Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

AllTerrineVehicle posted:

Downsides are it uses a mini-usb cable for some reason
Welcome to 60% keyboards. Most of them use a mini-usb connection. I don't really know why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

I've always wanted one of those CODE boards so I decided to get in on the massdrop for them. First time ever using massdrop, here's hoping it turns out well. I really like the idea of MX Clears, and they were my favorite from the WASD sample pack. Here's hoping for good things. Only apparently common issue is that the stabilizer bars apparently squeak if you don't put some contact lubricant on them, or something, but it looks like a really solid unit.

More and more lights going out on the K95. They must have really hosed up the basic power distribution of these things for them to be croaking like this, under-current killing the diodes maybe? I'd imagine there's a reason that they released a firmware update allowing a high-power mode to be used (at user risk, preferred USB 3.0 only, etc.) and a reason why the RGB board runs both headers for power instead of pass-through.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Agreed posted:

I've always wanted one of those CODE boards so I decided to get in on the massdrop for them. First time ever using massdrop, here's hoping it turns out well. I really like the idea of MX Clears, and they were my favorite from the WASD sample pack. Here's hoping for good things. Only apparently common issue is that the stabilizer bars apparently squeak if you don't put some contact lubricant on them, or something, but it looks like a really solid unit.

More and more lights going out on the K95. They must have really hosed up the basic power distribution of these things for them to be croaking like this, under-current killing the diodes maybe? I'd imagine there's a reason that they released a firmware update allowing a high-power mode to be used (at user risk, preferred USB 3.0 only, etc.) and a reason why the RGB board runs both headers for power instead of pass-through.

Those bastards need to do a drop on the tenkeyless CODE right now. I'd finally steeled myself to learning a US layout and decided on tenkeyless and then they relaunch the drop on the tenkey only. It's driving me mad.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

chippy posted:

Those bastards need to do a drop on the tenkeyless CODE right now. I'd finally steeled myself to learning a US layout and decided on tenkeyless and then they relaunch the drop on the tenkey only. It's driving me mad.

You can start a poll to see if there's enough interest to start a drop. TKL's seem to be fairly popular in this thread, so I wouldn't be surprised if it gets enough people interested.

Speaking of, I think I may just jump on the Code being offered. As much as I like my CM Quickfire TK, there's a piece of software that I use that doesn't seem to play nicely with it. When I hit scroll lock twice, it causes the numlock to either turn on or off. It only seems to happen with this piece of software, as I can hit scroll lock multiple times when that window is out of focus and that behavior doesn't happen. Weird.

It's a minor nitpick, but it can be annoying when you're in a hurry. Plus, in the near future I'm going to have to be moving into a smallish room with multiple people and I don't think they'd appreciate the sound of my Cherry blues.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Aphrodite posted:

The lighting options on the K70 RGB are pretty silly.

I made an EKG, a scanning Cylon/Knight Rider light, and the James Bond gunshot intro.

And when I press a key, Captain America's shield appears.

I'm gonna order one of them this week I think.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Once they (hopefully) add in support for delays and timers it should get even sillier. For the Bond intro thing what I had to do was create a gradient that is blank until about 6 seconds into its duration. It was trial and error fooling with values to get the right timing.

Full on keyboard light shows.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

TWBalls posted:

You can start a poll to see if there's enough interest to start a drop. TKL's seem to be fairly popular in this thread, so I wouldn't be surprised if it gets enough people interested.

There's already a poll and an old listing for the tenkeyless that has around 250 request for it to be relisted, so hopefully it will at some point. I think the tenkey one had a similar number before it went live again. I don't really understand how Massdrop works.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.
I'm not sure I see what the issue with the detachable USB cable being mini USB is? USB type B would be too large, micro would be too small, and type A to type A cables are pretty uncommon, so that leaves mini-B as the only real choice if you want a detachable cable. The CODE uses it as well.

As for the Poker II MX Clears... I kinda regret getting it. Not because it's bad in any way, but mostly because I just don't know there's ever any situation where I'll actually *want* to use a 60% layout keyboard.

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!

GokieKS posted:

I'm not sure I see what the issue with the detachable USB cable being mini USB is? USB type B would be too large, micro would be too small, and type A to type A cables are pretty uncommon, so that leaves mini-B as the only real choice if you want a detachable cable. The CODE uses it as well.

As for the Poker II MX Clears... I kinda regret getting it. Not because it's bad in any way, but mostly because I just don't know there's ever any situation where I'll actually *want* to use a 60% layout keyboard.

It's just weird because I don't think I've seen another usb device in the last 5 years that uses mini USB.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

It's just weird because I don't think I've seen another usb device in the last 5 years that uses mini USB.

We still have some blackberry devices at work that are old and use them. Beyond that, I've got some external USB drives and some cheapy wifi adapters that use them.

I did end up joining the drop for the Code keyboard. Can't wait to try it. When it finally does, I'll likely clean up this Quickfire TK and put it up for sale in SA Mart.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Well, mini-A and mini-B are deprecated and no longer recommend for use by the USB-IF as of May 2007.

So that's why barely any new devices use it. It should not be used. Only full size B or micro B.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Sep 16, 2014

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
What's really irritating is it's hard for me to find neat-looking cables for my keyboard. I'm not going to spend $50 for those loving custom made ones though.

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!

HalloKitty posted:

Well, mini-A and mini-B are deprecated and no longer recommend for use by the USB-IF as of May 2007.

So that's why barely any new devices use it. It should not be used. Only full size B or micro B.

Mini-B isn't deprecated, only mini-A and mini-AB.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
More to the point, why would micro be too small? The size difference between mini and micro is pretty negligible.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The only thing I see with mini anymore are PS3 controllers, which are 10 years old but still being manufactured.

My mother's GPS uses it too but it's also quite old.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

chippy posted:

More to the point, why would micro be too small? The size difference between mini and micro is pretty negligible.

The plug is a lot less rigid and secure because of the smaller size. You can easily bend and break a micro USB plug by pulling the cable up near where it's plugged in; it's much harder to do with mini B.

Also, I got in the orange Cherry MX LED covers last night and installed them on my CODE. It works pretty well, though I'm a little unsure if I really want to keep the color scheme. This is not exactly accurate as it looks less yellow and more orange in reality, but here's a picture:

I'm tempted to go back to white backlight and just get 1 blue LED cover and use blue/orange for the Portal keycaps, though that would've worked better if the keyboard was white rather than black.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

GokieKS posted:

The plug is a lot less rigid and secure because of the smaller size. You can easily bend and break a micro USB plug by pulling the cable up near where it's plugged in; it's much harder to do with mini B.

Also, I got in the orange Cherry MX LED covers last night and installed them on my CODE. It works pretty well, though I'm a little unsure if I really want to keep the color scheme. This is not exactly accurate as it looks less yellow and more orange in reality, but here's a picture:

I'm tempted to go back to white backlight and just get 1 blue LED cover and use blue/orange for the Portal keycaps, though that would've worked better if the keyboard was white rather than black.

Where did you get the portal keys?

And do you think they would be available for UTron sized topre caps? The only problem I've had with this board is my inability to find novelty keys. :saddowns:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
I finally got my hands on a Matias Quiet Pro Mac and it's great. I find that I make the same muscle memory mistakes, so it's pretty much the same size as my old keyboard (except the caps lock key is a little smaller now). I just have a quick question about the volume hotkey: you could adjust the volume with F16-18 on the Mac keyboards from the 2000s, and it even worked on Windows, but this new one seems to use fn to adjust the volume, laptop style, and MS doesn't seem too keen on picking up on fn inputs. Is there any way to rebind that for Windows?

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

leper khan posted:

Where did you get the portal keys?

And do you think they would be available for UTron sized topre caps? The only problem I've had with this board is my inability to find novelty keys. :saddowns:

They're these, but I got them through Massdrop. And they're specifically for MX switches like most custom keycaps - I don't think I've ever seen any custom Topre keycaps beyond standard key designs, and even those are really uncommon.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

And I'll probably buy a replacement spacebar because I don't like the "Enjoy your feeling" message :v:

They were supposed to ship with a blank spare. Contact Massdrop, they must have hosed up. Again.

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!

Rime posted:

They were supposed to ship with a blank spare. Contact Massdrop, they must have hosed up. Again.

I don't see anything about this on the drop page? Then again they didn't mention the coloured mod keys that came either so...

I'll check my box when I get home, entirely possible there is a spare in there and I didn't notice!

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

I don't see anything about this on the drop page? Then again they didn't mention the coloured mod keys that came either so...

I'll check my box when I get home, entirely possible there is a spare in there and I didn't notice!

IIRC it was confirmed in the comments. I've never heard of a poker, or any keyboard for that matter, shipping without a replacement spacebar.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.
I don't think the Massdrop version ever said they were going to come with a blank space bar.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Would custom keycaps like those Portal keycaps fit my G710+? The caps Logitech provided are breaking as I previously posted about, so I'd love to get some more solid caps if there exists better out there.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

ilifinicus posted:

Would custom keycaps like those Portal keycaps fit my G710+? The caps Logitech provided are breaking as I previously posted about, so I'd love to get some more solid caps if there exists better out there.

yes, technically. Bottom row key caps are always tricky tho.

According this guy on reddit:

code:
Keys	[LCTRL]	[WIN]	[LALT]	[SPACE]	[RALT]	[WIN]	[MENU]	[RCTRL]
G710+	1.5	1	1.25	6.5	1.25	1	1	1.5

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
The Logitech g910 RGB mechanical is now officially a thing. Boy, that's a weird wrist rest. This is something I'd probably want to actually test a bit before buying, because $180 is a lot of coin to drop on something sight-unseen with custom keycaps and an apparently custom switch design.

http://gaming.logitech.com/en-us/product/rgb-gaming-keyboard-g910

Skiant
Mar 10, 2013

kefkafloyd posted:

The Logitech g910 RGB mechanical is now officially a thing. Boy, that's a weird wrist rest. This is something I'd probably want to actually test a bit before buying, because $180 is a lot of coin to drop on something sight-unseen with custom keycaps and an apparently custom switch design.

http://gaming.logitech.com/en-us/product/rgb-gaming-keyboard-g910

That thing is :pcgaming: as gently caress.
The product page is so full of marketing bullshit you'd think it's a parody.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

What the hell are those switches? Romer-G? Sounds like a rapper name.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

ilifinicus posted:

What the hell are those switches? Romer-G? Sounds like a rapper name.

Omrons. They appear to have bought out the rights to some long discontinued Taiwanese switch design and updated it.

http://imgur.com/a/2sezq

In other news, I got my Poker II last night and Massdrop stiffed me on the keycap puller. There was no spacebar either, but it was only mentioned in the comments so I can only go bitch at them about the puller being missing. The Poker had multiple keys falling off or only half-mounted, I can't say I'll ever be using Massdrop again given how many times they've dropped the ball.

Rime fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Sep 17, 2014

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies
Perhaps I'm missing something, but I'm not sure how this is Massdrop's fault. They're basically just a middleman. They place the order, the bulk order arrives, they then re-box the products to go out to the individual orders. Do you think they're going through the boxes and stealing spacebars and keycap pullers?

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
They've hosed up other orders in the past unrelated to mechanical keyboards, I'm fed up with them.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Jesus christ, they made Tron: The Keyboard.

I have doubts about those angled keycaps though. Maybe they're ok for gaming but for typing I think they'd take some getting used to.

TWBalls posted:

Perhaps I'm missing something, but I'm not sure how this is Massdrop's fault. They're basically just a middleman. They place the order, the bulk order arrives, they then re-box the products to go out to the individual orders.
I suspect the way they do one-off bulk orders means that the manufacturers have reason to cut corners. They're not getting as much money as they'd get from botique stores, but they're not getting the consistent volume that an Amazon or big outlet does either. Not exactly Massdrop's fault, but when you buy stuff at giant discounts there's always a catch.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Klyith posted:

I suspect the way they do one-off bulk orders means that the manufacturers have reason to cut corners. They're not getting as much money as they'd get from botique stores, but they're not getting the consistent volume that an Amazon or big outlet does either. Not exactly Massdrop's fault, but when you buy stuff at giant discounts there's always a catch.

See, that's what I'm suspecting is that it's the MFG that's at fault, not Massdrop. Personally, the only issue that I've encountered (so far) was a glass-lined thermal carafe from a Bona Vita coffee maker. The glass lining exploded the first time I brewed a pot of coffee. A quick Google search shows this to be a known issue with that coffee maker. Thankfully the manufacturer was pretty good about shipping me their revised replacement which uses a stainless steel lining.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

Wasabi the J posted:

yes, technically. Bottom row key caps are always tricky tho.

According this guy on reddit:

code:
Keys	[LCTRL]	[WIN]	[LALT]	[SPACE]	[RALT]	[WIN]	[MENU]	[RCTRL]
G710+	1.5	1	1.25	6.5	1.25	1	1	1.5

The Portal ones actually come in both 1.25 and 1.5 sizes, so it should fit most Cherry MX keyboards.

Also, whoever at Logitech's marketing team thought "Romer-G" was a good name for switches need to be demoted.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Klyith posted:

I have doubts about those angled keycaps though. Maybe they're ok for gaming but for typing I think they'd take some getting used to.

They're very in-your-face, but I don't see them as being significantly worse than keycaps that have been used in the past (cylinder caps, I believe they're called?).

The ARX control thing seems like the most unusual part of the keyboard; they've ditched the little LCD screen that never really gained traction instead for a smartphone dock. We'll have to wait and see if this becomes any better supported than the old LCD though.

Diddie
Sep 1, 2001

What the heck is going on in here???

Brock Landers posted:

I'd be using it for typing only. I'd be curious to hear your impressions after a weeks worth of usage.

I found the 55g a little too stiff so I got a HHKB and am very happy. It's a good bit of money to spend, so I'd recommend getting one of those MX samplers. I've only had browns and Topres just feel more substantial, but clears may be close enough that the difference in price is not worth it.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Diddie posted:

I found the 55g a little too stiff so I got a HHKB and am very happy. It's a good bit of money to spend, so I'd recommend getting one of those MX samplers. I've only had browns and Topres just feel more substantial, but clears may be close enough that the difference in price is not worth it.

Looking at your board I assume you have some unused yellow caps in your possession. Would you like to sell any?

Diddie
Sep 1, 2001

What the heck is going on in here???

Wasabi the J posted:

Looking at your board I assume you have some unused yellow caps in your possession. Would you like to sell any?

Sure, I'll send you a PM

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I just caught Razer Synapse writing 30Mb/s to my SSD. It looks to have run away like this for days. I'm over 200TB in about 37 days.

So if you needed another reason not to buy Razer products, there's one. It will literally kill other manufacturer's products.

Also the K70 RGB has lag problems that are making writing this post pretty annoying. Probably something that can be fixed in firmware, but something to be aware of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Aphrodite posted:

I just caught Razer Synapse writing 30Mb/s to my SSD. It looks to have run away like this for days. I'm over 200TB in about 37 days.

That's, what, 2-5 years of life off your SSD? Holy gently caress. :psyduck:

• Locked thread