Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008
Are the Dell keyboards still in high demand these days? Pretty good key-feel for around ten bucks a pop, unless there have been developments in the "good basic and cheap" category lately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008

Sasquatch! posted:

I really wanted to like this keyboard because I liked it's added functionality, but I absolutely hated the feel of it. YMMV of course.

I still swear by the Microsoft Comfort Curve 2000. They keys feel fantastic, and it has play/pause and volume keys. The only thing I wish it had was a built-in USB hub, but other than that, it's perfect.

Ugh, our school has these and I absolutely abhor them. My hands slip on the keys and I typo all over the place. If you like short key travel and a "smooth" typing feel then I'm sure you'll like it, but I tend to prefer the exact opposite. I guess keyboards really are one of the most variable parts depending on what you prefer.

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008

Glumwheels posted:

http://geekhack.org/forumdisplay.php?f=31

These guys are a bit crazy about keyboards but there are a lot of reviews, pictures, and discussions about all the different types of switches etc. They even have sound clips of different keyboards... Most people over there recommend brown switches for gaming over black.

These guys are nuts. It's like a forum for meth addicts who all treat it like a normal hobby, except for keyboards.

Edit:

We got your anime in your keyboards so you can

Jetfire fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Aug 23, 2009

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008
Filco's Majestouch line recently released a Tactile Click version that uses the clicky-type Cherry Blue Switches. They also released a blank version, like the Das Ultimate, in limited quantities. I'm seriously contemplating this since it's a fair bit cheaper than the Das. Does anyone have hands-on experience with either or both?

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008
Just logged in my order for a Filco Blue after all the positive feedback pushing me over the edge. My Acer OEM keyboard works pretty well all things considered (i.e. it came with my PC), but I do get some sort finger joints lately since I've been typing a lot more. The clicky noises on the blues are sweet succour to a typewriter-loving, nostalgic-for-things-before-his-time journalist. Oh god I hope this is worth it :ohdear:

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008
I'm typing on my Filco Majestouch Tactile Click right now. It feels pretty fantastic. The keys need a much lighter touch than the mucky older Mac keyboards in our work office right now, and because of that I'm sort of slipping up and making a few more typos than I usually do. However, it's not like my Acer OEM where I would feel sore in the finger joints after a few hours. You don't have to bottom out the keys to get them to register, which is great, but it isn't that hard to do so and they make a really satisfying "thump" when you do, so I tend to bottom them out since I'm still getting used to applying less force than I would for a membrane board. The board itself is built really solidly (i.e. it's really heavy and the frame doesn't creak or bend at all), except for the feet at the back/bottom, which aren't exactly rock-solid, but I don't use those anyways. The LEDs aren't as annoyingly bright as they looked in some of the photos either, so if it was a problem I gather they must have fixed them by now.

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008

Tab8715 posted:

So, what the hell is the difference between all the Filco keyboard models?

EDIT : So, if I just want a keyboard I can type for long periods of time and quickly - I want just want the standard one, not the NKRO?

Tactile Touch - you feel the key register, doesn't make the loud clicky noise.
Tactile Click - you feel the key register, and it makes a loud clicky noise.
Linear Force - you don't feel or hear anything, the keys rocket all the way to the bottom.

I don't think most people need NKRO unless you regularly press as many keys at once as you have fingers.

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008
Also, a more expensive board =/= faster typing speed. It can definitely help; I've got a Filco Blue Cheery board and my WPM has increased. I also made a whole lot more typos in the beginning because it took some time to get used to the feel of the keys. The feel/comfort of a board is probably more tangible than any real WPM increase; that will depend on how well you get used to the board, because some people love mech-keyboards, and others despise them.

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008
If it's important that your typing is as quiet as possible, then for God's sake don't get a Filco. Loud clicky-clicky is half the reason to get one in the first place.

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008
I'm just noting that Filco/cherry switches are loud in comparison to many other keyboard types. If you want something quiet above other considerations, there are plenty of alternatives that make it a priority.

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008
Cyber Clean is loving amazing. It's best to use it in tandem with a regular air duster/blower, but I was completely shocked at how well it gets all the gross poo poo out from under the keycaps.

Edit: \/ \/ Uh actually no, it works very well, better than I expected it to considering its lukewarm reception on several sites online. If it didn't work I would certainly say so to someone who was wondering whether or not to spend money on it. I'd take photographs for proof the next time I used it if I didn't figure you've already made your opinion on the topic and refuse to accept any alternative.

Jetfire fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jan 29, 2011

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008
Is there another option for a tenkeyless Cherry Brown board that's better than the Leopold at Elitekeyboards? I'm not against getting one from there, I'm just curious if there are any options for me to compare it to.

The not-numpad is fairly important since I'm looking for a board I can take to work without getting in the way/sticking out of my bag on the transit.

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008

glompix posted:

Easy answer - have two good keyboards. Tenkey at work, TKL at home. Your favorite switch in both.

Best solution for me: Tenkey Blue switch at home, Tenkeyless Brown switch at work, to avoid cluttering the generally cramped workspace and not annoy the hell out of my co-workers.

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008
What better way to work on your WPM/accuracy this week than with Typing of the Dead: Overkill? With an average of 189 more instances of the word "gently caress" than Typeracer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008

The Keyboard Waffle Iron

• Locked thread