Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

So I've been using the Das with blues for a few days now and I feel like I'm doing really badly on it, and I'm getting a bit of soreness in my left wrist/forearm.

My typing style is very heavily "left handed" from years of playing M+KB games, and the blue switches are heavy enough that it I'm having lots of issues. I pretty much type with my full left hand but only two fingers on my right.

Should I keep at it and try to relearn how to type properly with my right hand? Or just switch to some Reds like I use at home, and keep on with my "non standard" but works-for-me style?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Deviant posted:

So I've been using the Das with blues for a few days now and I feel like I'm doing really badly on it, and I'm getting a bit of soreness in my left wrist/forearm.

My typing style is very heavily "left handed" from years of playing M+KB games, and the blue switches are heavy enough that it I'm having lots of issues. I pretty much type with my full left hand but only two fingers on my right.

Should I keep at it and try to relearn how to type properly with my right hand? Or just switch to some Reds like I use at home, and keep on with my "non standard" but works-for-me style?

I'm not sure. On one hand it might be worthwhile to try and stick it out for a week or two if you can still return it after that. On the other hand if it is painful, it may be bad to keep it up (I'm not a doctor).

New keyboard day for me. Work was nice enough to buy me a CODE 104-key w/ clears. I kept bringing my personal CODE to work everyday, so this is great. No more forgetting it at work and having to use the old Saitek.

When I got my first CODE, there were some people with off-white LEDs - not sure if that is still a problem, but all the LEDs on this board are white.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

taqueso posted:

I'm not sure. On one hand it might be worthwhile to try and stick it out for a week or two if you can still return it after that. On the other hand if it is painful, it may be bad to keep it up (I'm not a doctor).

I'm also a tad suspicious that the Das might just be too big for me. I use a ducky shine 3 at home and it feels smaller.

I have a Filco Majestouch Ninja coming from amazon and i'm going to give that a try as well. I think I have 30 days.

I'm just glad they make returns easy.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 18:50 on May 14, 2015

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Deviant posted:

I have a similar left hand heavy typing style and have no issues with blue switches.

In as non-insulting a way as I can say it, you've probably got weak finger muscles (they're actually in your forearm). This can lead to a lot of RSI injuries later on so you probably want to either look into strengthening those muscles (grip and extension) or switch to lighter weight switches.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

taqueso posted:

New keyboard day for me. Work was nice enough to buy me a CODE 104-key w/ clears. I kept bringing my personal CODE to work everyday, so this is great. No more forgetting it at work and having to use the old Saitek.

When I got my first CODE, there were some people with off-white LEDs - not sure if that is still a problem, but all the LEDs on this board are white.

Nice, I really wish WASD would offer some kind of printing service for proper CODE transparent keys, I'd give them lots of moneys for it.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Ugh, the more I use this keyboard the more I think I just prefer the feel of Reds. Guess there's no shame in not liking blues.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
I've been thinking about building my own keyboard. What information/purchasing sources can I hit up?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

taqueso posted:

I had an issue with the CODE lighting and posted about it here. The replacement of my original one and the second one I purchased are both less than perfect but at least tolerable. I don't think the way these are made you can even hope to get all keys perfectly white and evenly lit.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

Deviant posted:

So I'm still agonizing over what to get for work.

I think I want clear keycaps though, so that leaves me with:

- Ducky Shine 4 (I don't like the lighting on the new model, pass on this one)
- WASD V2 (I am coming up uninspired on how to customize it)
- WASD Code (Not bad at all)
- Something else I haven't thought of?

But now I'm reading about PBT vs ABS. Is it worth the extra money?

PBT holds it's texture for longer. If smooth ABS keys really irritate you then maybe. If you're getting something backlit the caps will be doubleshot ABS anyway and the legends can't wear away.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Ultimate Mango posted:

I had an issue with the CODE lighting and posted about it here. The replacement of my original one and the second one I purchased are both less than perfect but at least tolerable. I don't think the way these are made you can even hope to get all keys perfectly white and evenly lit.

Yeah, they aren't perfectly evenly lit, keys like -/_ and '/" are dimmer and are on my other one, too. Seems to be the keys that have the transparent part farther from the LED. But, at least all the lights are white, and not green or yellow tinted.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

taqueso posted:

Yeah, they aren't perfectly evenly lit, keys like -/_ and '/" are dimmer and are on my other one, too. Seems to be the keys that have the transparent part farther from the LED. But, at least all the lights are white, and not green or yellow tinted.

On my own CODE, this is less noticable to me on my if I boost the backlighting to the two highest brightnesses, but then it's distractingly bright even during daytime use. It doesn't bother me that parts of the legends aren't well lit when it's set to a lower brightness at all though

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Pulled that trigger on the Das 4 Pro (Cherry Brown switches). While I was dilly-dallying over the decision, the thing seemed to start going out of stock in Australia (looks like they'll get more in June) but :supaburn: I couldn't wait that long and found a shop I haven't bought stuff from before. Hopefully I get it early next week.

Also went in on a Massdrop for some bright green double-shots just for an alt set while I figure out my own design.

I probably should've guessed but I had no idea there was such a weird cult around custom keycaps.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Deviant posted:

To be fair, the QWERTY layout itself gives the left hand a lot of work to do, and puts a lot of useless poo poo on the right hand home row keys.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

HalloKitty posted:

To be fair, the QWERTY layout itself gives the left hand a lot of work to do, and puts a lot of useless poo poo on the right hand home row keys.

This makes sense, but I don't know if it'd be prudent for me to learn a new layout.

I know we all really care about my ongoing saga, but I really prefer this majestouch to the Das. Maybe something about the angle and curve. It seems like it fatigues me less. Now to get some o-rings on it and see how they feel.

...and then exchange it for a TKL. :doh:

Deviant fucked around with this message at 19:55 on May 15, 2015

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
http://www.trademe.co.nz/a.aspx?id=887865738

Can someone at all confirm from those pictures if that is a Code Keyboard?

If so that's a good price minus keycaps right? Especially here in NZ where shipping makes a new one close to $250

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

echinopsis posted:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/a.aspx?id=887865738

Can someone at all confirm from those pictures if that is a Code Keyboard?

If so that's a good price minus keycaps right? Especially here in NZ where shipping makes a new one close to $250

Yeah, that's a CODE. Seems like a good deal, especially if a new one is 5x that price.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Eh I've used TradeMe enough to know it won't go for $50, the best bet I think would be to snag it now for $90 BuyNow (which disappears as soon as someone bids) but I don't really wanna drop $90 so maybe I'll enter the bidding war and kick myself later when it goes above $90

e: new is $282 nzd shipped

echinopsis fucked around with this message at 00:05 on May 16, 2015

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

That buy now price would be good deal in the US, too, I think.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Could anyone name a keyboard that satisfies three of the following features? I'm probably going to buy one next year for my second PC:

Cherry MX Blue (good) or Green (better) switches
Red backlighting
Under $160

So far I haven't found one that scores better than two out of three.

I guess I could buy another Unicomp but it wouldn't look right because I bought red fans and red lighting for this new PC so everything glows red.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Woolie Wool posted:

Could anyone name a keyboard that satisfies three of the following features? I'm probably going to buy one next year for my second PC:

Cherry MX Blue (good) or Green (better) switches
Red backlighting
Under $160

So far I haven't found one that scores better than two out of three.

I guess I could buy another Unicomp but it wouldn't look right because I bought red fans and red lighting for this new PC so everything glows red.

From what I get looking at:
http://www.mechanicalkeyboards.com/search.php?switch_id=10&size=ALL&keyword=&backlit=on&in_stock=on

and

http://www.mechanicalkeyboards.com/...=12&in_stock=on

it looks like the only one is:
http://www.mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=902

I'd consider getting an RGB backlit keyboard and just setting it to red if that's what you want, though. Unfortunately there aren't many made with Green switches, but you could always mod blues with a heavier spring or replace the switches with greens. It's a big pain in the rear end but only has to be done once and you get to improve your soldering skills.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

taqueso posted:

That buy now price would be good deal in the US, too, I think.

And I should have fuckin snagged it because it's only day 1 and already over $70

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Infinity Kits are back up on MassDrop. Maybe I can manage to get money together for one before they're done being sold this time. I could sell my K65 for it but that's effort.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
The Das 4 Pro turned up today. I've yet to give it a really good go but gosh it looks and feels nice. I think the Browns have turned out just right for me.

Not sure if I even want to change the keycaps as was my earlier plan, as the legend font is quite good, and it's got everything I need and nothing I don't (hardly ever used the macro buttons on the G keyboards). Cost a bit but it feels it'll last a while.

zenless
Feb 13, 2005

Horizontal Tree posted:

Infinity Kits are back up on MassDrop. Maybe I can manage to get money together for one before they're done being sold this time. I could sell my K65 for it but that's effort.

Put my custom together.. ~$253 :psyduck:

Not buying one, was just curious.

Gerbil_Pen
Apr 6, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

taqueso posted:

A couple of us just got CODEs which are made by WASD, our posts are mostly on the previous page. They seem to be highly recommended.

Mine showed up an hour ago and unfortunately it was the 104-key version instead of the 87-key version. Amazon is sending me a replacement next-day, so that is cool, but I'm a little bummed I only got to type on it for a few minutes. Seemed nice, though.

I ended up grabbing the CODE with brown switches. I've had it a month and a half, and so far so good.

My OCD requires that I turn off the LED when not in use... I really wish it turned off automatically after a certain period of inactivity or when the PC is turned off/asleep.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Horizontal Tree posted:

zenless posted:

Put my custom together.. ~$253 :psyduck:

Not buying one, was just curious.

do the matias switches absolutely necessitate an exclusive type of keycaps or can i bring over my old keycaps?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Ernie. posted:

do the matias switches absolutely necessitate an exclusive type of keycaps or can i bring over my old keycaps?

The Matias switches require an ALPS style keycap. Cherry ones just won't fit because the stems are totally different.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Rexxed posted:

The Matias switches require an ALPS style keycap. Cherry ones just won't fit because the stems are totally different.

pity i wanted to try something new (and heard the matias linears were great for gaming) :(

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Snagged that CODE with clears but no caps for $76 I'm pretty stoked I'll have a near $300 keyboard for half that by the time I get caps and legendary clears too. and if I don't like it I'll sell that poo poo !

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Ernie. posted:

pity i wanted to try something new (and heard the matias linears were great for gaming) :(

You can get keycaps from Matias if you email him. There are a few group buys popping up here and there as the switches get more popular, too.

You can also get old Alps keyboards like the Dell AT101 for peanuts on ebay, usually for less than you would spend for a cherry keycap set.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
Because I was super jealous of echinopsis' keyboard I decided to get a (supposedly) nice one for me too. It was the only one with cherry switches that I found around here: a Cougar Attack 2. Goddamn this name.

Anyway 2 keys (the N and the down arrow) are a little weird. The switch doesn't seem to make the key go all the way back after I press it a few times. The down arrow also makes a weird noise. Is this normal for cherry blue switches or should I just send the keyboard back?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

:smugmrgw:

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Symbolic Butt posted:

Anyway 2 keys (the N and the down arrow) are a little weird. The switch doesn't seem to make the key go all the way back after I press it a few times. The down arrow also makes a weird noise. Is this normal for cherry blue switches or should I just send the keyboard back?
Not normal.

Could be an easy fix yourself if you pull the keycap and squirt a little contact cleaner / lubricant into the switch. (Unplug, remove keycap, use cleaner, :f5: on the switch, let dry, put back keycap & use.) If that doesn't fix it send it back.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
Got my E-Element RGB keyboard from Massdrop yesterday - helluva deal for $79. I got the brushed-aluminum frame w/white keys, and it looks good, although the font is a little odd, doesn't seem to go with the look of the rest of the keyboard. The brushed-aluminum frame is coated with some sort of coating or lacquer that gives it a shiny feel - not as satisfying as "naked" brushed aluminum, but I bet it keeps much cleaner over time. Brushed aluminum is a bitch to clean.

The RGB modes are programmable from the keyboard, no flaky Corsair-style software to run, although you do give up some customizability. The knock-off faux-Cherry Blue keys feel pretty much like the real thing, There might be a slight bit more variability between keys in terms of where the "click" is compared to real Blues, but I might just be imagining it.

I pretty much agree with this guy's review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iWYX3lV6qI

There's almost a thousand people asking for another drop, so chances are good it'll be available again - sign up for Massdrop notification here:
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/e-element-rgb-keyboard

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.
That's a sexy beast. Also, the plate is literally the same one used on the K70 RGB without any of the media controls. I really dig the white-on-aluminum, but it would be great if they used legit Cherry keys.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

cobalt impurity posted:

That's a sexy beast. Also, the plate is literally the same one used on the K70 RGB without any of the media controls. I really dig the white-on-aluminum, but it would be great if they used legit Cherry keys.

Yeah, I probably would have paid $20 more for real Cherries, given the option, but these are pretty close- close enough that if I didn't have my old Das right in front of me for a comparison, I wouldn't have been able to tell.

Astrobastard
Dec 31, 2008

Winky Face

JnnyThndrs posted:

Got my E-Element RGB keyboard from Massdrop yesterday - helluva deal for $79. I got the brushed-aluminum frame w/white keys, and it looks good, although the font is a little odd, doesn't seem to go with the look of the rest of the keyboard. The brushed-aluminum frame is coated with some sort of coating or lacquer that gives it a shiny feel - not as satisfying as "naked" brushed aluminum, but I bet it keeps much cleaner over time. Brushed aluminum is a bitch to clean.

The RGB modes are programmable from the keyboard, no flaky Corsair-style software to run, although you do give up some customizability. The knock-off faux-Cherry Blue keys feel pretty much like the real thing, There might be a slight bit more variability between keys in terms of where the "click" is compared to real Blues, but I might just be imagining it.

I pretty much agree with this guy's review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iWYX3lV6qI

There's almost a thousand people asking for another drop, so chances are good it'll be available again - sign up for Massdrop notification here:
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/e-element-rgb-keyboard

ugh that is hot as gently caress, really hope massdrop open some kind of EU distribution centre because import tax from WASD sucks and i need at least 2 new keyboards

Astrobastard fucked around with this message at 02:18 on May 22, 2015

Derakarsis
Aug 7, 2007
Hope you've had your shots
Is there anything on the market anywhere that combines the ergonomic key layout of a Microsoft Natural Ergonomic 4000 (http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-us/p/natural-ergonomic-keyboard-4000) with the features of a Corsair K70 RGB?(http://www.corsair.com/en-us/corsair-gaming-k70-rgb-mechanical-gaming-keyboard-cherry-mx-red)

-Mechanical MX Reds/Browns
-Individual key back lighting
-Respectable simultaneous key presses

I'm seriously approaching the build it myself stage...

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Derakarsis posted:

Is there anything on the market anywhere that combines the ergonomic key layout of a Microsoft Natural Ergonomic 4000 (http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-us/p/natural-ergonomic-keyboard-4000) with the features of a Corsair K70 RGB?(http://www.corsair.com/en-us/corsair-gaming-k70-rgb-mechanical-gaming-keyboard-cherry-mx-red)

-Mechanical MX Reds/Browns
-Individual key back lighting
-Respectable simultaneous key presses

I'm seriously approaching the build it myself stage...

Ergodox with LEDs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
I just ordered this as my Microsoft Wired Keyboard 600 is no longer very suitable for typing - they keys are getting mushy and gaming on it isn't the best.

Will that Cherry keyboard be good for typing and some gaming?

• Locked thread