Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I was a huge fan of DSA until I saw this

and realised SA was the true money shot

But does anyone ever do group buys for them? DSA sets are expensive enough as it is.

I asked WASD if they were ever going to adopt DSA and they said they weren't, but imagine if they said they were.

(currently slumming it with regular profiles)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Welp, 2 weeks and the numpad area is still stickly after hot water treatment. I don't know what else to do other than keep hammering the keys for a few weeks and hope they loosen up like my mouse left click did.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome

echinopsis posted:

I was a huge fan of DSA until I saw this

and realised SA was the true money shot

That is a really nice looking key set.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
All I need now is a mortgage to buy it

e:

This board has a similar colour layout. I need to sell my other boards so I could have jumped on that one immediately (it's blues)

echinopsis fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Aug 3, 2015

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
http://keypuller.com/profile/sa/

I lot of the group buy SA profile sets don't seem to be proper SA profile, but just row 3 or 4. That image I posted has seperate row profiles like OEM does, but they're not doing that. I would feel ripped off given how much you do have to drop on them

I mean it's nice but it's not quite this

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
it would be cool if someone came out with a cherry switch based board that used a curved backplate instead of just sculpted keys (not counting the weird ergo keyboardS)

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3
The Corsair K70 is currently on sale for $100 on Amazon. I think that's a decent price, so just grabbed one w/ Cherry MX browns.

I really want to get something w/clears, that is full size, and backlit, but I missed the boat on the Code Massdrop. :(

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

betterinsodapop posted:

The Corsair K70 is currently on sale for $100 on Amazon. I think that's a decent price, so just grabbed one w/ Cherry MX browns.

I really want to get something w/clears, that is full size, and backlit, but I missed the boat on the Code Massdrop. :(

I think you save maybe $15 bucks by going through MD. Just get one direct from WASD and you'll have it in a week or so rather than six months (unless they're currently sold out?)

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

HEY NONG MAN posted:

I think you save maybe $15 bucks by going through MD. Just get one direct from WASD and you'll have it in a week or so rather than six months (unless they're currently sold out?)

They currently are out of clears. Coworker of mine had to buy a pok3r instead cause of that.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

betterinsodapop posted:

You can always buy a bunch of clear switches and a soldering iron! No, it doesn't really sound like fun to me, either.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

echinopsis posted:

http://keypuller.com/profile/sa/

I lot of the group buy SA profile sets don't seem to be proper SA profile, but just row 3 or 4. That image I posted has seperate row profiles like OEM does, but they're not doing that. I would feel ripped off given how much you do have to drop on them

The really nice spherical sets and pictures come from Deskthority where 7bit runs group buys for them. Unfortunately because he offers a zillion options to satisfy all kinds of keyboards and needs to meet minimum quantity for them these buys take well over a year to complete.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

ChineseBuffet posted:

Is there any supposed advantage to the DSA profile? Or is it just what the cool kids do?

Another big thing is the deep dish homing keys. I don't really notice the tiny little homing bumps most OEM sets have, but DSA and SA sets really encourage me to nestle into home row and type properly. As someone who only started properly touch typing recently, it's a big deal for me.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010

echinopsis posted:

All I need now is a mortgage to buy it

e:

This board has a similar colour layout. I need to sell my other boards so I could have jumped on that one immediately (it's blues)

I have one of these in Green/Cream, and its a super nice board, but mine has some sort of mystery PCB issue and misregisters a lot of inputs. The keycaps are a nice thick PBT though and I'm waiting for a reason to reuse them. Probably on a POK3R or Infinity. Unless I get a DSA or SA profile set.
Either way, I dont know if they make those Premiers anymore. If they do, its a great deal for a simple, good looking board with PBT caps.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome

Rexxed posted:

You can always buy a bunch of clear switches and a soldering iron! No, it doesn't really sound like fun to me, either.

Now that I have my Pok3r, I've contemplated on swapping my K65 RGB with reds to ergo clears. Haven't quite made it there yet, but I do have all the soldering stuff sitting in my amazon cart atm, so who knows.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I'm looking at getting a new keyboard, but if I had a spare $300, I wouldn't spend it on a keyboard. What is the keyboard equivalent of the Logitech MX518? Or just cheaper but good quality keyboards in general? Or should I just go to amazon and get the cheapest keyboard that has prime shipping?

E: The Logitech G510s looks nice, I can get it for $58 on Amazon. That's on the high end of what I would want to spend, but 18 programmable keys for coding sounds like the best thing ever, although it would make me hate programming on my laptop.

Is there anything like that without the gamer mark-up, or is the $58 a really good deal?

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Aug 3, 2015

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

betterinsodapop posted:

This is basically me exactly. I bought the K70 from Amazon today but was looking for the CODE with clears. I don't really know about mechanical keyboards except there's a couple where I work and they're loud as poo poo and I don't want a super loud one. I have a Logitech K750 right now and it's fine but it sucks to type on for any extended period of time

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

Rexxed posted:

Oh my, but that would be an accomplishment. There's no way I'd have the patience, haha.

myron cope posted:

This is basically me exactly. I bought the K70 from Amazon today but was looking for the CODE with clears. I don't really know about mechanical keyboards except there's a couple where I work and they're loud as poo poo and I don't want a super loud one. I have a Logitech K750 right now and it's fine but it sucks to type on for any extended period of time
:(:hf::(
If it's any help: I'm using a daskeyboard model S professional w/ browns at work, and nobody complains about noise. Just don't get blues or greens, and definitely not buckling springs, and you should be good. If they complain about noise on browns, you could always add o-rings, though you probably won't have to.

In the meantime, I might try for a cheap tenkeyless w/Cherry clears, because I obviously NEED 3 mechanical keyboards between home and work, right guys? RIGHT?! :getin:

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

For stuff like coding, how do the 60% boards with no arrow keys work out? Usually when I am working on stuff I use the arrow keys to move up and down lines even though I know there's combo hotkeys in emacs/terminal etc to do the same stuff. Do you just get used to constantly hitting combos (or just the fn+direction stuff) to move around a document? They look pretty slick but I would imagine the constant key combos would sorta impact your productivity (Though I've never used one in person).

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Marzzle posted:

For stuff like coding, how do the 60% boards with no arrow keys work out? Usually when I am working on stuff I use the arrow keys to move up and down lines even though I know there's combo hotkeys in emacs/terminal etc to do the same stuff. Do you just get used to constantly hitting combos (or just the fn+direction stuff) to move around a document? They look pretty slick but I would imagine the constant key combos would sorta impact your productivity (Though I've never used one in person).

I think the intent and allure is that since you can use hotkeys in Emacs/Terminal/Vim for navigation, you seldom if ever need to use the arrow keys. When I was working as a coder a lot of my coworkers had tags/marks setups in Vim (or the equivalent in Emacs) for navigation within a file, and/or wrote code in CLI Vim/Emacs so they never needed to leave the terminal. Some went another step and set a Vim/Emacs mode so in their shell so a lot of the same keybindings for their favorite editor worked similarly in the CLI.

I asked earlier, but I didn't see any answers: are there any 60% keyboards with Costar/wire stabilizers? I'm interested in 60%s too I hate how Cherry stabilizers make the spacebar feel.

Thirst Mutilator fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Aug 4, 2015

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one
The Pok3r allowed me to bind Caps Lock to FN, and FN+WASD to arrow keys, so it's really not that bad. In fact, I prefer it over real arrow keys.

Geology
Nov 6, 2005

Marzzle posted:

After about a day it becomes second nature AND you dont have to lift your hands off the home row to use the arrows, so you could argue that it's even more efficient.

Incidentally, I feel like I deserve a trophy or monetary reward for having the discipline, no, the COURAGE to unsubscribe from massdrop's daily emails. AKA I own too many keyboards and keycaps (for now)

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

Geology posted:

Incidentally, I feel like I deserve a trophy or monetary reward for having the discipline, no, the COURAGE to unsubscribe from massdrop's daily emails. AKA I own too many keyboards and keycaps (for now)
The bags of fat cash that you are saving (rather, not spending) should be a fine reward. Still, I admire your bravery.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Thirst Mutilator posted:

I asked earlier, but I didn't see any answers: are there any 60% keyboards with Costar/wire stabilizers? I'm interested in 60%s too I hate how Cherry stabilizers make the spacebar feel.

Filco has a Majestouch MINILA that might work for you. I think all Filcos use the wire stabilizers right? My tenkeyless one does but not sure about this one.
[e] actually the minila has a hosed up spacebar
In other news, my Pok3r with clears shipped today.

tuna fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Aug 4, 2015

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
If people are complaining about he volume of your board clearly you need to alpha up and they won't complain anymore. I don't know it I could go back to browns after blues

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry
I hate blues and I hate people who use blues.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

TheModernAmerican posted:

Sissy

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Thirst Mutilator posted:

If you don't mind building a kit, everything at http://ortholinearkeyboards.com/ takes costar stabilizers. I have an Atomic which is basically the best 60% layout I can imagine, but if you don't want a matrix board the Neutrino is a good option. You'll have to hand wire the matrix though, since there's no PCB yet.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

gently caress yoU! blues feel great. I don't care for the sound but what are you gonna do, not use them because they're too noisy? I bet you use headphones to listen to music and jerk off with the sheets over you too

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

I hate reds and I hate people who use reds.

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry
I'm gonna fight each and every one of you

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Gonna fight you.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Reds are ok.

Clears are weird feeling.

Blues sound like an ex lover you wish had died.

Browns are the sweet spot.

horchata
Oct 17, 2010
Apparently corsair is releasing a keyboard with new Cherry MX Silent keys. I need them.

Edit with link:
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2956617/input-keyboards/corsair-and-cherry-develop-new-silent-cherry-mx-red-mechanical-keyboard-switch.html

horchata fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Aug 5, 2015

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
But what even is that? The sound of a mechanical keyboard is like the sound from an internal combustion engine. Some embrace it, but most of the time it's a necessary side effect of their fundamental mechanism. Perhaps they have just invented a great soundproofing method.. Either way if they don't feel like a blue... Might as well be a membrane :iceburn:

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Browns are the sweet spot.
Yessss!

Greens and blacks are tied for the worst.
Loud/stiff and mushy/stiff. Blech!

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

echinopsis posted:

But what even is that? The sound of a mechanical keyboard is like the sound from an internal combustion engine. Some embrace it, but most of the time it's a necessary side effect of their fundamental mechanism. Perhaps they have just invented a great soundproofing method.. Either way if they don't feel like a blue... Might as well be a membrane :iceburn:
If you want to play with blues, do so in the privacy of your own home. Don't do that poo poo in public. No-one else in your office wants to hear a keyboard that sounds like Einstürzende Neubauten tuning up.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
Eh, my girlfriend's Truly Ergonomic has blues, and she says she'd get browns next time (I have browns on my WASD). It's definitely not something where you have it and then can never go back. The blues are basically wilfully loud browns. Some people still have a secret buckling spring fetish, so it works for them (kind of), but to them, I say, go buy a Unicomp and be done with it.

All that said, I don't personally find the noise of the blues offensive, I'm used to tuning it out.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Aug 5, 2015

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I've never typed on browns but I have tried reds and blues. The reds were too "squishy" and the blues, although okay, were just obnoxious.

I just want a full keyboard with volume buttons that's affordable. I'm not even asking for an ergonomic layout!

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
I type on blues all day at work, not as issue noise wise for anyone around me. I actually have headphones on a lot to drown them out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

HalloKitty posted:

The blues are basically wilfully loud browns.

Jesus Christ

• Locked thread