draper served in Korea, Roger Sterling served in WW2.

:spergin:

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

this owns

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

After being away from the forums for a bit, I started with the Food Photography thread and was really happy to read through it. Then this morning I found http://petapixel.com/2013/06/08/old-video-of-comedian-louis-ck-making-fun-of-avant-garde-photography-on-mtv/ Coincidence, I think not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=?4hhCX1dWzhk

"It's good! And you're wrong! I went to college!"

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

*chart from 2006 plotting sales of OLED TVs outselling LCDs by 2009*

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Here's another slow German mirrorless, except slightly faster (f6.3).

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Helmacron is a great poster. Y'all a bunch of haters.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Didn't know where to put this, since it could go in the NEW BEST THREAD, or the mirrorless thread, or the point and shoot thread, so I'll just put it here since the thread title is already mocking Leica

Leica D-Lux 6 G-STAR RAW EDITION
http://www.freshnessmag.com/2013/06/19/g-star-raw-x-leica-d-lux-6-digital-camera/

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

SoundMonkey posted:

If the logical conclusion is probateable it's probably not a good conclusion.

I think that was casa's point but yeah

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

I don't mind reading his thoughts on whatever random lens I'm planning on buying, but god drat does he have some ugly children.

Also that was maybe the worst car review I've ever read.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

krooj posted:

Nah - you wanna discuss outrage, discuss Leica's lens pricing. What's the newest APO 50mm, ~$7k? Who in their right mind is paying that kind of money for a 50mm prime? Even their value Summarit line is a rip-off - $1700 for a 50mm f2.5... And the prices just went up.

Zeiss ought to release a full frame digital Ikon with Cosina and poo poo all over Leica.

Voigtlander sells a 35mm F1.2 Aspherical for $1200. Having a another full frame rangefinder to choose from would be awesome.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

http://www.hankboughtabus.com/

Here

The concept is better, and the photography is better.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

I hear the new aps-c GR kicks x100s levels of rear end too.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

It's being auctioned of for charity, and it's 1 of 1. It's going to be sold for crazy money to an art dude philanthropist type. Not a Leica dentist or whatever.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

That is quite the load of unfunny monkeycheese right there. :frogout:

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Nearly all those photos were taken by professional photographers using the best equipment available to them. That article made my head hurt.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

It's some sort of weird conservative parliament YouTube channel, not even a photography focused channel. I don't think any actual photographers submitted entries to that. :/

Don't hate, like 5% of the dorkroom is Albertan for some strange reason.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

And stack oil dollars

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

I only get my brain X-rays done on 8x10 sheets of velvia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

xzzy posted:

Does Moose Jaw have any of:

a) Mountains
b) Docks on the water
c) Benches
d) Trees
e) Urban decay
f) Bugs

Otherwise when people show up they won't have anything to take pictures of.

Here's a random Flickr guy who does Sask/Alberta prairie photography and is not terrible: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bonedad/