Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I just ordered this as my Microsoft Wired Keyboard 600 is no longer very suitable for typing - they keys are getting mushy and gaming on it isn't the best.

Will that Cherry keyboard be good for typing and some gaming?

What switches are you planning on? There seems to be a consensus that linear switches are best for gaming and tactile/clicky best for typing, and clicky not good for gaming but tactile being fine so tactile being the middle ground and probably most sensible to get..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I just ordered this as my Microsoft Wired Keyboard 600 is no longer very suitable for typing - they keys are getting mushy and gaming on it isn't the best.

Will that Cherry keyboard be good for typing and some gaming?

The item description is less than clear, but according to one of the reviews, that particular model number uses Blue switches, which are generally regarded as the best ones for general typing. Gamers tend to prefer linear switches like Reds or Blacks, but you can certainly do either on any of them. (I'm typing this on Reds right now.) Here is a pretty good guide to the different colors.

But yeah, for typing and some gaming, that keyboard should be great.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
So I put some keycaps on my CODE with clears. I think I prefer the clears to the browns, I seem to make less mistakes, I think most of my typos are hitting additional keys more so than the wrong ones so it reduces that. Still regret getting blank caps for the Das, the alphabet is OK but other keys not so much. Welp I got some coming

Anyway... The one thing annoying about this board is that there is a lot of twanging. Any key press will do it, and tapping the board itself will too. I suspect the stabilisers? Anyway what can be done about this, its annoying

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
The E-Element RGB is BACK in record time

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

How does this differ from the corsair K70? Because that was kinda neat but i heard it was crashy?

Edit: Also, what do people recommend in a TKL? I've been looking at the Filco Ninja vs the CM Quickfire Rapid, and the filco just does not seem to justify the extra funds.

There's also the tiny keyboards, like the pok3r, and leopold? But I'm not familiar with them. How do they implement arrow keys and the insert/delete/home/end/pgup/pgdn cluster? The poker seems to have some weird 4 layer setup, and I'm not sure I'm down with anything THAT non-standard.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 16:05 on May 26, 2015

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Deviant posted:

How does this differ from the corsair K70? Because that was kinda neat but i heard it was crashy?

Edit: Also, what do people recommend in a TKL? I've been looking at the Filco Ninja vs the CM Quickfire Rapid, and the filco just does not seem to justify the extra funds.

There's also the tiny keyboards, like the pok3r, and leopold? But I'm not familiar with them. How do they implement arrow keys and the insert/delete/home/end/pgup/pgdn cluster? The poker seems to have some weird 4 layer setup, and I'm not sure I'm down with anything THAT non-standard.

I have the CM Quickfire Stealth, its a good board, been used heavily at work for the last year and a half and has stood up great. The keys are starting to get worn out so I'm replacing them soon. Only reason I'm thinking about getting something new is its got brown switches and this dumb thread has me itching for clears. The CMs seem to go up on Massdrop a lot as well so you can get them pretty cheap if you're willing to wait.

The 60% boards work like you said, they've got function key combos that trigger the other keys that are usually separate. Some people swear by them, personally I found them clunky, but the key combo storage space in my brain is already filled with vim commands so I probably just don't have enough room to remember them.

pr0zac fucked around with this message at 16:28 on May 26, 2015

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

pr0zac posted:

The CMs seem to go up on Massdrop a lot as well so you can get them pretty cheap if you're willing to wait.

Its actually on there right now for $65 + shipping: https://www.massdrop.com/buy/cooler-master-storm

Ledhed
Feb 13, 2006
Doesn't believe in the letter a

pr0zac posted:

Its actually on there right now for $65 + shipping: https://www.massdrop.com/buy/cooler-master-storm

Be advised, they only have MX Greens left and they're an additional $20 or so. Bummed I missed the Browns on this one, hopefully it's back on soon.

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

Ledhed posted:

Be advised, they only have MX Greens left and they're an additional $20 or so. Bummed I missed the Browns on this one, hopefully it's back on soon.

Check the drop a few times a day, especially on the last day. People canceling their order frees it up for someone to nab it. I got a cm stealth with browns on the last drop by doing this. I'm pretty happy with it also.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Had the K70 for a few weeks now, have been enjoying it thoroughly. I really do feel like I can type noticeably faster, and the sound of the Blues is very satisfying. The volume roller is perfect, I liked the knob on my old Sidewinder x6 but it was very loose. Holy poo poo that big braided cord though.

remember
Nov 23, 2006
Is my only option for backlit 60% keyboard with either reds or browns a KBT Pure?

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Just got my Poker3. Great so far, forgot how much I liked typing on Cherry Blacks (been using browns on a chocmini for a few years). Still gonna take some learning to get the hang of not having arrow keys (well, either that or I'll have to get a vim-keys plugin in Chrome). The PBT keys feel *way* nicer than the worn-slick ABS keys I've been using.

Ledhed
Feb 13, 2006
Doesn't believe in the letter a

Canna Happy posted:

Check the drop a few times a day, especially on the last day. People canceling their order frees it up for someone to nab it. I got a cm stealth with browns on the last drop by doing this. I'm pretty happy with it also.

Thanks for the tip! Just checked and it looks like Blues are available again, hopefully a Brown spot (eeewwwww) opens up.

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story
Just to say I use Excel a lot at work and therefore use the arrow keys a ton, but it took me all of an hour to become fully competent with a 60%. I was really skeptical at first too but if you type a lot you get used to it very quickly. Now my biggest problem is trying to use the same functionality on my work keyboard.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

1) 10-key less
2) cherry mx reds or similar silent keys
3) under or near $100

I don't need any lights or extra keys or any of that crap. My current keyboard is a CM Storm with blues, I like the feel but not the noise.

I'm looking at the stealth edition of this

http://www.amazon.com/Razer-BlackWidow-Tournament-Essential-Mechanical/dp/B00IG3GPC0/

Any other boards I should checkout?

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

madpanda posted:

1) 10-key less
3) under or near $100

I don't need any lights or extra keys or any of that crap. My current keyboard is a CM Storm with blues, I like the feel but not the noise.

I'm looking at the stealth edition of this

http://www.amazon.com/Razer-BlackWidow-Tournament-Essential-Mechanical/dp/B00IG3GPC0/

Any other boards I should checkout?

Choc Mini

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

echinopsis posted:

Anyway... The one thing annoying about this board is that there is a lot of twanging. Any key press will do it, and tapping the board itself will too. I suspect the stabilisers? Anyway what can be done about this, its annoying
That's backplate ring. (The keys are attaches to a steel backplate, then to the pcb circuit board. Gives them a solid life-extending support, but the steel has a harmonic to it.)

To some extent it's always there, but if it's really noticeable you probably have a nice solid wood desk that's acting like a natural "speaker". Try putting something soft between keyboard and desk. I had the same thing, and put a piece of fake chamois under the board. Fixed.

madpanda posted:

1) 10-key less
3) under or near $100
Corsair K65 $90 (red switch only)
CM Quickfire Rapid $80-90 (browns out of stock at both newegg and amazon at the moment)
I'd say either one is worth the extra price over the Razer.

Something I just noticed: you can now get WASD's regular (non-CODE) boards with clear switches. It's not really any cheaper than the CODE though, unless you get the bare keyboard with no keycaps. Then it's only $110, tempting...

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

madpanda posted:

1) 10-key less
3) under or near $100

If you like the feel of the blues, try to find something with browns, closest feel without the noise.

Klyith posted:

Something I just noticed: you can now get WASD's regular (non-CODE) boards with clear switches. It's not really any cheaper than the CODE though, unless you get the bare keyboard with no keycaps. Then it's only $110, tempting...

Thanks, you just sold me on buying once since I have new keycaps coming in anyway...

DethMarine21
Dec 4, 2008
I've been using a CM QuickFire Rapid with browns for over a year now. I would definitely prefer clears but didn't feel like spending $100+ on a keyboard. The stock keycaps felt kind of cheap so I replaced the letter rows with some $20 double shot ABS keycaps from Massdrop. I do mainly typing and some gaming and its been great.

DethMarine21 fucked around with this message at 21:53 on May 30, 2015

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Klyith posted:

That's backplate ring. (The keys are attaches to a steel backplate, then to the pcb circuit board. Gives them a solid life-extending support, but the steel has a harmonic to it.)

To some extent it's always there, but if it's really noticeable you probably have a nice solid wood desk that's acting like a natural "speaker". Try putting something soft between keyboard and desk. I had the same thing, and put a piece of fake chamois under the board. Fixed.

Yeah it is a little worse on the table. I suspected that was the cause, I was hoping to maybe apply some kind of damping, shove some felt in somewhere

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one
I'm going to be going on a trip with friends. This trip is going to include a lot of driving, including through the night, and I'm afraid my favorite keyboard (Poker 2 with Greens) is going to be way, way too loud in a car.

So, I'm looking for a preferably 60%, but I could settle for a TKL, with Clears. Since I'll probably only use it for this trip, I don't want to spend a ton on it -- any suggestions from TKL users? I've never had a TKL, only 60%s, so I honestly have no idea.

Backlit preferred, but I can work with whatever.

AbrahamLincolnLog fucked around with this message at 07:06 on May 31, 2015

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
Why can't you use your laptop's built-in keyboard ???

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

I don't use a laptop. I use a tablet.

Nice try, though.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

AbrahamLincolnLog posted:

I'm going to be going on a trip with friends. This trip is going to include a lot of driving, including through the night, and I'm afraid my favorite keyboard (Poker 2 with Greens) is going to be way, way too loud in a car.

So, I'm looking for a preferably 60%, but I could settle for a TKL, with Clears. Since I'll probably only use it for this trip, I don't want to spend a ton on it -- any suggestions from TKL users? I've never had a TKL, only 60%s, so I honestly have no idea.

CODE TKL has clears and backlighting. Dunno much about 60%s, maybe cruise Massdrop for models and look for other, more immediate retailers?

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:
your best bet for a cheaper board with clears would be looking for a used poker 2, most likely on the /r/mechmarket subreddit or the geekhack forums. I don't know how often they pop up on ebay but there is probably a few since the pok3r was just released.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Yeah, not sure why I didn't think of just getting another Poker II.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Where can you get those small things that go onto the stabiliser bars on cherry boards?

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

WASD sells them.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
oh poo poo 50c for a pair
and whatever their shipping is/ I'll look on eBay or aliexpress

Arcon
Jul 24, 2013
Corsair officially killed the lolgaming logo at Computex today, unveiling a new version of the Sails logo. It looks decent enough, and they said they're gonna phase it into new revisions of their popular product lines (re: mechanical keyboards like the K70 RGB) so (hopefully soon) no more headaches trying to find a Vengeance one.

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/blog/2015/june/introducing-the-new-sails-logo

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac
Good looking logo; looks better light on dark than the inverse. I always thought the old logo, though charming, looked like 3 dudes in a conga line.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
I just got my bright green doubleshots from Massdrop and I realised I don't have a keypuller.

I probably should've gotten another colour as well for the meta keys, but anyway. I'll go with all green for a while and see how I like it.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The Deadly Hume posted:

I just got my bright green doubleshots from Massdrop and I realised I don't have a keypuller.

I probably should've gotten another colour as well for the meta keys, but anyway. I'll go with all green for a while and see how I like it.

I must have got the same drop only I got blue. It's very blue without somehow being highlighter blue. I don't really like them but it was the cheapest set of keycaps I could find plus the contrast of the colours, the legends are incredibly vivid.

I used dental floss to pull the keys. What I realised those is that it didn't come with stabilisers and I have two boards that are blank and need them. So far only space is an issue but the other ones must be to an extent

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I'm thinking about getting a mechanical keyboard, so looking for recommendations.

I'm relatively sure I'm going to want Browns. It will be used mostly for typing, which I've heard means Blues or Greens, but I'm pretty sure the clicking would drive me and my coworkers mad. I remember being young and using IBM Model Ms and hating it, so something "less" than that is my goal. At at some point, I will bring the keyboard home for some light gaming, so there's another strike against Blue/Greens (due to my living situation for the next few months, I have no place to set up my gaming PC).

Is it worth it to get one of those little switch sampler things for $10-20? Or should I just try my damnedest to find a mechanical one somewhere I can try? (Do any Best Buys or Staples have them on display?)

My budget is <$150, preferably, though since I need a full keyboard I understand I might have to go a little over, hence why I also don't want to "waste" another $10-20 on a switch sample thingy if I don't need to.

I looked at the Das 4/S Pro w/ Browns, and that certainly has the right look for what I want, though the 4 is a bit over my budget and the S looks out of stock. (Though I suppose I could get the Ultimate and then have everyone who walks by my desk comment on how weird it is that my keys are blank, which is annoying, or just get new keycaps and some point and replace them, but that's effort and money.)

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

AbrahamLincolnLog posted:

Get a $20 bluetooth keyboard. Nobody wants to hear a goddamn mechanical keyboard throughout a car trip.

remember
Nov 23, 2006

DrBouvenstein posted:

I'm thinking about getting a mechanical keyboard, so looking for recommendations.

I'm relatively sure I'm going to want Browns. It will be used mostly for typing, which I've heard means Blues or Greens, but I'm pretty sure the clicking would drive me and my coworkers mad. I remember being young and using IBM Model Ms and hating it, so something "less" than that is my goal. At at some point, I will bring the keyboard home for some light gaming, so there's another strike against Blue/Greens (due to my living situation for the next few months, I have no place to set up my gaming PC).

Is it worth it to get one of those little switch sampler things for $10-20? Or should I just try my damnedest to find a mechanical one somewhere I can try? (Do any Best Buys or Staples have them on display?)

My budget is <$150, preferably, though since I need a full keyboard I understand I might have to go a little over, hence why I also don't want to "waste" another $10-20 on a switch sample thingy if I don't need to.

I looked at the Das 4/S Pro w/ Browns, and that certainly has the right look for what I want, though the 4 is a bit over my budget and the S looks out of stock. (Though I suppose I could get the Ultimate and then have everyone who walks by my desk comment on how weird it is that my keys are blank, which is annoying, or just get new keycaps and some point and replace them, but that's effort and money.)

If you have a microcenter nearby, they usually have a display with blacks, reds, blues, and browns.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
No microcenters nearby, sadly.

In the Recommend a Product thread in PYF, a goon suggested the Corsair K70. If I keep the backlight off, it seems relatively ok. Not sure about those red-colored WASD and 1-6 keys, but it looks like it comes with standard ones and a puller tool?

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

DrBouvenstein posted:

If I were to do it over again, I'd buy a switch sampler (it's cheaper than buying a new keyboard :D). I really like typing on Blacks, even though they are a 'gaming key' whatever that's supposed to mean.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

wa27 posted:

Get a $20 bluetooth keyboard. Nobody wants to hear a goddamn mechanical keyboard throughout a car trip.

linears with O rings are at least as quiet as a scissor switch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

DrBouvenstein posted:

No microcenters nearby, sadly.

In the Recommend a Product thread in PYF, a goon suggested the Corsair K70. If I keep the backlight off, it seems relatively ok. Not sure about those red-colored WASD and 1-6 keys, but it looks like it comes with standard ones and a puller tool?

Don't get the Corsair, its got a non-standard bottom row which makes getting replacement keys kind of a pain. Getting the sampler is a great idea though. Doing it again, I'd probably buy clears over browns for my work board (keeping the browns for my home gaming board). Make sure to test the keys with your pinky!

• Locked thread