Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sizerp
Dec 3, 2003
t3h pwn
I had the DECK Legend, which was fun for awhile (and it sounded like a rainstorm when I was typing), but the travel distance on its keys was way too far - compared to the G15 I use now it cut my WPM by atleast 10. I quite like my G15 - not too involved, and it types pretty cleanly (though I can't be bothered to watch the screen on it in any game I play).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sizerp
Dec 3, 2003
t3h pwn
I just impulse bought a Realforce 86UB Tenkeyless.

Its hard (impossible) to truley justify $300 for a keyboard but I figured gently caress why not - I'm curious about how Topre keys compare to blacks/browns/blues.

I will report back.

sizerp
Dec 3, 2003
t3h pwn
Getting antsy - my Realforce 86UB is stuck in customs ...

I'm sure its just a matter of time but I just want it to be here now.

sizerp
Dec 3, 2003
t3h pwn

ClosedBSD posted:

I've always heard this as the reason why, but to be honest I've never played a game where more than 1-2 keys + modifiers were used for anything, with the exception of a laptop keyboard that prevented me from crouch jumping in counter-strike.

I remember hitting the rollover cap on my keyboard very frequently playing WoW years ago - (W & D moving forward and on an angle, alt-f1 to activate an ability and jumping with spacebar at the same time - I believe that's the combo that always used to bite me, took weeks to figure out what was going on)

sizerp
Dec 3, 2003
t3h pwn
Finally got my Realforce Topre variable weight keyboard in.

I've only been using it for a half hour or so and can't really say whether its a major improvement (which means it likely isn't) but it is significantly quieter than a black/brown mechanical keyboards I've used in the past and feels at least as good.

The absolute best aspect of the keyboard is that the keys actuate with very shallow keypresses - almost alarmingly shallow actually. I will need to really get used to this, but once I do, I can see if having a massive impact on my typing.

sizerp
Dec 3, 2003
t3h pwn

shrughes posted:

It's kind of like the drab, unremarkable taste of water. That's what you want when you get water.

That really hits the nail on the head. Topre keys just work - they work nicely, though not really commanding attention, but there's nothing remarkable going on - its just a good solid key that melds the benefits of your 10$ OEM throwaway (noise levels) with a good portion of the feel improvement you get from truer mechanics switches.

Unremarkable but good. Probably not $300 good.

sizerp
Dec 3, 2003
t3h pwn

Risky posted:

http://elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=topre_keyboards,realforce

Why the gently caress are these 200+ dollars?

Because with no other keyboard do you get a 'good feeling of oneness with rubber cup'.

That is, of course, a direct quote from my Realforce box.

http://geekhack.org/showwiki.php?title=Topre+Realforce+Reference+-+all+things+topre

sizerp
Dec 3, 2003
t3h pwn

Sizzlechest posted:

Congratulations. You have a skill that's been obviated by modern technology. Do you find it difficult using a Dvorak layout on your smartphone?

The difference between 30 wpm and 100 wpm over the course of a year ... means you get to spend a lot less time working and get more time to dick around on the internet than some of your slower typing co-workers.

sizerp
Dec 3, 2003
t3h pwn

HKS posted:

I tried my first realforce keyboard today and it changed my life.

I use a filco brown daily, before that a filco blue, before that a das blue and then membranes+buckling spring in the past.

The realforce keys do not feel anything like a membrane keyboard, I don't know where that common comparison came from. The realforce keys feel like cherry browns without the "dirtiness" and "scratchiness" when you are close to the actuation point. What the realforce feels like is if the key switches are on magnets and as you press down, it actuates and you feel resistance when the magnets get closer but never quite touch, it feels like it has no mechanical mechanisms underneath.

It feels like zen and keyboard bliss, it is the same advancement in "clean" keyboard feel from blue > brown as brown > topre. If you were a giant and your keyboard keys were made out of maglev trains, that's how realforce feels like.

Saving up for Realforce 87u now, these keyboards are no joke.

I bought an 86ub a few weeks back ... now I am working on scoring another one, or an 87, to use at home. My only issue now is whether a variable weight keyboard is ideal for home use where I do a bit of gaming .. hmm (or if I need to track down a uniform version)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sizerp
Dec 3, 2003
t3h pwn
Just bought (second hand - like new) a happy hacker 2 pro, black (printed keys) with an additional set of white (printed) keys, a red esc, lavender WASD, and a dust cover.

I paid less, shipped, that retail on a happy hacker without any additional bits/pieces - considering selling either the black or white key set to try and make myself feel better (for still having spent considerably more than I feel good spending on a keyboard).

I've been using a Realforce 86UB for the past month-ish and love it, so hopefully this is a nice complement (will bring the Realforce home and use the HHKB at work).

Parcel slated to arrive Monday.

• Locked thread