Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

A few folks have asked for bluetooth mechanical keyboards before. There's not a lot of options and some can be expensive. Massdrop has a tenkeyless one available for the next week or so with Gateron switches and it's $85 (may go down to 79.99), so I figure it's worth mentioning, despite being a little ugly. Being massdrop it'll take a while to get, but here ya go:

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/kc71-rgb-bluetooth-mechanical-keyboard?mode=guest_open

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

Those clear keycaps and rainbow vomit color scheme are horrible. I think I saw that you can get solid keycaps or even a no-keycap option

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:
There is also a new hhkb bluetooth model if you're a high roller. I think it's around $380 and you'll have to get it from their official site.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

Fart.Bleed.Repeat. posted:

Those clear keycaps and rainbow vomit color scheme are horrible. I think I saw that you can get solid keycaps or even a no-keycap option
:ssh: the colours are programmable.

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
I think the translucency is the issue

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

It was designed for 15 years ago for the original iMac.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
The lack of any space between the arrow keys and the cluster of useless buttons above it makes it look hella ugly too because it just doesn't look right.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
What kinda keys do the poker 3 come with vs the 60% WASD rebrand? They're the same price and looks like the same case and PCB so I'm not sure why I'd order one over the other.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hi dudes. I am presently using a Logitech G110, and before that used a G11. I'm looking for a similar keyboard—with separate media keys (not Function keys that serve dual-purpose), some kind of backlighting or illumination. It should be a full keyboard with numberpad, arrow keys, etc., in the standard positions, and ideally it is wired. Optional features like additional macro keys and game mode switching and all those whizzbangs are fine but not necessary. The simple solution seems to be to grab the current-generation Logitech keyboard, but those are for some reason about twice to three times as expensive as I remember my last two keyboards being. G110s are apparently no longer made or I'd buy one of those, and the G105 lacks dedicated media keys. Any advice of what to buy and where? It doesn't have to be Logitech.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Logitech's gaming keyboards have gone mechanical which is why they're more expensive.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
What is out there for wireless mechanical these days?
Is there such a thing as a.. I dunno a hub or whatever I could connect an existing keyboard to that would send out wireless signal ?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

xgalaxy posted:

Is there such a thing as a.. I dunno a hub or whatever I could connect an existing keyboard to that would send out wireless signal ?

Something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Nulaxy-Wired-Keyboard-Bluetooth-Adapter/dp/B00T5YXNL0
?

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

xgalaxy posted:

Yes: http://handheldsci.com/kb

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

http://www.maxkeyboard.com/max-keyboard-blackbird-tenkeyless-tkl-cherry-mx-backlit-mechanical-keyboard.html

Why is this 99 from amazon, 149 from the manufacturer, and 189 from newegg? Keyboard people make no drat sense.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Because newegg used to be incredible but now is in the late stages of being run out of business by Amazon, sadly.

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

I noticed that on newegg when I was building last month, some of the items were way skewed pricing.

I think I'm gonna push the button on this, to replace the dell OEM that Ive been hanging on to for ages for no reason other than it works :shrug: Everything else is new so why not? Ive been looking for a nice clean keyboard, blue backlit, without a shitload of extra media/function/macro keys. The other serious one ive been checking out is the CM Devastator for a non-mechanical, before getting into the lines that start at $150 or so

edit: ordered

Fart.Bleed.Repeat. fucked around with this message at 15:35 on May 31, 2016

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Deadly Hume posted:

Logitech's gaming keyboards have gone mechanical which is why they're more expensive.

Do you know of any alternatives?

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Eric the Mauve posted:

Because newegg used to be incredible but now is in the late stages of being run out of business by Amazon, sadly.

That and a lot of the stuff is "marketplace" now in which it's sort of like Amazon where companies just sell stuff via the newegg website. I think that expensive max that was on there was shipping from some company in Asia.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
Anyone got recommendations for a keyboard to use from the couch? Preferably one with a trackpad or similar solution built in. Price isn't important.

Is this the best one still being made?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA6502TM9610

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Jmcrofts posted:

Anyone got recommendations for a keyboard to use from the couch? Preferably one with a trackpad or similar solution built in. Price isn't important.

Well, if price is not important: http://www.corsair.com/en-us/landing/lapdog

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

This is a little hardcore for my needs. I don't need a full mouse or gaming features, this is for media center stuff mostly, and opening games so I can play them with a controller.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.

Jmcrofts posted:

Logitech K400 is the longstanding recommendation I've heard from htpc dudes. It's also like $30 on Amazon, so I'd try it first before I drop $90 on that one.

Nietzschean posted:

The Logitech G610 is on sale at Amazon for $90.

Viper_3000 fucked around with this message at 20:41 on May 31, 2016

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

Fart.Bleed.Repeat. posted:

http://www.maxkeyboard.com/max-keyboard-blackbird-tenkeyless-tkl-cherry-mx-backlit-mechanical-keyboard.html

Why is this 99 from amazon, 149 from the manufacturer, and 189 from newegg? Keyboard people make no drat sense.

I just recently bought a Rosewill keyboard from Amazon for $80 (it was called an RK-9000V2), which was $20 cheaper than it was on newegg. I'm pretty sure that Rosewill is newegg's store brand so I couldn't figure out why it was being sold by Amazon for $20 less. I actually checked again and the price is back down to $80 on newegg but it was definitely at $100 a couple weeks ago.

The keyboard itself is also built better than the Razer Something I had a few years ago, which required me to file down a bunch of keys so they wouldn't stick together and then died in a catastrophic accident involving my monitor and a glass of water.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Jmcrofts posted:

I'm a huge fan of this one: https://amzn.com/B00IICMUWS

I have had the Logitech K400 and was very frustrated by it's weak receiver even across the living room; I had the signal affected by my knees being in the way. The Microsoft one has programmable shortcut keys that work great in Windows 10 and the battery life is comparable to the Logitech one.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Nietzschean posted:

Yeah, I did have a look to see if they still made any cheaper ones with media keys, like I recently got my mother the cheapest corded Logitech I could find to replace the one where the legends rubbed off and it was less than $20, but no media keys or stuff like that (which she doesn't use anyway).

(It was an interim thing - I might get her something nice like a Ducky before too long even though she'd definitely a two-finger typist.)

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Wasabi the J posted:

I have had the Logitech K400 and was very frustrated by it's weak receiver even across the living room; I had the signal affected by my knees being in the way. The Microsoft one has programmable shortcut keys that work great in Windows 10 and the battery life is comparable to the Logitech one.

I Read some reviews and this sounds perfect. Thanks man

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Wasabi the J posted:

i had the same problem with the k400 and it was because it was catching interference from having a usb 3.0 thumb drive plugged in next to the nano receiver. once i unplugged the thumb drive and moved it to the back, it worked perfectly

Geology
Nov 6, 2005

I have those tai-hao yellow and black keycaps with the antibacterial coating. They turned black so I cleaned them with rubbing alcohol which worked great but 1 week later and they're black again. These keycaps are dead to me now.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Geology posted:

I have those tai-hao yellow and black keycaps with the antibacterial coating. They turned black so I cleaned them with rubbing alcohol which worked great but 1 week later and they're black again. These keycaps are dead to me now.

Did you soak and really scrub? I hear the stuff is a pain to get fully off.

Geology
Nov 6, 2005

ColHannibal posted:

Did you soak and really scrub? I hear the stuff is a pain to get fully off.

No I just soaked some cotton pads with alcohol and lightly wiped. The black stains disappeared pretty much instantly so I assumed it worked. I guess I can soak the keys and scrub them harder orrrrrrr I could shop for new keys :D

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

Geology posted:

No I just soaked some cotton pads with alcohol and lightly wiped. The black stains disappeared pretty much instantly so I assumed it worked. I guess I can soak the keys and scrub them harder orrrrrrr I could shop for new keys :D
You're in luck, MassDrop has black/yellow doubleshot PBT keycaps w/o the antibiosis coating: https://www.massdrop.com/buy/pbt-double-shot-keycap-set

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I'm looking to venture into the world of mechanical keyboards because I'm building a new computer and figured, why not get a fancy keyboard instead of the $10 disposable ones I normally go for. Plus I'm a nerd. My primarily use will be for gaming with a secondary of general computer usage (forums, chat, occasional word processing). Since I know very little about mechanical keyboards, I did a tiny amount of research and saw that wasdkeyboards.com had a sampler set, so I bought that to get a feel for some different Cherry MX switches. I genuinely didn't think I'd like the clicky blue or green, but they are pretty satisfying in a weird way. I could also see myself being perfectly happy with either the brown or red. The black and clear seem a little stiff for my liking. I think my current two favorites are either blue or red.

I'm looking to free up a little space on my desk, so I think I'm going to be at least looking for a tenkeyless board. The look of a 60% is pretty appealing, but I do use the arrow keys fairly often while typing. If I could get one set up to use the right modifier keys as arrows, I think I could make the transition.

The idea of being able to swap out keycaps for a new look is pretty appealing, and something I can see myself doing. It's like rearranging the furniture in a room without buying anything new... except I'd have to buy new keycaps. It's a bad analogy, whatever.

I really like the look of the cases that have floating keys. Plus, I imagine they're easier to clean without having the keys sunk into the case. Just a blast of air once a day to dislodge the stupid cat hair that inevitably finds its way into everything in our house.

So, a few questions.
1) Are there any particular brands to favor or avoid? I've seen a few names mentioned in various places like Ducky, Poker, and HHKB that seem like favorites. And I've also seen lots of mention about Razer KBs being decent, but their QC being awful.
2) Should I try to stick with Cherry MX switches, or are switches from other companies generally okay? I've seen cheaper keyboards with switches from companies like GATERON and OUTEMU, but I don't know how they hold up compared to the fairly well known Cherry MXs.

Aranan fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Jun 12, 2016

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Aranan posted:

I'm looking to venture into the world of mechanical keyboards because I'm building a new computer and figured, why not get a fancy keyboard instead of the $10 disposable ones I normally go for. Plus I'm a nerd. My primarily use will be for gaming with a secondary of general computer usage (forums, chat, occasional word processing). Since I know very little about mechanical keyboards, I did a tiny amount of research and saw that wasdkeyboards.com had a sampler set, so I bought that to get a feel for some different Cherry MX switches. I genuinely didn't think I'd like the clicky blue or green, but they are pretty satisfying in a weird way. I could also see myself being perfectly happy with either the brown or red. The black and clear seem a little stiff for my liking. I think my current two favorites are either blue or red.

I'm looking to free up a little space on my desk, so I think I'm going to be at least looking for a tenkeyless board. The look of a 60% is pretty appealing, but I do use the arrow keys fairly often while typing. If I could get one set up to use the right modifier keys as arrows, I think I could make the transition.

The idea of being able to swap out keycaps for a new look is pretty appealing, and something I can see myself doing. It's like rearranging the furniture in a room without buying anything new... except I'd have to buy new keycaps. It's a bad analogy, whatever.

I really like the look of the cases that have floating keys. Plus, I imagine they're easier to clean without having the keys sunk into the case. Just a blast of air once a day to dislodge the stupid cat hair that inevitably finds its way into everything in our house.

So, a few questions.
1) Are there any particular brands to favor or avoid? I've seen a few names mentioned in various places like Ducky, Poker, and HHKB that seem like favorites. And I've also seen lots of mention about Razer KBs being decent, but their QC being awful.
2) Should I try to stick with Cherry MX switches, or are switches from other companies generally okay? I've seen cheaper keyboards with switches from companies like GATERON and OUTEMU, but I don't know how they hold up compared to the fairly well known Cherry MXs.

Gateron and other Cherry ripoffs are generally to be avoided due to lackluster, shoddy, or inconsistent manufacture; some people like Gateron and Zealio in particular, but those people are wrong. If you're buying a Cherry switch, buy an actual Cherry switch, not a replica made due to an expired patent.

However, Matias switches are like heaven, and are the most satisfying switches to press, regardless of whether you prefer clicky, tactile, or linear. The keycaps are definitely less available to the point of only having one choice outside of scavenging old boards, but the feel of the switches makes up for that, IMO.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
The bigger question is if you want tactile or linear switches and if you care about backlighting and RGB.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I genuinely don't know if I'd prefer a tactile or linear switch. Obviously they're different, and they feel different when I test it out, but I don't know which one I'd rather game on or be typing on for an extended period of time. It's kind of hard to test that without going out and buying two keyboards, and I'd rather be directing some of my computer budget toward, well, a computer. :)

Is RGB just denoting color-changing backlighting?

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Aranan posted:

I genuinely don't know if I'd prefer a tactile or linear switch. Obviously they're different, and they feel different when I test it out, but I don't know which one I'd rather game on or be typing on for an extended period of time. It's kind of hard to test that without going out and buying two keyboards, and I'd rather be directing some of my computer budget toward, well, a computer. :)

Is RGB just denoting color-changing backlighting?

Well the keyboard you have been using now with the rubber domes is tactile, think about if there was no bump telling you that you hit the point of actuation.... it would be horrible right?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Don’t buy into the nonsense that linear switches are “better for gaming”.

Maybe you’ll prefer them and maybe you won’t, but reality isn’t a fighting game where all aspects are ~balanced~. Sometimes you’ll find that a thing has no redeeming qualities.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
JUST BUY A TOPRE

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I think I'm going to buy another mechanical keyboard. I don't actually need it but I'm going to buy it anyway. This one will most likely be staying at home since I leave my current mechanical at work, and I'm getting fed up with my lovely "gaming" keyboard at home.

Just picked up one of those switch tester thingys from WASD since I've never tried green or clear switches before. I'm probably just going to wind up buying another brown keyboard though, I've only typed on blues and browns before and the blues feel pretty obnoxious.

I don't actually have any questions I'm just :justpost:ing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Don't listen to that guy zealios are awesome. The first manufacturing run was fairly inconsistent but that's been fixed and I have not read any complaints about them recently.

• Locked thread