Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
modeski
Apr 21, 2005

Deceive, inveigle, obfuscate.
I've read through this thread and I'm none the wiser; a bit overwhelmed by choice.

At the moment I'm using a Logitech Y-BN52...

..and have been for 2.5 years, but I'm sick of it now and want a change.

Does anyone have any recommendations for keyboards that meet the following critera?

- Wired (PS/2 or USB)
- No media keys or any of that poo poo
- Responsive
- Quiet
- Black

Just a non-fussy, well made keyboard that'll suit for gaming and every day internettery.

modeski fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Sep 15, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

After a bit more reading I think I'm going to go with the Logitech Illuminated Keyboard. Has anyone here got this and have anything good/bad to say about it? Call me cautious, but the keyboard is something we all use every day so I want to me totally sure before I get the credit card out.

RichestManInTown posted:

Logitech Illuminated Keyboard

List Price: $79.99

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

Lum posted:

Non-standard keyboard layout, it has a massive Delete key which means that another key (most likely Insert) has been either removed or moved to a retarded place.

Is that the only thing different? I'm currently using another Logitech Keyboard with a massive delete key, and it hasn't been a problem for me so far, so I can't imagine it being an issue in the future. I guess I don't use Insert too much!

EDIT: VVV I can totally understand how it'd be an annoyance to many people, though.

modeski fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Sep 17, 2009

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

Alrighty, after much deliberation I've just ordered the Logitech Illuminated Keyboard. Thanks for the advice, all.

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

Joe Don Baker posted:

I just bought one and plugged it in. It feels nice and looks snazzy.

Ditto. Mine arrived yesterday and I'm amazed at just how thin it is. I was a teeny bit worried about the feel of the keys before I got it, but this feels a lot more solid than some laptops, and since it's full size I can still touch type with ease.

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

EnergizerFellow posted:

So how you liking yours? I bought one and it's just as good as the Lenovo. I really appreciate the steel slab they put in the keyboard to weight it down.

I'm really liking it, although sometimes the space bar doesn't work on first press, which is quite annoying. I haven't use it for games yet, though, so that hasn't proved too much of a hassle. I was considering prising the spacebar off but I don't know if it'd go back on again.

Overall I like the feel and the action of the keys, and it's really quiet, which is a great benefit when I want to use it late at night after people are asleep.

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

Joe Don Baker posted:

My spacebar is fine. I would suggest contacting Logitech for a replacement.

I just called Logitech and got a chilled-out Dutch dude. He told me to take it back to the shop, give them a reference number and they'll replace the keyboard for free. Hope they won't mind that I got rid of the original packaging!

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

Joe Don Baker posted:

I'm guessing you're not in the US. Glad their overseas service is just as good.

I picked up my replacement keyboard this afternoon. In and out of the shop in under a minute, that's what I call service.  On my way home from work to test it out now.
You correctly guessed that I am outside the US.  I'm in Australia and the Dutchman I got could have been a backpacker. Chalk me up as yet another customer highly impressed with their service.

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

Joe Don Baker posted:

How's that space bar working?

Like a loving champion. Flawless. I am a happy goon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

Twiin posted:

I will be honest with you, the idea of getting a keyboard without a numpad scares the poo poo out of me.

I'm with you on this. With the noble exception of my Spectrum 48k (with the rubber keys). I've never used a keyboard without a number pad, and the idea of doing so now fills me with some kind of primeval terror.

• Locked thread