Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Good; maybe everyone will stop using blue LEDs then.

loving hate eye-searing blue LEDs. It doesn't matter what brightness setting they're at, I swear I feel like I'm getting myopia or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
After lots of googling and calculating import taxes, and given that WASD had thin rear end ABS keycaps, and that other alternatives have lovely gamer fonts and features that look off, I went with a Filco MJ-2.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Wasabi the J posted:

Good; maybe everyone will stop using blue LEDs then.

loving hate eye-searing blue LEDs. It doesn't matter what brightness setting they're at, I swear I feel like I'm getting myopia or something.

REDBLACK is worse.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Aphrodite posted:

REDBLACK is worse.

Anything under blacklight is awful, and lighting WRT pc's is generally awful, but then again I'm a curmudgeon that didn't even put any windows or lights on my gaming PC and apparently that irritates the gently caress out of the :pcgaming: friends that helped me build it.

"Don't you want to look at it and admire it or show how badass it is??"

No, I just want to use the thing and if it were invisible that would be even cooler.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
I never cared much for looks because, well I guess nobody else I know cares. But now I have a 100% color matched red black setup completely by accident so I feel like kind of a tool lol. Well I definitely felt that way when I sold my blue ram mostly to get black ram

I like white lights for keyboards though :colbert:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I want an RGB so I can make a waving American flag.

Anyone who doesn't is a commie.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

1gnoirents posted:

I never cared much for looks because, well I guess nobody else I know cares. But now I have a 100% color matched red black setup completely by accident so I feel like kind of a tool lol. Well I definitely felt that way when I sold my blue ram mostly to get black ram

I like white lights for keyboards though :colbert:

I used to have plans to do case mods and stuff, but it was mainly just because the idea of building the stuff seemed cool rather than wanting my case to necessarily look :rice: or anything.

Nowadays I would rather have a case that actively absorbed light and sound.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Aug 26, 2014

JavaDoc
Jul 13, 2014
Last year I got my third dasKeyboard and the build quality is excellent. The silent version has a slightly different feel to it but the keys are significantly less noisy. If your looking into this just beware of spilling liquids like soda onto the keyboard since it can make the switches stick.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
For those of you that missed out on the PokerII MX-Clear on Massdrop, they are apparently opening it up again in a few weeks.

First 300, then 600, now god only knows how many. So much for a "limited single production run" board. :argh:

Gravefront
Feb 5, 2014

by Ralp
The real question is: do I get one in white for my mac?

:iiam:

I don't think I'd like clears though. Hm.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

Rime posted:

For those of you that missed out on the PokerII MX-Clear on Massdrop, they are apparently opening it up again in a few weeks.

First 300, then 600, now god only knows how many. So much for a "limited single production run" board. :argh:

I don't see the problem, unless somebody bought it explicitly to resell it later, in which case my sympathy for them would be severely limited.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

GokieKS posted:

I don't see the problem, unless somebody bought it explicitly to resell it later, in which case my sympathy for them would be severely limited.

They explicitly stated it this was a special one-time production run, which would not be happening again. It's a lovely bait and switch.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Rime posted:

They explicitly stated it this was a special one-time production run, which would not be happening again. It's a lovely bait and switch.

Or an excellent way to gauge market demand while alienating far fewer customers than you make happy

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

They should've coated the limited ones with shiny holograms and then all the plebes could use the non-foil magic cards. I mean keyboards.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Rime posted:

A bait-and-switch implies you're not getting the thing you ordered.

I'm basically saying you're the rear end in a top hat for wanting an artificial scarcity of a product that isn't even made as a collectible.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
His complaint is the definition of :qqsay:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

White nerd's struggle is real, guys.

tricksnake
Nov 16, 2012

Shin-chan posted:

How can you have a Keyboard Megathread without including the granddaddy of them all in the OP?

The Optimus Maximus OLED Keyboard: US$ 1692.31
http://www.artlebedev.com/everything/optimus/

Want QWERTY? Ok. Want DVORAK? Ok. Want Photoshop? Ok.

Want to watch :siren: this :siren: gif on 113 48x48 OLED displays? Ok.

Can't remember what keybind you put fireball for your mage in WoW? Look down at the icon!

Did I mention that it is also mechanical?

:swoon:

Woah... :siren:

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:
If you want a rare super special keyboard build one yourself. It'll also be a faster process than getting one from Massdrop.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

:siren:...:siren: :siren: :siren: :siren:...:siren: :siren: :siren: :siren:...:siren: :siren: :siren: :siren:...:siren: :siren: :siren:

:siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren:....:siren: :siren: :siren:...:siren: :siren: :siren: :siren:
:siren:.:siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren:...:siren: :siren: :siren:...:siren: :siren: :siren:
:siren:..:siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren:...:siren:......:siren: :siren: :siren:...:siren: :siren: :siren: :siren:
:siren:....:siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren:......:siren:...............:siren:..........:siren: :siren: :siren:
:siren: :siren: :siren:.........................:siren:..................:siren: :siren: :siren: :siren:...:siren: :siren: :siren:...:siren: :siren: :siren::siren:

E:

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

Rime posted:

So your complaint is that you don't get to be one of the 300 or 600 special snowflakes in the world? Boy, I sure feel sorry for you.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
I can't imagine how that could be anything but barely moderately annoying. Even if there was one in the whole world and it was yours... its a keyboard.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
One which costs $200 shipped to Canada. I'd not have bought it had they been honest from the beginning.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Rime posted:

One which costs $200 shipped to Canada. I'd not have bought it had they been honest from the beginning.

Did you buy several of them in hopes to resell them at a later date for more money or something? I am failing to see why the hell it matters that the keyboard you use is going to be in production again. It doesn't affect the use of your keyboard at all, and allows others to share in the joy of using a really well made keyboard.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.
Can someone explain to me why tenkeyless/60% keyboards are such a big thing now (or at least seem to be)?
I mean, I don't have a problem with 60%s, I've just been seeing them all over the place recently and I didn't use to. Admittedly, I didn't pay all that much attention to keyboards until earlier this year.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Moatman posted:

Can someone explain to me why tenkeyless/60% keyboards are such a big thing now (or at least seem to be)?
I mean, I don't have a problem with 60%s, I've just been seeing them all over the place recently and I didn't use to. Admittedly, I didn't pay all that much attention to keyboards until earlier this year.

Well, ergonomically it's supposed to be best to keep your keyboard and mouse closer together than the numpad-bearing conventional keyboard allows, and a lot of people seem to be able to get by with a very minimalist setup. I can't stand those boards but it isn't hard to find full-sized ones so :shobon:

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.
I could never use a TKL on my main desktops, but I got in on the Poker II MX Clears because I wanted a keyboard that was small enough to keep in my bag and take to work. I'm not actually convinced that I'll like it enough to keep carrying it around (as opposed to just buying another CODE or something and leaving it at work), but we'll see.

Gravefront
Feb 5, 2014

by Ralp
I use them because I ended up really, really, really liking my Wireless Apple Keyboard, and the closest wired equivalent is a 60%. I almost got a Filco TKL, then I learned that the Poker II existed. Once I learned it was so popular and easily moddable due to the abundance of replacement things, I was sold.

I really love this keyboard, probably more than the Apple one. It certainly sees a great deal more use.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Moatman posted:

I don't think they'd be so popular if they would move the ten key to the devil's side of the board instead of God's intended mouse hand.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Got my Filco MJ-2 today in the post. God, I missed that mechanical feeling, and for whatever reason, it made me type way faster in no time, compared to my old Logitech Illuminated Keyboard. I'm glad I went with the brown instead of blue switches, because it's plenty loud enough already, without the clicking.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Finally want to get to buying a new keyboard and I see the K70 rgb comes out soon. A rainbow below my hands is exactly what I want, hopefully it functions well.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Apparently, Corsair's sent out some of them early. There's people on various mechanical keyboard related forums that have gotten some today already.

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Alright, who let Rube Goldberg in here?
Red switches only at the moment though.

Winks fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Aug 28, 2014

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Well, I got vomit on my Rosewill with browns and ruined it recently. Now I think I'd be happier with a tenkeyless with blues. Is the coolermaster still the best one I can get for 80 dollars or less these days?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/corsair-vengeance-k65-keyboard

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/race-mechanical-keyboard

?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Okay so I'm looking to buy a nice keyboard and I have no loving clue what the market looks like. What are the major companies selling mechanical keyboards right now? I have a Rosewill rebranded Filco (I think) from a few years ago which I like a lot, that's pretty much what I'm looking for now. It was around $100 IIRC.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

icantfindaname posted:

Okay so I'm looking to buy a nice keyboard and I have no loving clue what the market looks like. What are the major companies selling mechanical keyboards right now? I have a Rosewill rebranded Filco (I think) from a few years ago which I like a lot, that's pretty much what I'm looking for now. It was around $100 IIRC.

Do you know what switches it has? It might say somewhere on it, but you should be able to figure it out if you look at the stems (if it has Cherry MX switches).

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Moatman posted:

Do you know what switches it has? It might say somewhere on it, but you should be able to figure it out if you look at the stems (if it has Cherry MX switches).

Yeah, it has cherry mx black switches. I know the switch types and stuff. Last I knew about mechanical keyboards the options were to import them from a few Taiwanese companies, or buy a Corsair/:pcgaming: keyboard. Is that still pretty much the case?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

icantfindaname posted:

Yeah, it has cherry mx black switches. I know the switch types and stuff. Last I knew about mechanical keyboards the options were to import them from a few Taiwanese companies, or buy a Corsair/:pcgaming: keyboard. Is that still pretty much the case?

There are keyboards being made for the retail US market by big brands like Corsair, Cooler Master, Steelseries and Logitech. They're all pretty decent although I think Logitech only has them available with Brown switches. Razer moved their not great build quality boards from Cherry to Kailh (chinese cherry clone) switches so they seem hellbent on going with cheapness in builds. There are online and limited retail keyboards available from Das, WASDKeyboards, Max Keyboards, and Deck (plus others I'm sure I'm forgetting). Monoprice and Newegg (Rosewill) have/had cherry keyboards but have taken to selling Kailh boards recently (basically if the description doesn't say Cherry switches they're either an ALPS clone or Kailh). The old guard are still around as well but their keyboards seem to be the same as ever (Cherry, Filco, etc).

For imports you still have a lot of variety like Ducky, Vortex, and probably a half dozen others I'm forgetting. Ducky is a major manufacturer in Asia and has a nice variety but warranty issues can be problematic since they're mostly reselling in the US.

For quick browsing you can hit up Amazon/Newegg for the major brands and http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/ for browsing a lot of the rest. They sell a lot of imports as well as some of the smaller brands and they list stuff that's out of stock so you can get a good view of the market as well.

I'm using a CM Storm Quickfire Rapid but it's probably pretty similar to the keyboard you have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

Danny likes his party hat
He does not like his banana hat
Got my Poker II with clears, non backlit.

Immediate impressions:
- loving hell its annoying not to have arrow keys, very slowly getting use to the FN+WASD.
- Wow clears certainly have more action force than I thought, on the plus side they are even quieter than I thought. Assuming the lack of noise is due to the force required and less bottoming out.
- The clears and possibly the case contributes to this but they have a very hollow spring sound thats kind of annoying. Going to try it as is for a week or so and then maybe orings?
- The size is dope, loving it
- Manual was in Chinese? and took me longer than 5 minutes to find the English version online which annoys my American sensibilities. And still the manual is kind of vague and I'm just fumbling around learning as I go.

I saw a few people complaining they ordered white backlit ones on massdrop and got gray non backlit, but thats massdrop being massdrop.

e: Anyone know where to find a matching keycaps to replace Win/Alt with Cmd/Option
And possibly a spacebar that doesn't say 'Enjoy your feelings'

streetlamp fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Sep 3, 2014

• Locked thread