Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Full Circle posted:

I know microsoft has some silly gamer keyboard with a numpad that goes on the left or right.

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/gaming/productdetails.aspx?pid=102

You can say what you want about the X6's having mushy keys or its build quality, but I absolutely love using the damned thing. When I'm at home and I've got my G13 I detach the keypad and have a servicable small form-factor keyboard with good quality backlighting and awesome media controls. Then I take it to work (I work in an inbound call centre), whack the keypad onto the left-hand side (the magnets it attaches with aren't weak), turn the backlighting down and have a keyboard that is awesome for data entry.

There are a few quirks with the software for it though - mainly that the macro function absolutely sucks at complex multi-key presses compared to Logitech's software. On the other hand, Logitech's volume controls drove me insane - if a media player had focus then it would ignore the global volume controls and only control that program - with the X6 its the other way around which is awesome for emergency muting.

And to top it all off, if it gets stolen/damaged it isn't as prohibitively expensive to replace as a mechanical keyboard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Priam posted:

Is gaming important to you? If not, get the dinovo, if it is, get the illuminated.

If you're looking at multi-key presses, skip the Illuminated. I ended up switching to a Microsoft X6 because about a third of my combos weren't registering.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

KracKiwi posted:

Could you list them?

I remember reading about a program a while back that would test a keyboard for multiple-key-press problems, does anyone know the name of it?

edit - durrr it's called KeyScan, and is shown in the Amazon.com video review of the Logitech keyboard.

I can't really remember all of them (it was when I'd just migrated over from a G15 v1), but I do remember from the basic "left + right shift +" test there were about 8-9 keys missing and that was just on the letters, not numbers/symbols.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

weapey posted:

Out of interest, do you find yourself using the joystick at all? I'd consider that as a WASD replacement, but find I wouldn't use the joystick at all, as I WASD with my right hand.

I don't use the joystick for wads, instead I bind it for useful functions that I just want thumb access to. In WoW it's generally my tab targetting buttons, while in FPS games it's things like grenades/scoreboards/taunts/etc. This works out nicely with the mouse style buttons being jump/crouch.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Full Circle posted:

I've been using the same Razer mouse for 3 years and two of my friends have been using them nearly as long with no problems to report. Did you consider emailing support?

I bet its an older Razer model mouse. Honestly, everything they've made from the Habu onwards has been plagued with problems due to lovely manufacturing/design. I've had problems with the habu, lachesis, exactmat, barracuda headset, and n52:te. Oh and *never* buy any of their "Powered by Razer" stuff, because it turns into a nightmare trying to get either company to fix the damned faults with the products.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

EDIT 2: Is the Sidewinder X6 any good? Does that "ghosting" thing happen when using the arrow keys instead of WASD?

The X6 doesn't have the antighosting that the X4 has ( but I've never noticed it any issues on my x6 anyway and I use all sort of whacky key combos on mine - played a Hunter on WoW). I love the gently caress out of mine, though when I eventually upgrade I'll probably have to fork out the extra for a mechanical one missing the keypad because I detached it one day and about a month later realised I'd never put it back on.

If you go with the X6 and you don't really need the programmable keys - don't install the intellitype drivers and just use the default windows ones. The intellitype drivers can cause the volume knob to lag something silly (all the media keys work with the base drivers anyway).

Tornhelm fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Nov 28, 2010

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Avalanche posted:

LEOPOLD PREORDERS are up!

Go goons go!

The cost to ship one to Australia is over half the cost of the keyboard. :( Maybe if I can find at least another Aussie who wants one too the cost starts becoming more respectable (though considering the BlackWidow is less than AU$100 possibly not - even if the macro keys on it are loving annoying).

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

EvilMuppet posted:

I've had it for less than a week and the intention is definatly to sell it once the new board comes in. I'm in Australia though so with shipping what it is it's only going to be worth selling localy.

You can probably offload it to me then. If you don't have PMs here, you can hit me up on OCAU or Whirlpool too. I need a keyboard to drag off to work with me. :australia:

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

I don't know if this is a problem with other Razer Blackwidows, but mine has this annoying problem where if I need to get into the BIOS or anything like that, I need to plug in another keyboard because it hasn't powered on for some reason. By the time windows has booted its on, but yeah reinstalling Windows was fun until I worked out why I couldn't get my boot menu up to boot from my dvd drive.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

NihilCredo posted:

Is it connected via PS/2?

No, which is even more annoying. The only lights on them are the logo and the numpad lights, yet my logitech illuminated I keep in my bag to take to work with me is fine from boot even when plugging it into the front usbs.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

vty posted:

This is motherboard based. Your system just doesn't have USB drivers for input until Windows/whatever is loaded. Has nothing to do with the keyboard model or brand.

Was your old keyboard USB and worked properly to get into the BIOS?

Yeah, my other keyboard was USB too (logitech illuminated). Fairly sure its more a BlackWidow problem than anything.

In other news for fellow Aussies, PC Case Gear now stock the Das Model S with cherry brown/blues and with/without lettering. In about two weeks they're getting the replacement WADS keys and red escape key in too.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

WASDF posted:

From my experience - Razer is a really cheap brand.

I'm looking into a nice mechanical switch keyboard and naturally I was planning on getting the Das Keyboard. Looking at the price and the features of the Das Keyboard makes me reconsider. I was at Best Buy and saw the Razer BlackWidow Elite keyboard for the same price and mechanical switches with media buttons and assignable keys.

I'm worried about the letters wearing and the over-all plasticy feel of most Razer products. Anyone have any experience with this keyboard? Is it a good keyboard? Does it ware easily?

I'm using the non backlit version and its as solid as a truck. Haven't noticed any wear on it, but the only real potential problem is the placement of the macro keys - until you get used to it, it'd probably pay not to bind them to anything because you will hit them accidentally (and miss the escape key when going for that). Other than that though, it does seem like a fairly major step up quality wise compared to Razer's normal quality control.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Stabby McDamage posted:

Having some trouble with my Blackwidow...I got it used with some minor damage (cracked corner, missing keycap), but it looks like it has more problems then that.

I'm having trouble with some keys sticking down, as if the clicky mechanism inside the switch is getting subtly stuck sometimes. I don't know what the people before me did to this board, but I'm betting it's more than just cracking the corner.

Any ideas on how to rehabilitate these keyswitches?

Take it apart and clean it - bet they spilled coke or something and didn't bother to clean it properly.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

general chaos posted:

I really wish I had a Best Buy near me that stocked the Razer Black Widow or Steelseries 7G. I've only ever tried keyboards with Cherry MX brown switches, and while I enjoyed it immensely, it's hard to justify taking an expensive plunge into buying a set of cherry mx blues or blacks.

I have a $50 gift card to Tiger Direct that has literally been gathering dust for the past two years. I realize I can use it to put a dent into purchasing from a relatively limited selection of mechanical keyboards, but it's hard to take the risk when there are some fairly mixed reviews on some of the models.

Any horror stories on the following models?

Adesso MKB-135B Pro
Adesso MKB-125B
SIIG JK-US0112-S1 (Fukka white alps?) (2KRO over ps/2 seriously gives me pause)
ThermalTake KB-MEK007US Meka
ThermalTake eSPORTS MEKA G1 (possibly unfounded reservations against cherry MX blacks for use in anything besides gaming - probably stemming from never having tried them)
And the gaudy Razers.

It seems the Razers and the Adessos both have some quality control issues stemming from being the same OEM. Are the reviews overblowing the build quality?

I'm leaning towards one of the Adessos but I'm not sure if I want to go with the more compact model or go with the standard layout featuring a usb hub and audio jacks. Both are rather tempting.

If I go with a set of cherry blues, I may end up ordering some O-rings from WASD if the noise proves to be too much.

On the Razer front the blackwidow actually feels like its built solidly, unlike everything else they make. I've even used it to swat spiders I've found in my room. :D

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

I was bored today so went and bought a Thermaltake Meka G1 (uses cherry blacks) mainly for NKRO which is missing on the BlackWidow. I can definitely tell how the lack of clickyness and the weight of the keys would make this a good transitional keyboard for those who are coming from a "normal" keyboard, but now that I'm used to the cherry blues in my Razer the keys just take a little bit too much effort for me to like using them.

Edit: I'm trying to decide on what my next keyboard will be - can't decide between a leopold tenkeyless with browns or a leopold full keyboard with reds.

Tornhelm fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Sep 12, 2011

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

HalloKitty posted:

I wish there were some macro keys (mostly to the left of tab/caps/shift) for additional binds, but apart from that, it's so far in front of the competition from my point of view.

As someone who has used a BlackWidow, you don't. It didn't take long to get used to it, but those macro keys are the biggest weakness the board has.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

That and they keep on screwing up trying to hit the escape key. There's also a distinct lack of things you can macro them to, like dedicated media control keys.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Trickyrive posted:

Any thoughts on the new Corsair Vengeance Series? It says they use cherry MX switches. http://hothardware.com/News/Corsair-Targets-Gamers-With-New-Vengeance-Keyboards-Mice-And-Headsets1/

Dedicated media controls with cherry red switches, gently caress yeah. The MMO version looks is like if the Logitech G15 was actually good, and the FPS version comes with the user-replacable coloured keys as standard (not sure if the MMO version does too - hope it would though) and a small wrist rest for your left hand while gaming. Not sure which version I'll end up getting as I can see the attraction for both, but as it is I'm definitely holding out for one of them no matter the price.

Tornhelm fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Sep 17, 2011

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

devians posted:

Dont suppose you could share which retailer this was?

It would be pccasegear.com - they've built up a fairly decent selection of mechanical keyboards to choose from.

Also according to PCCG the new Corsair keyboards have been pushed back to the 23rd of December for us (a day or two ago it was the middle of November) so it'll probably be about the 14-15th of December they get released in the US.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Tedronai66 posted:

I'll check and quote or edit this when I get home tonight, but I think they wore out on my most used (WASD, etc) keys. I know they all got shiny pretty fast.

I've had the non-backlit Blackwidow for a while and the keycaps on mine are fine - do you have the backlit version?

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

glompix posted:

Not necessarily. Razer gets a lot of hate, (rightfully so - they have some QA issues and their designs are usually too "g4m3r" for functioning adults) but honestly I have the non-ultimate version and it's fine once you get used to it. For the first two weeks, I was hitting the macro keys by accident instead of Ctrl.

I'd actually look at the Das Keyboard. It's about the same price, has a USB hub, and has a Mac version. It also gets more acclaim.

I've been thinking about trying out the Razer BlackWidow Tournament Edition - 10keyless, backlit and those stupid macro keys on the side have been removed. Only problem is that I'm fairly sure it uses cherry blues and not reds/browns/blacks.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

chippy posted:

Excuse my ignorance, but why did you you need the numpad flipped to use it left handed? I just tried it with my left hand and it seems absolutely fine. Is that because I'm right handed? I don't understand.

To be honest, even as a left hander (using a right handed setup) I prefer the keypad on the left hand side. It makes numeric data entry a hell of a lot easier (especially with sections where I need to click between fields instead of tabbing), and I find its actually better for gaming (and to a lesser extent for general typing) as the mouse and keyboard section are in a much better position for ergonomics.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

xcore posted:

I was thinking about getting a G710 for my new keyboard as my current one has a couple of sticky keys.

This think is $189 in Australia. gently caress that.

As I have never used a mechanical keyboard, this whole brown/blue/red thing is new to me. If brown are the "quiet" ones, are they still louder than a regular keyboard and "quiet" is just a relative term? I kind of dig the idea of clicky keys but if brown is still "quiet clicky" I guess I could dig it.

By the way, how do mechanical keyboards go with things like dust and spills? Are they are more robust than regular keyboards or less?

If you're going through PCCG, totally go for the Ducky Shine Zero - it's less than half the price (or the comedy option the Azio Levetron Mech5).

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

mfcrocker posted:

It's time to get rid of my lovely budget keyboard and get something worthwhile. I like the look of K70. Is the K95 particularly worth the extra £15? I'd be amazed if I used the macro keys.

Also, is there a gem of a keyboard I've perhaps missed in the ~£100-125 bracket?

(good keyboards are so loving expensive holy poo poo)

Personally, if I was spending more than money than a K70, I'd fork out that little bit extra and get a Topre RealForce instead of the K95.

For the budget option though, even considering its Razer the Blackwidow Tournament Edition is fairly well put together, tenkeyless and has backlighting. I gave mine to a friend because she's at University and the sound of the cherry blues will drive her boyfriend insane and are nice for typing.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

mfcrocker posted:

Sadly the RealForce is a shitload of money in the UK :smith:

Is the K70 an upgrade over the Qpad MK-80? I can pick an MK-80 up for about £30 cheaper than the K70.

Not much of one - looks to be more of a trade off. The K70 has the dedicated media keys which were a big factor for me, but it has one less USB port, the headphone/mic out if they make a difference for you and different coloured backlighting. Personally I prefer the red because depending the blue can disrupt your sleeping. As far as the keys go, you can get the Qpad in Cherry Reds so they should feel the same to type on as the K70 since they both look like they use the same type of plastic for the keycaps.

Also in your price range is the Coolermaster mechanical keyboards which have backlighting, so it pretty much just comes down to the keyboard layout / backlighting colour / key type you want really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Knifegrab posted:

Don't get the corsair RGB's unless you are super sure it will work with your computer because mine, still like 6 months later, sucks fat dick and freezes all the time.

You know that sliding switch at the back of your keyboard? If the animated colours freeze, slide it to one of the notches, wait for windows to recognise it and then slide it back, and your animations will be back again fine. Thats if you notice it .

• Locked thread