Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Put this up in the General thread a while ago, but loved it too much to let it go away:

Weegee talking about his brand of photojournalism in NYC.

http://tedbarron.com/BWF-June-2009/22-Weegee.mp3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

TsarAleksi posted:

That's really interesting, he makes some really good points.

Shame that they don't consider it ok to run bodies any more :(

I love the guy, just the accent and the completely jaundiced view he had by then, but considering he basically covered the crime beat, it's amazing he was as normal as he was. I love his shots, too. He's like a Cartier-Breson without hope or joy.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Paragon8 posted:

Has photography as a serious hobby ruined casually looking at pictures for everyone else? I can hardly look at facebook snapshots anymore. Also, whenever a friend links me to a babe I immediately try to guess what lighting is used and how to recreate the shot.

Everyone does this to some degree. I commented in the general thread that "The Girls Next Door" is a great show, because each episode you get to see them setting up photo shoots. Not the naked chicks, but the gear and setups...sweet.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

forkbucket posted:

Just went through a whole bunch of photos from some horse show thing that happened right outside my window. Turns out every single one was out of focus, even the ones that were taken (relatively) close. Which is...annoying...to say the least. I'm fairly positive this is the handy work of my 18-55 kit lens, but goddamn it. I've got a photo-day planned soon, too. Maybe if my buddy decides he doesn't want to go I can borrow his lenses.

Would adjusting the diopter on the viewfinder matter (I use glasses for reading, etc.)? I mean if I spend the rest of my evening tweaking the viewfinder, is that gonna change anything in the mechanics of how the camera auto focuses then goes "bleep" when everything is in focus? Or is that only there to help people with glasses not apply their diopter to their manual focusing? I'm guessing its the latter.

Glad Christmas is coming up soon, get to wish for a new, less crappy lens. (Maybe buy one as a gift to me, from me or something :neckbeard: )

Quasi-rant over.

Look thru viewfinder. Let camera autofocus. Does the subject appear in focus to you? If not, you can adjust the diopter so it does appear in focus to you. This permits accurate manual focus. It has no impact on how the camera autofocuses.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

dunkman posted:

Kind of a random question, but is a point of discussion among my friends.

Let's say I have my camera and I take a bunch of pictures, I hand my camera to my friend while I go to the bathroom or something, and he takes a couple pictures, and then hands me the camera back.

Who "owns" the pictures he took with my camera? This isn't any sort of legal dispute and is more hypothetical than real, but we were just curious.

edit: neither party is making money for being there or anything.

Not as simple as brad makes it out to be, i'm afraid. He would own the images to a degree, but he would have not right to get the electrons, and I don't think he could demand you produce the card, or copy the picture, or not delete it if you wanted to. He could control what you did with the images, but not necessarily the electrons, if you see the difference. You couldn't publish or use the photo, but you could destroy the card or delete the image. i think.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

notlodar posted:

I went to William Eggleston's new show, got his autograph, and then ripped in in half when I got in to the first fight with the girl I'm in love with :sweatdrop:

Just remember, you were wrong and apologize...all will be well. And frame that picture just the way you have it displayed here, torn in half and canted apart.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

brad industry posted:

We just finished building my bedroom up in the rafters which is pretty sweet, I'm basically living in a treehouse. Will post pics of the studio portion after I get settled and start doing some shoots.

Who cares about the studio portion? I want to see pics of that sweet living space. Don't disappoint us, man.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Cultural Imperial posted:

Wired thinks your DSLR is yesterday's news.

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/01/five-reasons-you-should-ditch-your-dslr/

:rolleyes:

Hilarious,

quote:

There’s a new camera category in town. It’s EVIL, and it’s going to kick your DSLR’s rear end. EVIL stands for Electronic Viewfinder Interchangeable Lens, and is our favorite acronym for cameras like the Olympus Pen, the Lumix GF1 and the Samsung NX10. These small, mirrorless, finderless cameras can fit in a pocket and outperform bulky DSLRs. Here’s why your next camera will probably be EVIL.

They never mention the "outperform" in the subsequent comments. Not to mention, how exactly are they going to give us a 17-50mm equivalent (the "kit lens") without making them too big to put in your pocket, the sole advantage these seem to offer?

Sure, these are great second cameras.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
I'm not sure much can be done minus a revolutionary change in optics. Until we aren't limited by glass/ceramic optics and the defraction/distortion problems inherent to it, you can only make a 400mm lens so compact and retain any quality. Right now, I'm not sure you can make a 70-200 much smaller than the f/4 of canon, and how important is it that your camera can fit in your pocket if it's stuck on the end of that?

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
I thought of putting this in the wedding photography thread, but it fits here more aptly.

http://thereifixedit.com/2010/02/09/epic-kludge-photo-hart-break/#more-6974

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

quazi posted:

How to take better low-light photos (nytimes.com)

quote:

I never do any [post-production] manipulation because most of my career was spent using film. If I manipulated the photos, I would feel that everything I did was fake. I might take a scratch out but I don’t adjust lighting — that’s creating something that wasn’t there. When photographers start doing that, it can’t be called artwork.

You should have then quoted this bit:

quote:

What’s the difference in light between shooting film and digital?

On film, the results were unreliable. If I was in a dark situation, the film had to be developed first so that I had an idea of how far to push it. I’d usually develop eight frames or so to judge the quality.

Seems like he was willing to "adjust lighting" in film, but not digital.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Dumbest. Idea. Ever.

http://cloakbags.com/

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

TsarAleksi posted:

You should have then quoted this bit:

Seems like he was willing to "adjust lighting" in film, but not digital.

My guess is, then, that he's talking about substantial manipulation, then, rather than global adjustments/dodge & burning.
[/quote]

You can get to a reasonable place, but you really do have to ignore what he actually says, including his conclusion that if you manipulate lighting you can't call it art. If he had said, you can't call it a photo, or "it's not reporting" or "it's not accurate" but "it's not art?"

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

drat that was epic. He should have thrown the book (Understanding Exposure) at them! :rimshot: Also, making them pay back $2,500 was just a huge bitch slap in the face. haha.

The reason the people who are obviously going to lose go on these shows is, there's a pool of $5000 put up by the show. The parties split it, minus whatever the ruling is. So, in this case, the plaintiff got $2500 judgment, plus 1/2 of the $2500 left, which means the defendant walked away with $1250. I wonder if they thought the blow to their reputation was worth getting a small payout like that.

The woman behind her when she says she doesn't know the speed of the lens is quite hilarious.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

notlodar posted:

Proof that the Dorkroom is the last place on the internet for sane photographers is the fact that we all seem to like to see lovely photographers get schooled.

Also, we seem to be more self-aware here. Not everyone here thinks they're god's gift to photography, and everyone seems to really want actual criticism. I just avoid the other photography forums now, except for comedy.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

ZoCrowes posted:

35mm is 35mm though. The focal length is not changing from crop body to full-frame. Just what the camera is able to "see" along that focal legth.

Not really. This plays into the problem. What is accurate is "focal length is focal length" it's not 35mm specific. As you say, the focal length is not changing from crop to 35mm to MF. An 80mm lens on a medium format camera is the same focal length as an 80mm lens on a 35mm camera or an 80mm EF-S lens, the only thing that changes is field of view.

When people talk about how it's all relative to 35mm they are incorrect.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

ZoCrowes posted:

That's exactly what I said. Where are you disagreeing with me? The field of view (what the camera "sees" as I originally put it) changes but the focal length does not.

Not quite. You said

ZoCrowes posted:

35mm is 35mm though. The focal length is not changing from crop body to full-frame. Just what the camera is able to "see" along that focal legth.

If you are referring to 35mm the focal length, we're in agreement. If you meant, as had been used earlier in the conversation, 35mm as a film size, it's starkly different.

If you were using 35mm as a focal length, then while we agree, I'd suggest you use a different focal length to make the point, given its confusion with the film/sensor size. Your use of "crop body to full-frame" made me think you meant 35mm as sensor size, though.

edit: I raise this because so many people do the "equivalency" thing, with 35mm film as the "base" field of view. It's a great shortcut for people who know how it works, but it's really misleading to the new folks in photography.

torgeaux fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Mar 11, 2010

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Paragon8 posted:

You agree with him. This whole debate started when orange lime pulled ZoCrowes' post about getting a 35-70mm f2.8 lens and saying he didn't shoot wider than 35mm.

Ah...In that case, nevermind. Carry on with your day to day activities please.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
So, a colleague at work has a jazz ensemble. Wanted me to come to their practice to do some shots for them. Great, I enjoy the opportunity to practice myself.

"Don't worry about lighting, there's stage lighting there so it's fine."

Yeah, I know better. I took AB800, a Sigma 530DG Super, couple of umbrellas and stands.

"Meet us at 7:30, just google where the place is."

Sure. Easy, except that there's no parking, but I got there a bit early, and after searching for parking, I'm on time.

I set up, tell them to just keep practicing, I'll shoot around a bit before we do anything more formal. Fiddle, mess with the trigger, which is screwing up, test some exposures to see how I'm going to set up my second light. At 7:50, I ask how much time they have for the pictures, they say, "We have to be out at 8."

I just can't WAIT for these beautiful, well staged shots. gently caress me.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

evil_bunnY posted:

If only you'd had a $100 filter, you would have busted that instead of your precious $90 lens!

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

TsarAleksi posted:

If you are just someone who likes to go cool places, and likes to take pictures, then it would probably be a lot of fun. I'd imagine most of the folks on these trips are not going to make earth-shattering images.

Yeah, but why not just go with some photography friends? I see what you're saying, and I see the appeal, but I think I'd be irritated out of my mind by hour 2.

On the other hand, a photography road trip or vacation would be fantastic. My wife, I believe, might disagree.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

evil_bunnY posted:

2 things I like about shooting in groups (no matter the size):
- no one minds waiting 2 minutes for you to set up a shot
- assuming you're not old and decrepit, people just assume you're either students or tourists and leave you alone.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Twenties Superstar posted:

Dont be obtuse, he's just pointing out the obvious that there is no reason why any photo needs a geotag to be good.

or, rather, that a geotag doesn't make a bad photo a good one

His article is moronic on its face, as always.

quote:

Hobbyists are so distracted by wondering which raw converter to use, worried about printer and camera profiles, wasting hours doing gigapan and HDR and pan-focus captures, and then wasting even more hours in front of their screens putting these all together back into photos and then screwing them up further with more plugins, that no hobbyists have any time left to look for better pictures.

He presents a false dichotomy here. One can have equipment enthusiasts who are also good, even great, photographers. Do some people obsess more about the equipment than the photo? Sure, and god bless 'em. Their hobby is different from mine, but I bet they have as much fun as I do. but, some photographers are capable of using the best equipment to acquire images that were not possible with lesser equipment. To ignore the fact that better equipment equals more flexibility is no less a sin than to worship the equipment to the exclusion of other considerations.

Every time I see those snide, "it's almost like the lens doesn't matter" comments, I think, sure, unless you want sharper or faster or better color reproduction or any of a number of legitimate improvements that some equipment has over others. Great pictures can be taken with lovely, basic equipment. But not as many as can be taken with the best equipment.

Geotagging...what a loving moronic thing for him to comment on at all. When someone argues the other side of that equation, that is, a geotagged photo is better somehow, then I'll entertain the contrary argument. Until then, it's just another stupid "I'm better because I don't care about equipment!" arguments.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

brad industry posted:

I don't think most hobbyists are concerned with taking "great" pictures even if that's what they say. Photography serves more social and personal functions than that.

A different point, but one I agree with entirely.

My point is, assuming his person exists, i.e. a hobbyist with gear lust, he can still be a great photographer. The gear lust could interfere, but it isn't the necessity he implies.

quote:

If you take more than a half-second to fire all the shots you need to stitch and stack, you cannot possibly create a photograph as powerful as can be captured in one snap of my Powershot.

Sure, some few people make good photos with whack techniques, and those same people are the sort of people who could make great photos with any technique.

The people who can pull off good stitched photos are those who already know exactly where to set their tripods for great photos. If you don't already have this knack, and few people do, then the worst way to try to get better is by handicapping yourself with a system that paralyzes you for a half an hour at a time.

So, according to Ken, if you already know how to shoot great photos, it's ok to do this poo poo he hates. I could even agree with the basic point that one should learn photography before learning the techniques he rails on, but it can certainly go the other way. A gear head loves the stuff, loves the techniques, then learns composition and lighting.

My point is, the sneering at equipment is no worse than the worship of equipment, if it's as broad a generalization as he makes here.

torgeaux fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Apr 5, 2010

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Reichstag posted:

That's a pretty poor analogy.

It's a great analogy, because it makes both sides of the argument. You can make fantastic furniture by hand, and you can make it with modern tools.

I have a friend who is a blacksmith. He uses tools from the mid-1800's to the late twentieth century. He doesn't care when it was made, just whether it helps him get the job done. Brian May used a cheap rear end electric guitar for years, because it had a unique sound, but it wasn't better than a more expensive, more tonally accurate guitar, just the tool suited his purpose. Screaming "the tools don't matter" is just as stupid as pixel peeping, trading in lenses until you get one that reproduces news print with 100% accuracy then shooting charts with it.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

dissss posted:

What is the dude in center frame from about 3.38 holding? It does look a lot like a rifle.

It is a rifle. Carrying a rifle there is not indicative of anything, though, every day people carry AK47s without being part of the insurgency.

Not to mention, there was a recently revealed incident where a local chief of police and another official were killed when they came out of their homes carrying AK47s in response to gunfire.

I know lots of guys who kill people for a living. They're normally pretty normal, stable people, and they can be trusted to do the right thing. Put them on their third deployment, in an urban environment with a hostile (with good reason) populace, and bad things happen. The thing is, the fog of war is such that, as a rule, I'm not quick to condemn the trigger pullers, although the chatter in this case and the video make me much less sympathetic to that argument than normal. There have been a lot of civilian casualties in this conflict, and it's tragic not matter what else is going on.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Mannequin posted:

I hope you're not talking about the Red Special, buddy! (Hand-carved out of a 19th century fireplace when he was 16). :colbert:

Ha. that's exactly what I'm talking about, but talking out my rear end, apparently. I had a buddy who was a bigger Queen fan than me (and I'm a fan), and he went on and on about how May used this cheap guitar he liked the sound of. Jesus. I read up on that guitar...sweet.

Of course, it's made the other end of the point, that is, the best equipment has it's advantages.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

pwn posted:

They're. Contraction of they + are. They're.

Alright, how did GBS leak in here?

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

fronkpies posted:

Please forgive me, I have brought shame upon myself and my family.

Don't empower them. Just make the corrections, say a silent mea culpa and move on.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

tuyop posted:

That's a bit slow for a prime, isn't it?

No. Most primes are f/2.8s in the canon line, anyway. The 50 and 85 are the two cheaper ones that are faster. After that, the default max aperture seems to be 2.8. The 14, 15, 20, 24, 28, 100, 135 and 200 are all available in f/2.8 as the cheap version.

35, 50 and 100 are 2/1.8/1.8 respectively.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

DaNzA posted:

:ohdear:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMJ2mqUf16U#t=6m25s&fmt=22

That's some strong throwing arm..

That needs to be in the OP of the gear thread.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

DaNzA posted:

*sees a public bathroom*
*thinks of SEX*

:wtc:

I guess you can kinda see that he is trying to compose each shot, but lovely subjects will still be lovely most of the time.

Yes. Point well made.

Oh, and did anyone see the new camera commercial, I think for a panasonic point and shoot that was on the Big Bang Theory on Monday? Starts with eagle in nest...pan to man with tripod, taking telephoto lens out of bag to put on camera...couple walk into frame, say, "Hey, look at that!" pull P&S from pocket, take a quick shot (clearly on auto) look at the LCD and say, "That's a keeper!" as the bird flies away. Man with SLR holds lens, looks ashamed.

But for the reaction I had of, "You fuckers, I sat here waiting for him to come back, you walk up and scare him away with your lovely POS camera and I'm going to kill you" it hits the right notes of convenience. Talks about the great 16x zoom.

torgeaux fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Apr 15, 2010

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

brad industry posted:

How much would you charge for this? We may be able to take up a collection here to pay you to take this job. I'm willing to pitch in.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

fronkpies posted:

You could put a 5d mkII sensor in a camera phone and it still wouldn't make dslr's obsolete, sure it would give you better quality pictures out of your camera phone but that doesn't mean everyone is going to give up there fully functioning camera.

Sure, my iphone, 7d and eos 3 are all cameras, but there's a reason I always have my real cameras with me. I don't need to explain why either because anyone reading this already knows the massive difference there is between the formats.

I cant see any pro or serious amateur using anything other than an slr (also range finder/mf/lf etc.) because even if the camera phone had a great sensor, full manual controls and hotshoe, its still a loving phone with a camera.

I propose an organic photo sensor, we can plant it in our heads, right above the nose (make it two, so we can do stereoscopic imaging) and a massive storage system for the full size images (put that behind the sensors). We just need a way to get those images out of the storage medium. Maybe paint brushes and canvas?

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
You know, the picture below is nothing special, just another shot of the boy at the park (just before he tried to get down from there and fell and hit his head on the concrete apron...no injury, but oh the crying). But, I was putting the pictures up on flickr and noticed it looked really sharp, and I thought I had shot wide open. I checked, and I had, in fact, shot wide open. 85mm f/1.8 at 1.8. Just a great lens. I love this lens.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

orange lime posted:

:crossarms:

No, the poster above me has it right. The f/number is a mathematical ratio comparing the physical diameter of the aperture to the focal length of the lens (f). An f/2 lens has a numerical aperture of half the focal length, and so on -- a 100mm f/4 has a 25mm diameter aperture. Light falls off with the square of the distance it travels, but the area of the aperture increases with the square of the diameter*, so the ultimate effect is that any lens set to f/2 will cast the same amount of light onto the film plane -- whether it's a fisheye or a normal lens or a super-telephoto. Light falloff through the optics is a factor in the actual amount of light reaching the film plane but most of the time it's negligible.

The reason that we can't make 10-600mm terrorzooms is because each end of that focal length range requires vastly different optics, many of which work at cross purposes to each other -- nothing to do with the aperture. The reason we can't easily make f/1.0 lenses (besides the progressively larger pieces of glass you require) is primarily because of spherical aberration that goes absolutely nuts when you start using the outer edges of a lens.

Most zoom lenses have a smaller maximum aperture at the long end because the aperture can't open beyond a certain size, which is a smaller fraction of the focal length at the long end than at the short end. With lenses that maintain a constant aperture, what is actually occurring is that the designers have made a conscious choice to limit the aperture's opening at the short end in the interests of sharpness. Your 70-200 f/2.8 could theoretically be a 1.4 at the short end, but it would be hazy and soft if not outright uncorrected.

</optics rant>

*If you remember high school math, you will be saying "but the formula is pi(r)^2!" Yes, area actually increases with the square of the radius. The diameter is of course twice the radius, and this is why full stops are separated by the factor of sqrt(2) = 1.4. Ie., each time you increase a stop and halve the light, you are dividing the diameter (multiplying the f/ value) by a factor of 1.4:

:science:

I do not think this is correct. Apparent aperture and actual aperture are not the same, and the apparent aperture is the important figure, in particular with zoom lenses.

http://photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=0000Wf

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Augmented Dickey posted:

Yeah, this is basically what my question boils down to.

The physical aperture doesn't change (with a small exception). The apparent aperture changes because of the amount of available light for the wide end...the light path is NOT the same for each focal length. At the very widest end, in some lenses, there is some small change in the physical diameter to make the f/stop be constant.

In other words, the aperture ISN'T constant, the F/stop is. The physical aperture of a 70-200/f2.8 lens is ~71.4. It's still 71.4 at the 70mm end, but it's not an f/.9 lens. It hasn't moved down to be 25mm, but it's apparent aperture has changed.

torgeaux fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Apr 26, 2010

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

guidoanselmi posted:

i used an HDR photo of mine for an old GBS PS thread where I turned it into a scene from stalker. like a dozen people emailed me to ask for the original :3:

also, i think my hdr phase lasted like 6 months. i dunno if that's forgivable or not.

Depends on the penance you did after.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

ease posted:

You guys just don't understand.

Insufficient halos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...