Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

xzzy posted:

There's all types out there.. the people who overvalue photography are just as infuriating.

Wife has a friend who is stunned that I put my snapshots on the internet "for free" and without watermarks. My stuff is better in some ways to standard P&S fare, but it's so far from "professional" that I roll my eyes when this lady starts gabbing about how I could be making a ton of money with my pictures.
And there are also those who ask for a bridal shoot with only a $100 budget :doh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Suicide Watch posted:

Ugh, I'm probably 1/3 through the 1500 shots I took in France. I open up Lightroom, see all the stuff I have yet to do, and just close it. How do you guys manage?
Lightroom is great for photo curation. Use the stars to run through 5 cycles of elimination and you should be able to reduce the total amount by more than 70%. Then you can get started working on them.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Elite Taco posted:

Content: I think I've decided that I want to get art board mounted prints of my work and put them in boxes for different types of portraiture and show those to clients at consults as opposed to an album. I picked up the first set of prints today and was just blown away by how much more impact images in physical form have.
That's why they say the final product of taking a photograph is a print. It just looks so much better when you're holding it in your hands.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

The amount of "photoshop" Adams did to his photos is probably more than anyone nowadays will ever do with their film or digital photos. Just reading his explanation of how he "photoshopped" Clearing Winter Storm was insane.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

QPZIL posted:

Got a link? It's still impressive that he did it all manually and it's an amazing photo.
I don't think there's any online link for it, I read about it in his book The Print. There's a very brief description of it here: http://www.antsmith.net/Articles/FIEC.htm

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

I knew somebody would make this video and it doesn't disappoint: poo poo photographers Say http://youtu.be/4a-dR2V1-0Y

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Ctein's book Post Exposure is now free for the moment: http://ctein.com/booksmpl.htm

Interesting read, even if you're not interested in optical printing from film.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

These photos of Hitler and his Nazi Germany look like they were stills taken from a movie: http://flic.kr/s/aHsju3iVA5

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

A5H posted:

Huh is that post colour or did they have colour film then?
Supposedly these photos are taken on Afgacolor Neu film, invented by German Afga in 1936 and very similar to Kodachrome as well. Hence the first time I looked at the photos I was thinking they were shot on Kodachrome.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

XTimmy posted:

I'd be concerned about editing RAWs on a screen I can't calibrate but that's me. Unless the iPad is way ahead of where I think it is.
Datacolor offers iPad users a way to calibrate their iPad with the Spyder 3: http://www.dpreview.com/news/2011/5/26/datacoloriPad

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Good smell is good camera!

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Not sure if this has been posted here but it's a nice watch about a guy who has a deep passion for wet plate photography: http://vimeo.com/39578584

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

This is quite cool, giant sized pinhole cameras made from garbage containers: http://www.petapixel.com/2012/04/18/german-garbage-men-turn-dumpsters-into-giant-pinhole-cameras/

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

guidoanselmi posted:

Most medium format cameras can be used as bludgeons.
Bonus points for the Pentax 67 which features a nice wooden grip for you to hold when bludgeoning someone with it! :black101:

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

I've got a friend about to self-publish a book on the street photographs he took at night and I'd just like to share a video he made compiling a selection of photos from the book: http://vimeo.com/42332325

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

The old film cameras also had bigger and brighter viewfinders to help with the manual focusing, something that isn't needed in modern-day cameras with AF.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

CarrotFlowers posted:

I did a concept shoot a while ago and I ended up spending quite a bit of money on it for props and stuff and I absolutely hate it. I hate when that happens.

Then, I was really excited about doing a trash the dress session with my new sister in law and just with the way it turned out, we had to shoot at full on noon, sun directly overhead, and all of the locations had no shade. loving sucked. Not to mention like half my shots were out of focus.

Hate photography right now. Well, I hate my photography right now. I see work that I love and I can't get myself to that level. How do you guys keep pushing yourselves? Like I know what's wrong, for the most part, but I can't seem to push myself past that. Time for a break? Does a break help or would I be better off just pushing through?

/whine

Other than taking a complete break, you can try exploring a different genre of photography, something more casual and fun that you don't have to think too hard, maybe like street or landscape photography, etc.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Clayton Bigsby posted:

After getting the E-M5 the other gear is basically collecting dust, with the exception of the 7D+500L which goes birding and wildlifing on a regular basis. I am very fond of the 1DsII and the GA645 but neither sees heavy use.

Haha that's what happened after I got my E-M5 as well, now my 5D2 just languishes in the drycab 90% of the time. Pretty much only use it for macro photography now, which I'm not sure how long that will last since I also plan to get a m4/3 macro lens soon.

I agree with dropping the RB67 since the Sinar can cover what it does and if you hardly use the GA645, there's no point in keeping it unless you like to shoot MF outdoors. I'd agree with spog that you don't really need the 1Ds2 either, the 7D makes up for it quite well. If you really want full-frame, maybe wait for a while and sell your 7D for a 2nd hand 5D3.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

That 70s Shirt posted:

Does anything in that video even actually count as street photography? My understanding of street is that one goes out looking for unique characters and situations, and snaps photos quickly whenever the opportunity presents itself; not just waiting at an intersection for hot girls to walk by. Honestly that's a little creepy.

It isn't really street photography, more like street fashion photography or street portraiture. And they're mostly doing it for fashion blogs, all copying Scott Schuman.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

FasterThanLight posted:

Is that actually a thing? Looks like a rebranded NEX-7.

It IS a rebranded NEX-7 for about 5x the usual price.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Wow Zeiss's new 55/1.4 is a real beast! I'm guessing this is really just a medium format lens made for DSLR mounts. Best way to get great corner-to-corner performance is to crop out the center of a large image circle.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

moonduck posted:

This was my assumption to, but I actually got to pose the question to a product manager at the convention, and he said it only covers 35mm. He also claimed that there was some internal doubt in Zeiss about making such a lens, until they all saw the result.

It's probably just the start of a family of lenses built for super-high resolution studio work, but the lenses are going to cost quite a bit (obviously, based on the amount of glass in them alone).

That's interesting, guess all that crazy glass in there is to make the light falling on the sensor as strong as possible. And I remember reading somewhere that the lens will probably cost upwards of US$3000.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Martytoof posted:

I cringed so hard when he was holding it in the crook of his arm while loading the film.

So hard.

If I was Mark I would have run over to grab it from him but he just stood away smoking his cigarette and thinking of how to troll Kai later.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

HPL posted:

Or take a photo of a print.

Or even just a photo of the negative, then invert and submit.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Reichstag posted:

You mean like a scanner does? :monocle:

That might just blow the minds of some Nikon executives :psyboom:

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

woot fatigue posted:

This thread has the attention span of a five year old.

If I were to put together a photography/art show during ArtPrize this year, in a building that's right in the middle of the action, would any of you be interested in showing/selling some work? I'm thinking like one to three top-loving-notch pieces per artist in the $250-$2000 range.

I would be interested in submitting a print as well, if I can sort out the logistics of sending you the print.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

pseudonordic posted:

I'm fortunate in that I'm able to get 5 mbit up where I live but even at that rate, it still took me 3 weeks of constant uploading to sync my picture data (560GB at the time) to Backblaze. I have a copy on my desktop, a copy on my NAS, a copy on an external USB drive, and then the cloud. :woop:

I'm pretty much doing this too, except my MBP doesn't have enough HDD space for photos so I just use a RAID 1 external drive to hold them instead.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Santa is strapped posted:

Goons, recommend me some great photographers on instagram!

My friend shoots some nice stuff on Instagram: @aikbengchia

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Santa is strapped posted:

Why wasn't it good? I've heard similar things, and it's playing in my city; I thought about checking it out (like everyone else, I like Vivian's story).

It wasn't bad, quite nice actually, but I preferred the Saul Leiter documentary. What a humble man!

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Clients probably love that poo poo and if you're a pro, you'll probably want to do what the clients want.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Ain't nobody else gonna give a poo poo, but I finally finished scanning all the MF I shot on my roadtrip across America in 2011 (pushed through the last 18 rolls in the last two days). Most still needs to be processed, but man I am glad to get that done.

Still have 29 rolls from the last three years in Japan, and whatever else is hiding elsewhere, but I'm down from 83 known rolls of unscanned material.

Well done, I know the feeling because I just scanned 24 rolls from a recent trip.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

MrBlandAverage posted:

I don't honestly believe that someone actually paid $6.5m for that. Notice that the only actual source on this is Peter Lik himself. Maybe it's some sort of weird money laundering scheme.

It's like that old 2 person con trick where one says a violin is worth so much, and then he tries to sell you the other one at a high price because it might be worth more.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

mr. mephistopheles posted:

I almost said Alkanphel but I double-checked his flickr and he's got a lot of stuff that doesn't look like his usual stuff so I didn't but I don't disagree. I don't know who sludgetank is. Also I can't remember who takes the loving amazing photos of zoo animals but add that person too because I've never seen wildlife photography like theirs.

Haha my Flickr is full of random and experimental stuff, I put most of my usual stuff on my website. I think it's good to keep experimenting even while shooting our usual stuff so that we don't get too stale. And sometimes, what you experiment with do make their way into your established style and that helps to evolve it.

And to second what you and Dakana said, curating and sequencing photographs is a really key part of learning. Asking why someone else picked a different photo or sequenced it differently helps to broaden possibilities, even if you don't agree with their choices.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

I think I spent like a week last year just going through all my photos to arrange it like dakana, but with the added step of splitting them by format. But the most important feature in Lightroom are the collections, which is where I put all my important photos so I don't have to dig through them again. And if I really have to hunt down some photos, that's what tags and smart collections are for.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Putrid Grin posted:

Finally getting to the final stages of getting my little photo book made. Is just a small digest on magcloud that I am planning on setting up, but having everything finalized is a great load off my mind.
Its funny how these self imposed deadline-free projects can just eat away at your peace of mind.

I know that feeling all too well! And it feels drat good once you finally complete it.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

He's one hell of a salesman but he will probably never get what he wants, which is to be recognised by the actual fine art photography world, so that he can further legitimise his work and bolster resale value. Further more, most of his super expensive sales are to dodgy private collectors instead of through proper auctions or galleries sales, like Gursky.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

bobmarleysghost posted:

I imagine lik's team all huddled in a smoky room trying to swindle people with tons of money, buy now! Buy now! No lata buy now!

I think that is the actual reality.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

bobmarleysghost posted:

So my question to you more learned folks, is my feeling correct or am I full of poo poo?

It's full of poo poo and everyone knows it - but the more poo poo you write, the more you can jack up the price :D

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

I wish there was an iOS version :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Spedman posted:

I found it to be mainly full of technically perfect, immaculate, soulless crap.

It's a great example of a convergent hivemind.