Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
delslo
Sep 20, 2003

Model Camper posted:

4lyfe

Seriously, I use this thing with everything. I keep it in my backpack at all times. I use it with my 15" MBP when I don't feel like dealing with the heat of the computer (freaking unibodies). I use it with my Mac Mini at home in my living room. I use it with my Nokia E71 to take notes in class instead of using a full laptop. In fact, the only place I don't use this keyboard is at work, where I use a 10+ year old MS split keyboard.

Now if only Apple would create a Bluetooth version of the MBP's giant multi-touch trackpad I'd be in heaven.

I'd like to second these, they're great. Actually, Apple's USB wired full keyboard is pretty awesome also. The current "chicklet" keyboards they are putting in the laptops, desktop/external keyboards are really nice. good key feel, not much noise, but just enough. Easy to press, good key travel... Makes for some pretty fast typing.

(I've currently got 2 unibody macbook pro's with them, a macbook air with them, usb wired at work on my dell tower, Bluetooth at home on my Mac Pro.)

Thanks to these keys, I've dropped Logitech keyboards like a hot rock.

edit: +1 for bluetooth with attached multitouch trackpad... really want one of those

delslo fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Aug 20, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

delslo
Sep 20, 2003

Jetfire posted:

Are the Dell keyboards still in high demand these days? Pretty good key-feel for around ten bucks a pop, unless there have been developments in the "good basic and cheap" category lately.

The ones we had been getting for the last few years @ work from Dell were horrible, standard, cheapo disposable keyboards. The new multimedia ones we got with the E series laptops seem much better as far as key feel. No word yet if they will last any longer.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/I_O_Devices/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&cs=19&sku=330-2486

I use one as a second keyboard because it's free. Not sure if I'd pay money for one though.

delslo
Sep 20, 2003

Aaah, this thread was just what I was looking for, thanks SHSC!

I'm in the market to replace my keyboard at work. 2 glasses of water in a day (yearly quota) on my Apple USB extended keyboard killed it. So as a spare, I've been using one of the crappy Dell OEM keyboards that we've got around here.

What I'm used to:
The current Apple keyboards (macbook pro and USB keyboards) are the best I've used. I like the chicklet keys and the light, quiet key presses.

I don't mind buying another. however, since I have to buy a new keyboard, I'd like to see if there are any better options out there.

What I'm looking for:
A mechanical keyboard with a light key press and little to no click. The description of the Cherry brown switches seem to match. I wouldn't mind modding it (o-ring or foam pads, etc) to make it a bit quieter if needed. It should have arrow keys, but I don't mind if it does or doesn't have a number pad. Smaller footprint would be better but not necessary. USB obviously. Blank or printed key caps are fine :).

What I don't need:
a fully reprogrammable gaming keyboard with bells and whistles.

Use case:
I'm a sys admin. I'll be using this for work, general typing and computer interaction. Little or no gaming (however, any gaming would be FPS, WASD)

I've seen a bunch of good recommendations come out of this thread, hopefully someone knows of something to fit what I want.

Oh, and a humor option is the Cool Leaf keyboard. Gotta say, it looks awesome, but probably a gimmick and not great to type on:
https://www.dynamism.com/accessories/cool-leaf-keyboard.shtml

Thanks

delslo
Sep 20, 2003

glompix posted:

Browns will be good for you and good for everybody. It will eat you up, and you'll want to try every switch you can get your hands on in no-time.

http://elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=leopold,fullsize&pid=fc500rtabn
http://elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=leopold,tenkeyless&pid=fc200rtabn
http://elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=leopold,fullsize&pid=fc500rrabn

Amazingly these are all the same price! Blank is way cooler you should get blank. The last one is a red switch, which is very similar to brown switches, except that there isn't a bump in the keystroke to let you know you've actuated. That makes it actually lighter than browns. I've heard people say that you end up typing so fast anyway that you just bottom out and don't notice the missing bump, so it might be a good alternative as well.

Awesome, thanks. I was just looking at overclock.net's guide also. They have a great visual description of the switch types ( http://www.overclock.net/keyboards/491752-mechanical-keyboard-guide.html#post6009482 ) and based on the description, the red switch is the closest to what I'm looking for :)

delslo
Sep 20, 2003

teraflame posted:

The leopolds end up being the same price as WASD, consider that as well. I think browns or reds would be good for you. For browns, you don't really notice the tactile bump when typing anyway since its so subtle.

http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/products/wasd-v1-semi-custom-mechanical-keyboard.html

Thanks, those WASD's are cool. However, they don't currently offer the Cherry MX Red switches. I submitted an information request on that. They replied:

quote:

We are getting Red versions sometime in December. Thank you.

Think I'll go with http://elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=leopold,fullsize&pid=fc500rrabn + firm landing pads for now :)

delslo
Sep 20, 2003

Taima posted:

There's something really awesome about the brown's tactile bump, in my opinion. Sometimes I just tap a key slowly when I'm thinking about something or daydreaming, it's pleasant as hell.

And while yes, you can't really feel the tactile bump in normal fast typing, it feels awesome when you're doing any other kind of typing. Like in early game Starcraft 2 when you're just leisurely tapping out build orders. Oh god that is awesome on browns.

Do the browns activate at or after the bump?

delslo
Sep 20, 2003

I ordered the Leopold Linear Touch Otaku w/ cherry red switches on Friday. Got order processing confirmation on Saturday. Now I'll be wearing out the F5 :f5: key in anticipation of it shipping and arriving.

It's the fullsized one, they don't carry tenkeyless with red switches. Next up will probably be finding low profile/flat keys for it. Have to admit that it's kinda funny that there is a market for modifying keyboards.

delslo
Sep 20, 2003

Figured I'd ask this here, since it pertains more to keyboards and mice...

I'm looking for a box that will allow me to plug in at least two USB 2.0 devices (Keyboard, mouse mainly) and switch them between two (or more) computers independently. At least one PC and one Mac. Self powered would be preferable to keep from getting hub power exceeded warnings.

I don't need video switching with this, ONLY USB. The problems I've run into are that the ones I've found have either been discontinued, are only usb 1.slow, only for a single peripheral (printer switches), or don't function well. Another criteria is fast switching. I don't want to wait for 2-5 seconds after every switch before being able to use the keyboard/mouse to be usable.

Something like this HAS to exist, right?

Oh, I'm not looking for a LAN based solution here, I've been using those for a while. I want a physical switched connection for this.

Thx!

delslo
Sep 20, 2003

xelpmoc posted:

I bought a Kensington ShareCentral 2 a while back. They might be discontinued now, but I know they made versions for up to five USB devices.

It does take a second or so to switch, and then there's a weird delay of a few seconds before switching back will work but it has worked well for me.

Cool, the Kensington ShareCentral was my first choice... However, they've apparently been discontinued, I wasn't able to find one new anywhere.

delslo
Sep 20, 2003

Thanks for doing the testing. I had done that type of testing (USB only) before and it was a pain. I will admit, I did the testing with some older d-sub KVM's and rack KVM's.

The unfortunate part is, it looks like KVM is the only viable option. I was hoping for a better alternative (preferably with individual switchable USB ports vs "one button switches all")

delslo
Sep 20, 2003

:D Leave it to me to find/want a niche product category that doesn't exist (yet). I guess I could always just pick up and learn Arduino or something like that, build a box that passes USB traffic through, switches between inputs and outputs, and keep USB alive when it's not passing data.

:effort:

delslo
Sep 20, 2003

Just received my Leopold 'Otaku' keyboard with Cherry MX Red switches. This thing is nice. Key presses are rather light and smooth. the noise isn't bad, I've been installing the "Soft-Landing pads" (firm) that I ordered with the keyboard. They don't make the key presses silent, but they greatly reduce the noise when you bottom out.

Other things I've noticed so far
- The weight. At 2lb 14oz, it wants to stay put.
- They must not have sold many of this specific model: my serial number is 0000009
- The removable mini USB jack/cord is nice. It doesn't work with the 15' long USB -> USB mini cable I use for my portable DAC. Oh well.
- The printless key caps are as easy to use as I was expecting. They may even help as a hurdle to prevent drunken systems administration. For general typing, I've only made a small handful of wrong key mistakes.
- Without the soft landing pads, the bottoming out is a solid click. With the soft landing pads, they do pretty much that: the bottoming out becomes sort of "mushy." which is fine. It shouldn't bother me once I have all of the keys dampened.

It's great to type on though. Once I get started, I don't want to stop typing. I thought the tall keycaps would bother me, I may still try to find some low profile keys for it, but for now, they're fine.

Anyway, time to stop rambling on and on and hit submit. Thanks for the recommendations! I think this one is a keeper.

delslo
Sep 20, 2003

So I brought the Leopold home for the weekend... The nice thing is: black on black on black- it becomes invisible on the keyboard tray of my desk. The bad thing is: It doesn't fit very well on the keyboard tray between the 17" MBP and Razor exactmat. The condensed USB Apple (same form factor as the Apple BT keyboard but discontinued) fits GREAT. These are all 0thworld problems though.

If I really do like the Red switches though, I'll spend more time and patience finding a tenkeyless or condensed keyboard for home.

Or perhaps even try out a HHKB2 Pro :D or something else with arrow keys.

I think what I like most about the red switches is that they are almost the exact oposite of what most people equate to mechanical keyboards (IBM M, hard, clunky keys). They seem to be mechanical switches for those of us who prefer light scissor switches.

And now to finish putting the dampeners in... :hchatter:

delslo
Sep 20, 2003

ClosedBSD posted:

But the sound of bottoming out is the best part...

I will admit, the sound is more intoxicating than I was expecting...

delslo
Sep 20, 2003

Khorne posted:

My keys are too loud even when I don't bottom out. I let go of the key too fast or something, because I can make them too loud without the switch on my MX browns even actuating (key press doesn't register.) I somehow doubt dampeners will help me much, but if I end up picking up a leopold red I will pick up some dampeners with it. Too bad they don't make a tenkeyless red. I don't think I can ever go back to having a numpad.

From what someone was saying and what the graphs indicate, the Browns don't activate until just after the click ( http://elitekeyboards.com/support.php?lang=en#1a ). That's why I went with the reds. I've seen a few tenkeyless reds in my search, but you're going to be waiting on it getting shipped from HK or CN.

I just installed the firm "soft landing pads" on the Leopold. While the bottoming out sound isn't nearly as intoxicating as it was, it's much improved from a usability standpoint. They don't completely get rid of the sound, but they make it softer.

delslo
Sep 20, 2003

Damnit, now I want another. I really like this Leopold w/ Cherry MX Red switches. However, it doesn't fit my desk at home very well. I'm also curious about how the Cherry Reds compare to Topre switches.

So I'm looking for another keyboard for home. Here are the criteria:

- smaller form factor, tenkeyless or more condensed. I know it'll be impossible to beat the small Apple keyboard form factor, but it's worth a shot :)
- must have Arrow keys (would prefer native unless someone can convince me of another option that will work).
- Topre switches

Elitekeyboards has the Realforce 87U which would fit the requirements. However, I'm looking for some other options as well. This time around, I don't mind going to ebay/HK if needed to order one.

Any suggestions? Thanks again!

delslo
Sep 20, 2003

glompix posted:

Not entirely. They're still jizzed upon by keyboard enthusiasts, and the rubber part really has nothing to do with the key activating, unlike a true 10$ membrane. The rubber is just there for key feel. This is the Bentley of keyboards we're talking about okay! :mad:

And this is why I want to try one... call it professional curiosity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

delslo
Sep 20, 2003

glompix posted:

Another thing I'm going to say is that you should never hunt for keys playing an RTS game. Backlighting is just something that makes keyboards look cool unless you actually can't touch type. Yeah, the m key is pretty far away and you only hit metabolic boost once per game, but if you can just hit the key without looking down you're much better off.

Robolizard means "also topres loving own probably"

I can touch type well enough to use this blank key Leopold... But I still like having the backlit keyboard on my macbook pro. It just makes it easier to quickly place my index fingers in the right place when I start typing in the dark. Visual nubs. That said, if you're hunting and pecking when you're playing a game, you're probably already dead. Re-map your keys to things easier to find.

• Locked thread