Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I have a filco NKRO fullsize w/blues coming tomorrow and I have to rebind my windows key before it gets here. I've had my windows keys ripped off on every keyboard I've had until now.

Is it bad that I had it delivered to my job so that I can type on it until 5:00pm?

Salt Fish fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Apr 5, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

EvilMuppet posted:

What? Why? It's probably the single most useful key on the whole board.

Why would I use keyboard shortcuts? Like I'm gonna spend 150 bucks on a keyboard and not use the hell out of it.

Joking aside though my APM is way too gosu to ever need shortcuts.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

weapey posted:

While on the NKRO topic, my Filco has NKRO, but the numpad isn't NKRO.

Since I'm a lefty, I changed my WASD cluster to the numpad, and I would get issues when pressing 8 & 4 on the numpad, 0 would not activate. Moved my WASD cluster to pl;' but not had any issues since then.

Is that with PS/2 or USB?

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Browns for the office.
Blues for the bachelor pad (gotta impress the ladies).
Blacks for video games.
Reds for the infirm and elderly.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I'm pretty sure I used keytweak to setup multimedia keys on my filco.

http://www.tucows.com/preview/327616

I used the / and * and + and - on the keypad and it works great.

Salt Fish fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jul 6, 2011

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

weapey posted:

Really smashed the keyboard today at work, where I have a Filco with blues, and really began to feel some RSI in my right wrist by the end of the day (didn't have a problem at all before I became a ReSharper ninja) Don't get me wrong - it would have been much worse with a crappy keyboard.

Despite what some people have hinted at in this thread there is no reason to think a fancy mechanical keyboard would be more ergonomic than a regular membrane keyboard. Keyboard shape determines egro qualities, switches determines the feel.

Get a Kinetic if you want both at once.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

404notfound posted:

Now I'm a little paranoid. In what way are the wire puller scratching the keys? As far as I can tell, it should just slip around the bottom of the key and pull it upward without any sharp edges or whatever. Is the wire itself digging into the bottom edge of the keycaps?

I think people are scratching adjacent key-faces while inserting the puller.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Shofixti posted:

How much did you pay in customs? Ideally I want the same keyboard you got - WASD brown. I'm trying to decide between the limited Canadian selection or paying extra to import something.

You suggested just getting the Das instead. Can anyone comment on WASD browns vs Das browns? Is there much of a difference?

The switch itself will be identical. Anytime you hear "blues" or "browns" it is a reference to the Cherry company (officially ZF Electronics) which makes mechanical switches. Cherry classifies their different switches by color, but no other company uses a similar scheme.

Salt Fish fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Sep 27, 2011

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

jwoven posted:

Why not disable it, or set it to something else? You can use mapkeyboard to map any key to any other key.
I have capslock set to backspace and backspace disabled, and it's much more comfortable.

Whoa! Thats a good idea. I'm going to switch the two when I get home. My hand gets super tired from reaching up with my pinky to backspace all drat day.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Maybe the glossy finish will make you more careful about keeping it nice. I started out being super careful around my filco, but slowly I started eating closer and closer to it.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
You use your thumb to hit alt? That would destroy my hands. You should relearn that as a ring finger motion.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Alt+X and Alt+Z are a single finger keystrokes. :colbert:

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Robolizard! posted:

leopolds (at least the tenkeyless) do way more than the 6kro thats standard on a lot of these nicer mechs, its estimated at 17kro.

I can not imagine a time where you're going to be in a situation where you are hitting more than 6 keys at once though.

The wrist thing is kinda cool though.

2 player game on 1 keyboard. For the love of liero, you should know this kind of thing.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

EvilMuppet posted:

Are there any plain looking boards that feel like a Black Widow? I've tried two other brands with blues (Leopold and DAS.) neither of them are anywhere near as nice and clicky.

http://www.amazon.com/Filco-Majestouch-2-Metallic-Keyboard-FKBN104MC2-AI/dp/B004X4TA7S/ref=pd_sim_sbs_e_3

I have one in black because they were sold out of the metallic blue, but I wish I had one of these instead.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

beze posted:

ugh, what kind of problems did you run into with blank keycaps? I could only imagine.

Maybe you could use these: http://www.myglowkeys.com/

I don't know how good they are, the site boasts that they will last 10 years, I thought about getting them myself.

The problems are probably ~!@#$%^&*()_+{}|"?><:`\[]';/., just takes some practice. If you code a lot its probably not a big deal.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

canada jezus posted:

Is there a best option for ordering mechanical azerty keyboards? If it was just a matter of switching around the wasd keys i'd just buy a qwerty das and call it a day, but all the little ù and $]* differences are going to drive me insane i just know it. Ideally i would be able to turn my keyboard into a rainbow of colours, customization wise but hey if i can't no biggie.

Also does it matter what kind of mechanical switch is used for games? I'd prefer silent so, i guess, black or brown, but which of those two then.

You can get a custom layout from WASDkeyboards and make every ù and $]* in the correct spot and then just change your keyboard profile at the OS level.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Clanpot Shake posted:

Out with the old, in with the oldschool. Just got my Cherry Brown WASD and plugged it in. Here it is in all it's retarded :pcgaming: glory:

Namesake keys with gaming labels!

Very important function buttons!

numpad/media, arrow, and the rarely used buttons

This thing feels a lot nicer to type on than my old rubber dome (the Dell one of the mods posted a while back), haven't tried gaming on it yet. The font is Futura 8/12/16.

The keys are laser etched, which you can feel with your fingertips on some of the larger printed keys (notably WASD and windows), but I don't notice it much when typing. And apparently I bottom out all the time when I type, because I'm hearing every keystroke. The key registers much higher than I press, but I'm not sure it matters.

Two criticisms: The bottom key row is a little bit lower than I'm used to, so pressing Ctrl+Shift feels much more uneven (awkward going between tabs). Also, you can see a little metal bar underneath the spacebar. Not a big deal, but I noticed it.

This is maybe the best custom WASD layout I've seen so far. Now I want a keyboard that just says "crouch" on the control buttons. Plus I would like telling people to push Crouch+Talk+Indent for task manager.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

HalloKitty posted:

Instead of shoe-horning gaming text onto my keyboard, I use this to game on now:

It wasn't all that easy to find, and it still has ZBoard branding everywhere on it. Steelseries now sells them. It's the Fang.
Only vaguely relevant, but it doesn't seem like there's a category for these type of things.

Its not shoe-horning, its ART :mad:

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
No, thats bland and uninspiring. The font choice and color choice are just disappointing.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Fangs404 posted:

Is there any multimedia key ONLY keyboard? Basically, I'm looking for something specialized like those wacky gaming keyboards:

But instead of for gaming, I'd like it to be media keys only (volume, mute, next, pause, etc.).

What do you think about a wireless remote control?

http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Control-Infrared-Receiver-Ultimate/dp/B00224ZDFY/ref=pd_sim_e_1

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Shogunner posted:

Doesn't that only work for WMP?

It depends on how the remote works. If it uses some kind of software in between the USB stick and WMP then yes, but if they work like keyboard media keys do they probably emulate a keyboard pressing a shortcut. That is, when you press the media key your computers sees ALT+SHIFT+N or whatever. You can then rebind your shortcuts to be those, or if it comes with software rebind the button itself to a different shortcut.

edit: this one specifically supports winamp for example

http://www.amazon.com/Center-Remote-Control-Infrared-Receiver/dp/B001HBOJRQ/ref=sr_1_10?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1327189082&sr=1-10

Salt Fish fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jan 22, 2012

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

jwoven posted:

They reset faster. Cherry switches actuate around halfway down, so you could just barely tap the switch, it'll register, and you're ready to go again. Even if you bottom out, it still springs back faster than a membrane board.
Black switches spring back faster than red ones, which are faster than brown, which are about the same as clear, which is still faster than blue.

I've been in diamond every season in sc2 and play around 180 apm and I have never noticed any difference between blues and membrane for playing effectiveness. I think the idea that different switches are better or worse for gaming/typing is mostly hype.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

canada jezus posted:

So the switches, in your opinion, its just personal preference sound and feel wise? Because its hard to actually find info i this, beyond "reds make you mistype, blacks make your fingers tired, lol not blues for games.

I'm asking because as soon as wasdkeyboards gets their fullcustom iso 105 thing up i'm ordering one but i'm stuck on switches for an equal split game/typing pc.

Thats my personal opinion yah. Although I would go for browns if I got another mechanical. I really like my Filco with blues, but its a little loud and a little heavy/huge. I'm going to scoop one of those choc minis as my next keyboard so I can carry it in my laptop bag for when I'm offsite coding all day on my crappy laptop keyboard.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Nah, you just can't put a full-size keyboard into a laptop bag. Its like 16" or something.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Does kinesis have a model with real keys for the top row? I use vim constantly and the bad reviews of the escape key specifically is the last thing holding me back from picking one up.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

leper khan posted:

Is there any reason you couldn't remap one of the keys on the thumbs?

For me personally 250+ dollars is the price range where I feel that I should be extremely picky about a keyboard. If its a matter of waiting a year and 50/50 they release a fully mechanical version then I'll wait a year.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

TWBalls posted:

I have a Kinesis Advantage (Cherry Brown switches) I no longer use that you can buy. Not sure how much a fair price for a used one is though. I know I paid way too much for it a couple of years ago.

If you're serious about selling it put it on SA mart and if you do, please PM me.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Is anyone looking for a HHKB2 torpre with blank keycaps? I was using it and a kinesis advantage back and forth for a few months and the kinesis won. I love topre but the ergonomics are too valuable to me because I type 10+ hours a day professionally. Let me know and I can kick an SA mart thread. It's got 2 months of use but I kept it very clean.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
It has arrow keys! Getting used to function + the letters took like 15 minutes. It's honestly the best non-ergo layout I've used and I loved the ctrl and backspace positions.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Having said that though let me also say that the kinesis advantage layout blows it out of the water.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

abraham linksys posted:

the tilde/backtick+delete keys on the HHKB seem like they would take forever to get used to

I'm liking my Poker 3 after I set up a combined ctrl/escape binding on the caps lock key though. Though I've had to learn to wait a second after tapping the key for escape, because if I hit another key too quickly afterwards it'll register as Ctrl+[key]. Might be able to adjust that in the software I'm using for this binding, though

I found that it took about a week to feel comfortable using it and about 3 weeks to be 100% confident using all the keys, backtick, braces, pipe etc. I work on the linux command line a lot which made sure I used all those keys pretty often and I also have the blank keycaps which made it take a bit longer than it would have otherwise. I found a similar learning curve on the kinesis, 5 days or so before I wasn't thinking about how it was harder, 3 weeks until I was 100% operational.

I would say also that the learning period was the most fun.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Keyboard thread, a question: What do I do to the person who spilled an entire can of honey roasted peanuts, including the sticky honey-nut dust in the bottom, on my brand new mechanical keyboard? :argh:

Combine high proof iso, q-tips, a keycap puller and an hour.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Cancelbot posted:

I definitely made a mistake buying a razer blackwidow for coding, its so drat clicky and loud (and its a razer :v:). The youtube videos of various switch types makes me think all mechanicals are loud, but these are my requirements:

- Quiet, the razer echoes around the room my PC is in
- Has a nice bump, think apple chiclet style
- Light keys

I suspect that means cherry MX brown or similar?

Topre. Cherry switches are for teenagers who are trying to rebel against rubber cups, but an adult understands that mature rubber technology makes a superior keyboard.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Someone at work asked me what my keyboard was so I googled it to give them a link and this was one of the results:

http://www.autismenabled.com/p-19677-advantage-pro-contoured-usb-keyboard.html?gclid=CP6ppZOyr8wCFQqKaQodtooO7A

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Lungboy posted:

No specific budget at the moment, but paying over £100 for a keyboard would probably give me a heart attack. I really don't need all the flashy lights and programmable doohickeys, just nice keys and some kind of backlight so I can see what's going on in the dark.

Main price consideration is that a mechanical switch will cost somewhere between 30c to $1+ per individual switch. When you multiply this out x100 keys you end up with a pricey product. Things like LEDs don't really add that much to the base cost of those switches.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Geirskogul posted:

Topre are rubber dome pretending to be a mechanical switch.

One hot summer's day a Fox was strolling through an orchard till he came to a bunch of Grapes just ripening on a vine which had been trained over a lofty branch. "Just the thing to quench my thirst," quoth he. Drawing back a few paces, he took a run and a jump, and just missed the bunch. Turning round again with a One, Two, Three, he jumped up, but with no greater success. Again and again he tried after the tempting morsel, but at last had to give it up, and walked away with his nose in the air, saying: "I am sure they are sour."

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Platystemon posted:

It works the other way around, too: people who drop beaucoup bucks on something are loath to admit it sucks.

The most expensive keyboard I own has browns though so you can trust me.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Platystemon posted:

Trap sprung.

I would pay upwards of $600 for a kinesis with topre and I'd probably get two of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
After years of struggling with wrist problems I can't give up the shape that finally solved my issues. I will take the kinesis form-factor over any other, switches be damned. I strongly recommend them to anyone with RSI. I was considering surgery when I got mine and 6 months later I'm totally back to normal.

• Locked thread