Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender
Is there such a thing as a Bluetooth keyboard that can switch between two computers on the fly? I've always used wired devices with a KVM up til now, but would like to free up a USB port on my laptop. A BT device capable of changing which system it's currently paired with would rock...but I haven't seen any and assume it's too much of a niche desire :( Has anyone seen anything along these lines?

(Yes, aware of VNC and Synergy.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender
Bit the bullet and ordered a Filco tenkeyless brown-switch board via a Japanese proxy, since they're so hard to find around here. Hoping it'll be a nice upgrade from my Comfort Curve 2000, both in terms of width (so sick of having the mouse way out in right field) and key action. Tad worried about the noise but figure it'll be worth it, especially if I learn not to bottom out or use some O-rings.

Would've been nice if there was an option for a non-expensive keyboard with that sort of tenkeyless-but-otherwise-normal layout, but none exist (they all have annoying key layouts and/or tiny keys) and it sounds like mechanical keys are pretty drat nice, so I expect it'll work out :D

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

coldfire07 posted:

Which Japanese proxy, and how much was it?

Debating between doing a similar thing or ordering the one with Cherry blues.

Celga.com, on recommendation from my wife who hangs out with a lot of Japanophiles online. The full price isn't clear yet as they split the process up into order and ship steps and only charge a deposit initially, based on estimates.

The keyboard itself is ~9000 yen on Amazon.co.jp (rounding up) or $107 USD, then Celga charges ~$5 USD for their internal ship cost and like a $2 USD bank fee, resulting in a $114 deposit.

Then shipping via EMS from them to me should be something like 2800 yen or ~$35 USD, for a grand total of $150, if the deposit amount was actually all they end up needing for the internal buy/ship.

(But I thought the Cherry Blues were a lot easier to get ahold of -- did EliteKeyboards run out of that tenkeyless too? Oy vey.)

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender
Finally got/unpacked my tenkeyless Filco w/ browns. It's real nice! And so small!

Still getting used to the keys and the layout (my prior board was a Comfort Curve 2000 so I have to slightly readjust to the fully straight rows) but having the mouse be far closer to my center makes my mouse hand/arm very happy.

• Locked thread