Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pendragon
Jun 18, 2003

HE'S WATCHING YOU

~Coxy posted:

1) A "programmer's" keyboard. It should have separate keys for braces and parens at the very least, and spare function keys up the wazoo. Dual numpads would be nice too, but you can always buy a seperate USB numpad so that's not a big deal.
This is the closest I've found:

Programmer Dvorak

It's not a different keyboard, but a different layout that makes the unshifted number keys do parentheses, brackets, curly brackets, pluses, equals, etc. Numbers are typed using the shift key. This takes a LOT of getting used to, especially if you move the numbers around like the layout does (which actually makes a lot of sense once you get used to it). If you mainly program, it's a decent option. I use it on a programmable keyboard at work with a modified QWERTY layout, and it is very nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pendragon
Jun 18, 2003

HE'S WATCHING YOU

Lum posted:

This keyboard is the most comfortable I've ever typed on. Key press is very smooth, layout is fantastic, and you can dynamically remap the entire layout on the fly. I have trigger finger in my pinkies, and the fact that I can rebind any key and hook up a pedal and rebind the shift key has kept me able to type. Best $300 I've ever spent.

Pendragon
Jun 18, 2003

HE'S WATCHING YOU

Jiblet posted:

I don't suppose it's quiet is it?
It's around £180 though so there's no way I'd buy it without trying it out somewhere, and I can't think of a brick and mortar store in the UK that would let me try one out.

Depending on how hard you depress the keys, I think it's about average noise level: not as quiet as a laptop/scissor keys, not as loud as an Model M. Maybe slightly louder than a Dell. The keyboard does have an audible click made through an internal speaker that you can disable, although I leave it enabled so I know when the keypress is registered.

I doubt any store would carry them as it's pretty specialized. I bought mine without being able to try it out, and I don't regret it one bit. If you do have problems in your hands or wrists and type for a living, I recommend getting it. I promise you won't regret it.

• Locked thread