Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

So while I'm loving this keyboard (KUL-87 with Browns,) I'm really regretting not picking up the MX Clears model instead. The switches are so light, and I'm so used to rubber domes, that I bottom out 9/10 times, which I gather is less than ideal. Is there any advice for how to keep from bottoming out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

everythingWasBees posted:

So while I'm loving this keyboard (KUL-87 with Browns,) I'm really regretting not picking up the MX Clears model instead. The switches are so light, and I'm so used to rubber domes, that I bottom out 9/10 times, which I gather is less than ideal. Is there any advice for how to keep from bottoming out?

Mindfulness and practice until you do it naturally. If you're used to rubber domes, you should expect to bottom out because doing so is necessary for them.

Try pressing a key slowly/individually to see where it actuates. Then try typing slowly making an effort to not bottom out. Eventually you'll just get a feel for it.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Buck Turgidson posted:

Does anyone here type with DVORAK? How difficult is it to learn? Can you switch back and forth without problems?

I switched when I was at school on a whim, and used it solely for the last 13+ years or so (although now I use my own custom variant which moves a few keys).

I can still use QWERTY fine, and did commonly, on other work PCs. (Although my own work PC was using my layout).

You may enjoy Colemak, thoug; which wasn't around when I switched, keeps ZXCV in their places and seems to keep a QWERTY-like look.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

everythingWasBees posted:

I approached it from the other direction when I first got my Filco with Browns - I started off typing extremely lightly, really only lightly tapping the keys, and then gradually increased force until I wasn't missing keystrokes.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
OK, random question regarding US layouts. Does anyone know the historical reason that the \ | key is considered important enough that it needs to be larger than any other character key on the keyboard?

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

chippy posted:

OK, random question regarding US layouts. Does anyone know the historical reason that the \ | key is considered important enough that it needs to be larger than any other character key on the keyboard?

I know that Shift and Caps Lock were originally literally latching switches that required quite a bit of force (relatively speaking), more than some could comfortably apply with one finger. It kinda seems like "\|" was enlarged to fill space for aesthetic and manufacturing reasons. And, of course, different brands place it differently; some use a larger key than others, though non-standard layouts aren't exactly out of the ordinary, weird as that is to say.

Still, if somebody is a mega keyboard historian and has this answer ready to go, I'd like to hear it as well.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

chippy posted:

Not a computer historian, but my understanding is as follows:

The Enter key used to run across two rows, with the \ key next to the ' key (so the Enter key was a sort of upside-down L shape). That fell out of use in favor of a single-row Enter key, exchanging positions with the ' key. There isn't enough room to have two standard sized keys above the Enter key, so the \ key was widened to fill the gap.

Why not shorten the entire right side, since Backspace and rShift are all longer than usual? Probably because of the modifier keys below dictating how much space you need to use. I've never seriously used Menu or the right-hand Win key, and the right-hand Ctrl/Alt only for a one-handed Ctrl-Alt-Del, but I guess if you're making full-size keyboards, adhering to the legacy conventions doesn't cost you much and there's probably people out there who have actually trained themselves to use those keys.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Hmm. Interesting. I was wondering if it was just something as simple as backslashes formerly being used a lot for typing file paths in DOS command prompts.

A lot of countries still use the L-shaped enter key. UK for sure and most European layouts I think. The backslash is located to the left of the Z key. That's actually pretty much the only problem I'm having adjusting to a US layout - it would seem that I'm used to hitting the top part of the enter key, since I keep typing backslashes instead.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Yeah, I don't know why exactly the \ key moved, just that it did. Maybe it was a production costs thing, maybe it was a usability study? Not really sure.

It's the layouts where they have the massive Enter key while moving the \ key to the top row by shortening the Backspace that annoy the hell out of me though. Works fine until I make a mistake and then I'm in a downward spiral as I'm adding slashes instead of backing up. :argh:

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!
Re: clears and gaming, the only time I've noticed fatigue is when I'm playing something where I am consistently having to hold down modifier keys with my left hand (like holding shift/ctrl to sprint/crouch in an fps, etc). I think it's because I hit it with my pinky finger, and holding a key down with clears requires a decent amount of force. I actually keep a tkl with browns off to the side just in case (and also because I have too many keyboards).

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance
Well, my Cooler Master Novatouch TKL has arrived and it types beautifully. I like the detachable USB cable; it's something I'm always worried about with my RealForce 104UB. It also doesn't have any lights which is great because my biggest complaint with my RealForce is that the blue lights are so drat bright they can be seen from space.

I'm new to the whole MX keycap thing; are there things I have to worry about in terms of modifier key lengths or anything other than picking the correct country keyboard layout? Can I just pick something up from WASD Keyboards?

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

fookolt posted:

I'm new to the whole MX keycap thing; are there things I have to worry about in terms of modifier key lengths or anything other than picking the correct country keyboard layout? Can I just pick something up from WASD Keyboards?

Country layout, and size of some keys (Ctrl, Alt, Windows, and Space, usually) - some are 1.25x, some are 1.5x, etc.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

fookolt posted:

Well, my Cooler Master Novatouch TKL has arrived and it types beautifully. I like the detachable USB cable; it's something I'm always worried about with my RealForce 104UB. It also doesn't have any lights which is great because my biggest complaint with my RealForce is that the blue lights are so drat bright they can be seen from space.

There don't tend to be a lot of people with Topre's so I'm curious if you've had the chance to compare them with Cherry's at some point and what you use them for (typing, games, etc). They're something I'd like to try but they're expensive. :smith:

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

El Scotch posted:

There don't tend to be a lot of people with Topre's so I'm curious if you've had the chance to compare them with Cherry's at some point and what you use them for (typing, games, etc). They're something I'd like to try but they're expensive. :smith:

Unfortunately, I've only used Cherry MX Brown switches, Topre switches, and custom ALPS switches (from the Matias Quiet Pro). I do a lot of typing and gaming with my keyboard and I overwhelmingly prefer Topre. I wish I could better explain my preference; I just feel like how quiet they can be and how smooth they feel.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

fookolt posted:

Unfortunately, I've only used Cherry MX Brown switches, Topre switches, and custom ALPS switches (from the Matias Quiet Pro). I do a lot of typing and gaming with my keyboard and I overwhelmingly prefer Topre. I wish I could better explain my preference; I just feel like how quiet they can be and how smooth they feel.

I'm finding the reds on my k70 to be a bit light for my liking. There's a lot to love about the k70, but I can't type as well as I'd like on the reds.

I've been musing trying something with clears or greens, but the novatouch caught my eye too.

Decisions, man.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

El Scotch posted:

I'm finding the reds on my k70 to be a bit light for my liking. There's a lot to love about the k70, but I can't type as well as I'd like on the reds.

I've been musing trying something with clears or greens, but the novatouch caught my eye too.

Decisions, man.

If it helps, I found the Topre switch to be very light.

I know what you mean though! I took a chance and dropped $240 on my RealForce despite never using a Topre keyboard before.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Just a word of warning, I have had my k65 RGB for a while now and I cannot use the software that comes with it. If I install the software my system lags, and it always says that my keyboards state is "malfunction" I have flashed my keyboards software, and I have uninstalled and reinstalled the corsair software to no avail. So currently my keyboard sits unlit and dishonored, though it still works perfectly as a good mechanical keyboard, just without all the fancy colors and utilities.

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Alright, who let Rube Goldberg in here?
That sounds like something to contact Corsair support over.

I had an issue where it suddenly started slightly lagging my system on keypress out of nowhere when it had effects enabled, but reinstalling the software solved it for me.

akiyba
Jan 28, 2009
The Poker II with Clears is up on Massdrop again.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/kbc-poker-2-clear?mode=guest_open

akiyba fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Oct 22, 2014

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

akiyba posted:

The Poker II with Clears is up on Massdrop again.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/kbc-poker-2-clear

Won't somebody think of the childrenpeople who wanted a unique keyboard?!

vivisecting
Dec 13, 2012

it's been 15 years but im still upset that yamato became an astronaut and yet absolutely no one joined the federation since thats actually more plausible than that ending
Hello! I'm looking for a new gaming keyboard for mostly WoW. These are the things that I think I want:

Wishlist:
-rbg
-breathing, pulse lighting options, stuff like that
-red cherry
-side usb
-multimedia buttons
-lcd screen might be cool?

Budget: $200ish CAD

I saw this on a local buy and sell website for $150: http://www.madcatz.com/strike7/ I really like the different arrangement options BUT: it's too masculine, has dedicated teamspeak (we use mumble), doesn't seem to do the rainbow thing, doesn't seem to do the lighting options, has simulated mechanical keys, I hate that dumb Mad Catz logo...

Pros: has TWO usb? Below price??

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac

vivisecting posted:

Hello! I'm looking for a new gaming keyboard for mostly WoW. These are the things that I think I want:

Wishlist:
-rbg
-breathing, pulse lighting options, stuff like that
-red cherry
-side usb
-multimedia buttons
-lcd screen might be cool?

Budget: $200ish CAD

I saw this on a local buy and sell website for $150: http://www.madcatz.com/strike7/ I really like the different arrangement options BUT: it's too masculine, has dedicated teamspeak (we use mumble), doesn't seem to do the rainbow thing, doesn't seem to do the lighting options, has simulated mechanical keys, I hate that dumb Mad Catz logo...

Pros: has TWO usb? Below price??

Corsair K70 has nearly everything you want. The firmware is still buggy, but it should be fine for you needs.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Knifegrab posted:

Just a word of warning, I have had my k65 RGB for a while now and I cannot use the software that comes with it. If I install the software my system lags, and it always says that my keyboards state is "malfunction" I have flashed my keyboards software, and I have uninstalled and reinstalled the corsair software to no avail. So currently my keyboard sits unlit and dishonored, though it still works perfectly as a good mechanical keyboard, just without all the fancy colors and utilities.

New software/firmware should be out before the end of the month.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Don Lapre posted:

New software/firmware should be out before the end of the month.

What is your source on this? I just exchanged my old keyboard for a new one and the problem is still there so its definitely the terrible software.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac

Knifegrab posted:

What is your source on this? I just exchanged my old keyboard for a new one and the problem is still there so its definitely the terrible software.

The extremely long thread on corsair's forums about the LED issues recently had a post about it from corsair's devs.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Knifegrab posted:

Dev posted it on corsair forums

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
The stabilizer in the right shift key on my K70 is feeling extraordinarily sluggish. Is this something I can fix myself?

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Slowhanded posted:

Corsair K70 has nearly everything you want. The firmware is still buggy, but it should be fine for you needs.

The K70 does not have any USB ports, I don't think? It's at home now, I can't check.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

AlternateAccount posted:

The K70 does not have any USB ports, I don't think? It's at home now, I can't check.

The K70 does, the K70 RGB does not.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Instant Grat posted:

The K70 does, the K70 RGB does not.

Oops, that's what I meant!

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Trip report on my monoprice mx black gaming blah blah

loving heavy for a keyboard. I could probably beat someone to death with it. Solid construction. Usb connection good for headphones and whatever.

The actual keyboard rules. I don't need to slam the keys to type and its super quiet and responsive. No macros or poo poo like that but it feels wonderful.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Instant Grat posted:

The stabilizer in the right shift key on my K70 is feeling extraordinarily sluggish. Is this something I can fix myself?

Lookup modifying cherry stabilizers

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

ZenVulgarity posted:

Trip report on my monoprice mx black gaming blah blah

loving heavy for a keyboard. I could probably beat someone to death with it. Solid construction. Usb connection good for headphones and whatever.

The actual keyboard rules. I don't need to slam the keys to type and its super quiet and responsive. No macros or poo poo like that but it feels wonderful.

Thanks, I've been kinda eyeballing those as they're cheap as hell for a mechanical. I'll have to order one with Blues when they're back in stock.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Finally bit the bullet and ordered a K95 RGB. I play terrible games (MMOs) and after my G15 died I've been using a back-up rubberdome Trust, and it has loving Fn keys that cause me to alt-tab if I ever try using any shortcuts. I miss my macros. :cry:

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Just a heads up that Newegg has the Logitech G710 on sale. It's like the G710+ but it's got Cherry Blue MX switches instead of browns. I think it's new?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...6-377-_-Product
$89.99 before an extra $9 off with Visa Checkout
Logitech G710 Mechanical Keyboard (Cherry MX Blue) - $80.99 + Free Shipping @ Newegg w/ Visa Checkout

https://slickdeals.net/f/7283534-logitech-g710-mechanical-keyboard-cherry-mx-blue-80-99-free-shipping-newegg-w-visa-checkout?v=1

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

ZenVulgarity posted:

loving heavy for a keyboard. I could probably beat someone to death with it.

Hah, that's exactly how I described my Filco when it first arrived.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

chippy posted:

Hah, that's exactly how I described my Filco when it first arrived.

Literally the first thing I thought of

vivisecting
Dec 13, 2012

it's been 15 years but im still upset that yamato became an astronaut and yet absolutely no one joined the federation since thats actually more plausible than that ending

Slowhanded posted:

Thanks for the input! I did some more research on the k70 RGB, and it looks great, but I honestly don't think I have the time to figure out that GUI. I have a lot of school stuff due over the next month and a bit so I'd rather spend my spare time playing Warlords and Inquisition than figuring out some keyboard.

Does anyone have the g510s? http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/part/logitech-keyboard-920004967 I found a refurbished one at my local best buy. It seems to have almost everything I want except the breathing/pulse stuff but that was kind of a dumb, minor need anyway. And it's not mechanical, but I've never actually touched a mechanical keyboard in my life. It doesn't have a side USB either, but it does have a audio/mic jack which is fine for my headset.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

MX Reds are the lightest for gaming right? So they should be better for avoiding fatigue?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alo
May 1, 2005

For the past decade and a half, I've used a Model M (at home, at work). It's great, I love it. I don't have any issues with noise and I absolutely love the feel of the keys.

I'd just like something a bit smaller without the numpad (that doesn't cost 300 dollars). I realize there are numerous keyswitch types -- so which, if any, is closest to the M's buckling spring?

• Locked thread