Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:
The advice I've always followed is to not buy razer products. I haven't personally tried their mice since I've never liked their form factor but the boards I've seen have failed from all kinds of dumb goings like a form are update.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

beejay posted:

I have a Corsair K70 Vengeance and all of a sudden today the top row of keys (F1-F12 etc.) won't work at all, OR they all act like they are pressed down constantly. Like browser reloading nonstop, going in and out of fullscreen, help opening a bunch of times, etc. How good is Corsair at an RMA for something like this? Are they going to make me try a million bullshit things first? Also I know it sounds like a liquid spill but nothing has been spilled on it.

Corsair support is usually good.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
I cleaned my G710 today for the first time. I pulled the keycaps off, washed them, and left them outside to dry... for about 20 minutes. Because they were in a silver bowl they started smoking and one actually lit on fire and melted :( lol. They were still wet too

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

beejay posted:

I have a Corsair K70 Vengeance and all of a sudden today the top row of keys (F1-F12 etc.) won't work at all, OR they all act like they are pressed down constantly. Like browser reloading nonstop, going in and out of fullscreen, help opening a bunch of times, etc. How good is Corsair at an RMA for something like this? Are they going to make me try a million bullshit things first? Also I know it sounds like a liquid spill but nothing has been spilled on it.

I filed a corsair RMA because a few of my LEDs were out, and all I had to do was ship my keyboard back and they sent a new one. ymmv.

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
deathadder is one of the best mice i've ever used, and i've used a fuckton

but yeah, the build quality ranges from really good to poor, it seems like it's a 50/50 shot you'll get a good or bad mouse

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

I cleaned my G710 today for the first time. I pulled the keycaps off, washed them, and left them outside to dry... for about 20 minutes. Because they were in a silver bowl they started smoking and one actually lit on fire and melted :( lol. They were still wet too

That's... actually kinda amazing.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

Owned bitch! -- Archimedes

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

This made my morning. So at least you've got that.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
It just has character now... and the tilde key only fits on upside down and works 90% of the time. The smell of singed plastic will fade over time, I hope.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.
Could be a good excuse to buy some replacement keycaps!

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Rexxed posted:

Different people like different switches. I like clicky switches and I've gamed on them since '98 with no problems; they're no "slower" than a red switch or anything else because it's all just down what you're used to using. That said, when people recommend switches for people who have never used any kind of mechanical keyboard they suggest reds and browns for folks who are going to be gaming because they're smooth and have light springs. The red and brown switches use the same springs, however, and the bump in the browns is very slight, so if you'd have issues with pushing one thing down too easily they'll both be too easy for you.

The best advice is really to try out some keyboards wherever you can, or be prepared to attempt to flip it and buy a different board if you don't like it. A lot of big retail chains may have a small selection of mechanical keyboards, but you'll find that if you can just try the switches you'll get an idea for what most keyboards that use that same kind of a switch feel like to type on. The keycaps may be a little bit different but for most practical purposes, two cherry red or brown or blue boards should feel very similar.

My local Microcenter has a demo keyboard set up in their mechanical keyboard aisle that has all the different types of cherry switches on different sections of the keyboard. Super helpful in instantly feeling the difference in switches.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I'd jump in and say you need at least a few days or a week with a board to get a feel for how you like it. The board you are used to is often best. I had to gently caress around with clears for ages before I realised I prefered them to blues. PBT may have helped

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

GokieKS posted:

Could be a good excuse to buy some replacement keycaps!

only a few hours left for the massdrop danger zone set. You can be one of 1500+ exclusive buyers!

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

Nondescript Van posted:

only a few hours left for the massdrop danger zone set. You can be one of 1500+ exclusive buyers!
At least with that number it's pulled the price down a bit.

Although it's still going to set me back about AUD150 for the base + numpad sets :gonk:

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
I ... uh, forgive me, but I'm failing to see how a bunch of blue molded plastic keys can be worth $99...

JollyPubJerk
Nov 10, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

I ... uh, forgive me, but I'm failing to see how a bunch of blue molded plastic keys can be worth $99...

:getout:

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

Tom Cruise personally wrestled them away from xenu in the 1980s while screaming the song.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

Don't even go near a link that says 'artisan keycaps'. For your own safety, just delete your browser and re-install whenever you see a hyperlink with those words.

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
just bought this

e-element rgb keyboard

floating keycaps :fap:

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

Prepare to be more confused

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Click-Clack-Clack-Factory-Cherry-MX-Purple-P1-Skull-/121773543902?hash=item1c5a44d1de

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

so like if I bought a 3d printer and made 1000 "rare" keycaps id be oprah rich?

penus penus penus fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Oct 6, 2015

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

Nope the people who want that are material snobs. Best off buying that and making a mold out of it.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

there are already knock offs of those and they sell for about $40 for some stupid reason.

http://www.k3kc.com/shop/

people on geekhack are pissed there there are knock offs using a stolen design but are also perfectly fine with stealing every kind of branding and logos and star wars helmets for caps. In short: it makes no sense.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

Unless you have an incredibly expensive 3D printer, you're barely going to maintain tolerances for even a real lovely keycap. Not to mention you've pigeonholed yourself into certain varieties of just PLA or ABS.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Slowhanded posted:

Unless you have an incredibly expensive 3D printer, you're barely going to maintain tolerances for even a real lovely keycap. Not to mention you've pigeonholed yourself into certain varieties of just PLA or ABS.

Oh.................................................................

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

beejay posted:

As a follow up to this, I ended up fixing it myself. I shut the computer down, put the keyboard into BIOS mode, then started the computer up. Shut it down again after it got to the login screen, switched the keyboard to "1" mode, then started up again. Everything was then working fine. I think somehow it got stuck in some kind of weird state.

The reason I thought of this was that when I first noticed that something was going on, the scroll lock light was lit up constantly and then when I rebooted, it was flashing as if it was in BIOS mode, even though it wasn't. Somehow I "reset" it and now it's good. Who knows.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

deep impact on vhs posted:

just bought this

e-element rgb keyboard

floating keycaps :fap:

Hey, keyboard buddies.
Mine is TKL though; I won it in an OCAU competition.

(Also it's not technically RGB is it?)

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

Fun Shoe

~Coxy posted:

Hey, keyboard buddies.
Mine is TKL though; I won it in an OCAU competition.

(Also it's not technically RGB is it?)

not sure, massdrop says rgb. i don't have it yet so i'm not sure.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.
Not sure what you mean by "technically RGB"... it's RGB in that all the keys can be backlit in different colors, though it doesn't appear to be individually customizable through software like the Corsairs.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I don't think you can change which colour a key is. The fluoro orange row keys are always fluoro orange and the keys above them are red and the keys below them are blue.

Anyway I made a video of mine to bide deep impact over until his arrives.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=at5EZPYzop8

VVV thanks for clearing that up. Keyboard names are really getting confusing.

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Oct 9, 2015

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.
The E-Element can set each key to any color as part of a pattern or individually. It's a similar style keyboard but different from that Mazer K727.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

The only keyboard I've used for a couple decades is my HP C1405B. I just switched to a laptop as my main machine, If I want precision gaming, am I good just throwing a PS/2 to USB converter on it and plugging it in? I'm poor, so if not, is there a generally recommended good quality and cheap(ish) mechanical keyboard?

surc fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Oct 9, 2015

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

surc posted:

I just switched to a laptop as my main machine, If I want precision gaming, am I good just throwing a PS/2 to USB converter on it and plugging it in?
Probably * ** † ‡

* if your laptop's USB supports a simple adapter, if not you'd need a much more expensive converter
** and the keyboard doesn't draw more power than the laptop's USB
and that keyboard isn't weird in some other way
consult phase of the moon chart for additional restrictions

The adapters are super cheap so it's not like you're out much by trying.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPKA2tG1JBI

who wants to get in on a keyboard cap racket with me

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

skylined! posted:

This shows up some time Wednesday. White case, white keys with blue backlight, gateron clears. Will post trip report. Very excited.

It arrived. Have not had time to really type much on it until this evening. Seems to hold a good charge even with backlighting.

I ordered mine with gateron clears. My only prolonged mechanical keyboard experience was with kalil blues (very clicky), so this is a little different - very, very sensitive keys but quieter.

Board connected via bluetooth with no issues whatsoever and responds fine for my needs - no noticeable input lag. There are 5(?) backlighting levels, as well as a 'breathe' setting where the backlighting will pulse - you can also edit the speed in which it does this. Kind of a useless edition but maybe would be neato if I was still in high school or something.

These keys are -very- sensitive.

I really, really like this keyboard.

skylined! fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Oct 11, 2015

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
So my quest for a RGB TKL or 60% has ended and I am sending my K65 with reds to some guy I found on reddit to have it converted to blues. Hes also doing some clip thing he offered for free to the stabilizers to make those more clickie.

Will post results.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

After looking into it I'm 95% sure my perfect keyboard simply does not exist. That's okay though, I'm used to it with tech stuff! Ideally I'd want a full size, backlit, wireless keyboard. Seems like I'll be picking between backlit and wireless though - specifically the Corsair Vengeance K70 for back lights or the Filco Majestouch Convertible 2 for wireless.

I'm mechanically stupid, so a) would not be doing this myself and b) have no idea how feasible or expensive it would be - but would it be possible to add the missing feature onto either of those models? I've seen people modding their keyboard to be wireless before but it's definitly past my skills and I'm not sure how good the results are. Never seen anyone modding their keyboard to be backlit, but I'm new to the mechanical game. Anyone have any idea about a project like this and/or experience with those models in general?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Digital Osmosis posted:

After looking into it I'm 95% sure my perfect keyboard simply does not exist. That's okay though, I'm used to it with tech stuff! Ideally I'd want a full size, backlit, wireless keyboard. Seems like I'll be picking between backlit and wireless though - specifically the Corsair Vengeance K70 for back lights or the Filco Majestouch Convertible 2 for wireless.

I'm mechanically stupid, so a) would not be doing this myself and b) have no idea how feasible or expensive it would be - but would it be possible to add the missing feature onto either of those models? I've seen people modding their keyboard to be wireless before but it's definitly past my skills and I'm not sure how good the results are. Never seen anyone modding their keyboard to be backlit, but I'm new to the mechanical game. Anyone have any idea about a project like this and/or experience with those models in general?

Two posts up there's wireless and backlit, but not full size. drat, I didn't even think wireless and backlit would be a good idea since it would blow through batteries.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Digital Osmosis posted:

You mentioned the K70 but not mechanical specifically. Logeitech's K800 is wireless, backlit and full size.

Alternatively you could try to purchase the same keyboard I just posted and get a separate numpad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

HalloKitty posted:

Two posts up there's wireless and backlit, but not full size. drat, I didn't even think wireless and backlit would be a good idea since it would blow through batteries.

I've had the backlighting on for 2 days on the same charge, and it re-charges via USB so no $$$ on batteries. Thing is great.

• Locked thread