Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

Hasn't the quality of das taken a dump in recent years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

The Deadly Hume posted:

Normally the 4Cs do (that is the TKL ones) but in this case they've got Clears, that's the point of the drop.

The 104 variety has always had Cherry keys, the choice being Blue or Brown.

I'll agree they are a bit pricey, but they're worth it.

EDIT: Not as pricey as this weird thing:
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/the-aviator-keyboard

To each their own, I'm not one to talk just having bought a hhkb, but the Das line never looked like they offered anything revolutionary to justify their price.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.
The full size Das 4 models have USB 3.0 ports and a volume control wheel. While not necessarily tremendously useful to everyone, they are things that differentiate them from most other options on the market.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Brightman posted:

Speak of the devil, Massdrop exclusive: Das Keyboard with Clears for $149.

NNNNnnnnnnnnNNNNnnnnnnoooOOOOOOOOOooOOOoooooOOOOOOOOooooooooo

I just got two CODE keyboards with clears but I really REALLY want this Das with clears. AAAAARGH

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Ultimate Mango posted:

NNNNnnnnnnnnNNNNnnnnnnoooOOOOOOOOOooOOOoooooOOOOOOOOooooooooo

I just got two CODE keyboards with clears but I really REALLY want this Das with clears. AAAAARGH

Put 'em on SAMart. Someone will pick 'em up.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
Yeah, sell one to frogbs.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

The Deadly Hume posted:

Normally the 4Cs do (that is the TKL ones) but in this case they've got Clears, that's the point of the drop.

The 104 variety has always had Cherry keys, the choice being Blue or Brown.

I'll agree they are a bit pricey, but they're worth it.

EDIT: Not as pricey as this weird thing:
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/the-aviator-keyboard

I built my friend John a knockoff of that keyboard recently. He was really happy with it. The rest of the keyboard would have to be solid gold to make it worth $575. The keys are rather cheap feeling.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Brightman posted:

Yeah, sell one to frogbs.

I'd be tempted, but I really want blues!

JacksAngryBiome
Oct 23, 2014
My thesis advisor noticed I brought in a happy hacker lite 2 (not mechanical, but I like the size and layout a lot) and said, "I see you like keyboards, you should try this." He then handed me a Topre Realforce 104-UG HiPro and walked off. I had never heard of Topre so I looked it up online and saw the the price and :aaaaa:

I don't have experience using any other high-end keyboard, so I have no point of comparison. The Topre's action is 45 g, and bottoms out solidly with a firm push. With a softer touch it feels like typing on air. It is not very noisy, even when bottoming out. The keycap faces are very concave, and cup your fingertips in an odd but enjoyable way. It is nice, but not nice enough that I'd buy my own for home use, even if I could on my current student-level budget.

It's been two months and he hasn't asked for it back. Well, that's my trip report.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

This is somewhat blasphemous for this thread, but can someone recommend a decent full size keyboard with the following:

scissor switch
concave keycaps
bog loving standard 104 key layout - standard home/ins/del cluster, standard enter and \ key arrangement, with a 2.5 key width (?) enter key and a 1.5 width \, standard arrow keys

The Logitech K360 has convex keycaps, so I think their cheapest scissor/concave combo is the K740 at $60, which is a little more than I want to spend. Are there any decent alternative?

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Bit of the old ultraviolet.

I get the hype now.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

Bestbuy is selling g710s on sale for 69.99 and I feel tempted to snag one and get into the world of mechanical keyboards, and I like the numpad and media keys it has, but is the build quality on them any good? I haven't had a great track record with Logitech's mice, but I don't know nothin about their keyboards. If it'd be a bad deal I'll probably go for something around the same price with fewer features if I'd be saving myself the hassle of having to send the thing in on warranty.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
How rare is the DSA Dolch keycap set from Signature Plastics? If it's in stock should I snap it up?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Rare? Are you going to resell it? Do you even want it?

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:
You should treat "rare" keyset like beany babies.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Rare? Are you going to resell it? Do you even want it?

I actually want it, don't care at all about resale value. I'm just wondering if it will be impossible to get if SP aren't selling them.

frogbs fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Nov 27, 2015

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

JacksAngryBiome posted:

It's been two months and he hasn't asked for it back.

My guess is he's back on the white/gray variable-weighted cylindrical concavity-having 104 or 103-key realforce that he had before.

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
That Pulse capset went on ebay for like a grand, so uh sell 'em while you got em

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
I was thinking I would pick up that Topre set on mass drop for my hhkb, but holy poo poo that is too rich for my blood.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Nondescript Van posted:

You should treat "rare" keyset like beany babies.

So basically this but with a pile of plastic instead:

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT posted:

Hasn't the quality of das taken a dump in recent years

Thought it had actually improved? They went from using mostly plastic materials to higher quality polished aluminium surfaces, for example. The switches used for the keys should also still be the same.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

tazjin posted:

Thought it had actually improved? They went from using mostly plastic materials to higher quality polished aluminium surfaces, for example. The switches used for the keys should also still be the same.

No, they changed switches on new boards which are knockoff cherry switches. A very dubious quality direction on blues which have consistency issues even with cherry who has crazy standards.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
Das keyboards were always kind of rinky-dink, if you ask me. It's just nobody cared at first, when they were the main game in town.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Just got a Ducky One with brown switches to use at the office.

Seems pretty good quality for the price, sure it's bare bones but it's certainly a lot more office appropriate than another G710+ like I use at home.

EpicCodeMonkey
Feb 19, 2011

dissss posted:

Just got a Ducky One with brown switches to use at the office.

Seems pretty good quality for the price, sure it's bare bones but it's certainly a lot more office appropriate than another G710+ like I use at home.

Got the same for home. It's really nice, however on my system there's about a 20% chance that it won't work after resuming from sleep. It's firmware related (keyboard backlight only briefly turns on when a key is pressed, but the device is dead on the USB controller when it's in a failure state) so hopefully they'll make a fix. Unplugging and re-plugging it fixes it whenever it happens.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:
Just got my alternate hhkb bluetooth controller by hasu. Super easy and straight forward. I spent about 20 minutes getting rid of the teensey I had glued in previously and just put the new controller right in.

Now I gotta spend a few hours with the keymap editor: http://www.tmk-kbd.com/tmk_keyboard/editor/hhkb_bt/

Xir
Jul 31, 2007

I smell fan fiction...
My Shine 4 is excellent.

The only down side is that during some games I get lazy about how I type and I make typos and use lots of abbreviations, which I never did previously. Probably just a coincidence.

I really like the feeling of the keyboard.

PBS
Sep 21, 2015
Currently using a Code keyboard with MX Clears.

Have two Poker IIs (60%) with MX Clears and a Varmilo tenkeyless with Gateron Browns.

All three are solid boards. The browns were a bit light for me and I don't really like the 60% for daily use.

Geology
Nov 6, 2005

Here is my shameful collection

Poker II w/ reds & Vortex red and white PBT caps
WASD Code w/ greens & Taihao bumblebee black and yellow PBT caps
Varmilo TKL w/ tactile greys & varmilo side-legend white & mint green PBT caps
Varmilo TKL w/ clears & assorted caps from PMK grab-bags
Keycool ten-key with Vortex red and white PBT caps and some stock keycool ABS caps
Full keysets: Ducky yellow ABS, CTRLALT.io Miami Twice, stock stuff that came with my KBs.

Not pictured:
Ducky Shine 3 w/ blues & Keycool rainbow set (gave to my fiance for her classroom)
Margo's Mods JD40 w/ greens & blacks

I didn't realize when I ordered them, but the Pimp My Keyboard grab bags were $35 for 1000 caps each! It took me several days to divide one bag into a bunch of little ziplocs by key type. I couldn't form a complete set of any one profile or color, so I just covered one of my Varmilo TKLs with random poo poo. Mixing SA-profile with other profiles makes it borderline unusable, but whatever it looks rad as gently caress. I think with the remaining ~1,900 keys I'll do some kind of art project, I dunno. Most of it is plain black/white/grey ABS and then are quite a few old-timey point-of-sale keys with weird words on them. Later I'll make a post with all the quirky weird keycaps I found.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Does anyone else besides cooler master make a mechanical keyboard without the arrow key sections? I find that I never use the arrow keys, but I use the numpad a ton so I would like to keep that while shrinking down the keyboard size a bit. The TK cooler masters look nice, but I was hoping for something in clears, and they just have the red/blue/brown.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

Geology posted:

I think with the remaining ~1,900 keys I'll do some kind of art project, I dunno.

You could make a coffee table by gluing them down to a board (maybe in interesting patterns or spelling out something) and then covering it with a piece of plexiglass.

ChineseBuffet
Mar 7, 2003

Geology posted:

Taihao bumblebee black and yellow PBT caps

How's the feel on these? There seemed to be a lot of complaints in the Massdrop thread about the antibacterial coating.

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Does anyone else besides cooler master make a mechanical keyboard without the arrow key sections? I find that I never use the arrow keys, but I use the numpad a ton so I would like to keep that while shrinking down the keyboard size a bit. The TK cooler masters look nice, but I was hoping for something in clears, and they just have the red/blue/brown.

I think you're looking for a 60% board, there are a few popular ones. If you want the number pad you can get them separate. I've not seen a lot of tenkeys without the arrow keys as well (not that they don't exist).

The Poker II is probably about the most popular currently and you can find it with clears.

PBS fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Nov 29, 2015

Geology
Nov 6, 2005

ChineseBuffet posted:

How's the feel on these? There seemed to be a lot of complaints in the Massdrop thread about the antibacterial coating.

They feel extra grainy, like fine grit sand paper. I just put those keycaps on yesterday so I haven't gotten much mileage on them yet to know if the coating degrades with time or anything. So far I don't mind it.

Kairos
Oct 29, 2007

It's like taking a drug. At first it seems you can control it, but before you know it you'll be hooked.

My advice: 'Just say no' to communism.
Apparently that coating can turn black over time or something like that. I don't know the exact details, but if it does get nasty you can apparently remove the coating with isopropyl alcohol.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Maybe this is more appropriate for the laptop thread, but does anyone have experience re-attaching keys to a Thinkpad (T405s)? My son popped the left control key off and I can't get it to properly seat back onto the scissor mechanism.

I've tried watching a few tutorials but they are literally all so insufferable that I cannot do it. Trying to find something that is just pictures and words seems to be impossible.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Maybe this is more appropriate for the laptop thread, but does anyone have experience re-attaching keys to a Thinkpad (T405s)? My son popped the left control key off and I can't get it to properly seat back onto the scissor mechanism.

I've tried watching a few tutorials but they are literally all so insufferable that I cannot do it. Trying to find something that is just pictures and words seems to be impossible.

The key should just snap on if you push it straight down. Where it gets tricky is when the scissor mechanism gets messed up. If that's the case, you should probably just (gently) remove another key and look at how it's supposed to fit together.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

And if the key is truly hosed you can pop the entire keyboard out. A replacement should be like $20 on ebay.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
While you're at it you can replace the clickpad with a button one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

joined the mech board @ work club

was gonna customize a bit more but wow are alps keycaps a pain in the rear end. tried taking an Alt key off but the fucker wouldn't budge, was definitely going to break the switch if I tried pulling any harder

• Locked thread