Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
Ordered a point and shoot film camera on eBay and the guy just put it into a large box with no packaging whatever. A++ would purchase from again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
http://palettegear.com/ this game across my news feed. Seemed pretty interesting until I checked the price tag. Nope.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
If you want photos you've Favorited on Flickr, instagram, etc. to cycle for your background, I found this:
http://johnsad.ventures/software/backgroundswitcher/windows/

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

red19fire posted:

It's so you can move the clarity/HDR sliders to 100%, then use the physical sliders to move them to 200%. Then you will be crowned ALL POWERFUL KING OF FLICKR (COMMENT ONE LIKE THREE).

Can confirm, works as expected. Look at those tones, so rich. And the detail in those shadows? Just wonderful, absolutely wonderful.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
Calibrated correctly I believe. Didn't even realize there was a built in glitch mode.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
It would seem glitch mode broke SA's attachment feature. Let's try again.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
If any of you should happen to be in Iceland on January 30th, you can sign up now for a free walk with some Nat Geo photographers here: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/national-geographic-yourshotmeetup-iceland-registration-20125402621

P.S. I hate you if you get one of the 10 positions.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

(Ignore terrible image quality, I only have access to MS paint with the computer I'm using.)

Images 0 to 4 in my screenshot are snaps of a fake sunrise happening. I've written a script to grab segments of each shot and merge them all into one image. The script can handle a few images up to thousands stitched together like this. If anyone has any interest in this let me know, I'd love more input. Otherwise I'll just go back to working on this by myself.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

crap nerd posted:

Is it just putting similar sized images side by side like that? Also, heads up if you're using python, you need to pass in some optional parameters writing out the image to set the jpg quality.

It takes several (hundred) images, shot of the exact same spot over seconds/hours/days and takes segments of each image and stitches them all together. Also, thanks for the heads up.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

ansel autisms posted:

Couldn't you accomplish that with some imagemagick fuckery?

Potentially. I wanted to write it all myself so as I think of ideas to try out, it'll be easier to implement. I'm also getting it to work with some hardware including an Arduino Arducam camera at some point in the future.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

HookShot posted:

I've got an idea for a photo I want to take, basically a night time photo of the row of lights on the pedestrian path near my house, but when it's snowing, so the snow appears only in the glow of the light.

Except it hasn't snowed at night here in literally months. It's rain or nothing.

So today it starts snowing around 8am, ok, whatever. The forecast says it's supposed to change to rain in the early afternoon. Except the afternoon comes, and it's still snowing. 2, 3pm passes and I'm like "OH MY GOD THIS MIGHT HAPPEN THIS MIGHT BE THE NIGHT".

4pm rolls around. 5pm. It gets dark enough for the lights to turn on a little before 6.

5:30.

THIS IS GOING TO HAPPEN.

5:45.it stops loving snowing

I'm never going to get that picture.

Don't worry, it was probably bad.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
:woop: I just received my second camera in a row off of ebay that was shipped with just the body and no packaging. Besides a single crappy food store plastic shopping bag. Even better the seller has 100% positive feedback on 381 transactions. What the hell?

huhu fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Apr 5, 2016

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

burzum karaoke posted:

gently caress that poo poo, I'm waiting for the iPad mount.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOl6YkyRM80

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
So much for amateur black and white. What garbage.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
Found this in a Star Market Grocery Store a few weeks back.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

drowningidiot posted:

Does the Dorkroom have an adopt a newbie program or something similar? I'm looking for some help/mentoring with product photography.

Show us what you've already taken.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

quote:

We’re excited to announce that Flickr has agreed to be acquired by SmugMug, the photography platform dedicated to visual storytellers.
SmugMug has a long history of empowering people who love photography and who want to improve their craft, making them a perfect fit for Flickr and our creative community. With SmugMug, we’ll continue to focus on you, the Flickr members who inspire us all with your work.

Nothing will change immediately with regard to your Flickr account. You will still access Flickr with your current login credentials and you will have the same Flickr experience as you do now. We will continue to work to make your Flickr experience even better.

We think you are going to love Flickr under SmugMug ownership, but you can choose to not have your Flickr account and data transferred to SmugMug until May 25, 2018. If you want to keep your Flickr account and data from being transferred, you must go to your Flickr account to download the photos and videos you want to keep, then delete your account from your Account Settings by May 25, 2018.

If you do not delete your account by May 25, 2018, your Flickr account and data will transfer to SmugMug and will be governed by SmugMug’s Terms and Privacy Policy.

Read more detailed FAQs about this transition on the Flickr Blog.

We’re happy that Flickr is your home for photography and we look forward to the next chapter in our adventure together as we join the SmugMug family.

Thanks,
The Flickr Team

Anyone planning to delete all their stuff instead of moving it over?

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

President Beep posted:

Heck yeah. Just got asked to shoot an event related to work this weekend. $50 for one hour. Seems reasonable for a hobbyist such as myself.

Can't tell if you're actually excited about this amount or just joking.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
I just manually deleted all my photos and put gibberish in for ask the fields since I don't really trust what they'll do if I try and deactivate my account.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
In an attempt to support my local brick and mortar store, I went there to buy some filters. I asked for a circular polarizer and he came back with one priced at $180. I said "I was hoping to spend about $100 on one." and he says he can go try and see if he can sell it to me for $100. How much are they marking all that poo poo up!? I left without purchasing anything and am just going to buy it all online.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
Whelp. gently caress Disney.

https://petapixel.com/2019/09/03/disney-shutting-down-natgeo-your-shot-website-to-focus-on-instagram/

quote:

The message leaves out some key details: how will submissions even work? Will “expert feedback” be delivered through IG comments? Is this the end of Your Shot assignments? It seems NatGeo was more interested in reminding users that their old images are still going to be used to promote Your Shot than answering any usability questions.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
I was just looking through some posts in here. If Flickr goes away, my entire collection of photos I've marked as favorites will be gone. gently caress. gently caress me. What next?

goonr? gookr? ugh.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

xzzy posted:

Anyone ever considered using their SD cards as a last resort backup? I've sort of started doing this, never formatting my cards until they're full, but have been debating in my head whether this might be a nice way to keep a third copy of my raws. I got my "online storage" in a raid NAS and a "offsite storage" with a cloud backup, so technically I'm covered but SD cards are so cheap these days and are small enough that I could keep a hundred of them in our "important documents" briefcase.

I'd think the storage would be pretty stable too, as flash is nonvolatile.

A class 10 64GB card is only $20, and with a ~20MP camera that's about 2000 raw files. Unless I'm shooting sports that's well over a year of images.

Why wouldn't you just do something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Extr...2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

They're about the size of a deck of cards and protect (somewhat) against shock, water and dust.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
What the poo poo. Flickr forced me to get a Yahoo email and now Yahoo is telling me they're going to close my email account if I don't use it.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
Schadenfreude is on me for backing this Kickstarter for what appeared to be a cool light. I got my light and it stopped working and I went to go look for customer support. Turns out the creator hasn't replied in months and a lot of people haven't gotten their rewards. Some people are out like $800. Kickstarter said "deal with it, no refunds".

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/lumin8/lumin8-l-4-waterproof-app-controlled-led-for-photo-and-video/comments

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
Just spent like 2 hours preparing to import from Lightroom Classic to Lightroom Cloud. Finally got the script in Lightroom Cloud to execute. It chugged along successfully, let me know it import all 200GB of my photos into Lightroom Cloud. Anddd there's no photos in my library. And if I run the import again, it says "Already imported, can't do it again." So, I guess, ?????.