Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

caberham posted:

Nice keyboards are nice. Heck people here paid 10 bux to post in an internet forum, might as well spend some more when we are facing computers all day long. It's the internet so it's so easy to find people who like to :spergin: about all sorts of hobbies

It's a cool video! I do wonder if they actually replace their force actuators frequently enough though. They claim that the switches can last a 50 million times but if the puncher gets dulled they can easily cook the numbers up to prove 100 million actuations. And their factory could have been produced in China but because of EU product laws, the final product must be made in the EU and produced in Germany for the company contracts. So most of the parts are sourced from China.

It's a great video and I hope you guys appreciate the work people go through to make your everyday product. A 2 cent cost increase overall increase is not as simple just spending some money. Everything has to be tested and validated, supply chain partners have to be notified, etc...

One thing I do want to ask, which part in the keyboard is the most prone to failure? Is it the main PCB breaking down due to humidity? Or the stabilizer wires?

It depends on the keyboard manufacturer (some have specific build problems) but for the majority of cherry mx keyboards it seems like the main failure is a user dumping a drink in it and not attempting to fix it. Aside from that there's the normal cable/plug failures but I've got 30 year old cherry boards that were in a paint shop on a terminal from 1984 until it went to a recycler at some point. I bought it on ebay and using Soarer's WYSE converter firmware for a teensy microcontroller it works perfectly as a PC USB keyboard and has no hardware issues.

Switches do wear and have different feel after time but they can also be desoldered and replaced if need be. You can also open them up and replace the stem/spring and contacts if you want.

As a related anecdote, my father's using an NEC mechanical keyboard from a 386 or something that's been around for 20+ years. He mentioned the left arrow key wasn't working a couple of weeks back so I cleaned it a bit and shot some deoxit contact cleaner into the switch and worked the switch a bit and it's back in business for another however many years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Rexxed posted:

Switches do wear and have different feel after time but they can also be desoldered and replaced if need be. You can also open them up and replace the stem/spring and contacts if you want.

Someone on reddit has replaced his springs with magnets.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Don Lapre posted:

I liked the one Ben Heck show episode when he added analog functionality to his wasd keys (controlled from a hacked up xbox controller).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEwDImE0DU4

He's got a nice budget for show production and neat equipment.

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.

Don Lapre posted:

Do you mean like opposing magnets instead of a solid spring, or using magnets for sensing key movement (like Rexxed posted)?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

rarbatrol posted:

Do you mean like opposing magnets instead of a solid spring, or using magnets for sensing key movement (like Rexxed posted)?

Opposing magnets instead of a solid spring. So you get gradual resistance as you push down.
http://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/2keuyy/modification_cherry_mmx_swap_your_springs_for/

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Don Lapre posted:

Opposing magnets instead of a solid spring. So you get gradual resistance as you push down.
http://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/2keuyy/modification_cherry_mmx_swap_your_springs_for/

Why not just buy a keyboard that uses Hall effect sensors, like the DataHand?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

leper khan posted:

Why not just buy a keyboard that uses Hall effect sensors, like the DataHand?

Well, they're weird and expensive... but then again I guess so is modding your keyboard. I'd be more inclined to mod a standard keyboard than use something very different, personally. I mean I get they're not for people who are fine with a regular keyboard and luckily I haven't had RSI bad enough to require more than a wrist rest. I remember the Datahand from a computer festival in the mid 90s, I'm kind of amazed they're still around.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

Agreed posted:

Well, I'm clearly heading down the rabbit hole. Got in on that Massdrop for the Vertex PBT/POM backlight compatible, OEM-profile keycaps that they did a few weeks back. They came in, and I think they're awesome. Feels so much better than the already better-than-I'm-used-to CODE default keycaps, and white backlit keys on a black keyboard looks cool :3:

I got in on that drop too. Also in on the keycool rainboy keycaps.

So happy they're 108 sets. Gonna rock when my Duck Shine 3 white edition arrives.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.
Okay, so yesterday I got a new SSD and did a fresh install of Windows. I reinstalled the Corsair software for the K70 RGB and updated the firmware when it prompted me to.

The light that was "burned out" after 7 days now works like it did out of the box.

So I guess that Corsair has been working on things and that they finally figured out the LED situation! It's been almost two months now with no for real burnouts! :buddy:

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Rexxed posted:

Well, they're weird and expensive... but then again I guess so is modding your keyboard. I'd be more inclined to mod a standard keyboard than use something very different, personally. I mean I get they're not for people who are fine with a regular keyboard and luckily I haven't had RSI bad enough to require more than a wrist rest. I remember the Datahand from a computer festival in the mid 90s, I'm kind of amazed they're still around.

:( They aren't.

I tried to order one a couple years ago and eventually they told me they were out of production.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

KingEup posted:

I got in on that drop too. Also in on the keycool rainboy keycaps.

So happy they're 108 sets. Gonna rock when my Duck Shine 3 white edition arrives.

I like the rainbow keycaps and am considering picking some up to dot in among my white keycaps in a sort of fade-in kinda thing. Nobody else is gonna give a poo poo but it seems neat to me.

oh christ this is going to fleece me

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Agreed posted:

I like the rainbow keycaps and am considering picking some up to dot in among my white keycaps in a sort of fade-in kinda thing. Nobody else is gonna give a poo poo but it seems neat to me.

oh christ this is going to fleece me

In the last month or so I've bought an IBM Model F, Dolch replica keycaps, another CM Storm quickfire rapid but with green switches, and I signed up for the massdrop of the Infinity keyboard so I can maybe reuse some old complicated white ALPS switches that I love. I've decided no more keyboard stuff until the new small unicomp. I have a problem. Gotta tap them keeeeeys.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
So I got my first mechanical keyboard (Corsair k70 MX Blue) and I am basically obsessed with it. I love it so much.

I want something similar for work but (1) I don't think I can convince my boss to buy me a mechanical keyboard and (2) I don't want to drop another $140 on a work keyboard. Can someone recommend a similar, cheaper option with blue switches? I assume I would need USB because our work computers are fairly new.

If this has been asked recently, I apologize. Thanks in advance.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
You shouldn't inflict the noise of Cherry MX switches on your coworkers, unless you have a private office. It is distracting and increases the stress of the workplace.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
I have an office.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:

beergod posted:

I have an office.

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?p_id=9433

be as annoying as you wish then.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
Out of stock. Do they come in stock with some regularity?

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies
That particular one won't be until Dec. 9th. I'm waiting for it as well.

Also, my keycaps came in (I also got in on that Massdrop PBT/POM doubleshot keys). They feel fantastic. I don't use the backlighting on my keyboard, so the lighting issue that GokieKS mentioned didn't bother me. However, I did notice that some of the lettering on the keys are a bit hard to see. For example: Pipe/backslash, Colon/Semi-Colon, single/double quote and the right parenthesis on the 6 key are all kinda difficult to see compared to all of the others. Here again, that doesn't bother me too much since I touch type.

For me, the more important thing is the fact that they feel better and with the texture they have, they seem to match the keyboard a bit better (The shell has a texture to it, whereas the stock keys were more of a smooth plastic).

Looking at Agreed's pics, I kinda wish I had been able to get those white (grey?) keys. Those look great on the Code keyboard. Hopefully they'll have another drop and I can get them then.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Oh god these green switches are so heavy. I'm in love. It makes the click mechanism in the stem, which should be identical to the blues, feel a bit smoother and less high pitched, too. They're still snappier sounding than buckling springs but they're pretty amazing overall. I don't know what to build the infinity kit with anymore, I like too many switches.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

sarehu posted:

You shouldn't inflict the noise of Cherry MX switches on your coworkers, unless you have a private office. It is distracting and increases the stress of the workplace.

I disagree unless your office is particularly quiet.
Even loud switches are nothing compared to people on the phone and having discussions. (except for the fact that they are novel for a short time)

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

beergod posted:

So I got my first mechanical keyboard (Corsair k70 MX Blue) and I am basically obsessed with it. I love it so much.

I want something similar for work but (1) I don't think I can convince my boss to buy me a mechanical keyboard and (2) I don't want to drop another $140 on a work keyboard. Can someone recommend a similar, cheaper option with blue switches? I assume I would need USB because our work computers are fairly new.

If you want one faster but slightly more money than that monoprice board, there are these options on newegg:
CM rapid (tenkeyless)
CM quickfire XT (fullsize)
Rosewill rk-9100 (backlit)
The 2 CMs are good Costar OEM make boards, aka slightly better quality than the monoprice one. That particular rosewill is an iRocks OEM so about the same as the monoprice.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

sarehu posted:

It depends on your workplace really. I work in an company with only 8 full-time staff and 3 of us use mechanical keyboards - clears, blues and reds. Plus blue guy and red guy have no typing finesse at all (unlike me :smuggo:) and just pound the poo poo out their boards. No one minds.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
Want an absolutely enormous laptop with a keyboard full of Cherry MX Browns?

MSI has you covered.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
That's mental. It's not even tenkeyless.

Skiant
Mar 10, 2013

HalloKitty posted:

MSI has you covered.

:pcgaming: at its best.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

chippy posted:

That's mental. It's not even tenkeyless.

The tenkey is a capacitive touchpad on God's true hand side.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Still using my ps/2 port with a Dell keyboard. IBM's keyboard is not indestructible I learned this the easy way.

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007
Are there any 60%s with MX Clears besides the contentious Poker II? I'm looking for something portable but missed the Massdrop on them :(

NovaLion
Jun 2, 2013

REMEMBER
Speaking of, is there any chance to get a backlit Poker II with Clears? I missed the Massdrop a few months ago.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

I had a bit of a play around with Corsair's RGB keyboards on the weekend and while I love the physical design they were a bit too gaudy for me - they were in full show mode but I really don't need that level of customisation.

I'm after a full size board with MX Browns, I'd also like basic media keys play/pause, next, previous, volume & mute. Price isn't important, I'd prefer good build quality and something that will last.

Is there anything wrong with considering the regular K70 (non RGB) as my best alternative or are there any other suggestions?

I've read that some people were having issues with LED failures/uneven lighting etc. is this still an issue?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
So far as I can tell it still is. Supposedly shipping the new keyboards with a firmware that causes them to take more amps was supposed to help but from looking at their boards I can't tell if it's done anything. I have an early one and it has a ton of dead LEDs (like at least a dozen, probably more but I just turned them off). Still, I like the keyboard. I've been waiting for the RGB to be out for a while, considering picking it up if they fare better.

Lolcano Eruption
Oct 29, 2007
Volcano of LOL.
I think only the ones with blue LEDs had the dying issue. If you get one with red LEDs you should be fine.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

The corsairs don't have exposed LEDs so they should be more durable.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Don Lapre posted:

The corsairs don't have exposed LEDs so they should be more durable.
That's just the new RGB, the regular k70 is the same old big led build into the switch.

Lolcano Eruption posted:

I think only the ones with blue LEDs had the dying issue. If you get one with red LEDs you should be fine.
Could have sworn that one of the goons here with some dead leds had a board from when they only made them in red.

Personally I think it's an issue for all backlit keyboards, possibly excepting the new versions with surface-mount leds but even then maybe not. Take 10 random boards and you looking at 1000 leds, a pretty low failure rate will still show up badly. But the way that standard backlit cherries have to use an led is just not the most reliable, the soldering job becomes a major liability. The surface mounted RGBs at least eliminate that problem.

vivisecting
Dec 13, 2012

it's been 15 years but im still upset that yamato became an astronaut and yet absolutely no one joined the federation since thats actually more plausible than that ending

HalloKitty posted:

MSI has you covered.

Gettin real tired of that loving dragon, MSI.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

HalloKitty posted:

MSI has you covered.

I want one of those so in 20 years I can show people a goofy antique like the vesa local bus IDE controller I have somewhere. Maybe it'll be affordable used in 5 or 8 years.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

HalloKitty posted:

MSI has you covered.

If that render is accurate, it doesn't even have a touchpad

what are they smoking...?

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Instant Grat posted:

If that render is accurate, it doesn't even have a touchpad

That numpad on the right is actually a capacitive touchpad, not physical keys. That said, it's a gaming laptop. Who plays game with a touchpad? Would have been better omitting it entirely if you ask me.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

chippy posted:

That numpad on the right is actually a capacitive touchpad, not physical keys. That said, it's a gaming laptop. Who plays game with a touchpad? Would have been better omitting it entirely if you ask me.

Ah yes, because no-one with a :pcgaming: gaming laptop :pcgaming: would ever want to use it for anything other than fragging noobs, and would never find themselves in a situation where bringing along a mouse might be a hassle.

of course, how could i not have realized

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
TBF this IS a gigantic LOOK AT ME laptop with the width of a standard keyboard and mechanical loving klick-klack keys, so maybe subtlety and practicality aren't it's strong suits.

• Locked thread