Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I use the Steel Series 7G for gaming, it's phenomenal in that it's hyper responsive and doesn't 'ghost':

However it is horrible to type with since it's hyper responsive. The slightest touch and you typo. Hence why I pulled out my old Dell keyboard (after this thread inspired me):

I've put the 7G behind the monitor, I'll be pulling it out to game with when I'm gaming now...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Nija posted:

I had one of those GIVEN to me, and I had to pass it on for one simple reason.

Why the hell is the backspace key not standard size? That single thing alone completely ruins the whole keyboard for me.

Doesn't bother me at all... I suppose it's because I'm used to 'feeling for the edge' of keys when I type to know what I'm pressing; i.e. I'll know if I am hitting the right key if (besides the appropriate action taking place on the screen) if there is an appropriate amount of distance or space besides it.

This is the reason I could never use the Logitech G series or the Tarantula; they both had keys to the sides of the actual keyboard, so by pure feel the side keys were not the same. Muscle memory prevented me from using those. Every time I went to hit the enter key on the numpad, I hit some stupid rear end macro key... Pissed me off immensely.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Sizzlechest posted:

Congratulations. You have a skill that's been obviated by modern technology. Do you find it difficult using a Dvorak layout on your smartphone?

I too enjoy looking like a 60 year old summer intern from bumfuck nowhere using a keyboard for the fourth time in his entire life, hunting and pecking for letters with my index fingers.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Who the gently caress TRAINS to touch type? It comes naturally as long as you've been using a computer since you grew up.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Lamps indeed are very useful. I prefer the uplighting sort:
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10139879

I have 3 of these in the Living/computer/kitchen room, and 1 in each of the bedrooms. Good lighting without glare.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

gently caress that noise. After a full size keyboard for years, laptop keyboards make my fingers cramp. poo poo's not far enough apart, and the depress distance of the keys is jarringly shallow.

I do like the noise thinkpad keyboards make though. Sounds slick.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Cherry blacks are the best for gaming. You can spam the poo poo out of them.

Perfect for both MMOs and FPS.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Personally I'd rather get a bigger desk before going ten key less...

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Can someone recommend a cherry blue wireless full size keyboard?

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Tedronai66 posted:

There MIGHT be one from xarmor. I know they had one with browns. But I think pickings are extremely slim in the wireless mechanical category.

Cream_Filling posted:

They basically don't exist except for the one mentioned earlier, which most people have only seen out of stock on online shopping sites. I think Filco makes some bluetooth one, too, but it's Japan only I think.

Basically you'll just have to wait until the rumored wireless USB standard gets established, probably in the next 2-3 years or so, and then plug one of those into a keyboard. Either that or find some dude on geekhack who will hack one together for you for an outrageous sum.

Thanks, I'll stick it out with my current HP KU-0316, which the office was going to throw away...

It's better for typing on than my Steel Series 7G as the SS is too linear...

I'll get a cherry blue when (if) a wireless version finally comes out.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Could I get a recommendation for a keyboard with the following features:

full size
cherry blues
wireless if possible, wired if not
UK layout if possible, US if not

FYI, I am in the UK.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Not sure what you mean by ISO, but if ISO means UK instead of US layout, then:

Wireless is more important than UK layout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

That filco looks the business. Any other suggestions?

If not, I'll likely pull the trigger at the end of the day.

• Locked thread